471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

471 IPA471 IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Dizzy

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a clear amber color with a creamy off white head, which it retains quite well. Aroma is citrusy (grapefruit) hop aroma. Taste is citrusy hop flavor, malty sweetness, and lots of bitterness. Medium to full bodied, average carbonation. I'm surprised the alcohol doesn't stand out more with this high of an ABV. This is a solid IPA, its not the best but its pretty good.

10-03-2006 01:38:35 | More by Dizzy
BigRedN

Nebraska

Had on trip to Ft Worth. From notes.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass (two pours) from a 22 oz bomber. The beer is dark gold in color, slightly hazy, with a nice 1/2 inch head. Head lingerd, leaves some good lacing.

Smell: Mostly hops, no...it's all hops. Citrousy, piney aromas, kinda like a house cleaner.

Taste: Thankfully, not like house cleaner. It is one dimensional towards hops, which I expect for the style. I like my IPA (or double IPA, see below) to be nice and hoppy, which this is.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full in body. Good carbonation keeps this lively.

Drinkability: A good beer, inexpensive and easy drinking. The alcohol is well hid. The only comment/complaint I had is I thought I was buying a double IPA, as the bottle seems to indicate by the labeling, but here it is listed as an IPA. My scores therefore, are for an IPA. As a double IPA this would not rate quite as high for me.

09-29-2006 04:49:18 | More by BigRedN
Mdog

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Hazy gold, decent head retention.

Smell: Somewhat weak citrus smell.

Taste: Starts with some sweet breadiness, then stays sweet while picking up some orange and grapefruit flavors from the hops.

Mouthfeel: If this was classified a DIPA it would be a little thin, but as an IPA it is very good.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this again, only $3.99 a 22oz for a good hop infusion.

This beer was better than I expected, especially since the reviews are so mixed. It might be that it is much better than the mediocre semi-homebrew beers I've been drinking lately. I think I'd still recommend it even without that caveat.

09-24-2006 21:02:47 | More by Mdog
maybrick

2.95/5  rDev -24.6%

I had this brew recently in Houston, TX on draught. It was offered as a Double IPA and I was looking forward to a nice treat. I was somewhat disappointed. The color and carbonation when delivered was accepatable. There was barley any nose detectable. The glass felt a little too cold so I decided to allow it to warm for around 7 to 8 minutes as I recall. After giving it a gentle swirl, there was not too much going on with the nose. This was my first bad feeling. After taking a pull, and genlty rolling it back and forth in my mouth, my impression was a lot of citrusy hop and just slightly out of balance with respect to the malt.

A very detectable alcohol burn was noted upon the swallow. Apparently this is around a 9% ABV brew. I then compared it with a bottle of Hopevil pulled from the refrigerator case. Hopdevil is what I mostly measure other IPA's against. (It's because it's so available in southeastern, pa and that's where I live) I founf the bottled Hopdevil to be a superior IPA to this one.

09-24-2006 17:53:54 | More by maybrick
sloejams

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

sampler, then pint at Breckenridge BBQ & Brew Pub, Denver

Boom! Hops all up in my face. This was no regularly IPA, this was definitely a double, despite how it was explained by our waitress. I liiiike. The hop character is very citrus - TONS of grapefruit and some pine. It's thick with a slight carameliness that makes it remarkably creamy. The bite is very bitter. This is not a beer to mix with food, but I didn't mind it's palate crushing.

Of note: I purchased a 6 pack of this to bring back West with me - the draft version was much better and far less grapefruity.

09-13-2006 21:14:55 | More by sloejams
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange color with a two and a half inch off-white head. Lovely. Lots of thick lacing coats my glass. A thin blanket of the head remains all the way through the glass.

Aroma is hoppy. Citrus and grass come out on top but the scent could be more dominant.

The taste starts with some sweetness...honey and caramel...followed by the citrus and grass flavors of the hops. A touch of floral towards the end. You can taste the ABV upon swallowing but it isn't overwhelming by any means.

Creamy mouthfeel. A bit on the thin side though. Some bitterness remains, but hardly any dryness. Smooth and creamy. I would pick this up more often if it was available in my area...nice brew.

09-08-2006 17:11:53 | More by Imstillthegman
malcontent

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Following a hazy, deep orange pour, the notes of citrus & pine mingle with faint spice scents emanating from the generous & long lasting head.

Wow! A strange lack of taste on the initial sip is followed by an immense rush of the hoppy, citrus I expect from IPAs. Not nearly the hoppiest IPA I've had (not even in that category), although it is still agreeably drinkable. In fact, its mid-range hops content makes for an ideal session brew.

Overall, this isn't an unforgettable beer but if given the chance to purchase it again I'd certainly have to consider. A very enjoyable ale.

NOTE: I have now followed the initial tasting with some rather spicy Indian food & must say that the pairing is ideal.

