Join our email list →

St. Louis Premium Kriek - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Premium KriekSt. Louis Premium Kriek

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
Belgium | website

Lambic - Fruit | 3.20% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 09-14-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Heavy green 12.7oz glass bottle. Pry-off cap and red neck foil. Black and yellow label with cherries on it.
The body is a deep almost opaque red with low carbonation. The head is pink and consists of medium bubbles, very airy. Great retention and clumpy lace.
Sweet cherry scent from the moment the cap is lifted. Some mild honey and faint hops.
Sweet and tart cherry flavor with semi harsh hops and honey malty notes. Very tasty and fruity. Cherry aftertaste with stronger hops than in the initial taste but still mild.
Medium body and slightly puckeringly dry.
Good thirst quencher and great for warm weather.

-Oelergud

4.12/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a stemmed lambic glass.

Appearance- Light cranberry color with a think foamy head with a tinge of purple. A little cloudy. The head laces well and looks appealing on the glass.

Smell- Tart and fruity. About what I would expect to smell from any sort of sour lambic. Specific fruit is hidden behind the tartness.

Taste- Still lots of tartness, but the fruit flavors dominate here. Great sour sugary fruit on the front that dries out quickly at the end. Cherries, cranberries and grapes fill up the fruit flavors.

Mouth feel- Creamy and crisp. Perfect pair with the flavors.

Drinkability/Overall- Each sip leaves the mouth wanting more. The tartness and astringency of the beer makes my mouth water. Fruit lambics are not for everyone (obviously based on some previous scores here), but this is one of the best I have tried. This makes a great dessert, but I could imagine it would make a good appetizer as well. With how much this beer makes the mouth water, it couldn't help but enhance the flavors of anything you ate after it. Though, I suppose the tartness and sweetness might throw of your palette.

Liquid cherry pie. Pours with a large pinkish red foamy frothy head and lots of lace. Color is a clear medium amber with red highlights. Aroma is HUGE cherry and some malt and yeast. Flavor is a malty yeasty cherry pie. Good body and carbonation. Finish is like flavor. Kind of sweet at first but then fades to a light tartness. Not quite as good as the peche.

3.99/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured from a 12.7 oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice. Bottle date 090709.

A: Thin head with a pinkish brown body. Head fades quickly.

S: Very fruity aroma, almost artificially so. Smells like candy, slightly sour, and even slightly medicinal. I think it's great.

T: Wow, this is borderline soda. Cherry juice flavor up front. Nice mild lingering sourness, but not really enough to balance.

M: Nicely carbonated, good mouthfeel, though a little slick sometimes from the amount of sugar still in this.

O: Almost hard to classify this. It obviously lacks the complexity of many other krieks, but it tastes good nonetheless. It's almost liquid candy, but I think it has it's place.

3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

What can I say? I love cherry juice. I love beer. I enjoy fruit beers. This is cherry juice (25%) and a gueze lambic. So it plays to my weaknesses.

The general characteristics are of cherry juice. The beer gives it a bit of a head and some lace and a hint of an alcohol bite. Sweet but not cloying like some other fruit beers. Nice sour cherry finish. Comes across as mostly juice.

Clearly not for everybody, but it hits the spot for me. Best as a summer or desert drink. Might even work over ice for the heretical among you. Might even make a decent ice cream float. I'll stop now.

3.85/5  rDev +21.1%

Out of a 750ml corked, caged, and foiled bottle. Pours an equal mix of honey and ruby with an average pale pink head. The aroma is lightly tart with cherry flavor. The taste is sweet and tart; sweet cherry juice flavor, enough of a sour aspect to balance out the brew. Its tasty, very much a beer soda. Moderate body with fizzy carbonation; sweet overall but not cloying (though I would stick to just one glass). I like it, its sweet but not cloying, drinkable due to the active carbonation. Again, beer soda. Not nearly sour or tart enough for true lambic lovers.

3.82/5  rDev +20.1%

Jewel tone in its ruby color, I was lucky enough to have this after Big Sky's Smoove Cherry Ale, and it is SO MUCH BETTER. Light pink head, rich cherry smell, and a wonderful sweet flavor, with a bit more tartness than Lindeman's, so I think I like it better. Almost a soft mouth feel and great drinkability. Have it with chocolate. It will make awesomesaur in you rmouth.

