Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Narragansett Lager | Narragansett Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co.
Rhode Island, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

Added by Todd on 09-29-2003

Reviews: 361 | Ratings: 1,143
3.7/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a solid macro. Our band, The ill mayhem, loves sipping down narragansetts after long sessions. Gansett is plentiful in the trenches of Southeast Mass and RI.

A case of gansett isnt that expensive, although we usually go for the 16 Oz. cans so we can shotgun them and then smash them on our heads.

Gansett is pretty lightly colored, like straw, and the taste is sweet.

we cant say much more than we love it, and we generally spend the money from our shows equally on Pabst, High Life, or Gansett. This is solid, cheap 'Drankin beer, for slappin your knee and jumpin round the campfire with a fiddle and a couple bongos for an impromtu jam session. its also got that "local brewed" pride thing going for it.

3.94/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance: Poured from the 16oz can into a pilsner glass. The beer is a perfectly clear, light gold color. Head was actually pretty substantial, with a pure white color. Grew to one and a half fingers thick with somewhat poor retention. Typical of the style.

Smell: Somewhat sweet aroma, with a grassy hint of fresh hay and grain.

Taste: Perfectly clean taste expected of the style, with a bit extra tacked on to the end. Actually has a hint of maltiness, with a noticeable sweet character.

This is actually a great tasting American Macro Lager. Extremely drinkable with just the right amount of flavor to make it palatable, but also light enough to make a nice session of. Amazing value as well...

2.48/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours bright yellow gold with a creamy white head, lots of lacing, persistent but becomes thin. Lot's of bubbles Lightly sweet and bready pale pilsener malt, light twinge of noble hops.

Taste is basically the same. Sweetish aftertaste. Inoffensive but I wish it had a bit more crispness in the mouth.

This is a nostalgic brand. Being that I am not a native of New England I can say it's no better or no worse than a lot of industrial lagers but doesn't particularly appeal to me.

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a golden fizzy color with an inch of thick white head.
Smell is of straight lager beer, smells of cereal grains.
Good taste to this macro lager. It has a great balance of malts and hops, a good taste for a lager. A small hop bite at the end.
Mouthfeel is above average, a little to thin.
Drinkability is very nice. Could drink these all day long, even though it has good taste to it.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

Hands down one of the best value beers in New England (don't think you can get this one anywhere else, but I could be wrong). 6 bucks for a sixer of pounders is a good deal. Definitely better than the big three, and also beats PBR and Schlitz, IMO. Has a nice flavor, less sweet than other macros, but without that offensive, musty, strawy or corny taste. I really like this beer, and I wish it were available outside of NE. Coming from the mid atlantic, I like to think of this as the Yuengling of the north, though slightly lighter (different styles). Again, a great value, and worth trying.

4.6/5  rDev +34.5%

Heard about this Beer having come back so had a friend going to New England bring me some back in Bottles. Used to drink it back when I was young and traveled up there. I must say I was very pleased with the Exceptional Flavor it has. Head is a nice one about 1/2 inch smell a little corn and sweetness, nice straw color. I really think the new Narragansett is much more flavorful then the old one which I liked also but this one really goes good with snacks, food or just to sit and drink Beer. A working mans delight. I enjoyed it so much I got another friend to bring me 5 cases down to Pa this past weekend. I can highly recomend this one for taste and price it can't be beat.

Picked up some on a visit to a friend in Mass. Had saw the beer was being brought back so I tracked some down and brought a 12 pack home. It is now brewed by High Falls for Narragansett. Used to buy this in PA back in the early 90s when it was being made by G Heilman I believe. My local distributor always had specials on Narragansett, Ranier, American, Golden Anniversary, etc.

New Englanders like their own products, so bringing a mid priced light lager to give the locals a local choice seems like a good idea.

Poured a nice golden yellow into an Anheuser Busch glass purchased at the Merrimack NH brewery tour gift shop. Head was about one finger. Faint smell of hops i believe. Taste was balanced with some mild carbonation. Some lacing left on the glass as I drank it down.

Overall, a competitor to Bud/Miller/Coors rather than to Sam Adams. Priced accordingly as well.

Seems to be a trend in bringing back retro beers. Most of these brands werent missed when they left the first time, but I always support having choices.

