2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Narragansett Lager - Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-29-2003)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Narragansett Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 707 | Reviews: 311 | Show All Ratings:
Jeff_Newell

This is my favorite beer. I know it's not fancy, but it goes with any food occasion and drinks well. I love the history of the brand, and really hope that they can bring the brewery back to Rhode Island. The beer isn't heavy or loaded with hops, it's well balanced. When I think of beer, this is the beer I think of.

02-07-2014 14:25:42 | More by Jeff_Newell
robertdrinks

4.88/5  rDev +44.4%

this seems like the perfect american lager if thats what you are looking for.
not much of a head, maybe 1 finger. bright golden color, clear and clean.
nice smell of malt and a touch of hop in the backrouund. clean taste, nice lager feel withouth the cheapness you get from most.
clean finish, refreshing and very drinkable. reminds me of PBR but i like this better.
will drink this again, thats for sure. great lawnmower beer.
I rate this a 5 overall because i am rating it by its style. its not trying to be an IPA or euro lager.

09-13-2012 17:42:12 | More by robertdrinks
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

4.68/5  rDev +38.5%

A: Pours a vibrant gold with lots of carbonation bubbles and a foamy bright white head. Looks a lot better than your BMC products. The very puffy head gives way to some great lacing.

S: Sweet malt and grains. Grass with a touch of sugar.

T: Has a nice, sweet grainy taste to it. Slight caramel sweetness. Earthy and leaf-like notes. The slightest touch of bitterness. Adjunct done right.

M: Not too light, a medium body, Great carbonation helps, makes it very smooth, though bubbly.

O/D: For an adjunct lager, you cannot beat this beer. It's not heavy, not light, just right for the type. Can be enjoyed year-round, will always hit the spot.

07-16-2009 03:38:06 | More by mostpoetsdo
markh814

4.68/5  rDev +38.5%

White head but not much too it. slightly malty smell. clean finish. very refreshinging lager but cleaner than most adjuncts. happy to drink it again. can is better than bottle for carbonation and appearance of head. this may have been a bad bottle cap as it was slightly flat. tast was fine but carbonation was very low. not much head at all

09-12-2012 11:47:24 | More by markh814
Schmidts

4.65/5  rDev +37.6%

Heard about this Beer having come back so had a friend going to New England bring me some back in Bottles. Used to drink it back when I was young and traveled up there. I must say I was very pleased with the Exceptional Flavor it has. Head is a nice one about 1/2 inch smell a little corn and sweetness, nice straw color. I really think the new Narragansett is much more flavorful then the old one which I liked also but this one really goes good with snacks, food or just to sit and drink Beer. A working mans delight. I enjoyed it so much I got another friend to bring me 5 cases down to Pa this past weekend. I can highly recomend this one for taste and price it can't be beat.

03-13-2008 20:52:25 | More by Schmidts
tzieser

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +37.6%

served from a 16oz tall boy. label proclaims itself as the "official beer of the clam" and i'm slightly inclined to agree. it goes great with a pot of steamers.

a: typical macro lager appearance. clear golden yellow color with a bit of foam.

s: typical macro aromas of corn and grain extremely subtle hoppy hint (different from your average adjunct lager)

t: great flavor for an adjunct lager. this one is by far my favorite. sweet cereal and corn flavor with a subtle grassy hop character. finishes crisp and slightly dry. very nice.

my go-to beer if I'm not in the mood for a craft brew flavor bomb. great value too.

08-10-2011 02:11:47 | More by tzieser
lou50rp

4.51/5  rDev +33.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orangy, gold appearance. Good active carbonation. Inviting look
Good smell of grains and malt
A cold 'Gansett any time of the year tastes okay!
Good light mouthfeel
Overall for the price, it can't be beat. And its cartoon ads "from back in the day" are still the best.

02-10-2014 20:41:36 | More by lou50rp
MA08

4.47/5  rDev +32.2%

Served in a Narragansett Pint at 40 degrees.

Pours a deep gold, clean straw color with a white head with good retention. Clean smells of pale malts and grains. Tastes of sweet corn and pale malts, with limited hop presence. Mouthfeel is good and crisp, that is well balanced. A great unoffensive adjunct style that is easy to drink without being watery and skunky.

08-27-2010 11:59:16 | More by MA08
Coorskid33

Rhode Island

4.45/5  rDev +31.7%

Appears~ Pours a golden yellow color with 3 finger head, awesome lace. Nice carbonation, but not over-kill like most lagers. Can barely see through it.

Smells~ Good ol fashion beer smell. That's all I can tell u. Nothing any beer snob would enjoy or hate on, just is what it is. Good.

Taste~ Strong for american style lager but not overpowering. Bitterness is balanced, if that makes any sense. Flavor is able to break through the hops and give way to a smooth finish.

