Narragansett Lager - Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-29-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Narragansett Lager Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

16oz can poured down my gullet.

Pours a very clear light yellow with no head. Nose is corn and light hops.

Taste is fairly well balanced for an adjunct lager, it's crisp, light a bit bitter and fairly fresh. I mean it's not an amazing beer, but it's well balanced and way more drinkable than most.

kingcrowing, Feb 12, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

Received in trade from BennyL1 (thanks Ben!). Poured into a tulip.

A - Golden straw colored. Rolled out with about a one inch head that settles down fairly quickly.

S - Almost imperceptible malt smell. Tad bit of sweetness.

T - Just a bit of sweetness in the taste. Cereal in there as you would expect. Finishes very dry.

M - Clean and crisp. Light bodied. Good carbonation.

D - Session beer for sure. This would make a great summer beer. Toss out the Bud/Coors and get this instead.

GallowsThief, Feb 09, 2011

Date: 3 February 2011
Glass: Standard nonic
Type: 12fl oz can

Poured gently, with an unexpectedly high head of 2-fingers, reduces to thin film with better-average-lacing, color is clear straw yellow. Aroma is crisp, with a touch of corn, and none of that adjunct skunkiness. Taste is smooth, no skunk or bad bitterness, has corn on the tongue as well. This is considerably good for an adjunct lager. I really enjoy this....would be a great addition to finger food.

ToAzwethinkweizm, Feb 03, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Narragansett is yellow, clear, and showcases one frothy head. Definitely a better looking brew than most others, whose heads fade almost instantly.

S: Where is it?

T: Light and clean, with a touch of fatty-sweet corn.

M: Light, clean, and smooth.

D: A decent brew at a decent price: $4.99 for a 6-pack of tall boys. It's not going to wow you, but it has some character. For what it's worth, I would take PBR over this any day.

Avagadro, Jan 23, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Yeah! Thanks go out to Knifestyles for this can as repayment for the Grain Belt Premo I sent him. Little did he know that this is valuable tick for me since I've never had a beer from Rhode Island. Color is, well, yellow! Tall white head that recedes fairly quickly with few bubbles coming up from the pint glass. Aroma is very grainy with a hint of breadiness, and little corn that I've come to expect from this style. Hobs are in there somewhere which a touch of herbal qualities and earthiness to the aroma. Much like the smell, very grainy, very dry, with some decent biscuit-like maltiness bringing up the finish. Bitterness is low but the hops do add a bit of grassy flavors to the brew. Taste is not light by any means, but it's very smooth and easy to drink, with lower carbonation. Fuck yeah, lawnmower beer. I'd drink thehell out of this stuff if I could get it regularly. It's still no Grain Belt (haha, nothing is!), but it's excellent for the style. Thanks for the tick, Chris!

KeefD, Jan 21, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

Appears a bright straw yellow with a decent white head that falls to a layer that stays. It smells grainy, some corn, mild hops nose. Smells pretty good for what it is.

The taste is mildly sweet, a bit of corn, nice crisp aftertaste attributed to the hops. Compared to one of the large macros this is divine! A really tasty brew for when a light American lager is called for.

The body is light but has more depth than a Budweiser. The carbonation is active and light on the tongue. Overall a great value at $6/ sixpack of tallboys and it is better than any macro that I can think of.

ThirstyBird, Jan 18, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Perfect golden pour with a fizzy white head, classic American lager here. Aroma is corn and honey but not the overripe cabbage that some lesser brews have. This is beery beer. Taste is smooth, carbonated and crisp. Perfectly drinkable brew, nice grains and honey with some hop flavor flashes. Taste finishes dry but fresh. But this is a no frills brew, perfect for any time. Reminds me of a much better Labatt Blue. Glad I got to try this brew. A true American original. This should be the widely available brew here, not Bud.

saintwarrick, Jan 08, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

A - the normal golden/yellow color of most American Adjunct lager with a 1-2 finger head

S- mostly corn maybe a hint of malt in the nose

T- has the normal taste of an adjunct lager without the cloyingly sweet taste of the corn

M- highly carbonated and thin

D- refreshing beer I would definitely pick this beer over any other american adjunct beer i have tried

philmorepunk87, Jan 08, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -24.7%

Pint can poured into glass and served cold. Beer is yellow gold in color, crystal clear, with big bubbles, and a foamy marshmallow head. Standard lagery aroma.

Narragansett is bland, but thirst-quenching. At first the metallic flavor barely comes through at all! Thankfully it's pretty dry, very little corn flavor here.

At the end of the day this is just the PBR of the North East. But stick with PBR.

hreb, Dec 30, 2010
2.03/5  rDev -39.6%

16oz can poured into pint glass

Pours a clear golden with plenty of carbonation. A slight head bubbles up, fading into a nice film, leaving curtains of lacing on the glass.

Scents of adjunct lager, lemon rind, and steely citrus.

