St. Louis Premium Kriek - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Premium KriekSt. Louis Premium Kriek

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.20% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 09-14-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.68/5  rDev -15.7%

A-Deep red, almost purple body with a thin pinkish head that drops quickly leaving medium lacing.

S-Lots of cherry, but I also got some other fruits, almost tropical. I got a little bit of lactic sour, and possibly just a touch of funk back there, but really not much at all. The cherries take over in a big way.

T-Very juicy cherries, maybe a little bit of something richer. I would say that there is some tart, but it comes exclusively from the cherries, I would have a very hard time calling this lambic.

M-Sugary slick with low carbonation.

D-Its like lightly carbonated cherry juice. I wouldn't say it tastes bad, but do not go into this looking for a lambic, in fact if someone poured it for me without indicating what it was I wouldn't even call it beer. All that aside, it doesn't have that fake cough syrup taste that you get from Lindemans, so at the price (I think I paid $5.99) its a pretty good deal.

3.6/5  rDev +13.2%

A - dark amber, red with pretty much good head
S - very cherry, cherry juice
T - cherry, cherry juice, very refreshing and easy
M - low to medium body with medium carbonation
D - nice and drinkable

I do not have much experiences with lambic and gueuze, so I can't judge, but I like it somehow. I will maybe reconsider once I will know more lambic and gueuze beers.

2.96/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a goblet from the bottle.

A- Ruby red color and very clear. Nice looking beer in the glass. Decent head with moderate lacing.

S- Smelled of cherries (obviously) but also quite medicinal to me. Wasn't thrilled with the aroma.

T- Tasted too sweet to me. I wanted more sourness. Again, medicinal at the end with decent cherry flavors mixed in.

M- Good mouthfeel. didn't come off too thin like some of this style.

D- Certainly easy to drink if you like sweet beers. My wife enjoyed it quite a bit. I could drink one but that would be it for me. I wanted a really sour lambic so I was a bit disappointed in this one.

Overall, not a bad beer, just didn't appeal to me. I think it's a beer for the ladies though.

3.07/5  rDev -3.5%

Bought at the Carrefour in Varna, Bulgaria. Another surprising find in the land of Euro Pales. I think is a testament to Bulgaria's rise in development.

Poured from the tiny 250mL can into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a solid ruby color that is clear when held to light. Head is slightly pink with somewhat poor retention.

S: It's all cherry candy. This smells like a bag of sour cherries, or maybe like a big glass of cherry Jolly Ranchers. Very tart smelling, like cherry preserves, rather than fresh cherries.

T: Tart, with sour cherries dominating. This tastes like a cherry soda more than anything. Later I detected some sort of cranberry flavor. Very acidic as well. I am reminded of sour cherry candy from my childhood, almost like the center of a cherry flavored Warhead. This isn't altogether bad really, just kind of surprising in the lack of balance.

M: Acidic and juicy. This feels more like a juice or soda than a beer. this was especially evident further down the glass when my throat started getting sticky.

D: This one is tricky. It's very drinkable, but very much like a bottle of cherry juice.

I'm not going to say I'm surprised, since it's made with cherry syrup or something like that, but I think I was looking for something less sweet. This reminds me of the high school days when we would try to drown out the taste of alcohol with juice. It's OK overall, but not something that I would seek out again probably.

3.8/5  rDev +19.5%

Damn, I must say I'm real glad I didn't read these other reviews before tasting this beer, because honestly, I quite enjoyed it. Sure, it's a lambic with cherry juice added, but it tastes great and is super refreshing. It's a simple beer, but I must say that on a hot summer day, I could easily suck a few of these down. Unfortunately, they're about $5 a bottle here, which I think will be the main barrier between me and drinking this again.

The beer pours a dark ruby red with a cloudy head. Great lacing. The beer looks delicious.

Its nose is sour and sweet with cherries. Smells also of the typical barnyard characteristic.

Taste is very refreshing, powerful in cherries, sweet, juicy and tart. The taste is fairly one-dimensional, but it does the job of being tasty. Other reviewers stated this beer was too-sweet, but I enjoyed the sweetness and thought it balanced well with its acidity.

Mouthfeel is light and super bubbly, cleansing the palate of all but just a lingering cherry flavor.

This beer is very drinkable, and this may be considered sacrilege by some, but it reminded me of a lighter, cherry take on something like a Duchesse de Bourgogne (which I believe is made with High Fructose Corn Syrup, and most people don't seem to mind).