3.8/5  rDev +19.5%

Damn, I must say I'm real glad I didn't read these other reviews before tasting this beer, because honestly, I quite enjoyed it. Sure, it's a lambic with cherry juice added, but it tastes great and is super refreshing. It's a simple beer, but I must say that on a hot summer day, I could easily suck a few of these down. Unfortunately, they're about $5 a bottle here, which I think will be the main barrier between me and drinking this again.

The beer pours a dark ruby red with a cloudy head. Great lacing. The beer looks delicious.

Its nose is sour and sweet with cherries. Smells also of the typical barnyard characteristic.

Taste is very refreshing, powerful in cherries, sweet, juicy and tart. The taste is fairly one-dimensional, but it does the job of being tasty. Other reviewers stated this beer was too-sweet, but I enjoyed the sweetness and thought it balanced well with its acidity.

Mouthfeel is light and super bubbly, cleansing the palate of all but just a lingering cherry flavor.

This beer is very drinkable, and this may be considered sacrilege by some, but it reminded me of a lighter, cherry take on something like a Duchesse de Bourgogne (which I believe is made with High Fructose Corn Syrup, and most people don't seem to mind).

3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

350ml bottle

Pours a clear deep ruby color with fluffy pink head that thins. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smells like cherry candy with a bit of a sour backdrop. Smells on par with other Kriek's I've had.

Taste is slightly sweet upfront with a nice cherry taste. It is quickly washed over by the traditional lambic sourness with a slight bite. Finishes with a lingering cherry taste and a faint dull medicinal taste at the very end.

Full body, zesty carbonation.

This is a pretty decent lambic. Not the best I've ever had, but I surely don't see why it's earned such poor ratings in the past.

3.6/5  rDev +13.2%

A - dark amber, red with pretty much good head
S - very cherry, cherry juice
T - cherry, cherry juice, very refreshing and easy
M - low to medium body with medium carbonation
D - nice and drinkable

I do not have much experiences with lambic and gueuze, so I can't judge, but I like it somehow. I will maybe reconsider once I will know more lambic and gueuze beers.

3.53/5  rDev +11%

Pours with a big cherry nose with just a touch of tartness. Pours brilliant cherry color like a cherry wine under a ¼” pink tinted foam cap. Big cherry palate leaning towards the sweet side but just enough tartness to keep it from being cloying or falling into the soda pop category. Light, effervescent, refreshing, easy to drink but a little too sweet for my tastes.

3.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is not what I expected but it got slammed from some other reviewers. It is like drinking cherry juice. It is not a big intensely sour Lambic like the Hanssens Oude Kriek. Not even close! This is closer to the Redbach "Cherry soda-beer" that Rodenbach makes. This is not quite that sweet. It does have a distinct sour lactic Lambic resemblance buried under all that sweetness but it was ramped up so my wife who like Lindemans, Liked this one as well.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

250ml bottle poured into a pils glass by freshness date.

A:
Elegant dark ruby red color with rather thin pink head, it recedes into a small bubble layer which is well stickiness on the top, fine lacing patches, high carbonation.

S:
The sweet mellow smell of cherries dominates all around.

T:
Again cherries sweet, fruity, juicy, sugary, tart all blend well together with some medicinal hint.

M:
Rich body, a bit syrupy, fizzy and sharp carbonated, smooth, finish is dry.

O:
True to its style, quite enjoy and easy drink.

3.35/5  rDev +5.3%

The pour presents a cranberry body with frothy strawberry-white head. It laces well, and looks appetising.

The first sip is a little overwhelming, hit with a very strong tartness. As you progress, sugar and fruits come through with cherry being the stand-out (as per the name).

The mouthfeel is generally fine with fitting carbonation, and the aftertaste is dry and pleasant, with cherry lingering.

It's easy to drink, and far nicer than I expected. I'm looking forward to trying the Strawberry Framboise more, though.

