Narragansett Lager - Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-29-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Narragansett Lager Alström Bros

Brew33, Jun 12, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -62.8%

Carpentiere, May 10, 2013
1.35/5  rDev -59.8%

This thing is just one of the worst beers I've had. Honestly. It's light with absolutely no head. There is almost no smell on this one and what is there is pretty light. The taste? Where is it anyways? And I can literally only drink one of these before I need something more complex. I've tried drinking a second, and I had to stop.

cdoublev, Oct 23, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -56%

473 ml can.

It pours a pale gold with a soapy white head that doesn't leave much lacing.

Smell is almost of nothing, there is more malt than sourness like sot AALs, but the corn is still annoying and there.

The flavor has a metallic sourness, some vegetal flavor, artificial sweetener, and some water. The mouthfeel is really watery.

Bad beer, not sure where the hype came from?, almost guaranteed from the name.

crossovert, Sep 14, 2011

TeachChefs, Jun 08, 2013

Klif, Feb 06, 2012

Doomclaw, Aug 08, 2014
1.68/5  rDev -50%

Pours a yellowish amber color with a foamy white head. Tons of bubbles throughout. Pretty much as expected.

Has a sickly sweet aroma of slight grainy malt and corn sugar.

Also has a very sweet grainy corn sugar flavor. No hops to be found. Pretty flavorless, Very watered down and a slightly astringent aftertaste.

Very fizzy, but also somewhat smooth.

I bought this beer on a whim at the store because they were doing a promotion and giving away a free pint glass with a six-pack. The thimble size sample wasn't bad in the store, but I was sorely disappointed after getting home. I got through the first one, but didn't try one again for a couple weeks. I got through a couple sips and it was off to the drain with the rest of them.

A very disappointing beer.

Kallessin, May 20, 2009

TheSevenDuffs, Jul 31, 2014

Jennille, Jul 23, 2013

jt2488, Jul 16, 2014

mitch3114, Oct 07, 2012

VTBrewHound, Mar 18, 2014
1.78/5  rDev -47%

Tall-boy into a pint glass. This one was a gift from a couple friends who were vocally abusive of this beer and wanted to get rid of it; I gladly accepted, and now hope to find some depth and nuance that they missed. I'm not sure what to expect, though, since my tastes in beer run pretty much along the same lines as my friends - we all love hoppy beers, and prefer High Life when price and/or quantity become dominant factors. Both of my friends swore that 'Gansett was the worst macro they'd ever had; reviews here seem to indicate quite the opposite. Here goes nothing.

A: Crystal clear, pale yellow (almost greenish against a white background), and very fizzy. A small white head comes and goes, leaving just the thinnest layer of bubbles on top. Pretty much no lacing. Even judged according to style, this is a disappointing-looking beer.

S: Hardly any aroma; maybe some corn.

T: Starts out with some sweetness, but it tastes more like corn than grain; some fresh yeastiness is fairly appetizing; no hops to be found; oh, good God, it finishes like dirty salt water. It's like a took a sip of a decent macro lager, and then, before I could swallow, some malicious gnome came and replaced it with Don Johnson's crotch-sweat. Appalling. I'm sticking with it, though, and as I continue to drink the yeastiness becomes more apparent and it tastes even better; unfortunately, the rancid aftertaste just won't stop coming back to torture me.

M: After experiencing the aftertaste of this beer, I have to exercise my utmost in beer respectation to follow through with a separate grade for mouthfeel - it's actually pretty darn good. Lots of smooth carbonation and a surprisingly rich body. Too bad every sip makes the journey from smooth tastiness to the depths of dank, salty hell.

D: Simply non-existent. I'm toying with the idea of sending this one back home to the sewer, but I'm actually sort of enjoying the experience of such an interestingly polarized beer.

Notes: If it weren't for the aftertaste, this might be one of my favorite adjunct lagers; with the aftertaste, it's one of the most nauseating beverages ever to cross my lips voluntarily. Overall, it really isn't nearly as bad as some truly revolting macros, but I was extremely disappointed after having seen so many relatively positive reviews. Perhaps it was an off can (no idea when it was canned), but I can't say that I'll be seeking this one out again. I'll be sticking with the High Life when circumstances preclude Ruination or Raspy.

Cheers!

waiting4lunch, Nov 18, 2011

VictorFranco, Nov 24, 2013

Wiedemann, Feb 27, 2013

Dizzy242, Jul 08, 2012
Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.