Liquid cherry pie. Pours with a large pinkish red foamy frothy head and lots of lace. Color is a clear medium amber with red highlights. Aroma is HUGE cherry and some malt and yeast. Flavor is a malty yeasty cherry pie. Good body and carbonation. Finish is like flavor. Kind of sweet at first but then fades to a light tartness. Not quite as good as the peche.

3.31/5  rDev +4.1%

I had this on tap at an Affligem cafe in the Grote Markt in Brussels. Along with a Belgian waffle with vanilla ice cream, this made for an ideal dessert.

The beer was dark red color, clear, with a thin pink head and a little wet lacing. The aroma is sweet cherry soda, not very funky or sour smelling, more just sweet. Same with the taste, this was a perfect dessert beer. Not the funkiest thing from the lambic box, this was more an approachable cherry beer that just tastes good. No sourness at all, barely any tartness either.

I can understand the poor ratings on this beer as people expect less of a beer-soda than a sour lambic, but I honestly thought this hit the spot.

1.82/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The nose is extremely fruity, very close to saturation, which puts the chip in his ear about adding any syrup of cherries. The body is also composed largely of the syrup and it has the inclination. The flavor of beer and more particularly the lambic is obviously nonexistent. Very sweet, very artificial and very disgusting, we will prefer a real fruit juice.

Be careful to don't confuse St Louis Kriek and St Louis Kriek Premium. It's 2 different beers...

3.85/5  rDev +21.1%

Out of a 750ml corked, caged, and foiled bottle. Pours an equal mix of honey and ruby with an average pale pink head. The aroma is lightly tart with cherry flavor. The taste is sweet and tart; sweet cherry juice flavor, enough of a sour aspect to balance out the brew. Its tasty, very much a beer soda. Moderate body with fizzy carbonation; sweet overall but not cloying (though I would stick to just one glass). I like it, its sweet but not cloying, drinkable due to the active carbonation. Again, beer soda. Not nearly sour or tart enough for true lambic lovers.

3.82/5  rDev +20.1%

Jewel tone in its ruby color, I was lucky enough to have this after Big Sky's Smoove Cherry Ale, and it is SO MUCH BETTER. Light pink head, rich cherry smell, and a wonderful sweet flavor, with a bit more tartness than Lindeman's, so I think I like it better. Almost a soft mouth feel and great drinkability. Have it with chocolate. It will make awesomesaur in you rmouth.

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

The chilled 12.7-ounce bottle dressed up in black foil yields its crown with a nearly silent hiss. Poured into my gold-rimmed Maredsous goblet, St. Louis Premium Kriek is crystal-clear and strawberry Kool-Aid pink-tinted amber in color. A thin cap of extremely fine-bubbled pale ecru foam languishes on the surface and leaves a silky screening of lacing upon the interior of my glass.

The smell is musky and melonlike with a sharp vinegary acidic twang. A bit of mellow caramel sweetness lurks deep underneath, revealing itself only as the drink warms a bit.

The taste is ungodly sweet with an artificial berry fruitiness once again reminiscent of strawberry Kool-Aid, plus a dash of crushed Jolly Ranchers. Tart, juicy cherries contribute earthy freshness to the flavor profile late in the game, but the acid presiding over the aroma never really reveals itself in the sipping. A bit of nail polish remover languishes in the aftertaste.

The drink is light-bodied, lightly-carbonated, and a pretty easy drinker.

2.74/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured a very cherry red with a thick pink head. Looked something similar to a cream soda

The aroma was very sweet and mostly dominated by cherries

Taste is quite one-dimensional: cherries. I can't say that a whole lot else comes through. The cherry flavour doesn't seem overly artifical or sweet though. Finishes slightly tart.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied with a soft carbonation

2.88/5  rDev -9.4%

Had to try this out of my mad compulsion to experience every lambic available. 750ml.

I heard this beer was very similar the the flavored Lindemans line, and it sort of was, except that to me those taste like chemicals and this one more like real fruit. It pours a purplish burgundy, decent head and nice lace.

The first sip was the best unfortunately (but I think this was a temperature issue): Sweet, sweet cherry, strawberry, cranberry, some damn kind of red berry. But it was nicely balanced by a distinct tartness. But within 5 minutes, whatever held it together was gone, leaving me with a diabetic coma in a glass. This was a 750ml, so with a lot left in a relatively cold container, I took a swig from the bottle. Yup, there it is. Tart, and much better than the soda beer in my glass. How do you rate something you change your mind on twice in one sitting?