3.32/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle of 250 ml. One finger head, pink-ish in colour, red body.
Aroma is obviously of cherries, not so artificial as with other cherry beers.
Taste is sweet and fruity with an even sweeter aftertaste.
Light bdy and average carbonation. A bit dry on the palate.
Overall a nice fruity beer.

3.31/5  rDev +4.1%

I had this on tap at an Affligem cafe in the Grote Markt in Brussels. Along with a Belgian waffle with vanilla ice cream, this made for an ideal dessert.

The beer was dark red color, clear, with a thin pink head and a little wet lacing. The aroma is sweet cherry soda, not very funky or sour smelling, more just sweet. Same with the taste, this was a perfect dessert beer. Not the funkiest thing from the lambic box, this was more an approachable cherry beer that just tastes good. No sourness at all, barely any tartness either.

I can understand the poor ratings on this beer as people expect less of a beer-soda than a sour lambic, but I honestly thought this hit the spot.

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

750 ml bottle, caged and corked. Got this sucker for 6 bucks, which I felt was a good deal. Bottle date says 08/2007, cork says 2005. I guess this is past its recommended date.

Red colored body with a pinkish head. pretty good retention with a little bit of lacing.

Smells a little bit tart with lots of sweet cherry in there too.

Tons of sugary sweetness and cherry flavors in here. A bit cloying, but nothing too terrible. A nice bit of tartness buried underneath. A thin, puckering mouthfeel.

A little sweet to be extremely drinkable, but not bad.

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

750 ml cork and caged bottle split and poured into a Central Waters tulip.
08-2007, 5°C, Wine glass pictured, 08-2005 on the cork.

Thanks to the illustrious Beerwolf77 for sharing, once again!

A - Bright blood red and very clear, the color is nice and is topped by an uncharacteristically long-lingering off-white head. Good retention with nice lace.

S - Slight lactic sourness and wet wood is marred by a sweet, syrup-like cherry aroma. Just a bit too much. Pinches of yeast keep it real and mildly entertaining.

T - Massively sweet and syrup-sugary, the cherry flavor blurs that real/fake line. Notes of wet wood barrel and wild yeast. Decent but a little too sweet.

M - Medium-bodied, borderline full-bodied from the cloying sweetness. The tart acidic finish won't scratch the sour itch I've got going on but it's decent.

O - Overshadowed in the world of sours, this kriek falls outside of the radar. Decent in a pinch but it certainly isn't one to search out.

3.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Found this guy on a dusty shelf at an out of the way liquor store. Figured it was worth a shot. 2007 bottle, cork date 2005. Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Deep and dark red hue. Small amount of pink head fades quick and leaves a tiny soapy lace ring.

S: Sweet and tart cherries blast out of the gate. Tons of water soaked oak wood. A definite new pool toys aroma wafts up letting me know it's a lambic. A tiny amount of barn yard funk.

T: Sweet cherry syrup is the most dominant. Which bums me out a bit. No real cherry flavor to speak of. Just a slight tartness comes through but it's very mild. It actually finishes sweet which takes away any attempt at being sour.

M: Medium to light body. Modest amount of carbonation.

O: Well it's better than the peach but not as good as the framboise. I'd probably pass on this one next time.

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Ruby red, with amber highlights and a slight haze. Pink tinged cream head starts out small. It recedes quickly, but never disappears. Leaves occasional wisps of lace.

S: Cherries, cherries and more cherries. That is the aroma of this beer. It's quite sweet and very one dimensional.

T: There's no mistaking this for a Kriek. The beer starts out with a sharp tartness that's bolstered by a fair amount of carbonation. Sweetness comes in quickly with a cherry flavor that borders on medicinal, but thankfully doesn't quite get there. Tartness returns for the finish, this time accompanied by a hint of sourness.

M: Syrupy and thick body has a touch too much carbonation.

D: The sweetness of this was almost too much for me. Tastes mostly like thick sparkling cherry juice with a sour kick. This is very much a one trick beer that could really benefit from more complexity.

3.07/5  rDev -3.5%

Bought at the Carrefour in Varna, Bulgaria. Another surprising find in the land of Euro Pales. I think is a testament to Bulgaria's rise in development.

Poured from the tiny 250mL can into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a solid ruby color that is clear when held to light. Head is slightly pink with somewhat poor retention.