3.3/5  rDev -3.5%

Narragansett Beer pours a light golden yellow with a thick head that laces nicely as it fades from a sixteen ounce can. There is a typical macro lager aroma, albeit on the mild side. The mouthfeel is average for a macro lager. The flavor is grainy with a touch of spicy hops. Pretty good flavor for a macro.

2.76/5  rDev -19.3%

Pint can poured into a pint glass....golden yellow with a full finger white foam head that melts and leaves a sticky map on the side of the glass.

Lager aromas even hint at skunkiness even though it's in a can. pale malt and little else.

Taste is thin even for a lager. Wow...this isn't the way I remember 'gansett from the '60's. I seem to taste some corn although I didn't think they used adjuncts. A little hop bite on the end that is nice.

Aftertaste is clean and mouthfeel is decent for a lager but I'm still disappointed.
Sometimes memories are best remembered rather than revisited.
<sigh>

3.35/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a delirium glass for shits and giggles. Gansett pours a clear straw yellow, with a decent white head that lowers at a normal rate. Light lacing. Light aroma of cereal grains, with no solid hop character. It has that mass produced beer aroma, with a sharp finish. Sweet flavors with a little twang at the end. Good mouthfeel, carbonation is medium. Very drinkable, but it is what it is, a better than average vintage/retro American beer. It could easily be my Pabst replacement. Good beer for the value.

2.74/5  rDev -19.9%

I read the review of this beer and figured it may be a good "cheap beer" to try. It poured a yellowish gold with a decent body and the head of foam was amazing. The taste was nothing special, but it wasn't horrible either. A good beer to have served ice cold for washing down pizza. You can definately taste the adjucts, but I still would rather drink this over the other macros out there. @ 6.00 for a six pack of talls, it is a good budget beer.

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Looks like an inviting golden lager. Nothing too exceptional about it but I would argue that it's a bit darker than say Milwaukee's Best. Little white head on this that clings to my pint glass all the way down.

S: Straw, dry dusty smell. Almost like hay harvest in the field late in the year. Not a bad thing though.

T: I like it. It's smooth and has a slight dryness to it. I can taste a bit of the straw that I smelled in it. To be sure, it's a decent brew for the price.

M: Carbonation not unlike any other standard lager. Nothing jumps out of this one but nothing stands out as bad either.

D: I can swill quite a few of these and enjoy looking under the caps at the puzzles and sayings they've got. It's great cooking beer as well for beer bread and making chili.

2.9/5  rDev -15.2%

As mentioned this is better than Bud, but I think there's a sort of myth-cult quality to this beer that inflates its rating beyond what it really is--just a decent American macro pale lager.

I just squeezed a couple lime wedges into my pint glass and now it's party time, Corona style.

Hey, it's brewed by the Genessee/High Falls brewery so quality has to be above average.

Wish it lived up to its mythic stature. Oh well, next?

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

Local beer bar has $2 tallboy Narragansett night so I had a few of these. Pours a golden yellow with a nice white head that sticks to the sides of the glass as it fades. The aroma is of medium malts with some medium hops blended together for that classic American macro aroma. The taste isn't too bad for this kind of beer. Nice mixture of the malts and hops that blend pretty well and quench my thirst. The mouthfeel is OK as it has a bit of a bite to it, but it is very drinkable and I don't mind have a few of these for $2 at the local bar. Worth a shot.

3.18/5  rDev -7%

I picked up a six pack because someone I was trading with had it on their want list. I probably never would have picked it up otherwise. Kinda glad I did.

Pours a golden yellow color with a creamy white head that leaves quickly. The color reminds me of the apple juice my daughter drinks. The beer is sparklingly clear. The smell is malty, apricots, and a little skunky. Taste is light. Mouthfeel is thin crisp and refreshing. Not to bad for a macro. I could drink a few of these and still operate heavy machinery (that's a joke). Honestly it was better than I had expected.

