Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

St. Louis Framboise - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis FramboiseSt. Louis Framboise

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 04-26-2005

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

Picked this one up on a mini brewery tour. Found this at a round the corner store.

A - Pours a very thick dark purple. Lots of haze. Not a lot of carbonation. No head. Literally no head it dissipates as soon as it hits the glass.

S - Lots of raspberries and wild yeast. Very pungent upfront. No doubt what it is.

T - Very nice and fruity. Little sour then fruity and then funky at the end. Excellent taste but lacking the carbonation of a lambic.

M - Bad. Very thick and heavy. No carbonation after first sip. Literally. Little creamy but just no carbonation.

D - About average for me it was too sweet for the sour. I am having trouble finishing this 750ml and it is only 4%.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked this up at Whole Foods on Houston St. in the city on Halloween. I'm begnniing to move onto bigger-bottled imports and figured this would be a good beer to start on. I've never met a Belgian beer that I didn't like, and this proved no exception. Although the taste wasn't as complex as I wish, this is very drinkable and a pleasant brew both to sip, and to view!

The pour was good - a deep ruby hue with a plum head on top of it. The lacing isn't there, but seeing how thin this beer is, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. There's lots of raspberry here, but with a syrupy, carbonated feel to it. Think of an organic soda without the bubbles and you'll have some idea of what this tastes like. Not too tart, not too sweet, and not strong at all - this is perfect for after dinner and the novice drinker who's never had a lambic before. The syrup-like notes are the only ones that stick with the aftertaste. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to your preferences!

This has "session beer" written all over it! If I was given this blindfolded, I might think that it was a juice that was a bit past it's prime. I could easily see myself drinking a few lambics of this ABV% in a given night, but not more than a bottle of this one in a given sitting. This has a textbook taste and mouthfeel of a lambic, with the easy to drink aspects of a succint raspberry beverage. I'm glad I started my foray into big bottles on this!

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

My St. Louis tulip glass shuttered in anticipation as this clear, red, plum "juice" flowed from the bottle, only to be crowned with a thin, fizzy, pink veil.

The sweet, raspberry-jam aroma enticed even the non-beer drinker next to me to sample its bready goodness.

Mouth-puckering sweetness of a raspberry tart with a dry, green-apple finish.

A syrupy texture with soft carbonation and surprising alcohol warmth.

A second-tier lambic, St. Louis Framboise puts forth a fine example of this style, worthy of a festive breakfast or as an aperitif.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pours a nice cranberry red with a decent head

S : A good raspberry smell

T : Tastes raspberry like I was expecting with a slightly tartish taste to it. Not as sweet as Lindemans but not as tart as something from Cantillion

M : Good carbonation

D : Easily drinkable.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours purplish-amber. You know there is fruit there. Head is light. Aroma is distintly raspberry, though there is an undescribable funk in the finish. Tart, berry. Not subtle, but fun to drink, and light enough that it isn't going to get you soused. Lucious silky mouth. Drink as a refreshing dessert. I enjoy it, but can't imagine drinking two of them. You just wouldn't need to.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Little 330 ml bottle.

My wife, who doesn't really like real beer, or even many kinds of alcohol in general, loves this and the competing product from Lindeman's. Personally, I prefer the fruit lambics from Cantillon, enjoying their tarter taste. That being said, this isn't quite as sweet as the Lindeman's Framboise, but it is a modern, commercial fruit lambic, so purists likely will scoff. All of that being said, I find the St. Louis fram to be immensely drinkable and just plain fun.

2.43/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sitting at the bar, I think to myself, "I think I'll try this Belgian lambic, it's not Lindeman's so it's probably pretty sour, but not as sour as that Cantillon I had one time, that was a bit too sour for me." So I order the St. Louis and I get what is almost indistinguishably a raspberry soda. A nice color, sure, smells decent even, but it's just way to sweet, way too fizzy, and just kind of nasty. No balance. If you're looking for a traditional lambic, steer clear. If you're looking for a decent beer, you should probably look elsewhere. If you want a sweet raspberry soda-like beer and want to switch it up from Lindeman's this is the ticket.

At least my mom liked it, so we switched and I drank her EKU Pils.

4.48/5  rDev +17%

Absolutely gorgeious in the fluted glass--blood and cranberry red with light white fluffy head on tiop. Strong vinegar-lambic nose of wild yeast. Fruit is strong as well and spectacular, which just follows into the taste--lambic sour witha clear, clear, and balanced fruit--complex with every sip.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

this is a very delicious beer if you are in the mood for such a beer if not in the mood i could see this being very ungood with that said when poored it is a very dark red as i expected with a pink head also expected smells a bit syrupy and a bit like baccardi raz taste is once again good if you are in the mood all around a very drinkable beer easily the best i have had this year

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%

Absolutely delicious. Definitely a dessert drink.. and by that I mean, a drink you have in place of dessert! It was so fresh and tastey.. I had to have three glasses! The aroma of raspberries is overwhelming, and the taste will knock your socks off. Worth a try, as I think it may be one of the best in it's category.

