471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

471 IPA471 IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004)

samogletree, Feb 22, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -68%

SuomiHobbit, Jun 20, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -68%

bickdalls, Sep 26, 2013
1.49/5  rDev -61.9%

Maybe it was just a bad bottle that I had, but this was really not drinkable. I washed and thoroughly rinsed the pint glass before putting this in.

Coloring was nice; lighter orange with a decent head.

First waft of smell made me push it away. Smelled faintly of garlic and sour milk.

Taste was some combo of that.

Maybe just a bad bottle judging by everyone elses review, but really not pleasant.

discharmingly, Aug 12, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

chefduff2, Jan 06, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -55.2%

ahbaggins, Jun 14, 2014
1.83/5  rDev -53.2%

9.2% ABV confirmed. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an Odell 90 shilling pilsner glass in me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and very good retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Typical appearance for the style.

Sm: Floral hops - in too high a density to be appealing. Lacks subtlety, to say the least. Candied caramel notes are heavy. A fairly strong aroma.

T: Candied caramel, a metallic note, and terrible wretched floral hopping - as badly executed as I've ever encountered. No alcohol comes through. Too sweet. This is quite bad; one of the poorest executed IPAs I've had in a long time. Absurdly imbalanced. Not at all tasty. Few redeeming characteristics; maybe the hint of pale malt in the foundation. Too bitter on the climax.

Mf: Smooth and wet; definitely too smooth. Artificial with a metallic twang. Doesn't suit the style well at all. Overcarbonated. A bit too thick.

Dr: Hard to drink; the taste is just so off-putting. One of the worst brews I've had from Breckenridge ever. This is a strong Avoid. Vote with your dollar and leave this on the shelf. The off flavours alone are enough to ruin it. ABV is well hidden. I don't think I'll finish this; this is going to my friend - if he'll have it.

D-

kojevergas, Dec 31, 2012
1.95/5  rDev -50.1%

Pours a pale, pumpkin hued straw color with a puffy white head. Ropey lacing and little retention with lots of tiny sediment particles.

The smell comes off somewhat stale at first. I get a lot of dingy basement, toasty malts and some numbed pine resin scents. There is a very apparent alcohol and some unrefined citrus notes poke through as well.

Holy booze fest. The taste kicks off with a marginal amount of pine, but that is hard to think about when you swallow and damn near need a chaser. Somewhere in the heavy alcohol flavor, grapefruit struggles to make an appearance. The bitterness is quite low and can't really stand up to the booze. The malts come with a bread like flavor that doesn't really add much to the enjoyment of the brew. The alcohol dies a little as I continue to sip, but I can feel it all the way down the pipe in to my stomach.

Mouthfeel is ok, not syrupy and a tad under carbonated in my opinion.

Overall I am very disappointed. Maybe I drank it too warm, but I'm not too sure I will even finish the bomber. Overpowering alcohol and very little complexity. I hate to bag on a brew, but this was bad.

BDLbrewster, Oct 20, 2009

bastu, Jan 08, 2013

A- Pours a hazy orange/yellow body with a good 2-finger white head that drops halfway then sticks around for a while. Some nice lacing.

S- Wow. I really hope this is an old bottle and not how this should smell. Barely a hint of grassy hops, but all caramel malts, very sweet. I can't believe this is anything more than an all malt beer. Absolutely terrible for a DIPA.

T- Not much better than the smell. All caramel malts with more sweetness. Very little, if any, hop presence.

MF- A nice medium bodied beer that has good carbonation level.

O- Again, I hope this was just an old bottle because this was horrendous. Almost no hop anything in this beer: No taste. No aroma. Nothing.

LtCracker20, Dec 25, 2011

DeadGuyRyan, Nov 11, 2012

fishguyac, Oct 05, 2012

cannunzi, May 29, 2013

59rockabilly, Jun 07, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -45.5%

I had been eyeballing this for a few weeks now and decided to go ahead and pick this one up. After it was all said and done, I'm glad I picked it up. Because I know not to buy it again now.

A - pours a thick orange color with a good amount of head. Very cloudy and looks like a very flavorful beer.

S - Pleasant smelling, very light. You can definitely pick out the hops here.

T - BITTER! This took me by surprise. I might be able to drink this beer if it wasn't for the unpleasant after taste about 5 seconds after the swallow.

M - Thin and oily. Not much else to say.

