471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

471 IPA471 IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004)
Reviews by Cavery:
3.95/5  rDev +1%

Bottle given to me by my Brother in-law a few weeks ago. We've exchanged some beers from time to time, so it seems I've got an unexpected tick in my glass. Always appreciate Colorado brews, as we get pretty weak distro here in Socal. Cheers Mark!

Over Sized Wine Glass, Fancy Proper.

A: Really rustic cider orange that immediately makes me think this bottle might be a bit older than I'd like, there's a lot of Barley Wine character in the visual that furthers my suspicions. A modest off-white yellowish orange sticky bubble formation forms some weak but present lacing along the sides of the glass. A thin half-transparent film hugs the circular ring of the glass.

S: Triple sec infused brioche bread, with some golden raisins adding some texture to the baked product. Dried apricots, a little bit of bright dried pineapple chunks, and some thin leathers with some persimmon juice spilled on them. Alcohol is hidden well by the flavors, but the intensity of the nose does makes this seem alcohol forward. The alcohol just seems to be a sticky adhesive which all the flavors have stuck to very firmly. Light banana and tangelos in the finish.

T: Geez, it's so surprisingly light in the mouth. A complete absence of hops definitely makes me think I am drinking this beer well off it's intended state. However, I really like what I am getting out of this. Tons of crazy bursting dried fruit flavors. Dirty old Pineapple, pumpkin, and green mango. Earthy bitter tones that almost make up for a ghostly hop presence (A phantom bitterness does appear in the back). I am scratching my head a bit, but I honestly am liking this. Sweet breads make a great background for all the flavors.

M: Medium body with very little bubbles, once again the age comes into question. The beer feels so lofty in the mouth, like a freeze dried cloud. The mouth is chewy and musky with a thick humidity. The bitterness plays off the light chewiness really well, this accentuates leathery feels in the mouth. This might be old, but geez this is pretty good.

O: The combination of the visual and the taste of this beer really makes me feel like this is a fresh JW Lees Harvest Ale. The flavors seemed so familiar, and it once I made that connection I really have been unable to separate these beers. Obviously there's a difference in gravity, and in the intention of consumption, but this has a strikingly similar (but much much lighter) flavor profile. With all that in mind, I have to admit I liked this beer. The lightly chewy leathers with the slow release of juicy flavors from dried fruits made this an unexpected pleasure. The dried fruit flavors are intensely bright, but still have that unmistakably muskiness that reeks of dried fruits. Unexpected ones too: Pineapples, persimmons, tangelos. This was unusual to drink, and hid the alcohol amazingly well. I'd really like to try this fresh from the source to give me an idea as to how old this was. I suspect this was quite old, as there wasn't even the slightest bit of hops present.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Drank this after a Moylan's Hopsickel so it took a few sips to gage it after that all out hop attack Hopsickel is,poured a clear copper with some deep orange tint a tight one finger white head settles into a nice creaminess atop.Very floral aromas with some citrus and pine and a touch of caramel letting you know there is some malt in there,a big IPA with big hoppy tones the familiar flavors of pine and grapefruit but there is a bigger sweetness to this big IPA brown sugar flavors really show thru even more so as it warms.A nice IPA has all the hop flavors just sweeter than alot of the style in my opinion.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance – This is a beautiful thick, gorgeous orange in color with some interesting floaties and a nice, full white head.

Smell – The hops here are huge orange rind with a little fruity sweetness and a stiff malt toasted aroma. The sugary orange aroma is very attractive and makes the nose IMO.

Taste – That orange sweetness finds its way to the taste making this a delicious DIPA that won’t offend the novice drinker. True there is some bitterness to this one but it is balanced and quite flavorful.

Mouthfeel – This is bigger than medium-bodied but not full with a strong bitterness that is happily offset by a terrific orange sweetness. The carbs are light and the mouthfeel is smooth.

Drinkability – Way too quaffable for a 9.2% ale.

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

Single 12 ounce pours light amber with a creamy three finger head that is very sticky, great lacing, maintains a very generous layer all the way down the glass. Smell is floral with a touch of grapefruit and some caramel malt. Not a whole lot going on.