Mouthfeel~ Good. Thin but not watery.

Drinkability~ This is my session beer. I've had hundreds of these things, and I love em all. It's the best american lager that I've had, and being local, I'm loyal to it. Trust me beer lovers, it's worth at least a try for anyone anywhere.

02-14-2009 19:46:10 | More by Coorskid33
gau8a

4.43/5  rDev +31.1%

taste it for yourself. you can buy a lot more expensive beer but still not compare to what narragansett is brewing. i have not been let down by anything that has their name on it. the lager is good to go to anytime but their seasonal releases are their finest works. even their prices seem fairly low for a product this good. great job narragansett!!.

12-31-2011 01:11:15 | More by gau8a
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.4/5  rDev +30.2%

I got some cans from yamar18. Thanks Kevin!

I loved th bottles I got before from Kevin so I'm hyped to try the canned beer.

Again, straw god colour with close to a 1 finger head of foam. Decent lacing for the style.

The smell is grainy and hoppy and promises a good taste and excellent refreshing qualities.

The taste brings the grain and a slight malty sweetness with a healthy hop bitterness that smacks of light citrus lemon but mostly good old plain bitterness. Geez I wish the temps around here were higher than they are so I could enjoy it outside on my deck with some grill.

Light bodied with medium carbo, it finishes nicely on the dry side. The foam does not last through the sesion but oh well.

Drinkability? Great. Just like the bottle. Narragansett is in my top 2 list for American Adjunct Lagers, the other being the Schlitz 60s Gusto. Both are damn good tasting and emminently drinkable but both are beers I have to trade for. Well worth the effort, though.

08-16-2009 15:00:46 | More by Bitterbill
lehows

4.38/5  rDev +29.6%

This has got to be my favorite beer to go for when its a hot day at the beach, out for a sail, or if I'm looking for a light but great tasting brew to down after a long day at work. Pours a perfect yellow with a crisp white head. Super clean aromas of grain, mild hops, and a touch of alcohol. Very smooth and creamy flavor hitting all the right notes. Nothing out of place here. It's exactly what it set out to be and I could drink a ton of these. Great in the tall boy cans too! It's a shame this isnt available on the Island but I usually stock up on a case or two whenever I'm in Rhody.

09-24-2010 18:03:49 | More by lehows
Luigi

4.38/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured out a white two finger foamy head that is rare in most American Adjuncts. Good lacing and head retention. The head sticks around till the last drop. Clear golden color with carbonation bubbles racing to the top non stop.

The aroma has a mild spicy hop that is complimented with hints of sweet malt and grains.

One of the more flavorful adjuncts I have tried. Spicy hops, grassy grain. And this is rare but there is hint of sweet malt.

Finishes clean, a little dry with a lingering hop bitterness.

Well, this lager must have just arrived in the south. I had never heard about it until a few weeks go. This is a classic, clean, easy drinking American lager that has flavor to it! PBR, Schlitz, High Life, and now Narragansett!! These are the American Macros I never mind picking up if I am on a budget.

10-19-2011 04:02:10 | More by Luigi
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

Radiant sunshine yellow with lemonade colored highlights. The rich, creamilicious crown of alabaster colored froth is a thing of beauty and is what makes this one of the best looking American pale lagers in memory. Large splotches and smaller spatters of lace look great as well.

Keeping style firmly in mind, the nose hits the bull's eye. Sure, it has the slightly sweet corniness and the musky hoppiness that was expected, but there's no nastiness and there's the hint of something more interesting going on behind the scenes. That might indicate a few more German hops than usual. Then again, at only 12 IBUs, it's unlikely.

Narrangansett Lager is damn good beer! Seriously, if Budweiser, Coors or Miller High Life tasted like this, I'd buy it on a semi-regular basis, especially during the heat of summer. Amazingly enough, the flavor is hanging in there admirably as the beer gains a few degrees.

I'm no Iowa homer, believe me. Having said that, the Iowa corn that NBC uses is most likely the key to this tasty little lager. It adds some sweetness (not too much, though) without adding that corny flavor that seems to ruin most corn-added beer.

Even though 6-row barley is used rather than the higher quality 2-row, NL doesn't taste grainy or husky in the least. Just pure untoasted cereal grains, accented by the briefest of herbal-spicy hop accents. Perhaps the biggest positive is a cleanliness that is akin to a lungful of fresh mountain air. Take that Coors.

If the mouthfeel had been less than good, the whole thing would have folded like a house of cards in a windstorm. It's light-medium in heft and has enough high-quality bubbles to hint at creaminess on the back end. No letdown at all.

I couldn't be more surprised at the excellence of Narragansett Lager. Those of you who have access should consider yourselves fortunate. This just might be the quintessential American pale lager. I've certainly never had one that could hold a candle to it.

