471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

Colorado, United States

Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Breckenridge brewery small batch 471 double hopped ipa

Hazy orange amber color with a full 2+ finger head. Tons of lacing.

Bright citrus aroma, definitely with some sweetness.

Really nice. Definitely a fresh DPA.
Excellent balance with a fresh, floral hop flavor. Also some sticky caramel flavor and candy sweetness. In the middle you detect the abv, but it ends rather smoothly and balanced.

Medium to full bodied and a touch sticky.

I like it, and I'd like to try it on draft or cask. I bet its awesome.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Pale orange in color. Small bubbly off white head. Nice head retention and big bubbly lacing.

S- Pineapple, caramel, grass aromas. Again.. odd.

T- Grapefruit/citrus nose, piney hops middle, toasty caramel malt finish. Fairly sweet and bitter. THe 9.20% ABV is well hidden.

M- Medium bodied. Medium carbonation.

D- Well balanced and unique tastes. Easy drinker here.

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%

Strange beer.

Has a bit of an unfiltered look, with a average head that dissipates quickly.
Smells like a good yeasty/hoppy smell.
Tastes a bit too bitter actually with an almost metallic finish, but DOES remind me of an actual IPA.

I would probably not buy it again, but if i was in the mood for a strong IPA taste I would.

3.42/5  rDev -12.5%

22 oz. bomber poured into a 16 oz pint glass (November 21, 2009).

Eyes: Nice clean color, head dissipates quickly.

Nose: Somewhat tame for a DIPA, certainly nice, but not great. Some pine hops, light citrus, a hint of malt.

Tongue: A nice start, but underwhelming. A good hoppy presence, but not very well balanced with any malt. The bitterness lingers a bit too long for my liking.

Mouth: I like the start, but I can't get past the oily, bitter after-wash.

Libation: I expected good things here, but I was a tad disappointed. A very nice hoppy introductions gives way to simple unbalanced bitterness afterward. Not a bad brew by any means, but not one I'd recommend without caveats.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

App: All golden orange with SOME head and it dissipates.

Smell: Definitely distinguished and unlike most IPA/DIPAs, sweeter not AS hoppy and just smells good.

T/MF: Taste is good, not overly bitter like some DIPAs and the bitterness is not overwhelming either. Mouthfeel is not too full bodied and not really resiny or oily like some others are this one is more crisp.

Drink: Pretty good on this, 9.2% will catch up but for now I am enjoying this pack.

Got a 6 pack for under $7 because the store had too many in stock or something...I'll take it.!

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into pint glass. It looks to have a date of 07/28/10 stamped on the side, though that is a bit smeared.

I picked this one as part of mix-your-six from Hop City in Atlanta, GA. Oh, how I wish I had picked up more of this one.

A - This beer was almost orange. My first thought was that it looked like someone had melted an orange creamsicle into my glass. It did not pour much head, but what little lacing there was lingered and streamed down the glass.

S - It had a sweet smell, and was not at all what I expected. The aroma was not very strong.

T - This beer tasted fantastic. I'd never have believed this to be an IPA if I wasn't reading it on the bottle. It had a great taste unlike any other IPA. It was not sweet as the aroma had suggested, and it had a very nice bitter finish, but not *quite* bitter enough for the style.

M - The brew was not as thick or syrupy as I would prefer for an IPA, but it sure was not thin. This was the most difficult facet to judge with the unique spin on IPA.

D - The only thing that surprised me more than the "outside the box" for IPA style was the 9.2% ABV listing on the bottle. Breckenridge did an fine job with this one if it truly is that strong. The smooth feel and amazing taste make this for an easy drinking brew.

This is an outstanding beer. It may have overtaken Titan as my favorite. I will certainly seek this one out.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Picked up at local beer store, $15.00 for a six pack. Curious what the 417 stands for. Pretty potent DIPA here. A= Poured a darker golden coor with about a fingerwidth of head. S=Pretty good here, not as good as some other IPA like Great Divide-Hercules of Dog Fish Head-90 Minute. T=It was good but not great taste. About an average flavor with potent bitterness without anything to even it out. Little to no sweetness and alcohol tatse is present. M=Decent as far as not to dry buy strong lingering finish. D=Could maybe drink 2 but Im impatient and would have to search for something better. Priced way to high for this flavor.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - clear copper, foam ivory head measures tall and stays for the long haul. Nice lacing too, this one looks FINE.

