471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%

Wow this is what you expect when you order up a Dipa!! I'm surprised most of the other reviews said this was so drinkable. Don't get me wrong I loved it but this is one you sip not flip. I guess some would say it's an over the top hop bomb, but isn't that what you want when you order up a double. I reccomend highly you find on tap and belly up for one hell of a ride.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Orange amber with a fine creamy sand colored head that leaves sheets of sticky lace on the glass. The nose is pine sap, toasted grain slathered in caramel and citrusy grapefruit rind. The flavors mirror the nose with an onslaught of fresh juicy hops and caramel malt. The 9.2% ABV is well hidden. The mouthfeel is full bodied and creamy. This stuff rules, too bad it is so expensive these days(around $18.99 a sixer in Indy) I can't afford to drink it on a regular basis like I used to.

4.11/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours clear, amber/orange in color. Copious amount of head, over 1".

Not a lot of smell coming off of this one. It smells sweet, with pine and citrus coming through.

Quite sweet, at first, then piney bitterness comes through. The taste doesn't go away. It stays on the palate for a very long time. Great balance.

Light carbonation, not syrupy like some sweeter DIPA's tend to be. The mouthfeel is much thiner than I would expect from the taste. The warming of the alcohol is present.

I really enjoy this beer. It has a great hop sweetness balance. I don't mind the alcohol feel so much, the sweetness is not overdone to cover it up.

3.17/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Pours a hazy copper/orange color. A small bubbly white head forms and recedes in an instant. No lace is left behind.
S: Citrus and piny hops. An oily resin aroma. A light malty sweetness lingers on. Some alcohol.
T: Oily and soapy hops. A large bitterness of citrus and grapefruit hops. There is a malty sweetness that is nondescript and cloying.
M/D: A medium body that is low on carbonation. Very sticky and syrupy. The bitterness and alcohol keeps this from being a good sipping beer. It took me a while to finish this.

One of those bland overly bitter DIPA's. Nothing offensive if you like the style, but nothing I would recommend. There are much better examples of the style. That is coming from someone that is not a big fan of DIPA's.

3.99/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from bottle to a pint glass via an aggressive pour.
A: A bright copper color with an inch of head is poured initially, which fades to virtually no head. Though the head has all but dissipated it leaves a medium cling along the glass. You can clearly see this DIPA is unfiltered, and this contributes to a better looking beer.
S: I can smell a note of citrus (orange I believe) and a big whiff of alcohol. Not an incredibly abundant hop profile in the nose.
T: A lot of sweet fruit flavors on the tongue, off the bat I'm getting a bitter grapefruit flavor that dominates. A light hop bitterness in the background hides 95% of the alcohol in this brew.
M: Mouthfeel is medium, which to style impresses the heck out of me. Again, I feel that because this brew is unfiltered this lends an extra depth of viscosity to this beer.
D: This has to be one of the most drinkable DIPA's I have ever experienced.
If you have not sampled this beer, grab a six pack and share with your fellow BA's. A great brew to style, well worth a try (or 6).

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%

Got this in a bullet keg for home. Appearance was a little darker than I expected; more of a dark copper than your typically hazy orange DIPA. Lots of hops in the nose. Smell loads of pine, citrus, and floral hops. Taste is really smooth for a DIPA, very well balanced malt and hops. With almost no alcohol burn, this is a dangerous DIPA. Extremely drinkable, this one is an exceptional DIPA on draft.

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%

A=poured a very copper color with a slight amount of white head that dissipated quickly

S=not hugely aromatic, but the slight aroma is very citrusy and floral in nature

T=not huge flavor, I have noticed this about some of the Breckenridge beers, that they can tend to be very subtle in flavor and aroma. Hoppy citrus and pine notes are there just not quite as "punch you in the face" as some other beers.

M=nice light carbonation, like other attributes of the beer somewhat subtle.

D=alcohol is not overly evident, though the ABV is limiting drinkability or sessionability. However I do find this beer to be enjoyable in its quietness.

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Lightish orange copper in color. Thick two-finger head.

S: Piney, citrusy hops. Heady, aromatic, enticing hop heaven.

T: An amazing hop and malt aftertaste. Piney and delicious. Taste lingers and lingers.

M: Slightly carbonated and thick on the front of the tongue. Warming, sticky feeling coats the middle and back of the tongue before drying out and lingering.

D: Hop heads will love this. A big and powerful brew which limits your intake, but in moderation is a delectable hop treat. Love that this comes in a 6-pack and is only slightly higher in price than a normal 6-pack. A lot bang for your buck.

Served: in an imperial pint glass.

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Transparent copper body...a big, fluffy off white head...settled into a cap and retained with all the carbonation...good lacing

S - Your basic hops (pine and citrus) mixed with sweet malts

T - There is just a battle going on here...the first sip you are met with sugary sweet malts...not bad...the hops come in next and provide a stiff bitterness...but then...it went downhill...a strong alcohol flavor came through and mixed with the hop bitterness...the malts tried saving it...but fell short

M - Medium bodied...too much alcohol...but nice carbonation

D - I'm giving this an okay drinkability only because I feel the malts came in as the beer warmed up...the beer is a little better when it's warm...but the 9.2% ABV shines through

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear honey amber color with a frothy & bubbly 2 finger deep white colored head.