09-04-2006 07:45:55 | More by malcontent
dickroop

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

I picked up a bomber of this at Park Lane Liquor, Lancaster CA. A great store with *amazing* selection. So many brews to choose from, how was I to know what to get?

This ale poured a golden color with red-brown highlights. It produced a healthy head and a decent nose, citrusy with grapefruit and more.

The flavor was most rewarding, I could have stayed with this a long time. It was grapefruit with something extra, excellent hoppiness, and very nice zing to it. Wow! It's not just the alcohol that supercharges the flavor here, this is a finely tuned product.

Mouthfeel was light to medium, a little stickiness from the malts that supported the hop bouquet very nicely. It's a crisp but substantial brew that satisfies. I really love the high-octane, citrusy IPAs that come out of Colorado. I will buy again the next chance I get, and savor this stuff. Don't pass up a chance to sample this fine ale.

08-27-2006 01:19:16 | More by dickroop
Pegasus

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Hazy dark color, with a small, persistent white head, fine scattered patchy lacing. The head is very thin, but retains well.

Aroma: Hops are quite mild, but pronounced, with a pleasant botanical character, and abundant sweet malt notes.

Taste: Rich sweet malt notes, followed by a solid hop presence. Mild pine tar hops dominate throughout, but are fairly subdued in character. Sweet malt notes carry throughout the taste. The high alcohol content is extremely well concealed. The hop notes linger on well past the end of the taste, with a slight medicinal character.

Mouth feel: Smooth, very soft and full, quite excellent.

Drinkability/notes: A very well made American IPA, which does not succumb to the extreme, as do a fair number of examples of the style.

08-27-2006 00:59:04 | More by Pegasus
kohoutek

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

Golden orange pour, thin white head, minimal lace, large weak bubbles, clear as a bell (overly filtered IMO).

The smell is very nice. Wonderful herbal hoppiness pours from the glass. Citrus, apricots, lemon, Riesling grapes, fresh apples, honey, vanilla . . .

The flavor could be very nice, but the overly bitter aspects and the boozy solvent qualities get in the way. I taste citrus, peaches, honeyed malt. The bitter/booze just overpowers.

The mouthfeel is too thin and edgy. Too much spritz. It is filtered so there is no bread. Bitter booze.

Too big and bitter to be sustainably refreshing, even for the style:)

08-23-2006 03:20:19 | More by kohoutek
hckyfn9999

Missouri

Nice orange colored brew with a creamy white colored head that lingers for ever. Smell is a bit floral and of citrus. Initial taste is a malty sweetness followed by bitterness from the hops and a hint of grapefruit. Nice mouthfeel and pretty refreshing on a warm summer day. Pretty solid brew and a good value.

08-20-2006 04:11:09 | More by hckyfn9999
ampzilla

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

I really appreciated the look of this beer. It was a great shade orange that gave way to gold at the edges. It reminded me of autumn in New England. A large fluffy head eventually gave way to a thin creamy layer that hung around till the glass was empty. Even its painted label (orange and white) was quite pleasing.

The aroma did not blow me away. It was a bit understated for me. But what I did find was a nice blend of citrus and grassy hops.

The first sip was, no surprise, quite creamy. Though there was not nearly as much carbonation as I expected, and it was a little on the thin side. There were some hops coating the tongue, and when held on the palate there was a slight tingle.

All that aside, this beer tastes really good. Each sip began with a hint of honey-like sweetness. This was quickly followed by floral then grapefruit hops.

As this was probably my one and only bomber of this ever, I wsould have to speculate on its drinkability...but I'd guess that to be rather high. I would surely have this again, if possible. Though I don’t think it will haunt me (you know who you are…).

08-10-2006 02:11:35 | More by ampzilla
WeisGuy

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

a - great looking IPA, burnt orange color, big off-white head with some magnificient lacing, good head retention

s - piney hoppiness with a more pronounced sweet maltiness than I'm used to with IPAs

t - piney bitterness up front with a caramelly sweetness in the middle, the finish is mostly citric bitterness, lots of dimensions here

m - fairly light-bodied with ample carbonation, the finish is dry but not overly so

d - very drinkable, the taste and smell kept me interested throughout the whole bomber, the abv may make you keep the intake in moderation however

I was very pleasantly surprised with this brew. Great beer, especially for $4/bomber. Definitely distinct in it's aroma and taste from other IPAs I've had.

08-08-2006 00:17:26 | More by WeisGuy
cokes

Wisconsin

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

Honey golden with a tight graying skin.
The nose is first of cauliflower paste and candied pineapple, secondly its dank bud and rusted iron.
Taste is a hodgepodge of whitebread and gummifruits, venturing into caramel and melon. Vegetal notes, as the pastiness ensues. Ends with a trim wildflower bitterness containing dashes of Jamaician Red Hair.
Medium+ bodied with some tackiness.
Not wholly impressive, even as a budget bomber.

