Narragansett Lager - Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-29-2003

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Narragansett Lager Alström Bros

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can poured into a tulip glass.

A: Clear golden body with a white head that had a fair amount of retention.

S: Kinda like corn and some mild fruit. A little bit of booze

T: Taste like corn, a very refreshing beer.

M: Goes down easy and crisp, excellent lawnmower beer.

O: I can score a 6-pack of 16 ounce cans for $6 I think thats a pretty good deal, for a refreshing beer. That isn't BMC

3.84/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap at Acme Bar and Pizza in Rochester, NY.

One of the best of the style made in America, was happy to finally try this one. Pours a bright yellow into a shaker pint, with a 1 inch head, and a small amount of lacing down the glass.

Smells include sweet grain, sweet corn, and faint whiffs of herbal hops.

The herbal hop flavor is stronger in the taste than the aroma, but is still muted, per the style. The sweet grain flavor is really nice, a little bit of honey even.

Light bodied, very crisp, very drinkable. I could put back a few of these quite easily.

One of the best adjunct lagers on the market. Not offensive in the slightest, actually has a taste that brings you back for more.

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is a nostalgia beer for me. Growing up, we spent our summers in Newport, RI - my father was a reservist in the Navy... not rich. During the free spirit days of the late 1970s, I'd sneak sips from my parents cans (of beer). As an adult, living in CA, I still enjoy this brew. Perhaps not because of the taste - which isn't bad - but more for the memories it conjures up in my psyche. Whenever my parents visit they'll smuggle several cans in their suitcase, bubble wrapping and hiding in shoes or other unique locations (since it's not a crime to place in checked luggage, not sure why they feel the need to put in their shoes).

Anyway, its a decent beer. Something to enjoy after vigorous exercise.

2.19/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

It was most definitely the summer of Narragansett in Qtown. A staple in my fridge ever since I picked up a case in Hartford, CT. I was pleasantly surprised to see it sold locally at some distributorships and have gone through several cases.

Seemingly a simple adjunct lager maybe a little sweet and highly drinkable. Looks great in a pint glass with a golden coloring and nice head. Keep 'em coming!

Update: I'm finding a little inconsistency with the 'Gansett Lager. Dropping: Taste 3.5 and overall 4.00

I can't finish this case. Tried it 4 or 5 different times and its a drain pour. Perhaps too many temperature changes before I bought it. very bad.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

16oz tallboy can into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a white, fluffy two finger head. Surprisingly good head retention and lacing with huge globs on the sides of the glass.

Aroma has a slight metallic note along with some floral, grassy hops and corn. Low on DMS which is nice and it really smells pretty good.

Cooked corn, hay, and grass in the taste with a bit of DMS. Mouthfeel is heavier than I was expecting and is a little bit sweet and sticky which, in my mind, limits drinkability somewhat. Very light bitterness.

Overall, this is not a great beer but it is a better than average AAL. Has more flavor than most and is easy-drinking. I would pick this up on occassion if it were available to me.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a nostalgia beer for me. Lot of it down the pipe while stationed at Westover AFB back in the day. Whenever I travel to Mass on business I grab a Gansett since it came back in 2005. Interesting that it was out of business during my drinking hiatus. Still my favorite upeast Lager brewed in Upstate NY. Good head dissipates quickly leaving a nice lace, mouthfeel is excellent and the beer is good with any food. My preference is some good New England chowder, a burger and a Gansett.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.31/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - bright gold color - straw-like with thin lace. head disappeared shortly after pouring

S - similar to standard macro lager. delightful compliment to sandwich and fries.

T - refreshing. great session lager - very solid B/B-.

M - slight carbonation and a light feel.

O - great beer - on par with Schlitz, and above Pabst; but it doesn't quite match Yuengling.

Poured this from a can to a pint glass at Scratch Kitchen in Salem, MA.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.