St. Louis Framboise - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis FramboiseSt. Louis Framboise

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-26-2005)

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012
1.95/5  rDev -48.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at Jungle Jim's. Was hoping for a classic Lambic but what I got was a sickeningly sweet beverage more soda like than anything.

The appearance is good. Ruby red with a scant head. The aroma is odd. VERY sweet. No funk, no acidity, nothing like a real fruit Lambic. The taste is more of the same. Soda sweetness. Yuck! No tartness, no acidity, just big, sugar sweetness. Artificially sweetened I'm sure. The yeast and bacteria make themselves known briefly. The mouthfeel was fine. The drinkability suffered because it tastes and drinks like high fructose corn syrup.

Avoid. Nothing like the offerings from some of Belgium's better breweries.

Brew33, Oct 22, 2010

chadwicktorres, Sep 16, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -42.3%

Just found this one (and its sibling the Peche) at the local store, my beer heaven in this beer desert. I didn't buy it for me, I bought it for my girlfriend who likes those "girlie beers" like Lindemans Framboise. The upside is that I can taste it and maybe review it while she has something she likes (I hope). So this is distilled from what she said and my own review.

Presentation/appearance: intense fruity red with an off-red/pink head that shows decent carbonation. Odd for a beer, but overall somewhat attractive and typical of these fruit bombs. Fairly clean and decent to look at.

Aroma is sweet and fruit. Artifical fruit. And the flavor follows through, just more intensely. The flavor does add a slight tartness that makes me think of SweetTarts (but not in a good way, like some other beers have). Slight musty end notes (lambic influence?) but very hidden behind the fruit. This level of sweetness actually hurts my jaw- that's the first time I've said that about mouthfeel!

The neasure of quality here is that my girlfriend left about half the bottle behind when she went to bed- she always finishes the Lindemans! And you know what, I'm leaving some behind too.

Not recommended.

Dukeofearl, Jul 23, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sitting at the bar, I think to myself, "I think I'll try this Belgian lambic, it's not Lindeman's so it's probably pretty sour, but not as sour as that Cantillon I had one time, that was a bit too sour for me." So I order the St. Louis and I get what is almost indistinguishably a raspberry soda. A nice color, sure, smells decent even, but it's just way to sweet, way too fizzy, and just kind of nasty. No balance. If you're looking for a traditional lambic, steer clear. If you're looking for a decent beer, you should probably look elsewhere. If you want a sweet raspberry soda-like beer and want to switch it up from Lindeman's this is the ticket.

At least my mom liked it, so we switched and I drank her EKU Pils.

akahn, Jul 02, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

A: Rich lacings, beige and thick. Clear red color. After a while the dissipation leaves rich lacings.

S: Smells a bit sweet. Lots of raspberries. Some faint brett in the back. This smell like hard candy Pez.

T: Rich raspberry taste, but sadly way too sweet.

M: Aftertaste is sweet. Body is medium and carbonation low.

O: This is not how I like my Lambics - this is like a beer with raspberry-lemonade.

Evil_Pidde, Sep 27, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -37%

On tap at the Hopcat

Pours a light pink hued head. Color is a dark bright ruby red.

Aroma: Raspberry jam and yeast. Some very faint tart notes here. Smell very artificial.

Taste: Artificial raspberry sweetness. Tastes like candy or raspberry pop-sickle. Not too much of a lambic in my opinion. Just too fake.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and sugary. Light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and clean with raspberries.

Overall, this is a pretty bad lambic. Not sour or tart. Taste was artificial. Not very drinkable.

mothman, Aug 04, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottled May 05, 2010. 12.7 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Framboise pours a deep red-brown color with a light pink head with very good retention and lacing. The aroma of raspberry preserves was noticeable even while pouring, so the strong raspberry sweetness in the aroma is hardly a surprise.

I am drinking this right after their Gueuze and I find it surprising that the base beer is completely dominated by raspberries... well, not technically the base beer but say the beers that started the same at different points in time? All I detect beneath the raspberries is a strange, chalky note.

