Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Narragansett Porter - Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett PorterNarragansett Porter

Narragansett Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Porter |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheManiacalOne on 01-01-2007

It is brewed with chinook hops for bitterness, simcoe hops for aroma, black malt, pale malt, chocolate malt, munich malt, crystal malt, roasted barley, and ale yeast, giving it an imperial taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Narragansett Porter Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours dark brown with a decent brownish head and little lacing. Some nice reddish highlights shine through this one.

Some roasted malt and chocolate scents, but not overly strong or assertive. What I smelled was inviting.

A decent surprise, but a bit too much on the thin side for me -- almost watered down in flavor. Firm roasted malt, some cocoa bitterness, a touch of sweetness in there as well, and a little hop bitter bite. Just -where's the intensity?

Fully carbonated, which actually takes away from the beer and the style. Must have done that to clear the palate of all of those "strong" flavors...

Overall, it went down easy. Had this as a sampler in a liquor store about a year ago, which prompted me to grab a quick and very cheap single now. I will not go out of my way for this beer, but if a stumble upon it again (i.e. in someone's fridge), I'd give it another go. It is missing some elements, but you won't hate it -- just don't expect it to be Sam Smith Taddy Porter either.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

From a 12 fl. oz. bottle with no date or lot code. Sampled on March 15, 2009. Under the bottle cap were the words "Cranston Street and Garfield Avenue." I haven't looked at the other beers in the 6-pack but I would not be surprised if they are doing this little marketing thing to remind us of their Rhode Island roots.

Appearance - It was a deep, dark brown pour with about a finger of foamy, tan head that fades a bit but remains at some level during the session.

Smell - The aroma is mildly smoked but little else. I don't notice much in the way of malts or hops. Maybe something bread-like.

Taste and Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is of medium texture and rather enticing. The flavor had a little more of a hop feel to it but the mild smoky sensations were the leading essence. I think it reminmded me of a watered down, but smoky Guinness Stout if I may be so bold. For under $6.00 it was a steal for the experience that I had. Glad I bought a 6-pack so I can enjoy it again.

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

A~ Black/dark brown in color. Very dark with a 2 finger head that had little retention, and minimally laced the glass.

S~ Malt with a pinch of maltyness. Chocolate-E.

T~ Crisp and smooth as hell. Good stuff. I really tasted the chocolate as it was the dominate trait. There is not really an after taste, but it left me wanting more. Really nice hops flavor to it too.

M~ Chocolate malt with great carbonation. A plus in my book.

D~ I loved this beer. Not really watery, but not thick either. It seems the more I drink, the more I like it. It is very good and complex to me. I def recommend trying it to any beer drinker, both rookies and veterans.

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

A - Dark brown to black in some spots. Decent two finger head that lasted a few minutes and minimal lace.
S - Dark roasted malt and caramel notes.
T - Medium roast coffee, a tad bitter hops coming through, roasted malty flavors.
M - Good carbonation, thinner than most in body, but a nice dry finish.
D - I could drink this a whole night by a fire on a cold night.

Overall, I enjoyed the beer. I would try this if you like stouts or porters. Worth it. Another good beer by Narragansett.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a tasting glass from the tap

The appearance is a dark black with a brown head left a little film on the rim of the glass.

The smell was a strong malt flavor, a little hint of a burnt flavor and a little caramel.

A good smooth porter that was very warming going down. A great beer for a winter night or a cool spring or fall day.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

For those, like myself, that really enjoy a microbrew style porter that also is easy to drink, Narragansett Brewing Co. has truly delivered a strong result. Pouring a dark brown color, there is a strong aroma of roasted malt dominating this porter. The mouthful is also very satisfying. The bitter, roasted character is wonderfully balanced by subtle flavors of caramel, hops, and even coffee. The porter is not overly thick, making it a prime choice for those who are expanding their tastes into the microbrew/dark beer categories or those who simply love to savor a satisfying, flavorful porter on a cold winter day. Overall, I find this to be a very successful American Porter that I highly recommend to both new and experienced beer aficionados.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

I managed to actually find a place that had the elusive (at least to me) Narragansett Porter. I had this on tap at the Wild Colonial Tavern in Providence.

The beer poured a nice dark ruby/brown color with a small head that quickly disappeared. Smelled of roasted malts and nothing more really... maybe a little caramel malt in there as well. Taste was nice and roasted/toasted malt with an ever so slight hint of caramel and just enough hops to balance it out without taking away from the nice roasted flavor. The beer is not too thin and not to thick... it's just right. The carbonation is just right as well. All in all, I really enjoyed this beer. It's a great no frills porter. I had 2 of these tonight and could've kept drinking if I wasn't driving.

3.66/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On-tap 12/31/06 at The Celtic Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color, with a large, dense, beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains honey, coffee, chocolate and roasted malt.

T: The taste is malty, with a strong flavor of honey plus coffee & chocolate in the background. There isn’t an over-abundance of sweetness nor is there much of an after-taste.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium carbonation, medium body but light for the style to the point that it feels a little bit watery, very clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, not filling at all, it’s a good poundable beer but its lack of flavor may hold it back. However, I still liked the beer and as long as it’s available at the Celtic Pub, there’s no other beer on-tap there that I’d choose above it.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Narragansett Porter from Narragansett Brewing Co.