D - Thought my sink was gonna spit this back up.

jds1469, Jan 16, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

12oz bottle (whose packagin still refers to itself as a Bomber...) drank on 6/4/06.

Clear golden-amber brew with a moderate off-white head.

Very estery malty sweet nose, almost champagne-like, and definitely containing too much acetylhyde!

Starts out champagne like on the tongue at first, with a hint of sweet malt. Hops are green, like chewin' on hop pellets, a little greasy and resinous with lots of resinous aftertaste.

This tastes incomplete, like unfinished beer not done with the last steps of fermentation and conditioning. Full of acetylhyde and champagne-like esthers. I don't believe this to have been infected, as I've tasted unfinished and infected beer. This was definitely like the former.

Typical pale body.

I'll try this again, a long time from now. Perhaps it will be done fermenting by then...

sopor, Jul 16, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -43.7%

1 pt 6 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a semi-transparent copper color with two fingers of just off white, creamy head. Retention is solid given the high abv. Generic.

S - Sweet caramel, light citrus and pine hops notes, and a strange metallic note. Simple but seemingly balanced.

T - Heavy pale malts open to a strange metallic and orange/lemon note. Muted, dull hops on the finish. Bitterness comes through on the climax. No regard for balance whatsoever. Boozy throughout. Very poorly built. I'm missing the fresh hops notes.

M - Smooth, oily and wet.

D - The heavy alcohol, imbalance of flavors and off flavor make this one hard to drink. I'm not having it. Poor example of the style.

blakelive784, Dec 31, 2012

carteravebrew, Jun 18, 2012

Sarge3130, Sep 07, 2013

Johnroby, Oct 01, 2013

Nichols33, Aug 27, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -41.7%

Thanks to mnjeff, again, for this one! My first beer from Breckenridge.

I poured a bottle of it into my brand new 20 oz 'gansett glass. Why the hell not!?! This beer is really cloudy. Like really cloudy. The head on it is fluffy, like someone dumped a marshmallow on this thing. There's also some very thick lacing. It has a light amber color to it. Kind of like piss when your are really dehydrated. This beer is fucking gorgeous, but whats with it being so insanely cloudy?

The aroma has a lot of carmel in it. Maybe some light biscuit. Seems like this might have an excellent malt back bone to it to balance out these spicy hops. Alcohol is pretty prevalant.

(First sip) Whoa! I don't know what happened here. There's a big amount of alcohol that is only concentrated by a spicy hop flavor. The sweetness of the carmel I smelled in the aroma hits your tongue for a split second and then kind of lingers in the background.

(Couple more sips) It's just very bitter and has too much alcohol flavor. This beer is hot on the back of the tongue and has a burn going down your throat. It's definitely a little different from most big IPAs I've had but I don't think it's all working here.

This beer is the definition of palate fatigue. Getting farther down the glass I can barely taste the beer anymore. It could warm you up in these freezing temperatures but I don't think I would drink another one of these.

BearsOnAcid, Jan 09, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -40.4%

Appearance - A finger of head is noticeable. A golden straw-yellow mixed with a sunrise amber orange creates this slightly cloudy IPA. Seems heavily carbonated.

Smell - Very heavy in orange peel. Hops are not as noticeable as predicted; especially for a 9.2% double. A slight musky grapefruit smell as well.

Taste - A very musty shadowed bitter taste. Slight caramel malts appear on the finish. Contains hints of orange citrus, lemongrass and light fruits. Banana and pineapple are slightly noticeable.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Easily drinkable and medium bodied. The musty bitterness of the hops is quite unpleasant and makes the beer seem very old and not fresh at all.

Jesse13713, Mar 22, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -39.9%

pours a murky burnt orange with a 1.5 finger head wich left a good amount of lacing down the glasss. smells of booze and tropical fruit. the taste is where this beer lost me it was very salty bitter and hints of metal. as the beer warmed up more it lost the metal taste but became more boozy and even more salty. mouthfeel was suprisingly kind of thin which made it more drinkable to me. overall this will be the last 471 ipa i will be buying.

jsh420, Apr 29, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Cloudy amber with a thin head. Some side lacing which is nice.

S: Citrusy orange and flowery hops.

T: Strong grapefruit/citrus flavor. Incredibly bitter.

M: Thin and slippery. Has a strong bite that does not make it easy to drink.

O: I won't be trying this one again.

MufflnMan, Apr 05, 2011