Uptown Brown - Four Friends Brewing

good

Four Friends Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: atsprings on 01-02-2011)
Reviews by atsprings:
atsprings

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

My first brew from Four Friends, on-tap at Flying Saucer Charlotte served in a standard pint glass a dark amber with a thin quickly diminishing head. Aroma is dark malts and a hint of brown sugar. The taste is a nice amount of dark malts alongside burnt caramel and brown sugar, quite tasty. The beer is light and smooth with mild carbonation. This is a very enjoyable brown ale, I look forward to trying more beer from these guys.

01-02-2011 17:39:45 | More by atsprings
PatLarsen

South Carolina

Pours brown black with a beige head. Carmel and chocolate taste with something lingering in the background. Can't quite place it. It has a bit of an earthiness to it but its not hops. I couldn't finish the pint had to had it off to a friend. He couldn't finish either. He wondered if the lines had been cleaned when I tasted this. Maybe that's what is off. I think they self-distribute. So, I wonder if the lines were dirty. I am giving it across the board 3.0s because I think had a dirty line taste.

06-29-2011 19:52:37 | More by PatLarsen
Kegatron

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

04-08-2013 12:01:35 | More by Kegatron
thagr81us

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Served from tap into a sampler tumbler. Poured a hazy red brown with a minimal off-white head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, nutty, and dark chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, caramel, nutty, and cream. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. My only gripe is that the flavor on this one wasn't very robust. If this could have been addressed this one have been one-Hell-of-a beer. Good aroma coming off of this one with a nice mouthfeel.

06-10-2011 18:03:00 | More by thagr81us
GSmithBeer

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

Had a pint of this at Duckworths. I'm differ slightly from others reviewing this beer. I think it had a nice appearance. The smell was a bit off to me. Couldn't really place my finger on what that was. The taste followed the smell. Just a bit off-putting. The mouthfeel was okay. It seems a bit thin to me. Overall, I think I would give this an average to slightly better than average rating. Again, not real sure what was off with this beer, but something was. And, I hate to do that because they are a local company.

05-06-2011 21:17:07 | More by GSmithBeer
Bung

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

05-20-2013 02:35:41 | More by Bung
mikesgroove

South Carolina

Rich and dark with some light brown colors coming through on the sides and the bottom. Light carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom of the glass througout. Light tan head faded very quickly.

Aroma was bready, with an almost moldy malt like aroma layered on top of a copious amount of wheat and barley, This carried over well into the flavor which was a bit of a mixed bag. A little light for a solid brown ale, this one had some nice touches of caramel mixed in but seemed torn between styles. Still though nice finish with a smooth light body and an easy drinkability.

Not a bad little ale here, I would not snub it if I saw it again thats for sure. Not bad at all.

06-24-2011 02:07:24 | More by mikesgroove
CBlack85

South Carolina

Picked up a growler of this at the brewery. Poured from the growler into a DFH shaped pint glass.

A fairly aggressive pour yields a fairly substantial tan colored head that recedes rather quickly leaving behind very little lacing. The body of the beer is a deep brown with some ruby highlights when held up to the light.

The aroma is caramel, roasted chocolate, and brown sugar. A nice sweet aroma that teases you with just a hint of roasted malts and maybe a touch of coffee as well. No hops to speak of

The taste is much like the nose; caramel, roasted chocolate, and bready and roasted malts. The slight coffee aroma does not translate to the flavor. Like the nose there are no hops present to speak of. Medium bodied and mildly carbonated with creamy mouthfeel. Really a well crafted brown ale. Very drinkable

Overall, I think this a terrific beer. While I do enjoy a hoppy brown ale sometimes, there is something to be said for a well crafted malty brown ale that doesn't have to be drowned out with hops.

02-23-2011 15:48:44 | More by CBlack85
CrazyApe

4.88/5  rDev +31.2%

This is by far my FAVORITE of all the Four Friends beer. I had it on draft at the tap room. I quickly noticed the deep brown coloring. When I drank it the notes of carmel and rich malts danced on my tongue! I loved the richness of the beer. I will be ordering more of this one!

02-14-2011 11:59:16 | More by CrazyApe
Ik_hou_van_bier

4.5/5  rDev +21%

11-03-2012 16:03:53 | More by Ik_hou_van_bier
knm

New Mexico

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

From a bomber, this beer required a hard pour-to get the head I wanted on this very dark, brown ale.
Smell is strong rich chocolate and coffee.
As is the taste, much stronger than most of this style. Closer to an Irish stout or a porter, but a solid brew.

03-21-2011 23:23:10 | More by knm
ChristianBlack

2.78/5  rDev -25.3%

I feel bad for this new brewery. They just can't catch on. They have some pretty dedicated people involved, but just can't come up with a recipe that people like. The appearance of this brown is good. It's brown. The smell is a bit funky. The taste is problematic. It's like it has been on tap for a while and probably just sat there. The mouthfeel is thin. Overall, I am being kind by giving it a C. It's only because they are local. I hate to slam a local beer with people that are really trying to make it.

07-24-2011 22:30:38 | More by ChristianBlack