St. Louis Premium Kriek - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Premium KriekSt. Louis Premium Kriek

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.20% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 09-14-2003

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 72 | Reviews: 36
Reviews by pinkano:
3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

A - dark amber, red with pretty much good head
S - very cherry, cherry juice
T - cherry, cherry juice, very refreshing and easy
M - low to medium body with medium carbonation
D - nice and drinkable

I do not have much experiences with lambic and gueuze, so I can't judge, but I like it somehow. I will maybe reconsider once I will know more lambic and gueuze beers.

3.53/5  rDev +9%

Pours with a big cherry nose with just a touch of tartness. Pours brilliant cherry color like a cherry wine under a ¼” pink tinted foam cap. Big cherry palate leaning towards the sweet side but just enough tartness to keep it from being cloying or falling into the soda pop category. Light, effervescent, refreshing, easy to drink but a little too sweet for my tastes.

2.24/5  rDev -30.9%

Well, well, I’ve posted on the forum before about these kind of beers. They are all very recent, contain a very low ABV and taste very artificially. Woman beers, I call them. Created by brewers to get more woman to drink beer. You all didn’t completely agree with my point, but anyway, here’s the review:

A very nice dark-red cherry colour with a cute pink fluffy head. Like all Kriek beers, to get a head, you will have to pour it in with some gentle aggressiveness. But nevertheless, a Kruik head never stays long. Mild carbonation.
Kriek beers are served in every kind of glass available. I had this one in a Stein.
This kriek has a very rich pallet of sweet odours, I thought I spotted a slight bitter hop smell too, but I could have been wrong. The chemical sweet odour is very overpowering.
The first taste gave the impression I was drinking a kind of grenadine sugary syrup. This beer really needs to be ice cold to be consumed. And very hot outside (like today ;-)). Very artificial sweet taste. Just like drinking some apple-cherry lemonade with a drop of alcohol in it.
I was quite surprised, but the aftertaste did have some sweet cherry touches. Still it seemed that these cherry’s where rapped in sticky honey.
The mouthfeel wasn’t any different. A very sweet sugary awareness in the back of your mouth.
Where is the Lambic gone to, I ask you? Quite disappointing…

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Out of a 750ml corked, caged, and foiled bottle. Pours an equal mix of honey and ruby with an average pale pink head. The aroma is lightly tart with cherry flavor. The taste is sweet and tart; sweet cherry juice flavor, enough of a sour aspect to balance out the brew. Its tasty, very much a beer soda. Moderate body with fizzy carbonation; sweet overall but not cloying (though I would stick to just one glass). I like it, its sweet but not cloying, drinkable due to the active carbonation. Again, beer soda. Not nearly sour or tart enough for true lambic lovers.

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

250ml can: Poured a bright red color beer with a small pink bubbly head with no retention. Aroma of fake cheery syrup is dominating and kind of gross. Taste is also disgustingly sweet with the fake cherry syrup totally dominating. Overall, this has the appearance and taste of a cherry soda.

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

750 ml cork and caged bottle split and poured into a Central Waters tulip.
08-2007, 5°C, Wine glass pictured, 08-2005 on the cork.

Thanks to the illustrious Beerwolf77 for sharing, once again!

A - Bright blood red and very clear, the color is nice and is topped by an uncharacteristically long-lingering off-white head. Good retention with nice lace.

S - Slight lactic sourness and wet wood is marred by a sweet, syrup-like cherry aroma. Just a bit too much. Pinches of yeast keep it real and mildly entertaining.

T - Massively sweet and syrup-sugary, the cherry flavor blurs that real/fake line. Notes of wet wood barrel and wild yeast. Decent but a little too sweet.

M - Medium-bodied, borderline full-bodied from the cloying sweetness. The tart acidic finish won't scratch the sour itch I've got going on but it's decent.

O - Overshadowed in the world of sours, this kriek falls outside of the radar. Decent in a pinch but it certainly isn't one to search out.

3.82/5  rDev +17.9%

Jewel tone in its ruby color, I was lucky enough to have this after Big Sky's Smoove Cherry Ale, and it is SO MUCH BETTER. Light pink head, rich cherry smell, and a wonderful sweet flavor, with a bit more tartness than Lindeman's, so I think I like it better. Almost a soft mouth feel and great drinkability. Have it with chocolate. It will make awesomesaur in you rmouth.