08-03-2006 00:37:50 | More by cokes
hanco005

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A bomber poured into a pint glass….twice.

A—pale orange, slightly hazed, with a 1 inch cream colored foamy head that lasts for 10 minutes or so, lacing appears in layers as I drink.

S—floral, pine and citrus hop aroma combines well and dominates this one…I can only smell hops at this point

T—hops are plentiful and provide a great taste, pine, citrus and floral again and again. As it warms, a bit of the alcohol comes out…some buttery notes come out too as it warms. Finishes dry

M—dry and a bit raw, light bodied, good carbonation

D—I like this one, although not as much as it warmed. Better cold in my opinion.

08-01-2006 20:11:49 | More by hanco005
HoustonTX

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 471.

A - Deep hazy pumpkin orange. Frothy white head, and massive amounts of lacing.

S - Light citrus peel and hops.

T - Taste upfront has a nice sweet malt/floral taste. That taste soon fades to a citrus rind/hop bitterness. Citrus rind bitter seems to last and last. Coats the tounge and the rest of the mouth and leaves you wanting more. Vivacious and inviting, ABV is well disguised. Finishes oily and crisp.

What a treat to have enjoyed poolside. This is one damn good DIPA. Pick one up now!

07-31-2006 17:30:01 | More by HoustonTX
rabsten

West Virginia

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Breckenridge Double Hopped IPA Batch 417

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Clear, bright amber coloration with a medium, clumpy head. Some sticky lacing. This brew just screams “IPA!!!”

Mmmm, Resinous hops, very balsam-like. Sweet citrus comes in later (dead-on grapefruit). Nice.

Pine-y taste. Very resinous. Akin to some of the hoppier, piney-er, and somewhat harsher DIPAs like Oskar Blue’s Gordon, or WV Brewing’s Ned’s Pale. As it warms up, the Maltiness asserts itself like a whisky, which I always appreciate in an IPA.

Good mouthfeel. Solid, but unremarkable.

High drinkability. Seduces you into popping open another shortly after finishing the first.

Bottom ine: no gold medals await this beer but, to paraphrase the farmer in "Babe, "it'll do, beer. It'll do."

07-30-2006 23:43:04 | More by rabsten
DaveFL1976

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

What a pleasant suprise!
I'd been glossing over this brew at the beer store because I wanted to try some other breweries first, and didn't think much of a $4 bomber. But, hey!, this is a nice IPA. Golden body, a little hazy, topped by a fantastic head. The smell is Centenial hops if I had to guess. Nice and fruity/spicy but with a nice malt base to offset. And the taste is nicely balanced, too. Not overpoweringly bittered, but a nice balance. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy with moderate carbonation. Give it a go!

07-25-2006 21:03:41 | More by DaveFL1976
shivtim

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Came in a pint glass with a nice white head and a beautiful deep copper/gold color. Excellent lacing, too. The nose is citrusy hops, with a pronounced very sweet lemon/orange smell, and maybe a hint of sour grapefruit. Very nice. The taste is smooth hops up front, mild sugary lemon in the middle, and lingering hops with a bit malt. Amazingly, the alcohol is hidden very well; I couldn't even detect it. Mouthfeel is great, with just the right amount of carbonation and a fine balance between creaminess and dryness. Ends up being dangerously drinkable.

07-17-2006 04:50:26 | More by shivtim
bjohnson

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden apricot color with a huge frothy one and a half finger white head. The lace left on the glass is unbelievable.
S: Citrus fruit nose with a good earthy malt backbone. A little grassy after a huge sniff.
T/M: An unexpected big metallic tast eup front made me winch a bit. That aside, you can tell this beer has a good grapefruity hop profile mixed with bready malts. As the beer warms the metallic taste becomes subdued and good pine notes emerge. Above average in the bitterness category with citrus notes that linger for a good amount of time. Smooth mouthfeel--This beer coats the mouth as it goes down, almost creamy.
D: This is a good offering from Colorado, though I wish it had more legs to it. Starts out really good, but leaves you wondering what could have been. I'm glad I got to try it though.

07-17-2006 00:42:09 | More by bjohnson
sopor

Oregon

2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

12oz bottle (whose packagin still refers to itself as a Bomber...) drank on 6/4/06.

Clear golden-amber brew with a moderate off-white head.

Very estery malty sweet nose, almost champagne-like, and definitely containing too much acetylhyde!

Starts out champagne like on the tongue at first, with a hint of sweet malt. Hops are green, like chewin' on hop pellets, a little greasy and resinous with lots of resinous aftertaste.

This tastes incomplete, like unfinished beer not done with the last steps of fermentation and conditioning. Full of acetylhyde and champagne-like esthers. I don't believe this to have been infected, as I've tasted unfinished and infected beer. This was definitely like the former.

