Narragansett Lager - Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-29-2003

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Narragansett Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 346 | Hads: 1,081
1.38/5  rDev -59.6%

This thing is just one of the worst beers I've had. Honestly. It's light with absolutely no head. There is almost no smell on this one and what is there is pretty light. The taste? Where is it anyways? And I can literally only drink one of these before I need something more complex. I've tried drinking a second, and I had to stop.

1.5/5  rDev -56.1%

473 ml can.

It pours a pale gold with a soapy white head that doesn't leave much lacing.

Smell is almost of nothing, there is more malt than sourness like sot AALs, but the corn is still annoying and there.

The flavor has a metallic sourness, some vegetal flavor, artificial sweetener, and some water. The mouthfeel is really watery.

Bad beer, not sure where the hype came from?, almost guaranteed from the name.

1.71/5  rDev -50%

Pours a yellowish amber color with a foamy white head. Tons of bubbles throughout. Pretty much as expected.

Has a sickly sweet aroma of slight grainy malt and corn sugar.

Also has a very sweet grainy corn sugar flavor. No hops to be found. Pretty flavorless, Very watered down and a slightly astringent aftertaste.

Very fizzy, but also somewhat smooth.

I bought this beer on a whim at the store because they were doing a promotion and giving away a free pint glass with a six-pack. The thimble size sample wasn't bad in the store, but I was sorely disappointed after getting home. I got through the first one, but didn't try one again for a couple weeks. I got through a couple sips and it was off to the drain with the rest of them.

A very disappointing beer.

1.8/5  rDev -47.4%

Tall-boy into a pint glass. This one was a gift from a couple friends who were vocally abusive of this beer and wanted to get rid of it; I gladly accepted, and now hope to find some depth and nuance that they missed. I'm not sure what to expect, though, since my tastes in beer run pretty much along the same lines as my friends - we all love hoppy beers, and prefer High Life when price and/or quantity become dominant factors. Both of my friends swore that 'Gansett was the worst macro they'd ever had; reviews here seem to indicate quite the opposite. Here goes nothing.

A: Crystal clear, pale yellow (almost greenish against a white background), and very fizzy. A small white head comes and goes, leaving just the thinnest layer of bubbles on top. Pretty much no lacing. Even judged according to style, this is a disappointing-looking beer.

S: Hardly any aroma; maybe some corn.

T: Starts out with some sweetness, but it tastes more like corn than grain; some fresh yeastiness is fairly appetizing; no hops to be found; oh, good God, it finishes like dirty salt water. It's like a took a sip of a decent macro lager, and then, before I could swallow, some malicious gnome came and replaced it with Don Johnson's crotch-sweat. Appalling. I'm sticking with it, though, and as I continue to drink the yeastiness becomes more apparent and it tastes even better; unfortunately, the rancid aftertaste just won't stop coming back to torture me.

M: After experiencing the aftertaste of this beer, I have to exercise my utmost in beer respectation to follow through with a separate grade for mouthfeel - it's actually pretty darn good. Lots of smooth carbonation and a surprisingly rich body. Too bad every sip makes the journey from smooth tastiness to the depths of dank, salty hell.

D: Simply non-existent. I'm toying with the idea of sending this one back home to the sewer, but I'm actually sort of enjoying the experience of such an interestingly polarized beer.

Notes: If it weren't for the aftertaste, this might be one of my favorite adjunct lagers; with the aftertaste, it's one of the most nauseating beverages ever to cross my lips voluntarily. Overall, it really isn't nearly as bad as some truly revolting macros, but I was extremely disappointed after having seen so many relatively positive reviews. Perhaps it was an off can (no idea when it was canned), but I can't say that I'll be seeking this one out again. I'll be sticking with the High Life when circumstances preclude Ruination or Raspy.

2.03/5  rDev -40.6%

Pours a clear dark yellow with a thin head. The aroma is of corn and bread with a hint of sweet malt. The flavor is mainly doughy with some hay thrown in. The flavor is decent for an American adjunct lager in the beginning but it gives way to a BMC flavor and watery thin mouthfeel as it warms. Narragansett Lager is acceptable. Barely recommended.