S: It's all cherry candy. This smells like a bag of sour cherries, or maybe like a big glass of cherry Jolly Ranchers. Very tart smelling, like cherry preserves, rather than fresh cherries.

T: Tart, with sour cherries dominating. This tastes like a cherry soda more than anything. Later I detected some sort of cranberry flavor. Very acidic as well. I am reminded of sour cherry candy from my childhood, almost like the center of a cherry flavored Warhead. This isn't altogether bad really, just kind of surprising in the lack of balance.

M: Acidic and juicy. This feels more like a juice or soda than a beer. this was especially evident further down the glass when my throat started getting sticky.

D: This one is tricky. It's very drinkable, but very much like a bottle of cherry juice.

I'm not going to say I'm surprised, since it's made with cherry syrup or something like that, but I think I was looking for something less sweet. This reminds me of the high school days when we would try to drown out the taste of alcohol with juice. It's OK overall, but not something that I would seek out again probably.

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

The chilled 12.7-ounce bottle dressed up in black foil yields its crown with a nearly silent hiss. Poured into my gold-rimmed Maredsous goblet, St. Louis Premium Kriek is crystal-clear and strawberry Kool-Aid pink-tinted amber in color. A thin cap of extremely fine-bubbled pale ecru foam languishes on the surface and leaves a silky screening of lacing upon the interior of my glass.

The smell is musky and melonlike with a sharp vinegary acidic twang. A bit of mellow caramel sweetness lurks deep underneath, revealing itself only as the drink warms a bit.

The taste is ungodly sweet with an artificial berry fruitiness once again reminiscent of strawberry Kool-Aid, plus a dash of crushed Jolly Ranchers. Tart, juicy cherries contribute earthy freshness to the flavor profile late in the game, but the acid presiding over the aroma never really reveals itself in the sipping. A bit of nail polish remover languishes in the aftertaste.

The drink is light-bodied, lightly-carbonated, and a pretty easy drinker.

2.98/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured a 2" light pink head. Held to the light it's a clear medium cherry red color. Smells like an open jar of cocktail cherries. Taste again is the cocktail cherries with only a little hint of sour from the lambic style of the beer. Really this is just fruit juice. Tasty? Sure. But I suspect if you had a blind taste testing of this against a brachetto wine and an actual juice sample they'd be all messed up in the impossibility of which was a wine sample, a beer sample, a juice sample, etc.

2.96/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a goblet from the bottle.

A- Ruby red color and very clear. Nice looking beer in the glass. Decent head with moderate lacing.

S- Smelled of cherries (obviously) but also quite medicinal to me. Wasn't thrilled with the aroma.

T- Tasted too sweet to me. I wanted more sourness. Again, medicinal at the end with decent cherry flavors mixed in.

M- Good mouthfeel. didn't come off too thin like some of this style.

D- Certainly easy to drink if you like sweet beers. My wife enjoyed it quite a bit. I could drink one but that would be it for me. I wanted a really sour lambic so I was a bit disappointed in this one.

Overall, not a bad beer, just didn't appeal to me. I think it's a beer for the ladies though.

2.88/5  rDev -9.4%

Had to try this out of my mad compulsion to experience every lambic available. 750ml.

I heard this beer was very similar the the flavored Lindemans line, and it sort of was, except that to me those taste like chemicals and this one more like real fruit. It pours a purplish burgundy, decent head and nice lace.

The first sip was the best unfortunately (but I think this was a temperature issue): Sweet, sweet cherry, strawberry, cranberry, some damn kind of red berry. But it was nicely balanced by a distinct tartness. But within 5 minutes, whatever held it together was gone, leaving me with a diabetic coma in a glass. This was a 750ml, so with a lot left in a relatively cold container, I took a swig from the bottle. Yup, there it is. Tart, and much better than the soda beer in my glass. How do you rate something you change your mind on twice in one sitting?

Bottom line:
Syrupy but not sickening, too sweet and unbalanced, but not as bad as that cough medicine thing you sometimes encounter. Good for desert, sub-par for a true kriek lambic.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
St. Louis Premium Kriek from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.