Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

471 IPA471 IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004

Reviews: 786 | Hads: 2,085
1.52/5  rDev -60.8%

Maybe it was just a bad bottle that I had, but this was really not drinkable. I washed and thoroughly rinsed the pint glass before putting this in.

Coloring was nice; lighter orange with a decent head.

First waft of smell made me push it away. Smelled faintly of garlic and sour milk.

Taste was some combo of that.

Maybe just a bad bottle judging by everyone elses review, but really not pleasant.

1.88/5  rDev -51.5%

9.2% ABV confirmed. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an Odell 90 shilling pilsner glass in me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and very good retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Typical appearance for the style.

Sm: Floral hops - in too high a density to be appealing. Lacks subtlety, to say the least. Candied caramel notes are heavy. A fairly strong aroma.

T: Candied caramel, a metallic note, and terrible wretched floral hopping - as badly executed as I've ever encountered. No alcohol comes through. Too sweet. This is quite bad; one of the poorest executed IPAs I've had in a long time. Absurdly imbalanced. Not at all tasty. Few redeeming characteristics; maybe the hint of pale malt in the foundation. Too bitter on the climax.

Mf: Smooth and wet; definitely too smooth. Artificial with a metallic twang. Doesn't suit the style well at all. Overcarbonated. A bit too thick.

Dr: Hard to drink; the taste is just so off-putting. One of the worst brews I've had from Breckenridge ever. This is a strong Avoid. Vote with your dollar and leave this on the shelf. The off flavours alone are enough to ruin it. ABV is well hidden. I don't think I'll finish this; this is going to my friend - if he'll have it.

1.99/5  rDev -48.7%

Pours a pale, pumpkin hued straw color with a puffy white head. Ropey lacing and little retention with lots of tiny sediment particles.

The smell comes off somewhat stale at first. I get a lot of dingy basement, toasty malts and some numbed pine resin scents. There is a very apparent alcohol and some unrefined citrus notes poke through as well.

Holy booze fest. The taste kicks off with a marginal amount of pine, but that is hard to think about when you swallow and damn near need a chaser. Somewhere in the heavy alcohol flavor, grapefruit struggles to make an appearance. The bitterness is quite low and can't really stand up to the booze. The malts come with a bread like flavor that doesn't really add much to the enjoyment of the brew. The alcohol dies a little as I continue to sip, but I can feel it all the way down the pipe in to my stomach.

Mouthfeel is ok, not syrupy and a tad under carbonated in my opinion.

Overall I am very disappointed. Maybe I drank it too warm, but I'm not too sure I will even finish the bomber. Overpowering alcohol and very little complexity. I hate to bag on a brew, but this was bad.

2.01/5  rDev -48.2%

A- Pours a hazy orange/yellow body with a good 2-finger white head that drops halfway then sticks around for a while. Some nice lacing.

S- Wow. I really hope this is an old bottle and not how this should smell. Barely a hint of grassy hops, but all caramel malts, very sweet. I can't believe this is anything more than an all malt beer. Absolutely terrible for a DIPA.

T- Not much better than the smell. All caramel malts with more sweetness. Very little, if any, hop presence.

MF- A nice medium bodied beer that has good carbonation level.

O- Again, I hope this was just an old bottle because this was horrendous. Almost no hop anything in this beer: No taste. No aroma. Nothing.

2.19/5  rDev -43.6%

12oz bottle (whose packagin still refers to itself as a Bomber...) drank on 6/4/06.

Clear golden-amber brew with a moderate off-white head.

Very estery malty sweet nose, almost champagne-like, and definitely containing too much acetylhyde!

Starts out champagne like on the tongue at first, with a hint of sweet malt. Hops are green, like chewin' on hop pellets, a little greasy and resinous with lots of resinous aftertaste.

This tastes incomplete, like unfinished beer not done with the last steps of fermentation and conditioning. Full of acetylhyde and champagne-like esthers. I don't believe this to have been infected, as I've tasted unfinished and infected beer. This was definitely like the former.

Typical pale body.

I'll try this again, a long time from now. Perhaps it will be done fermenting by then...

2.23/5  rDev -42.5%

1 pt 6 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a semi-transparent copper color with two fingers of just off white, creamy head. Retention is solid given the high abv. Generic.

S - Sweet caramel, light citrus and pine hops notes, and a strange metallic note. Simple but seemingly balanced.

T - Heavy pale malts open to a strange metallic and orange/lemon note. Muted, dull hops on the finish. Bitterness comes through on the climax. No regard for balance whatsoever. Boozy throughout. Very poorly built. I'm missing the fresh hops notes.