There's a nice big malt backbone over some rather nondescript hop bitterness - maybe a touch of pine. The alcohol is well hidden, but begins to warm after more than half the glass is gone. Mouthfeel is a stong point: hearty, dry, full-bodied but very drinkable.

This beer is well constructed, but I was hoping for more hop character, or any character. There are plenty of beers I'd rather buy for the price.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

Reviewed from notes made on 10/23/10.

A: I poured the entire contents of the bomber into an obviously large snifter, which results in a one and a half finger, dark khaki head. The color is a murky golden-amber-orange. Carbonation bubbles drift slowly up the glass, and the lacing tightly packed, sticky, and, well, lacy.

S: Lots of caramel malt sweetness opens upfront with a decent dose of grassy and citrus hop aroma. There is a little grandparent mustiness infiltrating my nose, ala an English Barleywine. I also smell a lot of brown sugar.

T: This is a prime example of a Double IPA that blurs the style line with an English Barleywine. I am not positive if that is because this particular bottle is old and that the hops have worn off (no bottling date to check), or if that is just how this beer is crafted, but the sweeter caramel and brown sugar malt flavors definitely trump hop presence in this fella. The end of each sip does have a decent sweet citrus hop flavor, but the overall taste is dominated by that big, sweet malt and musty flavor.

M: This has a good medium-bodied feel with a fair pucker from the hops at the end of each sip. The carbonation provides a nice sizzle at the start of the sip.

D: This Double IPA is smooth and easy to drink, but with its similarities to a barleywine and the fact that I've had many other Double IPAs that I like better, I'd say this brew is fairly average.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A: An orange tinted, medium gold with a light haze. The long lasting off-white head settles to a thin cap with a large rafts of foam and a ring around the glass. Some lacing on the glass.

S: Citrus and pine hop aromas dominate the aroma at moderate levels with a herbaceous, mint-like dry hopped aroma. There is a light malt sweetness having a carmel note and moderately-light alcohol notes.

T: A smooth moderately-high hop bitterness and moderate hops flavors dominate the flavor with a a light malt sweetness and a carmel malt flavor supporting. The hop have a flavors of citrus and pine but the flavor is fairly light. The balance is decidedly bitter with a long linger bitterness hanging on long past the dry finish.

M: This beer has a medium body and a moderately-high level of carbonation. There is a light astringency a some alcohol warming.

O: A very smooth DIPA despite the substantial bitterness and ABV this is easy to drink. I like this and will be buy more from time to time but I generally want more hops flavor in an IPA or Double IPA.

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

22oz poured into a tasting cup

Pours a nice pale orange color, as I would hope a pale ale would pour.

The aroma is the best thing this beer has going for it. A lot of citrus, mainly grapfruit(my favorite hop characteristic).

Where it lost me is on the palate. It starts out nice but when it hits the back of the tongue a definite alcohol sharpness and unforgiving bitterness that hinders drinkability quite a bit.

Overall, good hop character but a bomber is way too much. I'm not sure if I would even want tweleve ounces of this. I think I have a headache.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Thin head with a hazy cider color. Very lazy
carbonation.

S: Sweet and hoppy with the undertones of the
alcohol.

T: Sweet and piney hops that really hit the
back of my tongue hard. The malt is able
to come survive the hoppiness of this
relatively tame imperial IPA.

M/D: This is a well balanced brew that I do
enjoy drinking though its name is not
precisely representative of the product.
I prefer a hoppier imperial and a little
more crispness.

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

471 Double hopped IPA... Dipa. 9.2% alcohol.

A- Pours a glowing orange fluid (especially in sunlight) with a small half inch head that falls to barely there froth on top leaving nice spider web lacing.

S- I smell a heavy boozey essence upfront with mild grapefruit and citrus hints. Light malty scents as well.

T-M- Taste is very straight forward... alcohol esters, rich malts and slightly hopped up. I'm not going to lie had to sit back and figure out what i was tasting. In one sentence a alcohol sweet malty beverage with decent hop presence. Mouthfeel is rough and unbalanced with little to no carbonation to get the heavy alcohol flavor over the buds. Thick malty backbone.

D- I could drink this beer at the right price.
I cant remember what it was but well worth it for what it is. Strong and ok flavor.