Bottom line:
Syrupy but not sickening, too sweet and unbalanced, but not as bad as that cough medicine thing you sometimes encounter. Good for desert, sub-par for a true kriek lambic.

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Ruby red, with amber highlights and a slight haze. Pink tinged cream head starts out small. It recedes quickly, but never disappears. Leaves occasional wisps of lace.

S: Cherries, cherries and more cherries. That is the aroma of this beer. It's quite sweet and very one dimensional.

T: There's no mistaking this for a Kriek. The beer starts out with a sharp tartness that's bolstered by a fair amount of carbonation. Sweetness comes in quickly with a cherry flavor that borders on medicinal, but thankfully doesn't quite get there. Tartness returns for the finish, this time accompanied by a hint of sourness.

M: Syrupy and thick body has a touch too much carbonation.

D: The sweetness of this was almost too much for me. Tastes mostly like thick sparkling cherry juice with a sour kick. This is very much a one trick beer that could really benefit from more complexity.

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

750 ml bottle, caged and corked. Got this sucker for 6 bucks, which I felt was a good deal. Bottle date says 08/2007, cork says 2005. I guess this is past its recommended date.

Red colored body with a pinkish head. pretty good retention with a little bit of lacing.

Smells a little bit tart with lots of sweet cherry in there too.

Tons of sugary sweetness and cherry flavors in here. A bit cloying, but nothing too terrible. A nice bit of tartness buried underneath. A thin, puckering mouthfeel.

A little sweet to be extremely drinkable, but not bad.

4.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Heavy green 12.7oz glass bottle. Pry-off cap and red neck foil. Black and yellow label with cherries on it.
The body is a deep almost opaque red with low carbonation. The head is pink and consists of medium bubbles, very airy. Great retention and clumpy lace.
Sweet cherry scent from the moment the cap is lifted. Some mild honey and faint hops.
Sweet and tart cherry flavor with semi harsh hops and honey malty notes. Very tasty and fruity. Cherry aftertaste with stronger hops than in the initial taste but still mild.
Medium body and slightly puckeringly dry.
Good thirst quencher and great for warm weather.

2.74/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle Date 08/2007, Cork Date 08/2005, Sampled September 2007
I can only assume that is a best by bottle date as I purchased this a couple months ago. Pours with an initially finger and a half thick, dirty red tinged, tan colored head that sits atop a murky, not quite opaque, sickly pinkish tinged, red colored beer. At first the aroma smells like a mix cherry & strawberry ice creams, but then some funkiness kicks in. At times I get notes of rancid cheese, urea, butterscotch and touches of burnt plastic. Somehow this does not smell nearly as sweet as the Premium Framboise did, hopefully this means the taste is not as sweet either; somehow I doubt it though.

Yep, this is again a super sweet beer. Way too much sugar was added to this beer. Tastes strongly of cherries, but even still the sweetness overwhelms even this. The beer finishes with a light, funky, astringent note and even a bit of plastic-like phenolics. Again there is really not much to this beer; lots of sweetness, intense non-descript fruit character and a fair amount of distinctly cherry derived flavors. Not worth it at all, though it is perhaps not quite as offensive as the raspberry version.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

3.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is not what I expected but it got slammed from some other reviewers. It is like drinking cherry juice. It is not a big intensely sour Lambic like the Hanssens Oude Kriek. Not even close! This is closer to the Redbach "Cherry soda-beer" that Rodenbach makes. This is not quite that sweet. It does have a distinct sour lactic Lambic resemblance buried under all that sweetness but it was ramped up so my wife who like Lindemans, Liked this one as well.

Hope this is helpful.

3.35/5  rDev +5.3%

The pour presents a cranberry body with frothy strawberry-white head. It laces well, and looks appetising.

The first sip is a little overwhelming, hit with a very strong tartness. As you progress, sugar and fruits come through with cherry being the stand-out (as per the name).

The mouthfeel is generally fine with fitting carbonation, and the aftertaste is dry and pleasant, with cherry lingering.

It's easy to drink, and far nicer than I expected. I'm looking forward to trying the Strawberry Framboise more, though.

4.12/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a stemmed lambic glass.

Appearance- Light cranberry color with a think foamy head with a tinge of purple. A little cloudy. The head laces well and looks appealing on the glass.

Smell- Tart and fruity. About what I would expect to smell from any sort of sour lambic. Specific fruit is hidden behind the tartness.

