St. Louis Kriek - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis KriekSt. Louis Kriek

good

good

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 11-09-2003

Reviews by jrallen34:
4.39/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a bottle in Amsterdam into a tulip.

This is one of the better lambics I've had.

The color is a dark red with a light pinkish head and minimal lacing.

It smells very fruity, mostly cherries is what I'm getting.

It tastes sweet, cherry is everywhere. with a very fine finish. (289 characters)

Served in a Lindemans lambic flute.

Pours a clear slightly pink crimson with a thick, also slightly pink white frothy head that lingers a while before dying out altogether. An initial thick halo heads the lacing, which gets prigressively thinner down the glass. The nose is loaded with sour cherries, with a bit of wood and greenery lurking from behind. The taste follows almost exactly, though the wood and greens are covered o'er by the cherries in the finish, whose taste tend toward cough syrup territory. Still, a very cherry-y flavor, with just the right amount of sour. The body is a light medium, with a lightly healthy carbonation and a fluid feel, making for a very high level of drinkability. (704 characters)

Always a nice beer to break out when the family is over. Besides, I usually have trouble finishing a bottle by myself. This beer opens with the standard deep red hue with stubborn pink head (that makes me laugh). Obvious aromas of tart cherries with a wine-like vineous quality. A complex sweet and tart cherry combo challenges the tastes. The feel is very bold thick, rich, nearly chewy viscocity. Finishes with ultimate tart, sweet cherry flavor. Always a success, but rarely a surprise. (489 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

375ml green bottle with a bottled on date of July 9th 2009.

LOOK: Heady, clear burgundy

SMELL: Cherry cough medicine, dried grass, yeast, musty.

TASTE: Crisp, sweet-tart, medicinal, cherry juice, oak, dryness.

At first smell and sip I though I was going to be taken over by sweetness ... even with a heavy push of cherry here there are other aspects that help the balance that out and show some depth. A respectable sweet lambic IMO. (438 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'll try this one for my 1st review, having enjoyed a few Belgian fruit lambics a few years ago in the Low Countries. This one pours a cranberry red, with a thick pink head. Nice lacing. Strong taste of sweet cherries, too sweet for my taste. Mouthfeel is of slightly carbonated cherry soda. Clean finish and no heavy aftertaste. Just a straightforward cherry brew, not at all complex. This one would pair well with an aged gouda or edam cheese. Not as complex as the ones I remember from Belgium, but not at all bad. (517 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +9.7%

The beer is a deep, bright opaque color with a red tone. It had a thin light pink head. The smell is of strong, sweet cherries, almost like cherry cough syrup. It had a flat cherry flavor. I kept waiting for the "kick" that beers like this have and it never came. It was good, enjoyable, but not fantastic. The finish was slightly sour which I enjoyed but would have preferred a more sour edge throughout to give this beer the extra kick it needed. (448 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a Maredsous chalice

Appearance: no head, clear, low carbonation-ruby red in color

Smell: sweet cherry candy

Taste: cherry candy, sourness, and honey

Mouthfeel: sweet start then the sour taste mixes, light bodied, medium carbonation

Drinkability: I like their other lambics better, but I could have a couple glasses of this. A nice warm weather beer that is more of an intro lambic. (398 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

2.08/5  rDev -40.9%

not a good beer, to sweet (25 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

2.83/5  rDev -19.6%

Deep garnet color with light pink head. Fairly decent lacing on my tulip glass.
Obviously, I get a good deal of cherry in the aroma, on the sweet side. The taste smacked me in the face with nostalgia: Luden's cherry cough drops. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I loved those cough drops. It's just not what I'd expect in my beer. There's a bit of tartness in the aftertaste too.
Not all that great, I don't think. Too syrupy and sweet for me, even if that's what I was in the mood for. (488 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Have to admit I don't know Krieks very well but this is too sweet for my blood. (79 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz pour into a St Louis flute at Burp Castle, NYC.

Pretty, clear, dark pink color with small light pink head. Aroma all cherries. Crisp and lively in the mouth, nice full sour cherry flavor, not too complex. A hint of lambic sourness, it's not as sweet as the Lindemann's stuff and therefore more enjoyable, but this is a scrubbed version of lambic, a far cry from the puckeringly sour and funky true lambics I have come to know and love. Enjoyable brew but the sweetness knocks drinkability down a notch. (509 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -23.9%

Meh. Pour was decent. Deep ruby, sparkling 2 finger light pink head. Decent retention. Smell is sweet, deep cherries. Not artificial, but I was expecting a bit of sourness out of this one, and it's not there.

The taste follows the aroma. Real lack of sour here. I guess it's not supposed to be a sour, which I was unaware of when purchasing. A bit too sweet for me, but the actual flavor of the cherries is nice, a very natural. (429 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

3.22/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours out a really clear bubbly pinkish red with one finger white small suds.
Smell is Cherry and oak and sugar malts.
Taste is sour and sweet cherry with a dark bitterness hiding just behind.
Mouthfeel is very clean and cold, this beer is very refreshing.
Overall I like this brewery and it's wonderful sour fruit beers. (321 characters)

St. Louis Kriek from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.