S - grapefruit/piney hops, some lemon in the mix too. smells resiney and dank. if this tastes like it smells we could be in for a mighty fine DIPA

T - BINGO! hop bomb with citrus/grapefruit and piney hops with a malt profile winning best supporting actress. little bit of alcohol warmth

MF - a little oily but carbonation on the higher side helps this. good sized body on this one.

D - drinks like a dream. definately a sleeper DIPA. what a pleasant surprise from a hometown hero. GO Breckenridge!

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

I was hoping for something great from this one and was let down. Way to dry and bubbly in the mouthfeel department and even though you get hit with a good blast from the hops the beer isn't balanced well. Has an unwelcome off flavor in the background and the taste and feel was more like a regular IPA. Another letdown from Breckenridge which in my opinion is so far in my experience a mediocre craft brewery. This is a decent high abv IPA but lack many characteristics I have come to favor and expect from Imperial IPA's.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My dad brought a six pack of this over to my house and the price tag was twenty-something dollars for six! Is this right? The most I've ever paid is $17.99 for Bell's Hop Slam. I guess the hop shortage is to blame for the cost of these double IPAs. I'm pouring the last bottle into my pint glass. It's got a light copper color with a dense creamy off-white head that has varying sizes of bubbles that won't go away. The smell almost wants to make me sneeze. I feel as if my allergies are going to be activated. It's heavy on the hops (of course), very pine cone-like, and sour citrusy like old grapefruit. I like it. Heavy oily texture with a bitter bite. Tastes like pine tree sap that has been thinned out with grapefruit juice and a regular stregnth IPA. Wow. You really have to like this style to appreciate the complexities of this beer. The foam is stuck to the side of the glass as I sip it down. I have to say that I really like this beer but only one or two of them at a time. The drinkability is not its strongpoint but then again it's not supposed to be. alcohol warmth is felt in my throat as well as the begining of a warm glow everywhere.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Hazy amber color capped with a well formed off white head. Head is sticky and leaves lots of lace on the glass.

S- Thick aroma of grapefruit hops mixed with caramel and malt.

T- Slow build to a grapefruit citrus finish. It has an unusual flavor profile for an IPA, no bitterness right away, just a slow steady build to a bitter citrus bite. Finish is pretty clean for an IPA, a little bit of oil from the hops. Remains on the palate

M- Medium in body and decent carbonation. Could use a little more body but not off putting, lets some heat of alcohol show through.

D- Balanced and with just enough going on that is different from a regular IPA to be interesting so it leaves you wanting another drink. The 9.2% ABV shows though some but is not off putting.

Different take on an IPA, nice job.

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. Big thanks to mnjeff for the nice extra!

Pours cloudy gold with just a bit of orange, with a nice cap of off-white foam. Nice lacing.

Nose is loaded with peaches, mangoes, apricot and tropical fruit, just a bit piney. Underpinned by some nice light caramel malt notes.

Taste starts off with more of those big tropical fruit notes, mangoes and peaches, wrapping up a dense caramel richness, maybe just a bit toasty, with a burst of pungent piney bitterness right near the finish. Finish is moderately bitter, pungent, with a lingering, dense caramel malt note. Really closer to a 4.3, but I rounded up a bit.

Mouthfeel is dry, prickley, a bit syrupy, with a light but sharp carbonation.

Drinkability isn't bad. Alcohol isn't really in the forefront, taste is nice and balanced, though it is a bit syrupy.

1.99/5  rDev -49.1%

Pours a pale, pumpkin hued straw color with a puffy white head. Ropey lacing and little retention with lots of tiny sediment particles.

The smell comes off somewhat stale at first. I get a lot of dingy basement, toasty malts and some numbed pine resin scents. There is a very apparent alcohol and some unrefined citrus notes poke through as well.

