Jolly Pumpkin Cafe And Brewery Ann Arbor
Ratings: 74 | Reviews: 39 | Display Reviews Only:
Reviews by mrbeermug:
4.33/5 rDev +2.9%
Having lived around and frequented the brewpub since it opened, I've seen all sides the place offers.
BEER - There are always rotating seasonal taps, experimental taps that don't get bottled, standards, and new releases from Ron Jeffries' other joint business venture North Peak Brewing Co., which has some solid IPAs. Also got to buy and taste some 6-7 yr old beers from Jolly Pumpkin's first batches thanks to Ron holding a charity rare beer auction from his personal cellar. My favorites have been:
- Spring Sour (1 time only blend of several different beers)
- Raspinnicle - The 2nd in the "Green Leaf" experimental series of non-sour beers, brewed with spinach. Solid, unfiltered, biscuity pale ale. The other two beers in the series were good as well - a kale beer, and a nettle imperial ipa.
- Oro de Calabaza - world-class, lightly sour belgian golden ale with wonderful belgian yeast and punchiness. The best of their regular brews.
- Madrugada Obscura - Wow. Sour imperial stout - talk about breaking new ground in a beer category and doing it well! Phenomenal depth, complexity, and balance and I've still never had any other beer quite like it. Generally only brewed in Feb-Mar, it's still avail in bottles this summer.
- Biere de Mars - big, funky, biere de garde similarly complex to a Oud Gueze and just packed with flavor without being overly heavy. Wonderful beer.
Lots of other beers I like there too...
FOOD - I had lunch with the head chef and talked with her about her philosophy when it opened. She sources as much local/organic/seasonal food as she can and then does things like maker her own kimchi in-house. Very solid food for the price, but definitely a little more pricey than normal brewpub fare.
AMBIANCE - Gorgeous artwork from the bottle label designs, crafty chandeliers and sconces, dark woods, and friendly people abound. Big, spacious outdoor deck for the summer. Well-designed.
08-07-2011 16:33:22 | More by mrbeermug
More User Reviews:
4.25/5 rDev +1%
During my 3 day trip to Ann Arbor I visited this place three times. That's how special their beers are. And clearly the secret is out because every time I went I had to (gladly) wait in line.
Their pizzas and burgers seem to be the most popular items on the menus and for the most part they were very good if not a little greasy. Just to keep it healthy I also had a salad there which I enjoyed very much.
The restaurant is nicely decorated and kept very clean despite how busy they can get. I ate at the bar and at the tables as well and both experiences were very nice. They also seem to do a lot of take out business.
The servers were always very friendly and talked about their beers fairly well. They also made some pretty good recommendations which my party appreciated. A few of them were unfamiliar with sours. A definite Jolly Pumpkin specialty.
Their pricing was only slightly more expensive them what I found elsewhere in Ann Arbor but absolutely worthwhile.
Given the opportunity I would definitely go back.
08-19-2014 21:39:58 | More by KornWallace
Jolly Pumpkin Cafe And Brewery Ann Arbor in Ann Arbor, MI
93 out of 100 based on 74 ratings.