Narragansett Lager - Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-29-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Narragansett Lager Alström Bros

BeerRocks, Jun 22, 2014

BoSean_Rodriguez, Apr 16, 2014

CraftyChuck, Jul 28, 2014

This is my favorite beer. I know it's not fancy, but it goes with any food occasion and drinks well. I love the history of the brand, and really hope that they can bring the brewery back to Rhode Island. The beer isn't heavy or loaded with hops, it's well balanced. When I think of beer, this is the beer I think of.

Jeff_Newell, Feb 07, 2014

wcintula, Nov 28, 2011

touchmeimsac, Nov 27, 2011

BelgianDip, Nov 14, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +45.2%

this seems like the perfect american lager if thats what you are looking for.
not much of a head, maybe 1 finger. bright golden color, clear and clean.
nice smell of malt and a touch of hop in the backrouund. clean taste, nice lager feel withouth the cheapness you get from most.
clean finish, refreshing and very drinkable. reminds me of PBR but i like this better.
will drink this again, thats for sure. great lawnmower beer.
I rate this a 5 overall because i am rating it by its style. its not trying to be an IPA or euro lager.

robertdrinks, Sep 13, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +39.3%

White head but not much too it. slightly malty smell. clean finish. very refreshinging lager but cleaner than most adjuncts. happy to drink it again. can is better than bottle for carbonation and appearance of head. this may have been a bad bottle cap as it was slightly flat. tast was fine but carbonation was very low. not much head at all

markh814, Sep 12, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +39.3%

A: Pours a vibrant gold with lots of carbonation bubbles and a foamy bright white head. Looks a lot better than your BMC products. The very puffy head gives way to some great lacing.

S: Sweet malt and grains. Grass with a touch of sugar.

T: Has a nice, sweet grainy taste to it. Slight caramel sweetness. Earthy and leaf-like notes. The slightest touch of bitterness. Adjunct done right.

M: Not too light, a medium body, Great carbonation helps, makes it very smooth, though bubbly.

O/D: For an adjunct lager, you cannot beat this beer. It's not heavy, not light, just right for the type. Can be enjoyed year-round, will always hit the spot.

mostpoetsdo, Jul 16, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +38.4%

served from a 16oz tall boy. label proclaims itself as the "official beer of the clam" and i'm slightly inclined to agree. it goes great with a pot of steamers.

a: typical macro lager appearance. clear golden yellow color with a bit of foam.

s: typical macro aromas of corn and grain extremely subtle hoppy hint (different from your average adjunct lager)

t: great flavor for an adjunct lager. this one is by far my favorite. sweet cereal and corn flavor with a subtle grassy hop character. finishes crisp and slightly dry. very nice.

my go-to beer if I'm not in the mood for a craft brew flavor bomb. great value too.

tzieser, Aug 10, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +38.4%

Heard about this Beer having come back so had a friend going to New England bring me some back in Bottles. Used to drink it back when I was young and traveled up there. I must say I was very pleased with the Exceptional Flavor it has. Head is a nice one about 1/2 inch smell a little corn and sweetness, nice straw color. I really think the new Narragansett is much more flavorful then the old one which I liked also but this one really goes good with snacks, food or just to sit and drink Beer. A working mans delight. I enjoyed it so much I got another friend to bring me 5 cases down to Pa this past weekend. I can highly recomend this one for taste and price it can't be beat.

Schmidts, Mar 13, 2008
4.51/5  rDev +34.2%

Orangy, gold appearance. Good active carbonation. Inviting look
Good smell of grains and malt
A cold 'Gansett any time of the year tastes okay!
Good light mouthfeel
Overall for the price, it can't be beat. And its cartoon ads "from back in the day" are still the best.

lou50rp, Feb 10, 2014

Antonius08, Jan 09, 2014

Good quality lager.

InstantBeer, Sep 08, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +33%

Served in a Narragansett Pint at 40 degrees.

Pours a deep gold, clean straw color with a white head with good retention. Clean smells of pale malts and grains. Tastes of sweet corn and pale malts, with limited hop presence. Mouthfeel is good and crisp, that is well balanced. A great unoffensive adjunct style that is easy to drink without being watery and skunky.

MA08, Aug 27, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +32.4%

Appears~ Pours a golden yellow color with 3 finger head, awesome lace. Nice carbonation, but not over-kill like most lagers. Can barely see through it.

Smells~ Good ol fashion beer smell. That's all I can tell u. Nothing any beer snob would enjoy or hate on, just is what it is. Good.

Taste~ Strong for american style lager but not overpowering. Bitterness is balanced, if that makes any sense. Flavor is able to break through the hops and give way to a smooth finish.

Mouthfeel~ Good. Thin but not watery.

Drinkability~ This is my session beer. I've had hundreds of these things, and I love em all. It's the best american lager that I've had, and being local, I'm loyal to it. Trust me beer lovers, it's worth at least a try for anyone anywhere.

Coorskid33, Feb 14, 2009
Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.