Begins with a light hit of hoppiness, followed by some flowery bitterness. Hints of citrus are apparent. A wonderful metallic taste carries out until the end.

Lighter medium body, medium carbonation. Drinks as well as any other adjunct. Move along.

xnicknj, Dec 12, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured roughly into a glass, a thick head of creamy white froth will rise above the golden body below. The head retention is surprisingly good, and it leaves some very nice sheets of lace along the side of the glass.

There's a little bit of sulphur in the nose which is not surprising as it's a lager; but there's also a little bit of dimethyl sulfite (cooked corn) which is a little odd. There's just a touch, and after a few sips you'll block it out and not notice it anymore. What hops are there are present in the background, and fairly generic. If pushed I would describe them as leafy and grassy.

There are a little more hops in the flavor though, although they remain at very low levels. I get some floral character, and a tiny bit of spiciness in addition to the continued leafy and grassy notes. Mainly, it offers a sweetish, corn like maltiness. And I'm not suggesting that it's made with corn (I don't believe that's the case), but I think that little bit of DMS suggests it in the flavor of the malt. The bitterness is kept at a fairly low level, along with the hop flavor, but there's just enough there to keep it from becoming sweet; and in comparison to some other American lagers that seem almost completely devoid of hops, this one's got at least some character.

The body is light/medium; and it's got a gently crisp carbonation that helps balance it without leaving you gassy - although I do have to note that I always give it a bit of a rough pour to bring up the head, which then cuts down on the remaining carbonation by a bit. And on that note, I would suggest that this beer only be consumed from a glass. If you drink it from a can or bottle you'll completely miss its subtle nuances, and it will appear as generic "beer".

The drinkability of this beer rests mainly in its accessibility. There's just not enough character to keep you wanting to come back for more,, but given limited options there's not really anything to keep you away.

NeroFiddled, Dec 06, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Narragansett Lager pours a crystal clear straw yellow color with a small, fizzy white head on top. As the foam disappears only a few spots of lace remain on the glass. A few streams of bubbles are seen rising to the surface.

The aroma is faint, but has notes of grain, grass and floral hops. For some reason the aroma reminds me of bread dough.

Each sip of this light bodied beer is smooth, slick on the palate with a mild carbonated fizz on the tongue. The flavor is grainy and sweet. It has notes of corn and pale malt. A nice floral hop flavor balances out the malt. It finishes sweet with the grainy flavor lingering on the palate.

This is a very easy to drink American lager. Fairly well balanced, not too bitter and it doesn't have those weird flavors some of the big companies have in their products. This beer seems more natural than the better known brands. I wish it had a better aroma and some more bitterness. This just might be my new 'go to' beer when I'm at a bar with a poor craft beer selection or it's a hot summer day.

WanderingFool, Nov 27, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

As a Rhode Islander I felt obligated to try this one, I was not disappointed. Has a slight sweet malty taste and mild aroma. It has more of an amber color than most pale lagers I've tried. The head quickly disappears. Though it doesn't look very carbonated you feel it on you tongue. Highly drinkable. Has more taste than Miller High Life(my favorite pale lager, well used to be). I could get used to this one. For an inexpensive six pack on a Sunday afternoon this would do the trick.

rjplumer, Nov 21, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

The thread on 'Gansett Porter spurred me to finally get around to reviewing this one.

Poured into a standard pint with a crystal clear golden color and a huge pillowy head with lots of retention and good lacing. Smells like loads of sweet bread and a decent musty scent. Taste is really grainy, cereal-like, with a lot of sugar flavor and a nutty aftertaste. No hops to speak of and all flavors clear out pretty quickly. Highly carbonated and very light in body, too light for a lager I would say but considering the competition, not bad. I like having this around as a cheap option that has decent flavor. Worlds better than other cheap beers I've had and equally priced but in a larger format can. Great to have around for hot days or when I want a beer but don't want anything I have to really think about or worry about savoring.

kbanks13, Oct 30, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a crystal clear yellow straw color with cap of soapy white head, minimal retention and lacing. Scent is of light grass, hay and grain with a faint touch of sweetness. Taste follows scent, uber clean taste of fresh hay and grain with a minimal lightly sweet impact from the malt - must note there are no "vegetable" tastes associated with adjunct lagers. Extremely light body with moderately high carbonation. Extremely clean and clear scent and taste with no off notes makes for a surprisingly drinkable adjunct lager.

rfgetz, Oct 24, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -59.8%

This thing is just one of the worst beers I've had. Honestly. It's light with absolutely no head. There is almost no smell on this one and what is there is pretty light. The taste? Where is it anyways? And I can literally only drink one of these before I need something more complex. I've tried drinking a second, and I had to stop.

cdoublev, Oct 23, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +8%

Pours a clean yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, sweet malt and a good clean lager smell. In the taste, clean saaz hops, and a sweet to dry malt. A small bite and a light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry, hop in the aftertaste. Nice clean lager, nothing uber fantastic, but nice nonetheless.