M - Smooth, oily and wet.

D - The heavy alcohol, imbalance of flavors and off flavor make this one hard to drink. I'm not having it. Poor example of the style.

2.25/5  rDev -42%

I had been eyeballing this for a few weeks now and decided to go ahead and pick this one up. After it was all said and done, I'm glad I picked it up. Because I know not to buy it again now.

A - pours a thick orange color with a good amount of head. Very cloudy and looks like a very flavorful beer.

S - Pleasant smelling, very light. You can definitely pick out the hops here.

T - BITTER! This took me by surprise. I might be able to drink this beer if it wasn't for the unpleasant after taste about 5 seconds after the swallow.

M - Thin and oily. Not much else to say.

D - Thought my sink was gonna spit this back up.

2.36/5  rDev -39.2%

Thanks to mnjeff, again, for this one! My first beer from Breckenridge.

I poured a bottle of it into my brand new 20 oz 'gansett glass. Why the hell not!?! This beer is really cloudy. Like really cloudy. The head on it is fluffy, like someone dumped a marshmallow on this thing. There's also some very thick lacing. It has a light amber color to it. Kind of like piss when your are really dehydrated. This beer is fucking gorgeous, but whats with it being so insanely cloudy?

The aroma has a lot of carmel in it. Maybe some light biscuit. Seems like this might have an excellent malt back bone to it to balance out these spicy hops. Alcohol is pretty prevalant.

(First sip) Whoa! I don't know what happened here. There's a big amount of alcohol that is only concentrated by a spicy hop flavor. The sweetness of the carmel I smelled in the aroma hits your tongue for a split second and then kind of lingers in the background.

(Couple more sips) It's just very bitter and has too much alcohol flavor. This beer is hot on the back of the tongue and has a burn going down your throat. It's definitely a little different from most big IPAs I've had but I don't think it's all working here.

This beer is the definition of palate fatigue. Getting farther down the glass I can barely taste the beer anymore. It could warm you up in these freezing temperatures but I don't think I would drink another one of these.

2.38/5  rDev -38.7%

pours a murky burnt orange with a 1.5 finger head wich left a good amount of lacing down the glasss. smells of booze and tropical fruit. the taste is where this beer lost me it was very salty bitter and hints of metal. as the beer warmed up more it lost the metal taste but became more boozy and even more salty. mouthfeel was suprisingly kind of thin which made it more drinkable to me. overall this will be the last 471 ipa i will be buying.

2.38/5  rDev -38.7%

Appearance - A finger of head is noticeable. A golden straw-yellow mixed with a sunrise amber orange creates this slightly cloudy IPA. Seems heavily carbonated.

Smell - Very heavy in orange peel. Hops are not as noticeable as predicted; especially for a 9.2% double. A slight musky grapefruit smell as well.

Taste - A very musty shadowed bitter taste. Slight caramel malts appear on the finish. Contains hints of orange citrus, lemongrass and light fruits. Banana and pineapple are slightly noticeable.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Easily drinkable and medium bodied. The musty bitterness of the hops is quite unpleasant and makes the beer seem very old and not fresh at all.

2.43/5  rDev -37.4%

A: Cloudy amber with a thin head. Some side lacing which is nice.

S: Citrusy orange and flowery hops.

T: Strong grapefruit/citrus flavor. Incredibly bitter.

M: Thin and slippery. Has a strong bite that does not make it easy to drink.

O: I won't be trying this one again.

2.49/5  rDev -35.8%

A two finger off white head with decent retention sits atop a clear, goldern amber hued ale. Thin and clingy lacings present in this mildly carbonated brew.

Bready malts, diacetyl, floral hops and a hint of citrus. Hops are underwhelming and the diacetyl overwhelming and just doesnt belong.

Diacetyl almost smothers the bready malts which have a slight caramel sweetness. Hops are almost more earthy and woody, although there is some resinous flavours of whit grapefruit and pine.

A medium bodied brew, too balanced for an IPA in my opinion, and the strong diacetyl presence seriously detracts from this ale. Slightly creamy mouthfeel offsets the quite mild resinous character.

Best thing about this beer was its looks. On the plus side the alcohol was very well hidden. On the minus side diacetyl and not enough hops. If you enjoy diacetyl and brews that arent hopped over the top it may be worth trying, if not i strongly suggest avoiding this ale until its reconfigured.