Taste- Still lots of tartness, but the fruit flavors dominate here. Great sour sugary fruit on the front that dries out quickly at the end. Cherries, cranberries and grapes fill up the fruit flavors.

Mouth feel- Creamy and crisp. Perfect pair with the flavors.

Drinkability/Overall- Each sip leaves the mouth wanting more. The tartness and astringency of the beer makes my mouth water. Fruit lambics are not for everyone (obviously based on some previous scores here), but this is one of the best I have tried. This makes a great dessert, but I could imagine it would make a good appetizer as well. With how much this beer makes the mouth water, it couldn't help but enhance the flavors of anything you ate after it. Though, I suppose the tartness and sweetness might throw of your palette.

3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

What can I say? I love cherry juice. I love beer. I enjoy fruit beers. This is cherry juice (25%) and a gueze lambic. So it plays to my weaknesses.

The general characteristics are of cherry juice. The beer gives it a bit of a head and some lace and a hint of an alcohol bite. Sweet but not cloying like some other fruit beers. Nice sour cherry finish. Comes across as mostly juice.

Clearly not for everybody, but it hits the spot for me. Best as a summer or desert drink. Might even work over ice for the heretical among you. Might even make a decent ice cream float. I'll stop now.

1.5/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

250ml can: Poured a bright red color beer with a small pink bubbly head with no retention. Aroma of fake cheery syrup is dominating and kind of gross. Taste is also disgustingly sweet with the fake cherry syrup totally dominating. Overall, this has the appearance and taste of a cherry soda.

3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

350ml bottle

Pours a clear deep ruby color with fluffy pink head that thins. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smells like cherry candy with a bit of a sour backdrop. Smells on par with other Kriek's I've had.

Taste is slightly sweet upfront with a nice cherry taste. It is quickly washed over by the traditional lambic sourness with a slight bite. Finishes with a lingering cherry taste and a faint dull medicinal taste at the very end.

Full body, zesty carbonation.

This is a pretty decent lambic. Not the best I've ever had, but I surely don't see why it's earned such poor ratings in the past.

2.41/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a deep ruby red with a fluffy rosey pink head over top. Very brilliant and colorful with a resiliant head. Nose is rather sweet cherry, with a light underlying tartness, but mostly very sweet cherry. Flavor is all about the sweet as well. Candy-like cherry sweetness, with just a hint of tartness. No acetic bite. Way over sweetened. Feel is moderate, with a slight syrupy slickness. Carbonation is light, but of tight, small. This one lacks pretty well all around as a good lambic. Way too sweet, not enough of the funk and tart. A good one for me to have with my wife, but not a lambic I will get when I crave the funk.

2.11/5  rDev -33.6%

Presentation: 12.7 fluid ounce green glass bottle which has a dimpled base. Thin but hard clinging shiny red foil tightly wraps the neck and covers the large crown cap. Main label has the words “Premium Kriek” above a brace of provocative looking Cherry pairs. Recommended to be served at 5°C (that’s 41°F). Allegedly this stuff is the regular St. Louis Kriek (4.5%) but with 25% Cherry juice. Best Before 10-2006. No strength listed but research tells me that this is a massive 3.2% ABV...a girly brew in more than one way it seems ;-)

Appearance: It looks great in the glass, there is no denying that. A lovely deep red, a full bodied purple-red glows when back-lit. The head is quick to form but soon collapses to a broken bubbly covering that struggles to keep anything more than a foamy halo towards the end. Spritzy carbonation exhibits a racy speed when the glass is gently tipped.

Nose: Sweet cherries, to be expected, but the nose has a light sour dark cherry skin odor to balance the sweetness, well at first anyways.

Taste: Sour cherry start but it soon gets swamped with a sweet cherry-pie thick viscous middle. Ends chewy and sweet with a huge cherry sugar-laden cough syrup lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Not that bad when chilled straight from the fridge, but as it warms it soon thickens and the sweetness becomes unbearable.

Drinkability: In small doses and heavily chilled to suppress the sweetness and cloying mouthfeel it isn’t too bad. Beyond that it reminds me of the cherry concentrate used to make Popsicles. The last part of my 12.7 fluid ounce bottle had warmed slightly; I decided that rather dump it, I would mix the remnants with a cool crisp bottle of Pilsner Urquell, made the experience so much more bearable….

Overall: Probably the worst of the three St. Louis “Premiums” that I tried this weekend.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
St. Louis Premium Kriek from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.