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

Had this on tap one sunny afternnoon at Kelleher's in downtown Peoria after a long walk down the riverfront. Served in a tulip glass, this deep purple brew had a 1/2 finger head of pink foam that stuck around quite a while.

Smells of fresh tart raspberries. Not very complex, but the smell of raspberries is very acurate...very close to sticking your nose in a bowl of freshly picked raspberries.

Tastes like raspberries buried under a mound of sugar. Has a candied quality to it, like a raspberry lolly-pop. Again, not a lot going on except pure raspberry acid sweetness.

This one is the only framboise lambic I've tried other than Lindeman's which I enjoyed much more. This is ok, but nothin' special. I would reach for Lindemann's over this.

This beer poured out a red body with a pink head and visible carbonation like you would expect from a Lambic Framboise. The smell and taste is of sour raspberries, and a crisp carbonated mouth feel. This beer would of been perfectly paired for some dark chocolates.

*Note while this beer was good it had no distinct qualitied that set itself apart from say Lindeman's Lambic Framboise.

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

On draft at PIB.

It's pretty to look at, awesome red pink hue. Smells like raspberries that have been left in sugar overnight to be placed on the tops of crepes. I agree with the previous rater that depending on the day and one's mood this could be really good...(maybe with some fantastic chocolate) or over the top.

Drinks like a sweet mixed drink, but a REALLY good one. Some might think it's just a sweet lambic, but it does have more going for it than just a sweet outside. Plus it's darn tasty on a hot summer day, but I think it would also go quite well on a cool winter night. (Possibly in front of a fire....some music...yeah...)

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured out into a tall Lindemans fruit glass. Deep ruby red color with purple-pink head. Aroma is full of sweet raspberries. Pleasant no funkiness. Flavor is better: sweet but not as sweet as Lindemans or Liefmans. It's got a touch of earthy, sweaty, biting brett character. Tartness really develops in the finish. Moderate body, bigger than an unsweetened lambic.

This is one of the bettered sweetened framboises I've had, but it's still disappointing. It's my first St. Louis lambic, and I didn't know until opening it if it was a traditional lambic or a modern commercial one.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

$7, 7.5oz glass on tap at the Brickskeller in Washington DC.

Well worth the price, as this is not sold where I live. An absolutely delicous lambic. Wonderfully tart & sweet at the same time, but keeps an excellent balance, not tipping one way or the other. Light but not wimpy, absolutely refreshing. I could drink this stuff like it was juice. And I do. Liquid candy.

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

Just found this one (and its sibling the Peche) at the local store, my beer heaven in this beer desert. I didn't buy it for me, I bought it for my girlfriend who likes those "girlie beers" like Lindemans Framboise. The upside is that I can taste it and maybe review it while she has something she likes (I hope). So this is distilled from what she said and my own review.

Presentation/appearance: intense fruity red with an off-red/pink head that shows decent carbonation. Odd for a beer, but overall somewhat attractive and typical of these fruit bombs. Fairly clean and decent to look at.

Aroma is sweet and fruit. Artifical fruit. And the flavor follows through, just more intensely. The flavor does add a slight tartness that makes me think of SweetTarts (but not in a good way, like some other beers have). Slight musty end notes (lambic influence?) but very hidden behind the fruit. This level of sweetness actually hurts my jaw- that's the first time I've said that about mouthfeel!

The neasure of quality here is that my girlfriend left about half the bottle behind when she went to bed- she always finishes the Lindemans! And you know what, I'm leaving some behind too.

Not recommended.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Had this on-tap at Roman's Pub. It certainly has an interesting appearance; whether it's good or not depends on if you think cough syrup is attractive. It was capped by a very pink head that reminded me, morbidly, of the bloody froth that comes from people's mouths after a lung injury. Smells and tastes almost of straight raspberry, with a slight hint of a perfumy, floralness. You might think you were drinking pleasantly carbonated raspberry juice. It was so fruity that my girlfriend had to move on to "something more beery" after the first glass, which wasn't even a regular glass, maybe 8 oz. Basically, if you like raspberries, you will like this beer; otherwise, you will probably get sick to your stomach. Hell, you might get sick anyway, even if you do like raspberries.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

My first taste of this stuff is the first pour from a freshly tapped keg.
Clear, deep rosy red appearance, perfectly pink head of full, fluffy foam.
Aroma: all raspberry, nothin' else, tart, but not too much beyond what comes with that fruit's flavor.
Taste: Puckeration right at the start, just a pinch of mouth-gripping tart, then it all rounds off. A fruity affair, but clean and neat on the tongue, after that initial bite. A tasty tango in the mouth, but mostly smoothness owns the day. Lip-pursing continues with consecutive sips, as the tartness hangs in there.
Very light in body, though, with a long, tangy, fruit finish.
"Like soda pop!" said someone (with zero familiarity with the lambic style)who sampled this with me. Yeah, yeah...it is a commercial lambic, of that there is no doubt, but it makes for adequate dessert sipping, and isn't really bad at all.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
St. Louis Framboise from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.