Typical pale body.

I'll try this again, a long time from now. Perhaps it will be done fermenting by then...

07-15-2006 23:46:14 | More by sopor
bditty187

Nebraska

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Hazy, tawny-bronze in hue with a tickle of copper; I found the color typical of a DIPA. Slightly off-white head, sticky bubbles created almost two fingers of head. Sadly, the head retention was not that impressive, after a few moments all that remained was a sticky, almost soapy, cap. The subsequent lacing was spotty and not widespread. The appearance, overall, is nothing special but an average looking DIPA is still mighty fine.

The nose is not a major hop monster but all is not lost. I really like the sweet fruitiness. Aw crap, who am I fooling? The grapefruit flesh smothered in orange jelly and some caramel infused with pine and spruce is great. I get underlying alcohol heat and just a smattering of caramel malt. The malt bill seems quite ordinary which I find all too often in the style. More malt depth would have been nice because the ale-fruitiness and hoppy aromas do create a snazzy little nose. I wish the potency was louder though, I can hear everything important but I do have to strain for the subtleties. Inviting nevertheless!

The palate is well-rounded with hoppy goodness leading the way. I love the melon fruitiness mixed with grapefruit, lemon zest, spruce tips, pine, and smattering caramel coated orange candy. Sweet but boring malty notes, a kiss of alcohol arrives every now and then. It is nice. As I am sitting here drinking this with an open mind and a need to “figure it out” I am wondering what I tasted last time I had this beer. I proclaimed it “better than Hercules.” Christ, I guess I *had* been drinking. This is a very nice DIPA. Being a “nice” DIPA is not that impressive. Long, slightly alcoholic and yet sweet finish with a similar aftertaste plus there is a hint of hop bitterness as well. Overall… aw hell, I like it.

Medium in body, not too full, not too small… it is just right. Low and creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel is soothing but not sluggish. Well done.

Very drinkable and just as likeable… the high abv is well-hidden in the taste but my brain is swimming in it (maybe it is floating?). I want cheese. I want another bomber. I have purchased a few of these in Kansas City, KS (including this bottle); I will get more. I also tried this on-tap at Falling Rock. It is quite good but not earth-shattering. Maybe I am jaded. Whatever, this is a tasty drink. I say it is worth a try.

07-12-2006 18:48:56 | More by bditty187
Photo of

3.95/5  rDev +1%

22 oz. bomber. Bottle describes it as a double-hopped IPA, and it did deliver. Appearance was a clear amber color, carrying a moderate head, which shrank fairly quickly. The aroma was almost all hops, particularly grapefruit. I thought I also picked up a slight scent of apples, as well. The taste had a faint sweetness and a fairly sturdy malt structure, and then came the hops, again as grapefruit. The beer was medium in body and carbonation, with a somewhat drying aspect. Alcohol warming after the first few sips. I found this a very drinkable beer (if you like hops) and would say that it reminded me of the Smuttynose Big A IPA.

07-12-2006 14:52:16 | More by
karst

Missouri

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From the brewers web site: " 471 is a small batch, limited edition ale that was created by our Brewmaster to separate the weak from the strong. 471 is a double IPA, that combines Pale, Munich, Caramel-30, Carapils and Torrified Wheat malts, with Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Fuggles hops. It has a big sweet mouthfeel, followed by more hoppiness . ."

I put the color a copper tinted honey with showly lace from the finger of white dense head (small sample with easy pour).

A just opened bag ripe tangerine hops call out from the aroma with all their "C"s supporting the Simcoes and some of the sweet malts adding more substance to the piney-citric nature. Tilting the Gouden Carolus glass I find little evidence of the huge abv in aroma, taste or head killing capacity. The "Vinometer" verifies stated abv with its tiny capillary scale.

A hard bite from IBUs softens with the sweet caramel from C-30 and the other adjuncts. Compliments to the brewer for relative balance and fine mouthfeel from the malts. Although the malts rule mid taste, you better like the citrus and grapefruit rind that lingers long!

Like a Bigfoot BW it may benefit from some time in the cellar. Not my favorite DIPA but definately one you should try.

07-10-2006 00:29:31 | More by karst
KilgoreTrout27

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a regular pint glass.

Nice head retention after the pour, the beer was a little lighter in color than most DIPA's as it appeared more golden than copper. Smell was nice, mostly pine with a hint of citrus. The taste followed along with the smell, as there was some piney and citrus hop flavors that finished with a bit of bitterness. I thought the malt could have been more substantial though, as it was a little weak and in the background. The taste was a little one dimensional. Mouthfeel was medium and carbonated well. The alcohol was only slightly present, and the lightness of the beer allows for some drinkibility.

Overall, an interesting offering in the DIPA category. Some added malt complexity would make this beer a little better.

07-05-2006 13:00:43 | More by KilgoreTrout27