2.03/5  rDev -40.6%

16oz can poured into pint glass

Pours a clear golden with plenty of carbonation. A slight head bubbles up, fading into a nice film, leaving curtains of lacing on the glass.

Scents of adjunct lager, lemon rind, and steely citrus.

Begins with a light hit of hoppiness, followed by some flowery bitterness. Hints of citrus are apparent. A wonderful metallic taste carries out until the end.

Lighter medium body, medium carbonation. Drinks as well as any other adjunct. Move along.

2.27/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

It was most definitely the summer of Narragansett in Qtown. A staple in my fridge ever since I picked up a case in Hartford, CT. I was pleasantly surprised to see it sold locally at some distributorships and have gone through several cases.

Seemingly a simple adjunct lager maybe a little sweet and highly drinkable. Looks great in a pint glass with a golden coloring and nice head. Keep 'em coming!

Update: I'm finding a little inconsistency with the 'Gansett Lager. Dropping: Taste 3.5 and overall 4.00

I can't finish this case. Tried it 4 or 5 different times and its a drain pour. Perhaps too many temperature changes before I bought it. very bad.

2.32/5  rDev -32.2%

Thanks to Jcwattrugger

A: Pours a pale piss yellow. Tall fizzy head no retention or lace.

S: Aromas of corn, wet straw (the rotting kind),.

T: Pale malt, crackers, corn, light grassy hops. Oh yeah water lots of water.

M: Light, fizzy, watered down.

D: Nope.

2.33/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Just moved to New England so I figured I'd try the local staple. Picked up a 6 pack of pounders. Poured into a pilsener glass.

A - Light straw color with a thin head

S - Grainy and metallic, pretty standard AAL

T - Metal and corn

M - A bit heavy, could be improved with some more bitter hop backing

O - there's a lot better for cheap beer than this

2.35/5  rDev -31.3%

Appearance: huge head, medium carbonation, bright yellow, clear

Smell: grains and malt

Taste: corn, grains, and malt--with a metallic aftertaste

Mouthfeel: smooth, can feel the carbonation, very light

Drinkability: Even for the style, this one was far from my favorite. The flavorjust did not seem as clean as other adjunct lagers and left a bad aftertaste. I will be passing on this one in the future.

2.35/5  rDev -31.3%

served in half quart gold cans...
a cheapo beer (brewed now by miller, i believe). the traditional regional lager of rhode island.
pours a pale straw color. fluffy head that dies down quick. no lace. not nearly enough carbonation coming up the glass. smells like corn and lemons. slightly astringent.
taste is sweet and citrusy. no hops bitterness at all (even by the standards of a light american lager). malts just don't cut it either and flavor drops out before you can blink.
mouthfeel isn't carbonated enough. really lifeless. drinkable but not recommended at all. there are better lagers among the super cheapos, too.

2.36/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks okay, if somewhat undistinguished. Smells, actually pretty terrible. Something about the malt smells just a bit rotten. There's a weird sort of offputting acidity that seems to creep into the flavor.

I really hope that I got a bad bottle of this stuff, but I don't think I'll buy another one to check. This is just kind of a lousy beer.

2.47/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

16 OZ can into my Peoples Pint Pied pIPA pint glass. Served slightly warm
A- clear, golden color, foamy head disappears quickly, leaving traces of lacings
S- not much, vague sweetness
T- crisp, a little sweetness. More there than I expect
M- pretty watery
O- for lager in a can, one of the better choices. Extra points for local in a can. Not my favorite style, but better than the macros

2.48/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours bright yellow gold with a creamy white head, lots of lacing, persistent but becomes thin. Lot's of bubbles Lightly sweet and bready pale pilsener malt, light twinge of noble hops.

Taste is basically the same. Sweetish aftertaste. Inoffensive but I wish it had a bit more crispness in the mouth.

This is a nostalgic brand. Being that I am not a native of New England I can say it's no better or no worse than a lot of industrial lagers but doesn't particularly appeal to me.

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the Clarke Cook House.

Appearance- Light golden brown with a small soapy white head.
Smell- Corn husk, rice, straw/hay, and malt.
Taste- Light malt backbone with hints of corn, hay, and slight metallic hops.
Mouthfeel- Light and watery, flavor kicks in around the tail end.

