Vindicator IPA - Wallace Brewing / Orehouse Tasting Room

Vindicator IPAVindicator IPA

good

Wallace Brewing / Orehouse Tasting Room visit their website
Idaho, United States

Named after the Vindicator mine in the Silver Valley, it is our biggest beer to date. A refreshingly mild flowery start with a nice rich, malty sweetness that balances the citrusy hop finish. Coming in at OG 1.079 and 80 IBU the Vindicator packs a wallop. We use the finest malted barley grown in Idaho along with pacific northwest hops.

(Beer added by: Lakes on 07-04-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Murrhey:
Murrhey

Montana

3.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bomber into a pint glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Reviewed live. Thanks to my folks for grabbing this one for me on the way up to Montana.

A- One and a half thick white, fluffy head with long retention. Large bubbles and sticky white lacing in the head's wake. It's all atop a crystal-clear light golden body. Looks ok.

S- Aromatic and floral hops. Fruity and pungent, with golden malts underneath. Great aroma.

T- Not as interesting as the aroma, still floral, and semi-fruity hops with a pleasant bitterness.

M- Lighter bodied with a clean, wet finish.

O- Decent IPA. I've had worse. The taste doesn't match up with the great smell though.

09-18-2013 04:47:11 | More by Murrhey

07-08-2014 05:27:48 | More by GClarkage
archyquaffer

Montana

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The label claims 7% ABV, in contrast to the profile on this website, which states only 6%. Attractive label art with a prostitute who looks surprised to see you, along with a miner's helmet and crossed picks. Wallace is an awesome town and sorta like my town of Butte, Montana, but quite a bit smaller as well as WAY less sunny. I believe prostitution was legal here into the 1980s, which I heard tales of during my sojourn in nearby Missoula, Montana in my good ol' UM days .

Poured from a bomber into a shaker. A moderate or even semi-aggressive pour produces only about 1/2 inch of a creamy, but patchy looking head with bubbles on the edges. Nevertheless, the small head is quite sticky, with lace more or less covering the top and leaving creamy patches up the sides. The beer is a ruddy golden, middling pale color with plenty of haze. Ample carbonation can be seen.

Citrusy and slight piney hops are quite evident in the aroma, but I swear you can actually smell some malt. These floral characteristics are quite distinctive in the taste as well, along with some caramel malt flavors that linger into the aftertaste and seem to add to the mouth feel, which is pretty creamy. A little butter is also detectable throughout the quaff. The flavor is predictably citrusy and piney but overall very well-balanced with some genuine malt complexity that you can actually taste.

Many IPAs seem a little over the top to me, and I will sometimes avoid them. I had tried another of this brewery's offerings (I think a red ale), and found it very good. This one kept beckoning to me from the shelves. This IPA is a winner- it's about as hoppy as a typical northwest pale ale, but with plenty of malt complexity and a big body to go along with the enhanced ABV. Bravo!

04-09-2014 04:59:31 | More by archyquaffer
grubefresh

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

08-08-2013 19:24:52 | More by grubefresh
Redrover

4.01/5  rDev +10.5%

I had this one at the At Saranac in downtown Spokane. It’s a nice place with good food and a pretty solid beer list.

This one was served in a standard pint glass (a Mariners logoed one at that!). The beer is a dark bronze with a beige head. It has lots of lacing.

Big jolt of pine and slightly sweet smelling grains in the nose.

The bitterness is balanced by the malts. Pine and citrus, a hint of mint and spice like basil. I liked how this one hung the flavors off a solid caramel malt backbone.

The mouth is thickish and coating. Very nice!!

06-21-2013 15:04:24 | More by Redrover
RJLarse

Washington

4.29/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought bomber of Vindicator IPA in a bottle shop. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a rich gold color, hazy, with a thick bubble white head. Bubbles are slowly rising in the glass.

The smell is a sweet baked bread aroma. Candy scents like caramel are also in the aroma.

Taste is sweet bread and malt flavor up front, with a sweet citrus and pine flavor, more sweet than bitter, and a mildly biter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a wet and crisp feel.

Overall a good IPA. Tasty and drinkable, not overpowering in any way.