2.54/5  rDev -34.5%

thanks to my stepdad norm for picking this one up for me...grabbed a six pack, knowing nothing about this brewery or brew...

that said i wish he would've known something about this one...this beer pours a beautiful yellowish orange with a thick cotton head...however it is incredibly cloudy and seems to have a significant amout of sediment...which actually settled to the bottom of my glass...

smells are of strong alcohol, a tad bit of citrus, and a little sweetness...but damn, this beer is not good...the alcohol dominates and warms the palate...really bad job with this version of DIPA...you get a little sweetness, but again the alcohol takes it away...

the warming sensation is nice, but that's about it...i wouldn't waste my time with this, plenty of great DIPA's to enjoy

(for my own notes, opened this one on a cool sunday night watching the golden globe awards)

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

This IPA poured light and frothy- clear light orange in color. Aromas were earthy malts and floral, grassy hops. Malts are big on the first sip until the hops come through- the malt flavor is there in body and thickness, but there is no underlying sweetness or unique character- very flat tasting for a double IPA. The hops were grassy and watered down- their bitterness was unrefined and flat like the malts. Light mouthfeel with abundant cabonation- the only interesting thing about this brew is the well hidden ABV.

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

A: Amber with one finger of foamy white head.

S: Aroma is of sprucy hops with a bit of caramel/molasses sweetness.

T: Aforementioned hops do come through in the taste, but unfortunately they are mostly overwhelmed by a cloying sweetness that makes them very hard to enjoy.

M: Smooth but a bit sticky due to the sweetness.

D: I ended up drinking this one fast just to finish it, but I can't say I particularly enjoyed it.

Had no idea this was a double IPA until I looked it up online (I know, I know, it's on the label). A bit disappointed in the lack of hops I expected to find, and the sweetness I was met with instead.

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

No head, few slow bubbles, almost no lacing as I drink it.

Bittering hops with no complexity, flimsy malt backbone.

Mouth feel is thin and watery.

Yes it's drinkable, in the same way water is drinkable.

This beer is does not meet my expectation for a Double/Imperial IPA, or as a "small batch", big beer. I am very underwhelmed.

I've had better examples of this style for the same price or less.

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%

I had this @ the Breckenridge on Blake st.

Appearance - a nice Amber color
Smell - a sweet hoppy smell
Taste - it was hoppy & a bit bitter but the sweetness was too much for me.
Mouthfeel - Light
Drinkability - I love IPAs but found it too sweet to drink too many

2.71/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured this into my Moose Drool pint glass. Poured a hazy wet straw color with a thin white tiny bubbled head. After a bit of time, the haziness partially subsides, leaving a murky copper appearance. The clarity that is often present in this style is not there. At first I thought that I might have gotten an infected batch, but upon looking at some other reviews, it appears that some others have experienced the same. No lacing left behind.

The aroma is primarily grapefruit and orange with some floral notes blended in there. I don't smell the alcohol at all. The beer smells very good, but it is quite mild considering the style

I'm disappointed with the taste - I get a biting cardboard taste that quickly turns to poorly balanced bitter citrus. The floral hops are there, but dominated by the off kilter bitterness. The alcohol is fairly well hidden, although I'm really not sure that isn't just because of the overpowering bitter. I'm still not convinced that there is not something wrong with this brew...something isn't quite right. However, the carbonation is good and the beer is thick and full-bodied...maybe even a bit too much for an IPA, but not bad.

I struggled to finish this one. If I come across another one of these and find that perhaps I had a bad bottle, I will certainly edit my review. I'm fond of several of the Breckenridge beers and am chalking this one up as a mistake...something doesn't seem right.

Consumed on 1/20/2010

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer pours a bright copper/orange color with a thin, white head that quickly recedes. Lots of lace on the glass. The aroma is earthy and somewhat citrusy, dominated by the smell of the sweet, caramel and munich malt. The flavor is earthy, sweet, caramel-y... The hop bitterness is ever-present though not as prevalent as I would have liked in a double IPA, especially with the use of Chinook, Centennial and Simcoe hops. Speaking of which, with all of those great hops, where are the flavor hops? Those poor Simcoes are being wasted! :) The mouthfeel is slick and heavy, no surprise here. Drinkability? If you can finish one without a bit of a buzz, you're either an alcoholic or a bit tubby. One is enough for me. Overall, I'm a but underimpressed with this offering. I like Breckenridge, but this "small batch" might be worth passing up.

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness dating. Served in a snifter.