Not much to the aroma here, some soft floral & citric hop notes, herbal & spicy, alcohol.

Taste is better than the aroma, citrus, pine, juicy mango, grapefruit, faint sweet maltiness hold it together. Somewhat boozy as well.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, sticky, thick, bordering on syrupy.

Decent example of the style. Although there are better options out there IMO.

2.9/5  rDev -25.8%

22oz poured into a tasting cup

Pours a nice pale orange color, as I would hope a pale ale would pour.

The aroma is the best thing this beer has going for it. A lot of citrus, mainly grapfruit(my favorite hop characteristic).

Where it lost me is on the palate. It starts out nice but when it hits the back of the tongue a definite alcohol sharpness and unforgiving bitterness that hinders drinkability quite a bit.

Overall, good hop character but a bomber is way too much. I'm not sure if I would even want tweleve ounces of this. I think I have a headache.

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

22oz bottle poured into a 22oz stein

Pours a straw yellow but very cloudy -- looks thick and syrupy as it pours. Yields a finger or two of head and nice strong lacing . Medium carbonation is evident. Smells piney, citrusy, and fresh.

Taste is sweet and fruity with a hefty hops body. Deep piney bitterness and a little of grapefruit bitterness balances out the fruity sweetness.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for as thick and heavy as this beer is. Carbonation is perfect. Very drinkable. Maybe dangerously.

2.76/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Served into my pint glass from a 12fl oz bottle

Pours a medium to dark copper like color with a three inch slightly off white head. Good head retention that resides on average but leaves a slight layer of foam on top of the beer. Lacing is scattered all throughout the glass.

Smell is of mostly piney hops. Some zesty orange peels, very earthy and grass like. Minimal malt characteristics are smelled.

Very mild malt upfront that leads to a very bitter hop bite. As the hop bitterness resides a slight isopropyl alcohol flavor and medicinal flavor shows up then calms into a slightly malt backbone that is barely noticeable.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation and bitter taste.

I would not pick this one up again, maybe I got a bad bottle or something.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Thin head with a hazy cider color. Very lazy
carbonation.

S: Sweet and hoppy with the undertones of the
alcohol.

T: Sweet and piney hops that really hit the
back of my tongue hard. The malt is able
to come survive the hoppiness of this
relatively tame imperial IPA.

M/D: This is a well balanced brew that I do
enjoy drinking though its name is not
precisely representative of the product.
I prefer a hoppier imperial and a little
more crispness.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden/amber color with a fairly small head. Solid retention though and leaves nice sticky lacing down the glass.

S - Very hop-forward aroma with citrus and floral tones.

T - Fairly bitter, very hoppy flavor. Floral hop flavors dominate with some citrus in the mix as well. Balanced with a decent amount of sweet, caramel maltiness. Slight hint of alcohol present in the flavor as well, but really pretty mild for 9.2% abv.

M - Medium bodied with a nice level of carbonation. Quite resinous on the palate and a nice bitter bite.

D - the high ABV on this one limits the drinkability a bit. But considering it's almost 10%, a very nice, well balanced beer with some nice flavors going on.

3.57/5  rDev -8.7%

Somewhat cloudy dark orange color. Lots of lacing and decent head retention. The aroma is loaded with citrus hops and orange peel. On first taste I am very surprised, not the overbearing hop bomb I expected. There is alot of bitterness upfront but this is surprisingly well balanced. Lots of sweet malt in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little bit thick and the taste is a little boozy. High ABV makes this one to keep an eye on.

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

I am a hophead and this is one of my favorites... Went to the length of actually getting a 1/6 barrel for my home kegerator. Hard to make it a session beer due to the strength but you cant knock me for trying. I also have a lot of luck with this beer for pushing on friends who are still constant with the American lagers. Not saying it is the best crossover beer, but for those who are new to hops, it is intense, but so rich and creamy they cant help but like. Also the after taste is not as harsh as other IPA's. Would put this up to any Imperial.

A- I believe to be one of the most beautiful looking beers, a copper orange color that naturally pours with the look of a Nitrogen infused beer, yet only produces about a 1.5 finger head.

S-Definitley a hop smell, but not as intense as a Hopslam or 90 min. Pick up a clean citrus as well.

T- Bold yet smooth. never an over the top aftertase like many other IPA'a. It is also very rich in flavor, decadent almost.

What a wonderful beer put out by the boys in breckenridge.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Had this at the Brickskeller in DC

A- good looking beer, pours amber with a nice creamy head
S- loads of hops which is to be expected from a DIPA, nice floral characteristics, with a hint of citrius
T- Fantastic hoppy taste, not overly bitter at all, smooth and balanced for a DIPA
M- creamy and smooth
D- I would be hard pressed to guess this beer was 9.2% Very easy to get yourself into trouble quickly with this one.