Holy booze fest. The taste kicks off with a marginal amount of pine, but that is hard to think about when you swallow and damn near need a chaser. Somewhere in the heavy alcohol flavor, grapefruit struggles to make an appearance. The bitterness is quite low and can't really stand up to the booze. The malts come with a bread like flavor that doesn't really add much to the enjoyment of the brew. The alcohol dies a little as I continue to sip, but I can feel it all the way down the pipe in to my stomach.

Mouthfeel is ok, not syrupy and a tad under carbonated in my opinion.

Overall I am very disappointed. Maybe I drank it too warm, but I'm not too sure I will even finish the bomber. Overpowering alcohol and very little complexity. I hate to bag on a brew, but this was bad.

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%

I bought a six pack the other day when I saw it for $8 which is a bargain considering what I had seen it going for in the past.
Lighter golden color with a sticky one finger head that really hangs around and leaves good lacing. I like that.
Usually, aromas are my favorite parts of DIPAs, but despite the bubbles, this doesn't offer up many smells. The taste comes through with both fruity (orange zest) and citrus notes, and is up there in bitterness.
I thought it was a little watery, not quite enough body for the style, I like a little more medium body. This may have helped the drinkability though, as it went down smooth, and helped disguise the 9% abv.

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

471 Double hopped IPA... Dipa. 9.2% alcohol.

A- Pours a glowing orange fluid (especially in sunlight) with a small half inch head that falls to barely there froth on top leaving nice spider web lacing.

S- I smell a heavy boozey essence upfront with mild grapefruit and citrus hints. Light malty scents as well.

T-M- Taste is very straight forward... alcohol esters, rich malts and slightly hopped up. I'm not going to lie had to sit back and figure out what i was tasting. In one sentence a alcohol sweet malty beverage with decent hop presence. Mouthfeel is rough and unbalanced with little to no carbonation to get the heavy alcohol flavor over the buds. Thick malty backbone.

D- I could drink this beer at the right price.
I cant remember what it was but well worth it for what it is. Strong and ok flavor.

Note: Drink at 55-60F for the best flavor.

A - This beer poured a bright orange color that produced a fluffy white head that had good retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aromas produced by this beer had a mix of grapefruit, orange, and pineapple, with a slight undertone of pine

T - The taste of this beer has the caramel malts playing more of a role, and less of the hops infusion, but the orange, grapefruit, and pineapple flavors were there, the pine was not

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a resiny, medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - The drinkability of this beer is suspect, as a DIPA I think it falls short, but as an IPA or even an APA it would do better, but still not among the greats

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed a 12 oz serving on 9-23-09 at the Grand Junction AleHouse for $3.50.

Beer poured orange with a nice white head. Nose is all about those fresh wonderful floral hops. Taste is a wonderful, nice malt backbone finishing with a blend of piney and citrusy hops. Mouthfeel is full bodied, well balanced, and pretty clean in the finish. Overall drinkability is very good. This is a very smooth well balanced beer with a well hidden abv. Definitely try if you are into imperial ipa's.

3.31/5  rDev -15.3%

On tap at Breckenridge Brew Pub in downtown Denver.

A: Pours a hazy orange copper. Soapy white head that leaves gobs of lace throughout down the sides of the glass.

S: Light hop aroma, some citrus and pine. More prominent is a sweet malt hue. Smells good, but this is not a DIPA aroma.

T: Definitely not the hop barrage as advertised. This is more of a hoppy APA than a DIPA. As in the nose, their is a lightish citrus hop profile, backed up by a big sweet malt wave, which finishes with what can be best describes as a hop kiss goodbye. Well balanced, but lacks a satisfying bitter finish.

M: Some hop slickness, but fairly light in body overall.

D: Easy drinking, abv is very well masked.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a pint glass.pours a semi hazy light copper. a small amount of white head that disappears very quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

smell is very subtle and subdued. gotta try very hard to get the piney hops and crystal malts.

taste is a nice blend of piney hops and sweetness with a bit of alchohol in the initial taste and the after taste.

not much to the mouthfeel. which i like. slight hop oilyness but nothing much else. i consider this beer very drinkable due to its well masked abv and easy availability.