Pours a deep, dark, orange tinted, medium copper color with a small white head and marginal carbonation. Appears plenty dense with an above average clarity. The head is mostly diminishing and leaves spotty lace. Smell is citrus hops, sweet malts, and a slightly burning alcohol. The flavor is much like the smell in that it starts with a heavy sweet maltiness, followed immediately by a sharp grapefruit rind bitterness, and finishes with a noticeable phenolic alcohol. The citric aftertaste lingers. Mouthfeel is full bodied with a syrupy texture and lively carbonation. Finish is chalky with a heavy alcoholic feel.

Overall, I feel this beer is lacking the balance of ingredients that the top notch examples of the style achieve. Although the style is designed to feature the hops and higher alcohol content, in my opinion, this beer doesn't do enough to mask the harshness of that higher alcohol. That being said, I am happy to see this or any brewery attempt this style, and I am glad that I gave it a try. But considering the alternatives, I doubt that I will buy this one again.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Served into my pint glass from a 12fl oz bottle

Pours a medium to dark copper like color with a three inch slightly off white head. Good head retention that resides on average but leaves a slight layer of foam on top of the beer. Lacing is scattered all throughout the glass.

Smell is of mostly piney hops. Some zesty orange peels, very earthy and grass like. Minimal malt characteristics are smelled.

Very mild malt upfront that leads to a very bitter hop bite. As the hop bitterness resides a slight isopropyl alcohol flavor and medicinal flavor shows up then calms into a slightly malt backbone that is barely noticeable.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation and bitter taste.

I would not pick this one up again, maybe I got a bad bottle or something.

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a mildly hazy copper color. The head is a 2 finger offwhite shade. There's some respectable texturing and retention to be found in the latter.

S: The hops here are very earthy and floral in their tone, and also features a minty touch reminiscent of 90 Minute. All in all, though, the hop profile here doesn't particularly strike my fancy, nor does the malt backbone.

T: It's a bit maltier than I expected. I'm not sure if it's the age or whatnot - I just know the hop profile here isn't that powerful. At first, a touch of floral hops open things up, and before the boozy, sweet finish hits, I notice an enjoyable - but sadly vague and mild - midtaste of tropical fruits. Some floral hop qualities also return on the back end, which rubs me the wrong way combined with the mild booziness and strange umami tones.

M: I think this one is too heavy and sweet in texture. It's not *sweet* per se (in terms of flavor), just lacking the necessary dryness to cleanse and refresh the palate. That, and it brings out the crap aftertaste more strongly.

O: Not a great DIPA, and I don't think this one has the excuse of being an old bottle, either. Certainly nothing to drainpour, but there are too many great DIPAs out there to seek this one out again.

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

Enjoyed from the bottle into a small plastic glass during a recent tasting of double IPAs.

Pours a dull, coppery orange, slightly cloudy, with a half-finger head of off-white. It quickly recedes to a very filmy top layer and ring, leaving a tiny bit of spotty lace.

The nose exhibits Earthy hoppiness, honey, apricots, grass and cheerios. Very English IPA-like.

Again with the earthiness. The flavor is filled with Orange peel, roses and some woody character. A bitter bite strikes at finish, long after swallow like a quick smack to the face. The finish is dry finish but has no snap!

Medium-light prickly carbonation amidst a smooth medium-light body. The alcohol isn't too noticeable; maybe a bit of heat on the tongue. A lazily dry finish muddles the experience.

471 is bitter enough for a DIPA, but it's just not flavorful enough.

2.85/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured a golden-orange hue, with a finger of off-white head; decent lacing. Very pineapple-y in the nose, with some apricot, malt, and alcohol essence. The taste confirmed what I had suspected in the nose; the flavor was so sour pineapple that it was borderline diacetal. Combine that with a thick'ish, modestly carbonated body, and it felt as if I was drinking the the residue at the bottom of a Dole pineapple can. Tough to drink, but given the fact that it did taste like a bottling issue occurred with the batch, I'd give this beer a second chance if I come across it again.

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%

Hazy pale amber color with a three finger, dense off white head and great retention. Spicy pine resin up front and a little buttery malt malt softness in the back. Peppery, piney, and husky flavors. Fairly dry, malt sweetness of honey that clings to the palate. Thin, watery mouthfeel but manages some creaminess with a vigorous swill. Alcohol is noticeable but not overwhelming and the finish sustaining with its dry, resinous, peppery, husk notes. Well...pretty straightforward DIPA, there are plenty of better ones out there.

471 IPA from Breckenridge Brewery