The taste is way too sweet in an odd way, and that's when the sweetness should come as a pleasant change :/ I think it's sweeter than real raspberries, BUT the acidity is strong too. Anyway, I was curious and some googling yielded:

"This brew is made with fresh raspberry juice which is matured and blended with gueuze-lambic to produce a dry, sweet aperitif."

Yeah, this is way too sweet for the real fruit. I suppose this travesty is done to enhance the popular appeal, but to repeat myself once more, this is just too sweet!

The carbonation is ok but struggles to clean the sweetness off the palate. Eh, I am so disappointed, I don't even bother at this point.

4.5, 3, 2, 3, 2

tewaris, Nov 20, 2011
2.43/5  rDev -36.2%

Looks like a duplicate entry, this label is the closest resemblance. This is basically a fruit beer, not lambic in any traditional sense of the word.

Bang! Cork goes flying. Into a Duvel tulip it pours a high clarity scarlet red with a ring of pink foam. A weak skim tries to hold together across the surface but can't. A little bit of clingy lace at it's edges looks nice though.

Pure raspberry aroma, likely from the fruit juice/syrup. Nothing vaguely lambic about it, one dimensional sweet raspberry juice.

Flavor is more of the same, sweet raspberry candy. There is minimal tartness in this, don't fool yourself into thinking this is lambic at all, it's no different than a wine cooler. Aftertaste of raspberry juice. Slightly less sweetened than Lindemans, but basically the same thing.

Feels like carbonated raspberry juice, and drinks about the same. Not worth the money...mix with vodka I guess? Not recommended.

emerge077, May 17, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

leroybrown10, Oct 07, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

jfcaa193, Jun 01, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

Ok, so I am going to preface this by saying that this should be classified as a Flanders Red rather than a lambic, but I will rate it to the style shown here. I will mention that this is a passable attempt at a Flanders Red, so take what I've said and what I'm about to say into account if you are thinking of ordering this.

On tap at Eulogy, into a lambic flute.

Pours a beautiful ruby red, completely clear, with only wisps of head when it arrives. No lacing, and a swirl leaves a syrupy oily film on the glass. Looks like a lot of residual sugar for a lambic...

Aroma is sweet sweet sweet raspberries. No funk or sourness to be found. This was definitely back-sweetened. Same thing with the flavor, as a cloying sweetness overshadows the fresh taste of the raspberries. Syrupy and a bit too thick on the palate, a re-chracterization of this beer would do it good. If you like sweet fruit beers, this is one to try. If you are expecting a funky or sour lambic, stay away, because despite what others here have said, you aren't going to find anything remotely traditional here.

NittanyBeerFan, Jul 03, 2011

jaidenjb, May 09, 2012

Myst, Oct 13, 2012

jkane101, Jul 14, 2013

ejimhof, May 18, 2013

Pour is blood red with pink hues and a dark pink head. The nose is overly sweet and singular, loads of raspberry purée and raspberry syrup. Taste is just that with maybe a touch of tartness. Decent carbonation and syrupy feel. Simple and too sweet, no lambic notes or depth.

cpetrone84, Oct 09, 2012

This beer poured out a red body with a pink head and visible carbonation like you would expect from a Lambic Framboise. The smell and taste is of sour raspberries, and a crisp carbonated mouth feel. This beer would of been perfectly paired for some dark chocolates.

*Note while this beer was good it had no distinct qualitied that set itself apart from say Lindeman's Lambic Framboise.

cproioi, Jul 31, 2006

xnicknj, Dec 20, 2011

ADTaber, Aug 06, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Quite the opposite from the Weyerbacher Riserva I tried before this. It pours a dark ruby with a 2 finger head and smells of raspberry candy. Full on raspberry candy. Taste is similar. There is nothing tart about this, and I feel as though I am drinking a raspberry syrup. Sweet and thick from start to finish, this is more like a raspberry punch than beer.

taylor714914, Oct 30, 2013
St. Louis Framboise from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.