1.82/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The nose is extremely fruity, very close to saturation, which puts the chip in his ear about adding any syrup of cherries. The body is also composed largely of the syrup and it has the inclination. The flavor of beer and more particularly the lambic is obviously nonexistent. Very sweet, very artificial and very disgusting, we will prefer a real fruit juice.

Be careful to don't confuse St Louis Kriek and St Louis Kriek Premium. It's 2 different beers...

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

The pour presents a cranberry body with frothy strawberry-white head. It laces well, and looks appetising.

The first sip is a little overwhelming, hit with a very strong tartness. As you progress, sugar and fruits come through with cherry being the stand-out (as per the name).

The mouthfeel is generally fine with fitting carbonation, and the aftertaste is dry and pleasant, with cherry lingering.

It's easy to drink, and far nicer than I expected. I'm looking forward to trying the Strawberry Framboise more, though.

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is not what I expected but it got slammed from some other reviewers. It is like drinking cherry juice. It is not a big intensely sour Lambic like the Hanssens Oude Kriek. Not even close! This is closer to the Redbach "Cherry soda-beer" that Rodenbach makes. This is not quite that sweet. It does have a distinct sour lactic Lambic resemblance buried under all that sweetness but it was ramped up so my wife who like Lindemans, Liked this one as well.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle of 250 ml. One finger head, pink-ish in colour, red body.
Aroma is obviously of cherries, not so artificial as with other cherry beers.
Taste is sweet and fruity with an even sweeter aftertaste.
Light bdy and average carbonation. A bit dry on the palate.
Overall a nice fruity beer.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

350ml bottle

Pours a clear deep ruby color with fluffy pink head that thins. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smells like cherry candy with a bit of a sour backdrop. Smells on par with other Kriek's I've had.

Taste is slightly sweet upfront with a nice cherry taste. It is quickly washed over by the traditional lambic sourness with a slight bite. Finishes with a lingering cherry taste and a faint dull medicinal taste at the very end.

Full body, zesty carbonation.

This is a pretty decent lambic. Not the best I've ever had, but I surely don't see why it's earned such poor ratings in the past.

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

The chilled 12.7-ounce bottle dressed up in black foil yields its crown with a nearly silent hiss. Poured into my gold-rimmed Maredsous goblet, St. Louis Premium Kriek is crystal-clear and strawberry Kool-Aid pink-tinted amber in color. A thin cap of extremely fine-bubbled pale ecru foam languishes on the surface and leaves a silky screening of lacing upon the interior of my glass.

The smell is musky and melonlike with a sharp vinegary acidic twang. A bit of mellow caramel sweetness lurks deep underneath, revealing itself only as the drink warms a bit.

The taste is ungodly sweet with an artificial berry fruitiness once again reminiscent of strawberry Kool-Aid, plus a dash of crushed Jolly Ranchers. Tart, juicy cherries contribute earthy freshness to the flavor profile late in the game, but the acid presiding over the aroma never really reveals itself in the sipping. A bit of nail polish remover languishes in the aftertaste.

The drink is light-bodied, lightly-carbonated, and a pretty easy drinker.

2.17/5  rDev -33%

I would just say this tastes like liquified Luden's cough drops - and leave it at that - but the minimum word count won't let me. It looks grenadine-red with a pink head. I've already covered the smell/taste aspect. It has a syrupy feel, yet it is still evervescent. I would not like to have this again.

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

Damn, I must say I'm real glad I didn't read these other reviews before tasting this beer, because honestly, I quite enjoyed it. Sure, it's a lambic with cherry juice added, but it tastes great and is super refreshing. It's a simple beer, but I must say that on a hot summer day, I could easily suck a few of these down. Unfortunately, they're about $5 a bottle here, which I think will be the main barrier between me and drinking this again.

The beer pours a dark ruby red with a cloudy head. Great lacing. The beer looks delicious.

Its nose is sour and sweet with cherries. Smells also of the typical barnyard characteristic.

Taste is very refreshing, powerful in cherries, sweet, juicy and tart. The taste is fairly one-dimensional, but it does the job of being tasty. Other reviewers stated this beer was too-sweet, but I enjoyed the sweetness and thought it balanced well with its acidity.

Mouthfeel is light and super bubbly, cleansing the palate of all but just a lingering cherry flavor.