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

This is (figuratively, and quite literally so) NOT your grandfather's Narragansett. There's a lot to be prejudiced about - the (now ancient) Narragansett history of being a mass produced low-end beer, being sold in 'twist off' bottles, etc. This might explain the emphasized surprise, seemingly reluctant faint praises, etc. These guys have a name but also a historical image problem. These folks had a table at the American Beer Fest 07, and I stopped by more on a curiosity than a desire to try it, and I have to say they got the beer part right. I have to say I like this beer.

Pours nicely from the bottle into a standard pint glass. This produces a generous head, layered nicely with a fine bubble strata above a coarse bubble base. At this point you might expect heavy carbonation..

Smells maltier than your average 'American' lager. Aroma hops. A pronounced - not overpowering - yeasty smell.

Tastes pretty damn good, like a lighter version of something Sam Adams would make. They don't overdo malt heaviness, and you don't taste any adjuncts like rice or corn (I have no idea if they use such ingredients, but you try this beer _expecting_ it will taste like a Coors or Bud). It finishes slightly dry, with some hop bite left in the mouth. Might make for a good session beer.

3.33/5  rDev -2.6%

I'm voting thumbs up on this beer. Admittedly, I came at this with very negative assumptions dating back to my college days when this beer had a reputation for being quite nasty, and acquired several negative plays on the name. I saw the 81 BA ranking and felt that in middle age, I ought to be more open minded about this beer. I'm glad I was. This is a respectable lager that is quite drinkable and enjoyable. It pours a very golden bright yellow with some head that dissipates quickly. The smell is your typical sharp lager hop smell with some corn or grain adjunct. The beer is not particularly dry or biting and not cloyingly sweet either. It benefits from the right balance and this is what makes this beer so respectable. Macros tend to sin in either extreme, but not Narragansett. The beer has a modest carbonation, a light feel, a watery mouthfeel and no real aftertaste. Another strong plus is that Narragansett settles nicely as the beer warms, unlike so many other Macros that need to be drunk close if not at the freezing point lest the beer disintegrate into its ugly parts. Again, not so Narragansett. This is a pretty decent lager worth a try. L'Chaim.

July 2009: I'm adding some points here. I've had this several times in the can and this is now my go-to lawnmower beer when it is hot outside. There is a nice sweetness to the lagery malts, and boy is this a light beer. Nothing to complain about for sure.

4.22/5  rDev +23.4%

Sampled through BA johnnnniee and BEERFEST THE MOVIE BIF!! (Yeah you spell it that way.)

Clear yellow lager with an OK white colored head. Would have given it more but the head was a little skimpy.

The smell is sweet and hoppy with lots of herbal Nobel hops scent but no spiciness. No fruitiness or anything this is all traditional lager.

The taste starts out mildly sweet and hoppy with lots of toasted grain aroma. Nice spicy Nobel hops flavor possibly the best example of this aspect of Nobel hops I have tasted. Mildly herbal flavor and about perfect bitterness levels. Damn good lager.

The mouthfeel is good.

Certainly drinkable I wish I had much more of this. Minor lack of a really tall head and simplistic scent but where this beer really shines is in the taste. A really good American made lager.

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

appearance - nice golden color with a white foamy head and some lace.

smell - Clean crisp smell, some hop smell, and malt smells here.

taste - Some hop flavor, more on the macro side, i don't think this taste much like the light version.

mouthfeel - Light body, kinda a bland.

drinkability - Not a bad beer, now lets bring this back to RI will ya.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I recently did a review of Brooklyn Lager straight out of bottle, reasoning that I'm pretty much always going to be drinking Brooklyn Lager straight out of the bottle unless I order it at a bar. I've chosen the same path with Narragansett, since I will never pour this beer into a glass for as long as I live. While I claimed that I would write a newer review of Brooklyn's lager served in a pint glass at a later date, I make no such claim for Narragansett's fine brew. This is a beer that is meant to be consumed straight out the can.

The 16 oz. tall boy is majestic and enticing, solely because I know what the aluminum exterior is hiding beneath. Trying to take a more objective approach, this looks like straight-up old man beer. I wasn't around back in its heyday, when it was the official beer of the Red Sox, but I imagine aside from the web address printed on the top and side of the modern day can, the old and "new" designs are probably close to identical.

Crackin' the bad boy. This smells like American Lager. No bullshit. Nothing fancy, but this ain't crap either, despite its costing the same as many low-end beers.