11-16-2008 14:28:41 | More by BuckeyeNation
cheapxceptbeer

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

Before I begin to describe this beer, unlike most beers this needs to be drunk out of the can, it maintains a constant amount of carbonation and keeps the seltzery mouthfeel, and creamy taste

A- Well I guess I have to pass on this, I assume it looks like most American style lagers extremely watered down yellow color but I don't know because I didn't pour it into a glass
S- Smells like cheerios, no hops, nothin' else just cereal
T- Mmm, so creamy, its like drinking a bowl of liquefied rice krispies or cheerios, I wish this was the first beer I drank because I wouldn't have been repulsed by the endless array of natty, keystone and the other crap that I started drinking. For a macro this is what you want, something that everyone actually enjoys drinking, highly consistent, and no off flavors, the only difference between this and Bud is that this actually has a good flavor as opposed to tasting like sparkling water.
F- This feels like a beer, though much lighter than what I usually drink, compared to Budweiser this is a heavy beer. Nice seltzery creamy mouthfeel, but you must drink it out of the can or else it feels like soda
D- This does not weigh you down, even though the mouthfeel is much fuller than most macros it doesn't give you that heavy feeling like after drinking a bunch of guiness, this is the beer, if any, that you can drink a six pack of and not feel to bad the next day, so yes very drinkable, the best American lager I have ever laid my lips on

04-21-2009 22:59:08 | More by cheapxceptbeer
BuckSpin

4.28/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12oz bottle in a Shaker pint

BAside: great retro packaging. Love the label & bottlecap...very old school.

Poured very smooth with a soft crackle. Lite nose, nice estery quality, faint hops. Malts rise with some air and are strawlike, hay, a little bready. Head is classic - a fat finger's worth of tight, compact, creamy, slightly sculpted pearl white foam that has a decent retention and laces in thick curtains. Slight chill haze to the body, which is a pale, warm corn silk gold in hue with a decent amount of carbonation as a multitude of bubbles rise chaotically thru it. For what it is it looks the part very well.

Creamy, crisp, semisweet, very clean, semi-dry with a damp, muted crunch, rather nice. There is a pleasing smoothness to it, a crushed velvet like feel. I was not expecting an AML to have such a nice mouthfeel. This is by far the smoothest of its genre I've ever had.

Malts have faint hints of caramel/butterscotch and are overall semi-sweet, no metallic aspects noticeable. If I try I can barely detect a whisper of some hop bitterness, but we are talking miniscule at best. Its going down very easy & clean. The bread qualities of the malts grow on the palate as it really evens out, some very distant hops are barely citric, and it finishes very clean, slightly refreshing, balanced & semi-dry with a somewhat sticky sweet (not sugary) aftertaste.

Damn, this was pretty good! Without question the best of its genre I've ever had. This beats the hell out of any BMC hand down. I would drink this big time in the summer as a lawnmower beer and even just keep some around for those times you want a beer like this. It is screaming for simple food - burgers, pizza, etc. There is definitely room in the world for beers like this. I like this, I will drink more of it, I'll have it around for my "I only drink Bud" friends & family. Definitely recommended!

10-04-2007 18:00:03 | More by BuckSpin
Zorro

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

Sampled through BA johnnnniee and BEERFEST THE MOVIE BIF!! (Yeah you spell it that way.)

Clear yellow lager with an OK white colored head. Would have given it more but the head was a little skimpy.

The smell is sweet and hoppy with lots of herbal Nobel hops scent but no spiciness. No fruitiness or anything this is all traditional lager.

The taste starts out mildly sweet and hoppy with lots of toasted grain aroma. Nice spicy Nobel hops flavor possibly the best example of this aspect of Nobel hops I have tasted. Mildly herbal flavor and about perfect bitterness levels. Damn good lager.

The mouthfeel is good.

Certainly drinkable I wish I had much more of this. Minor lack of a really tall head and simplistic scent but where this beer really shines is in the taste. A really good American made lager.

11-09-2007 04:40:36 | More by Zorro
TwinSox33

New Hampshire

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

Wow! My grandfather's beer is back..with a vengeance! An awesome, awesome brew!

A: Pours a deep hued golden yellow. Comes the closest to Sam Adam's amber tinge of all the macros.

S: Light grains and Hops.

T: Thin Malts, a little caramelized malt flavor, followed by the slightest corny adjunct taste. (it is admirably hidden..bravo!) There is a tick of sweetness in there too, pleasantly so. Finishes spicy, with a floral/ hop oil bitterness. Very crisp and dry.

M: Smooth and creamy, very well balanced for a bargain beer.

I love this stuff! It is hard to come by in NH, however. Only two stores in the state carry it, both in Manchester.