This beer is very drinkable, and this may be considered sacrilege by some, but it reminded me of a lighter, cherry take on something like a Duchesse de Bourgogne (which I believe is made with High Fructose Corn Syrup, and most people don't seem to mind).

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

375 ml bottle shared with my wife
A - bright read clear and bubbly with a one finger fizzy head and no lacing.
S - straight up cherry cough syrup.
t - just like the nose but with a drying lingering finish. There actually is a hint of lambic beneath all that sweet medicine.
M - lighter than syrup and moderately carbonated.
D - ranks low on the fruit lambic scale and thus low for drinkability.

2.96/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into a goblet from the bottle.

A- Ruby red color and very clear. Nice looking beer in the glass. Decent head with moderate lacing.

S- Smelled of cherries (obviously) but also quite medicinal to me. Wasn't thrilled with the aroma.

T- Tasted too sweet to me. I wanted more sourness. Again, medicinal at the end with decent cherry flavors mixed in.

M- Good mouthfeel. didn't come off too thin like some of this style.

D- Certainly easy to drink if you like sweet beers. My wife enjoyed it quite a bit. I could drink one but that would be it for me. I wanted a really sour lambic so I was a bit disappointed in this one.

Overall, not a bad beer, just didn't appeal to me. I think it's a beer for the ladies though.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

250ml bottle poured into a pils glass by freshness date.

A:
Elegant dark ruby red color with rather thin pink head, it recedes into a small bubble layer which is well stickiness on the top, fine lacing patches, high carbonation.

S:
The sweet mellow smell of cherries dominates all around.

T:
Again cherries sweet, fruity, juicy, sugary, tart all blend well together with some medicinal hint.

M:
Rich body, a bit syrupy, fizzy and sharp carbonated, smooth, finish is dry.

O:
True to its style, quite enjoy and easy drink.

3.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Found this guy on a dusty shelf at an out of the way liquor store. Figured it was worth a shot. 2007 bottle, cork date 2005. Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Deep and dark red hue. Small amount of pink head fades quick and leaves a tiny soapy lace ring.

S: Sweet and tart cherries blast out of the gate. Tons of water soaked oak wood. A definite new pool toys aroma wafts up letting me know it's a lambic. A tiny amount of barn yard funk.

T: Sweet cherry syrup is the most dominant. Which bums me out a bit. No real cherry flavor to speak of. Just a slight tartness comes through but it's very mild. It actually finishes sweet which takes away any attempt at being sour.

M: Medium to light body. Modest amount of carbonation.

O: Well it's better than the peach but not as good as the framboise. I'd probably pass on this one next time.

2.11/5  rDev -34.9%

Presentation: 12.7 fluid ounce green glass bottle which has a dimpled base. Thin but hard clinging shiny red foil tightly wraps the neck and covers the large crown cap. Main label has the words “Premium Kriek” above a brace of provocative looking Cherry pairs. Recommended to be served at 5°C (that’s 41°F). Allegedly this stuff is the regular St. Louis Kriek (4.5%) but with 25% Cherry juice. Best Before 10-2006. No strength listed but research tells me that this is a massive 3.2% ABV...a girly brew in more than one way it seems ;-)

Appearance: It looks great in the glass, there is no denying that. A lovely deep red, a full bodied purple-red glows when back-lit. The head is quick to form but soon collapses to a broken bubbly covering that struggles to keep anything more than a foamy halo towards the end. Spritzy carbonation exhibits a racy speed when the glass is gently tipped.

Nose: Sweet cherries, to be expected, but the nose has a light sour dark cherry skin odor to balance the sweetness, well at first anyways.

Taste: Sour cherry start but it soon gets swamped with a sweet cherry-pie thick viscous middle. Ends chewy and sweet with a huge cherry sugar-laden cough syrup lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Not that bad when chilled straight from the fridge, but as it warms it soon thickens and the sweetness becomes unbearable.

Drinkability: In small doses and heavily chilled to suppress the sweetness and cloying mouthfeel it isn’t too bad. Beyond that it reminds me of the cherry concentrate used to make Popsicles. The last part of my 12.7 fluid ounce bottle had warmed slightly; I decided that rather dump it, I would mix the remnants with a cool crisp bottle of Pilsner Urquell, made the experience so much more bearable….

Overall: Probably the worst of the three St. Louis “Premiums” that I tried this weekend.