OWSLEY069, Oct 18, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

So...a tall can of lager? At least it is made with honor. I am always wary of that aluminum slag taste but if it not in a bottle to begin with then I may never know the difference. There are other perfectly good canned only beers out there like Oskar Blues but enough of my tangent, on with the review! Pours a bright gold like a heavenly halo. Smells of sweet grains and some mild musty hops. Tastes surprisingly complex with a creamy texture well balanced cereal grains with a crisp finish. Good job Rhode Island now where is my Pawtucket Patriot?

Portertime, Oct 13, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +14%

A beautiful beer for everyday drinking. I always keep some in the fridge.

I recommend the bottles over the cans, and I recommend drinking from the container. There is something strange about this beer that makes it taste strange out of a glass, especially apparent with the Sam Adams pint glasses.

The beer is very light in color and produces an enormous amount of head.

It's also pretty cheap, which is always good.

TomBrend, Oct 08, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Bought a sixer the other day thinking it would be great around the campfire to share with friends. And at $5.50 for a the lot, I say this is going to be a go to decent purchase for company that I don't want to share my nice beer with. Anyhow, as I said before, poured into a pint glass. This has a big white head that sits on top of a clear light bodied yellow beer. Visible carbonation and sticky lacing. Smells typical to the style, cereal, a slight amount of hops and that undeniable smell of beer my dad used to drink. Nostalgic if nothing else. The taste isn't anything to shake a stick at either. Pale malts and a slightly bitter finish make this exactly what I would want from this guy. The mouthfeel has a nice lively carbonated and light body. As for my opinion with most adjunct lagers, they are the epitome of drinkable. This will certainly be around for company and myself.

Bendurgin, Oct 07, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +11%

Rather than describe the color and smell because I'm sure the description will be exactly the same as everyone other review, I will say that this is the beer that I always buy when I'm short on coin. This is not the best tasting lager in the world, but it is damn good for the $5.79 you pay for a six pack of 16oz cans (In Boston). By far the best beer I've had for that money. Compared to the price of PBR, this beer is far superior. Its cheaper than Bud and Coors and I think it tastes much better. Narragansett lager is a must try for anyone who drinks beer.

On a side note, I was in Block Island, RI last weekend (off the coast of Narragansett), and in the grocery store there was a sign for Narragansett Lager and advertised on the sign was a note saying that this beer was rated an "A" by the Alstrom brothers. Granted their actual rating is not far off from that, I found that kind of funny.

Brewnami, Oct 03, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a basic pilsner malt scent along with a low hop aroma a dry lager yeast character. The taste is average. It has a light, pilsner malt flavor that goes dow easy and finishes smooth and clean. It's not overly flavorful and it's low in malt character. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is an average adjunct lager. I like it better than Bud, Coors, Miller, but it's not much better.

WesWes, Sep 27, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine May 2007.

The resurrection of the retro Lagers has created somewhat of an embedded drinking culture populated with über-hipsters and nostalgia drinkers--half American heritage and half grass-roots marketing.

Pours off with a rush of foam, subsiding to a thin, bubbly lace that only survives from the active carbonation. Perfect clarity with a dirty straw color. Clean, fresh-cut-hay graininess, cooked grits and a mild floral aroma. Super crisp, with a semi-high level of carbonation that yields a smooth light body. Fresh snap of grain husk has a sharpness to it; modest hop bitterness adds to the effect. Very clean all around. Quick flash of malt flavor jumps to a raw corn-grit taste with a mild dextrin flavor in the end. Finishes dry with a lingering bite of grain.

It is what it is: an American Macro Lager--but for what it is, it's not too shabby and sits on top compared to the rest of the retro Lagers out there. Without a doubt, a staple on a hot summer day. Pair with a plate of fried calamari & hot peppers--Rhode Island style.

BeerAdvocate, Sep 27, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +30.4%

This has got to be my favorite beer to go for when its a hot day at the beach, out for a sail, or if I'm looking for a light but great tasting brew to down after a long day at work. Pours a perfect yellow with a crisp white head. Super clean aromas of grain, mild hops, and a touch of alcohol. Very smooth and creamy flavor hitting all the right notes. Nothing out of place here. It's exactly what it set out to be and I could drink a ton of these. Great in the tall boy cans too! It's a shame this isnt available on the Island but I usually stock up on a case or two whenever I'm in Rhody.

lehows, Sep 24, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +17%

Gansett is a great canned beer. Served around Boston at concerts it is near and dear to my heart. It has all the classic lager attributes and does them well. It's nicely carbonated and laces in a foamy splendor when poured. With a clear, golden color, this brew goes down smooth, crisp and with refreshing ease.

smurder187, Sep 14, 2010
Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.