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%

Let me begin by saying I am not a fan of the regular line-up of Breckenridge beers. They seem simple, safe and pretty unremarkable. 471 changes my mind however. A nice, rich honey color sitting lazily in the glass. Good lacing; it says I was here and left my mark proudly. The aroma is remarkably subduded for a heavy-hitting DIPA. Smells like hops, but not pungent hops. It is sort of a distant, echoed growl that warns you of the dangers should you enter this dragon's lair. Mmmm. I like the wyrm. Rich, full sweeter malt flavors with rigid hop backing. I would call it 'malt-centric' without caring if that is a real word or not. Reminds me of Stoudts DIPA in a good way. Drinkability is delightful for a nearly 10% abv. Drinking this without knowing yourself could result in awkward apologizes in the morning. That said, nice job Breckenridge.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

From notes 9/5/09, Lexington, VA. Poured into a Pinot Noir glass:

A - Vigorous pour yields a beautiful, rocky head and serious lace. Off gold color with some blood orange mixed in.

S - Hops! Pine & grapefruit w/ a bit of Maple sugar.

T - Delicious ale! The hops are there for sure but don't pound you silly. No real heat on the finish, either, especially given its ABV.

M - Very nice soft fizz.

D - In spades, but the high ABV detracts.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Thin head, medium copper color and very hazy.

Nice balance of piny hops and hearty, bready malt. No hint of the huge ABV.

Very big but smooth hop flavor throughout. Bittering at the end is right where it should be. Slight astringency but still no sign of the alcohol.

Coating feel with just enough carbonation to not make it feel sticky.

A very good (and dangerous) beer. Although I'd call this an Imperial IPA!

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%

Appears a clouded golden orange body with minimal chunks of lacing in the bottom of the tulip glass I poured into. Bright off white head forms thick above the body with fine coated lacing that looks like a fogged window.

Earthy mix of herbal mint and citrus hop blends going on, a bit of pine comes through in the nose as well. Bready yeast edges come through with sugar coated grapefruit peels. Very cookie dough finish, barleywine sensations are coming over my schnauze.

Flavor has a rolling mix of citrus and spruce tip pine like notes, or a sugary blast of malts blending through. Much like a lighter shade of a barleywine, expressive hops but bitterness is muted quite a bit here. The rolling sugar coated grapefruit effects dominates in the finish without much hop bitterness, this is weird.

Mouthfeel an airy carbonation light to medium body with residual yeast and hop bitterness lying on the palate, it's hard to hate or communicate what you disagree with the this mouthfeel but overall I can't really say I'm enjoying this DIPA.

I love the style but the drinkability overall for this style is off the mark not one that I will aggressively pursue but worth a shot especially compared to other offerings from Breckenridge.

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle, looks like a cloudy amber orange color. Kind of like an orange life saver candy dissolved in some apple juice. There is a fine white head that dissipates rapidly leaving some nice webbing on the glass.

Smells of hops, citrus fruits, some pine and sweet malts.

The first taste is poor. It has a little wet cardboard taste but it fades fast and is replaced by some stale but nice citrus hops. There is something not quite right with this ipa, but it recovers and becomes somewhat pleasing. The after taste is somewhat dry and a little warm but still nice.

An above average ipa but not in the big leagues yet.

Edit 08-23-2009. Just had another bottle and it was quite fantastic. It appears to be a slightly inconsistent brew. My wife was drinking a bottle right next to me, hers was clear and mine was cloudy. This time around the beer was very good in the flavor department. Nicely hoppy, sweet malty and bittered. Much better this time around.

Pours a clear amber with a one finger head that quickly reduces to a collar. The taste, to me, is less hoppy and more malty. The aroma was sweet, with some alcohol entering the picture as it warmed. The taste was more sweet than bitter, in fact, no bitterness on the tongue, only a bit of bitter aftertaste at the back of the throat. A late note on taste: The sweet was a vanilla sweet, to me. Really not like an imperial IPA at all (not complaining). Feel was medium bodied with very little carbonation. Drinkability was good for a 9.2 ABV.

471 IPA from Breckenridge Brewery