Overall- A typical macro full of adjunct but much better then the big boys. I would choose this over all other macros with the exception of PBR.

2.53/5  rDev -26%

light golden in color with a one or two finger white head depending on the pour that quickly faded to beer. smells of cooked corn and vegetables. taste same. mouthfeel is light to medium and carbonaton is good. i'll take a pass on this one. not something i would buy again.

2.53/5  rDev -26%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First and foremost I grew up in Narragansett, RI the town for which the beer is named and originally from. With that said, I am not the biggest fan of this beer. Thin and gold appearance, and easy to drink. It is good choice among Pabst Blue Ribbon and other inexpensive beers.

2.55/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a light hint of toast. The head is white and soapy; settles quickly into a sparse cap.

The aroma is sweet and grainy, typical of the style. Some cooked veggies. Not much else to say.

The taste is malty sweet from the pale malt. It has a light fruitiness to it. There is a light corn and sulfur note. A hint of metal as well.

The feel is light to moderate with prickly carbonation. Probably a tad heavier than most for the style. The finish is clean and crisp with a dry touch.

The beer has a substantial corny flavor so I fear if this warms too much it will get nasty. Nothing really stands out, middle of the pack for a lackluster style.

2.57/5  rDev -24.9%

Pint can poured into glass and served cold. Beer is yellow gold in color, crystal clear, with big bubbles, and a foamy marshmallow head. Standard lagery aroma.

Narragansett is bland, but thirst-quenching. At first the metallic flavor barely comes through at all! Thankfully it's pretty dry, very little corn flavor here.

At the end of the day this is just the PBR of the North East. But stick with PBR.

2.59/5  rDev -24.3%

clear gold with a great sudsy head (abundantly reinforced by enthusiastic carbonation). the head receded steadily but left ample evidence in the form of frosty lacing

pils aromas are first in line, though not the clear, malty ones i love--seem a bit sticky and sour. hops are there, too: indirect grassy and meadowy scents

taste like nothing really in particular...or a collection of things--hops, malt are all muddy. hop water, really (i should give the bitterness some credit...er, the presence of hops). some shapeless sweetness. sour, grainy finish

2.6/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale golden yellow color with a loud fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The aroma is sweet grainy malt and just a hint of faint hops. The taste is pretty much your typical American Macro Lager taste, maybe a tad more flavor than BMC, but not much. The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy from the carbonation. The drinkability is this beers best feature, I could easily throw back a couple of these in a night, but most of the time I would want to drink something with a little more flavor. Overall, this is not a terrible beer, just not my favorite style.

2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

Brought back a six from my trip to New England. Saw it at trader Joes and figured a lot of my relatives enjoy adjunct lagers. Not my cup of tea. My Homestate PA's Yuengling tastes much better to me in that category. This is still better than Miller or Coors or any of the other large Macros, but it's what you would expect.

2.67/5  rDev -21.9%

Nothing overly excited me about this beer. It's a pretty standard lager to say the least. It's got the Pale yellow color that we're all very familiar with. A white head thats not very thick and dissapears after a sip or two. The best part of this beer is the old fasion look that the can has.

2.72/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a finger and a half of head on a light golden body.
The aroma is mild grain.
The taste is okay, mild grain and touch of bitter.
The texture is light and fizzy.
It wasn't enjoyable, lacked any real aroma or flavor.

2.74/5  rDev -19.9%

I CAN't believe that I do not have a review for this beer, despite having it on my Gots list! That makes me CANtankerous!

My pour got me an easy two fingers' worth of rocky bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was cereal adjuncts underlain by a lager sweetness. It saddens me to drink these things anymore. Mouthfeel was medium with a metallic tang in the mouth, accompanying a slight lager sweetness. I feel like I am becoming less and less appreciative of this style. I used to be at least tolerant, but more and more, I just note off flavors. Finish was decent with a lingering sweetness. I would save a little room in the cooler for this - it wasn't THAT bad.

From the CAN: "Hi, Neighbor! Since 1890, we've been brewing our award-winning classic lager to the original recipe that our founders perfected. It's no surprise that 'Gansett has been the beer of choice around here for more than a century. If you're not drinking Narragansett, you're not from New England."

Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.