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had the "471 Double IPA," so like some others here I'm assuming I'm rating the correct brew...it's a bit confusing with the site-listed nomenclature.
This is from a tasting note I found from back in December '08 at the Mellow Mushroom, Boone, NC. They listed the ABV at 8.3%, not 9.2%.

Appearance: Golden-bronze. It glistens just as an IPA should, and is graced with a thin lacing about the cusp.

Aroma: One cannot adequately swirl in a full pint tumbler. And my nose is currently in bad form. That being said, I get a light and fruity note: pear, apple cider, pine needles. A seemingly weak presence on the nose, but the jalapenos from my pizza have killed any subtlety I might otherwise pick up.

Taste: EXCELLENT. Pine resin, smooth malt, apple, apricot, fresh hops. This brew is dry-hopped to an excellent balance.

Palate: Spritzy and smooth. There is NO WAY this beer has such a high ABV, as smooth as it is.

Overall: This is PERFECT with my spicy jalapeno-pesto-mushroom (MM's "Magical Mystery Tour") pizza. A definite keeper.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Thsi beer seems to be listed twice with slightly different names. I'm not sure which of the two I had if in fact thet two beers are not the same beer.

I didn't expect much as I'm not really an IPA guy and on previous nights, the Houston Flying Saucer has featured Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. That should tell you something.

The smell and taste of this Imperial IPA surprised me. I could smell all the flowery, piney hoppiness I expected as well as some malty goodness underneath. The malt scent was catching me off guard, but I made no assumptions on the taste.

The tast of this beer, the maltiness actually being there under the bitter and floral hops, was excellent. The depth of this beer was surprising. I like where they went with it and would recommend as much to other brewers.

In the mouth, it was almost chewy. I don't know if it was what I perceived because of the maltiness or what, but it was good.

I could have had a few of these. Seeing that it's a 9.2% ABV beer, I'm glad I didn't. no one that sessions this beer will remember it.

Note: I had this beer as it was the Pint Night beer at the Flying Saucer in Houston. I didn't take notes, so this will be a rather brief review. Ordinarily I wouldn't do a review off of memory but as this was rather unique in my experience, I wanted to post about it.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

A- A light colored amber with a finger head that sticks around for quite some time leading to some lace.

S- Very Bitter hops and some sweet malt coming through in the nose. Pine as well present

T- This comes through very strong on the bitter side. Several months ago I would have hated this beer. It is still a bit strong for my taste.

M- Carbonation is medium and the beer is quite creamy. It goes down easy.

D- It' a good IPA and the 9% allows for some drinkability factor here. I could have gone for another after having this one.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Pretty clear with an orange body with a tint of gold. Head is average for a DIPA and leaves some decent lacing.

S- Bitter hops and sugar sweet malt smells. Nothing intricate, but it is quite potent smelling.

T- Straight-forward citrus acidic bitter DIPA. There is a noticeable addition of some sweetened malts that taste a bit like honey but really all you're going to feel is the bitter sting of alpha acid.

M- All that stingy acid covers up the alcohol just fine. Pretty standard body and carbonation. Body is thin for a 9%ABV.

D- Goes pretty quick when I'm in the mood for a refreshing IPA with a bit of a kick to get the evening started.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this one was pointed out to me by the good beer store in oberlin, ohio. it poured nicely into the glass with about one inch of head. good carbonation. good hoppy aroma. not as strong on the hop smell as expected. (i am a hop head) good flava with decent lacing down the glass.

a very good dipa but not the best. worth a try.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Orange in color with a slight yellow tint. About a finger's worth of sticky off white head. Respectable amount of lacing.

S: Decently hopped up nose. Some floral and grapefruit citrus, but nothing overwhelming.

T: Starts with a mild sweet maltiness moving into a biting grapefruit bitterness. Flavor is actually quite tame. Simple, really. While this beer is not over the top bitter, the bitterness isn't well balanced with other hop or malt flavors.

M: Medium body. Medium Carbonation. Quite bitter finish, especially on the tongue.

D: I'm surprised this a DIPA. Just seems to be lacking too much in both flavor and density to be considered a DIPA. But, with that said, the alcohol is well hidden and the lighter body and simple flavor does lend this beer to being quite drinkable. While I am not impressed with this beer in relation to the DIPA style, I am very impressed with it's drinkability.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Good amount of head after being poured out of the bottle. The beer had an intense orange color to the appearance.

S - Citrus aroma with some malts mixed in.

T - Holy Cow! At first sip, one can't really taste the flavor. However, the taste exploded once it hit the back. The citrus translated well in the taste. Also detected some deep malts in the beer mixed in with some actual alcohol.

M - Very smooth. Reminded me of a good scotch.

D - Great beer to enjoy. Would not turn this one down at a pub or bar.

471 IPA from Breckenridge Brewery