Taste:
(see smell paragraph immediately above)

Conclusion:
6 bucks for a 6 pack of tall boys ($5 at Downtown Wine 'n Spirits in Somerville!), this is unbeatable in my eyes. It costs the same as dreg macrobrews such as PBR and the like, yet tastes noticeably better. If you're gonna go cheap, at least go local(regional) and cheap. Pretty widely available in Boston liquor stores, I just wish more bars carried this beer. I tend to stray from glass bottles, as it's a waste of money, but for watching sports, I'll rock the 'Gansett tall boy any day of the week.

This beer works all year round, hot or cold.

4.23/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12oz bottle in a Shaker pint

BAside: great retro packaging. Love the label & bottlecap...very old school.

Poured very smooth with a soft crackle. Lite nose, nice estery quality, faint hops. Malts rise with some air and are strawlike, hay, a little bready. Head is classic - a fat finger's worth of tight, compact, creamy, slightly sculpted pearl white foam that has a decent retention and laces in thick curtains. Slight chill haze to the body, which is a pale, warm corn silk gold in hue with a decent amount of carbonation as a multitude of bubbles rise chaotically thru it. For what it is it looks the part very well.

Creamy, crisp, semisweet, very clean, semi-dry with a damp, muted crunch, rather nice. There is a pleasing smoothness to it, a crushed velvet like feel. I was not expecting an AML to have such a nice mouthfeel. This is by far the smoothest of its genre I've ever had.

Malts have faint hints of caramel/butterscotch and are overall semi-sweet, no metallic aspects noticeable. If I try I can barely detect a whisper of some hop bitterness, but we are talking miniscule at best. Its going down very easy & clean. The bread qualities of the malts grow on the palate as it really evens out, some very distant hops are barely citric, and it finishes very clean, slightly refreshing, balanced & semi-dry with a somewhat sticky sweet (not sugary) aftertaste.

Damn, this was pretty good! Without question the best of its genre I've ever had. This beats the hell out of any BMC hand down. I would drink this big time in the summer as a lawnmower beer and even just keep some around for those times you want a beer like this. It is screaming for simple food - burgers, pizza, etc. There is definitely room in the world for beers like this. I like this, I will drink more of it, I'll have it around for my "I only drink Bud" friends & family. Definitely recommended!

Pours a medium yellow color with a head that fades fast. Aroma is bready/fruity with some malt showing through. Taste is strong and leaves a bready aftertaste with even a touch of bitterness. Goes down well. Not too bad of a beer but certainly not something I'd drink often.

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%

12oz brown bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Dirty yellow (not quite gold) translucent body with a half inch of off-white head that quickly dissipates. Smells malty with hints of hops and adjuncts. Tastes sweet with just a hint of hop bite toward the finish, with adjuncts playing a bit of a role too. Very clean finish. Definitely the most flavorful American Macro/Pale Lager I've had. Lighter in mouthfeel but not watery or thin by any means. Extremely drinkable. I'm actually impressed with this one. And the combination of drinkability, good flavor, and price make this one a beer I'll be buying regularly.

3.33/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz bottle poured with vigor into Sam Adams glass.

A: darker shade of straw, medium carbonation with nice frothy white head.

S: slightly sweet smelling. light hops and a bit of grains

T: nice level of hop bitterness for a macro, sweet maltiness but not to sweet. very nice

M: crisp, light and refreshing with just right amount of carbonation

D:a nice macro lager. this is one I will enjoy over and over.

Hi neighbor! It's nice to see 'gansett back. They were pretty much closing shop when I started drinking beer so I don't know how closely it resembles the original, but it's damn tasty.

3.42/5  rDev 0%

Had this one from a 12 oz. bottle. Nice yellow/straw color, a bit darker than the normal "macro", with sheet lacing. Initial smell is malt with some faint hint of grass. The taste is better than average for the style, with definite malt sweetness. While there is little hop bite/finish, the hops are definitely present, as they keep the taste from being cloying. The mouthfeel is soft and somewhat rounded. The drinkability is good. I really like this one for the style.

I'm heading to RI for biz this week, and I am looking forward to having this on draft as well as sampling the bock and porter, which are not available in NW Connecticut.

Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.