08-21-2008 02:02:40 | More by TwinSox33
fx20736

4.21/5  rDev +24.6%

bought on 3/29/13 as part of a 6 pack of 16 oz cans from Beers of the World for $ 5.39.

poured from a 16 oz can into a pint glass at fridge temp.

polished brass shade of gold with some lazy bubbles. mile high linen white head leaves nice lacing.

aroma: pale malts are overpowered by a musty hoppiness

mouthfeel: average.

taste: thick white bread with just a touch of corn syrup sweetness finished with just enough hops to balance.

notes: I like everything about this beer. Brewed in my hometown of Rochester, a retro brand that was a long term advertising sponsor of my Boston Red Sox, the attractive old school can and is easy to drink and, good looking. All this for ninety cents a pint. Drinking this evokes memories of what I think retro lagers of old tasted like while listening to a baseball game on the radio. I think I just found a new lawnmower beer.

03-30-2013 08:32:21 | More by fx20736
Estarrio

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

I've just found my new every-day, cutting the lawn, session brew. Wildly available and the twelvers are less than ten bucks.

An aggressive pour out of the long neck produced a large, frothy, white head. Pristinely, clear, golden, straw color with visible carbonation.

The smell is surprisingly malty for the style. In addition to the big malt presence, the aroma produced a mild hop bouquet and some grainy notes.

The flavor is sweet and malty up front. Again, the malt is bigger than the style normally dictates. The sweet, malt flavor balances mid-sip with a delightful grain taste and then a mildly bitter finish. This is an ultra smooth, clean beer.

Light bodied, aggressively but not overly carbonated, this is very pleasing on the palate. This is a beer that I could drink all night long.

10-08-2006 03:49:13 | More by Estarrio
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

12oz brown bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Dirty yellow (not quite gold) translucent body with a half inch of off-white head that quickly dissipates. Smells malty with hints of hops and adjuncts. Tastes sweet with just a hint of hop bite toward the finish, with adjuncts playing a bit of a role too. Very clean finish. Definitely the most flavorful American Macro/Pale Lager I've had. Lighter in mouthfeel but not watery or thin by any means. Extremely drinkable. I'm actually impressed with this one. And the combination of drinkability, good flavor, and price make this one a beer I'll be buying regularly.

09-21-2007 22:58:20 | More by MrHurmateeowish
WeezyBoPeep

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Anyone who can find a better, easy to find adjunct out there, please email me.

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

A: Looks darker and fuller than your typical beer of this style. Head retention is nice, and the beer laces nicely down the glass. Looks almost syrupy, in a good way.

S: Nothing offensive to be found. Shocking considering this is an adjunct lager. Smells fresh, notes of floral hops and cracker malt. A little generic, but overall can't complain.

T: Here is where reviewing WITHIN the STYLE comes into play- this is definitely the best adjunct I've tasted, bar none. Supremely refreshing and even has detectable hints of bready, doughy malts and floral hops. Finishes completely smooth.

Value: Don't even go there. I can get a sixer of tall boys of this stuff in FLORIDA for six bucks. It's a steal!

09-27-2011 01:19:39 | More by WeezyBoPeep
RedChrome

Connecticut

4.18/5  rDev +23.7%

Crystal clear bright golden color. A bright white head faded from a quarter to nothing rapidly. Streams of fast rising carbonation. Minimal lace spots.

A lot of earthy grain aroma right up front. A sweet caramel scent is hidden behind initial smell. Hops are very light but balance the sweetness off a touch.

A lot of flavor. Fresh baked bread taste blend with a light hop bitterness. Crisp taste is balanced nicely. Nothing complicated, just good.

A decent feel on the mouth. Clings a bit and allows flavors to make themselves known. Lightly carbonated effect.

A great beer in the style. Definite winner with picnic fare. A great treat in a sea of poor offerings for the style. A local gem if there ever was one.

08-23-2008 09:42:58 | More by RedChrome
Bowdoinbeerboy

4.18/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Yellowish color with no head and loads of carbonation.

Smell- Yeasty bread with a sickly sweet smell, all macro lager.

Taste- Again rather sickly sweet, honeyish? Not at all bad, a very solid macro, perhaps the best.

Mouthfeel- Pretty good here, really lays the flavor on pretty good.

Drinkability- Wonderful, as macros go this one is boss if its around.

10-16-2008 18:04:04 | More by Bowdoinbeerboy
dag06001

Connecticut

4.18/5  rDev +23.7%

This beer is great for the price. Its normally about six bucks a six pack. Its very drinkable and its been around forever. This beer is the perfect college beer but its definitely not well known. This beer is very smooth and goes well with most food. Most liquor stores in New England carry it.

06-01-2010 02:38:57 | More by dag06001
Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.