Note: Drink at 55-60F for the best flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Reminds me of Hoptimum. Good stuff.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured form a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Clear golden amber in color with a thick puffy white head - uneven and long lasting with great lacing. This looked awesome!

S: Nice mix of citrus and floral hops, with just a bit of underlying malt underneath. Again, very nice.

T&M: Hops - first and last. The first wave hits you like a bitter rush, assaulting the tongue with that hoppy goodness. The malts are present but not prevalent; the hops are clearly the star of the show here as they should be in an IPA. Not really balanced, the hops strike out at you and really grab hold of your tongue hard. I liked it. Carbonation was moderate to light. The finish was long and bitter with more hops lingering on forever. The slight warming on the way down is really the only thing that gives away the strength of this brew.

D: If you like hops, chances are you will like this one. It's strong on hops, no doubt, but there is some room for refinement. There is a bit of an oily texture at the swallow - not sure if this is from the alcohol or the incredible hops. I guess I might just be tainted by some others but I really like the more balanced IPAs that still pull off the hoppy profile. Regardless, this is a good brew and I would definitely seek it out again.

1.25/5  rDev -68%

The 471 IPA pours from the bomber a wonderful deep orange with a touch of red and a nice creamy, bubbly head that's almost khaki in color. Looks nice in the glass for sure. Aromas of deep rich piney resinous hops alongside a hefty sweet caramel, doughy maltiness. Brash, herbal hops are raw and quite nice. Candy like.

First sip brings a sweet caramelly, doughy maltiness. This is accentuated by a blast of bitter, piney, herbal hops. Raw, green, earthy and wonderfully resinous. There's a nice balance at play here. A tasty hop forward IPA that is tasty. Finishes with a nice bitterness on the way down.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy aspect and mellow carbonation. Goes down really easily...the bomber will disappear quickly. This one really doesn't seem like it's 9.2%. A winner from Breckenridge. Worth a shot by all means.

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

I found this in Virginia of all places along with a slathering of other Breckenridge Brewery beers.

22oz bomber which said double hopped...thats all I needed...

Popped the top and a nice citrus aroma came hissing out. Pour came with a thick, tall white head which reduced to a thick, rocky coating with loads of lace. Perfectly clear orange, light caramel body.

Loaded with citrus hops and not afraid to let you know before you even taste it. A strong grapefruit citrus with a good dose of tangerine added to boot. Some grassy, sweet malts round it out. A bit of alcohol in the nose.

Rather simple tasting and straightforward but hits the right spots. I was expecting more citrus hop flavor from the aroma. Fairly strong bitterness levels which come forth with a strong pine flavor and citrus flavors. I find this a a bit lacking with malts though and comes across a little harsh without the sweetness they usually provide although the hop combination could add/cause this. Not as smooth drinking as some other DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is good. Not as full as it could be but decent. Drinkability is good as well. The slight harshness of the hops not being balanced well with an equal part of malt flavors might make it hard to swig these back.

Overall a good IPA with an awesome aroma. Could be better balanced, pick one up if you see it around and like hops...

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.95/5  rDev +1%

22oz bottle purchased at Village Market, Hampton Falls, NH. No dates on bottle.
In a tulip the beer was a clear gold color with a huge off-white head. Plenty of sticky lace.
Mostly piney hops aroma. Some citrus, some sweet malt.
Caramel taste. Piney and grapefruit hops.
Medium-bodied, but a little sweet for my taste.
Would still drink it again.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear golden orange with a smallish soapy white head that retains well and leaves a touch of lacing.

The aroma is a nice mix of sweet caramel malts, fruitiness, and piney, grassy hoppiness with a touch of pepper.

The flavor is sweet and fruity (apricot) caramel malts leading into a big bitter and resiny piney hop finish. The alcohol is well hidden, but definitely warms the liver. The mouthfeel is a little on the thin and watery side.

A pretty good DIPA - tends more towards IPA than DIPA I think. Not best in class, but the best Breck beer I've ever had. I usually like grapefruity notes in IPAs rather than the apricot - personal preference that docked it a little in my book. It reminded me somewhat of Great Divide's Titan IPA , but not quite as good from what I remember.

471 IPA from Breckenridge Brewery