3.07/5  rDev -5.2%

Bought at the Carrefour in Varna, Bulgaria. Another surprising find in the land of Euro Pales. I think is a testament to Bulgaria's rise in development.

Poured from the tiny 250mL can into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a solid ruby color that is clear when held to light. Head is slightly pink with somewhat poor retention.

S: It's all cherry candy. This smells like a bag of sour cherries, or maybe like a big glass of cherry Jolly Ranchers. Very tart smelling, like cherry preserves, rather than fresh cherries.

T: Tart, with sour cherries dominating. This tastes like a cherry soda more than anything. Later I detected some sort of cranberry flavor. Very acidic as well. I am reminded of sour cherry candy from my childhood, almost like the center of a cherry flavored Warhead. This isn't altogether bad really, just kind of surprising in the lack of balance.

M: Acidic and juicy. This feels more like a juice or soda than a beer. this was especially evident further down the glass when my throat started getting sticky.

D: This one is tricky. It's very drinkable, but very much like a bottle of cherry juice.

I'm not going to say I'm surprised, since it's made with cherry syrup or something like that, but I think I was looking for something less sweet. This reminds me of the high school days when we would try to drown out the taste of alcohol with juice. It's OK overall, but not something that I would seek out again probably.

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

Heavy green 12.7oz glass bottle. Pry-off cap and red neck foil. Black and yellow label with cherries on it.
The body is a deep almost opaque red with low carbonation. The head is pink and consists of medium bubbles, very airy. Great retention and clumpy lace.
Sweet cherry scent from the moment the cap is lifted. Some mild honey and faint hops.
Sweet and tart cherry flavor with semi harsh hops and honey malty notes. Very tasty and fruity. Cherry aftertaste with stronger hops than in the initial taste but still mild.
Medium body and slightly puckeringly dry.
Good thirst quencher and great for warm weather.

-Oelergud

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

750 ml bottle, caged and corked. Got this sucker for 6 bucks, which I felt was a good deal. Bottle date says 08/2007, cork says 2005. I guess this is past its recommended date.

Red colored body with a pinkish head. pretty good retention with a little bit of lacing.

Smells a little bit tart with lots of sweet cherry in there too.

Tons of sugary sweetness and cherry flavors in here. A bit cloying, but nothing too terrible. A nice bit of tartness buried underneath. A thin, puckering mouthfeel.

A little sweet to be extremely drinkable, but not bad.

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Had to try this out of my mad compulsion to experience every lambic available. 750ml.

I heard this beer was very similar the the flavored Lindemans line, and it sort of was, except that to me those taste like chemicals and this one more like real fruit. It pours a purplish burgundy, decent head and nice lace.

The first sip was the best unfortunately (but I think this was a temperature issue): Sweet, sweet cherry, strawberry, cranberry, some damn kind of red berry. But it was nicely balanced by a distinct tartness. But within 5 minutes, whatever held it together was gone, leaving me with a diabetic coma in a glass. This was a 750ml, so with a lot left in a relatively cold container, I took a swig from the bottle. Yup, there it is. Tart, and much better than the soda beer in my glass. How do you rate something you change your mind on twice in one sitting?

Bottom line:
Syrupy but not sickening, too sweet and unbalanced, but not as bad as that cough medicine thing you sometimes encounter. Good for desert, sub-par for a true kriek lambic.

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a stemmed lambic glass.

Appearance- Light cranberry color with a think foamy head with a tinge of purple. A little cloudy. The head laces well and looks appealing on the glass.

Smell- Tart and fruity. About what I would expect to smell from any sort of sour lambic. Specific fruit is hidden behind the tartness.

Taste- Still lots of tartness, but the fruit flavors dominate here. Great sour sugary fruit on the front that dries out quickly at the end. Cherries, cranberries and grapes fill up the fruit flavors.

Mouth feel- Creamy and crisp. Perfect pair with the flavors.

Drinkability/Overall- Each sip leaves the mouth wanting more. The tartness and astringency of the beer makes my mouth water. Fruit lambics are not for everyone (obviously based on some previous scores here), but this is one of the best I have tried. This makes a great dessert, but I could imagine it would make a good appetizer as well. With how much this beer makes the mouth water, it couldn't help but enhance the flavors of anything you ate after it. Though, I suppose the tartness and sweetness might throw of your palette.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
St. Louis Premium Kriek from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.