05-19-2013 23:18:17 | More by RJLarse
zestd

03-29-2013 20:50:03 | More by zestd
JohnGalt1

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

Picked up today at the Bench Fred Meyer... New to me brew and brewery.. Even cooler that it is an Idaho Brewery... Poured into my slim tulip.. short time white head... good spotty lacing.. the brew is clear light orange..

Nose shows more malt than hops .. pale malt and just enough citrus hoppiness to balance and weigh things slightly into the hop realm... but seriously... the hops are lacking on the aroma. MORE HOPS.

Decent hoppy bitterness.. but the main flavor is the pale malts/okay citrus hops... needs more hop flavor and a lesser maltiness to get into the "great" IPA category.. MORE HOPS.

Body is about right... probably a touch heavy, but I am not complaining too much...

I am happy I was able to stumble upon this one at Fred Meyer.. but it is going to need to be dialed down significantly to be picked up at the Boise bottleshops.

3.5/2.5/3/3.5/3

11-25-2012 06:08:54 | More by JohnGalt1
harrymel

Washington

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

At brewery was told: 7.5% ABV with 78IBU.

Pours a nice ruddy amber with a bit of light cream foam. Nose has some malt and hints of grapefruit, the nose didn't really open up for quite some time; initially I could smell nothing save an herbal hop tone. Flavor blends amber malts with some grapefruit and bitterness. Medium bodied with average carb. This is a middle of the road IPA.

05-19-2012 23:49:26 | More by harrymel
Solomonj515

1.63/5  rDev -55.1%

this beer has a very nice color and an amazingly nice thick head creamy peach color head.

very sweet smell like a nectory fruity smell.

not a very good taste for an IPA to me was not IPA. very sweet with fruity flavor. not very hoppy.

nice in the mouth very clean just a bit to sweet.

Overall not very good IPA no hopps and very sweet. but a very good looking beer.

04-17-2012 18:23:20 | More by Solomonj515
beerman1234

Idaho

This beer first off, reminded me of Inversion by dechutes brewery. I love that beer and when I tried this one I melted. I love this beer by Wallace. I found it extremely enjoyable to drink. It has a very distint IPA style, hop schedule was perfect and the the malts used in it were very balanced and tasty. Just seemed like they really put a lot of time in the making of this beer. I've been working on my recipes for my future micro brewery and I know how hard it is to perfect a beer recipe. Its a challenge and these guys definitely show great skill and craft in the making of this.

Taste: rich caramel and Hoppy, well blended and balanced

Nice appearance - thick caramel color with a nice head.

Aroma: Hoppy/earthy/somewhat fruity and a nice malty smell, overall balanced perfectly.

I put them on my resources site at: http://www.beerhopsnbarley.com and anything I can do to make this beer and the brewing company known beyond the northern idaho area I will definitely do. I spoke with the owner at the Harrison Idaho October Festival yesterday and he talked to me about the mashing process in the making of this IPA and I was blown away with the process of their mash temperatures to get that perfect alcohol level and taste. Thanks guys!

10-05-2011 05:47:41 | More by beerman1234
MrSlim

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

My daughter brought a case of Vindicator (bottles) when she came to the Midwest to visit. The bottles are 22 ounces. It didn't take long for the beer to disappear!

The flavor is excellent, I'm not a big hop head so I like that it has a full balanced flavor. You can taste the hops, but it's not bitter. Good aftertaste.

Wishing I could get Vindicator in Chicago.

08-02-2011 17:47:12 | More by MrSlim
MADhombrewer

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev -38.6%

Appearance- Hazy straw colored with a nice white head. Good lacing.

Smell- Odd smell to it. Grassy hops and a sweet malt flavor. But there is something else. Has a "trub" taste to it.

Taste- Bitterness is right up front. Very sweet. There is a yeasty or "trub" taste to it that is not very pleasant.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is at least what a IIPA should be. It is a little on the thick side but not in a slick sort of way.

Overall- This is not very good, I am afraid. The yeasty taste is prominent and takes away from the rest of the beer.

03-28-2011 03:05:32 | More by MADhombrewer
waterintobeer

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

I enjoyed this beer form such a small brew staff.
Very copper brown color.
The smell is of hops and sweet malt.
A little more carbonation wouldn't hurt but a very good brew.
Good citrus taste and a local favorite. I hope expansion is in the future.

08-14-2010 07:31:14 | More by waterintobeer