471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

471 IPA471 IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004)
3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at Sam's in Highland Park, IL.
Pours and orangey honey hue with an enormous, eggshell colored, soapy, rocky head. HUGE lace that sticks forever, literally, hours after the beer is gone.
The scent is very much of hops, peach, plum, apricot, and a little bit of grape.
The taste is quite malty at the start with some peach, strawberry, flowers and apricot in the middle, and then a hop overload. It's slightly unbalanced, but still enjoyable.

2.45/5  rDev -37.3%

A two finger off white head with decent retention sits atop a clear, goldern amber hued ale. Thin and clingy lacings present in this mildly carbonated brew.

Bready malts, diacetyl, floral hops and a hint of citrus. Hops are underwhelming and the diacetyl overwhelming and just doesnt belong.

Diacetyl almost smothers the bready malts which have a slight caramel sweetness. Hops are almost more earthy and woody, although there is some resinous flavours of whit grapefruit and pine.

A medium bodied brew, too balanced for an IPA in my opinion, and the strong diacetyl presence seriously detracts from this ale. Slightly creamy mouthfeel offsets the quite mild resinous character.

Best thing about this beer was its looks. On the plus side the alcohol was very well hidden. On the minus side diacetyl and not enough hops. If you enjoy diacetyl and brews that arent hopped over the top it may be worth trying, if not i strongly suggest avoiding this ale until its reconfigured.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: It's clear and golden. Head is a thick, foamy two fingers. Absolute gorgeous coat of lace.

Smell: Very citrusy sweet smell. It's a combo of grapefruit, orange, and maybe even a hint of apple in there. Hops are nice and strong smelling.

Taste: Very crisp and refreshing. Citrus flavors are sweet and the grapefruit adds a bit of bitterness. Hops are piney and take bitterness to the next level. A bit of malty sweetness balances it out.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Light to medium bodied and very well carbonated. At 9.2%, it's a little strong to session, but it's very drinkable. Overall, very good IPA. Certainly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +12%

A - Golden copper, if that makes sense. About 1 fingers worth of head.

S - A really nice smell. I'm smelling impaired, but this one really stood out.

T - Wow. This is a wow beer for taste. Citrus, clean fresh. IF that was one word, that is the word I would use.

M - Hard to describe. Just right for the style. Not overly sticky, not to aqueous(do I listen to CBR?). Very good

D - If I bought more then the two bottles I did, I would be fearful of drinking it all in one fell swoop. Very, Very drinkable.

Overall- Really good beer. I can't give this enough props. I can't give it a five because there are no fives (right?). But it's close.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

I had this on tap at one of the Breckenridge Brewpubs. It pours a nice amber color and I could smell the grapefruit aroma as soon as it got close. The flavor is just like the aroma with a bunch of grapefruit and a good malt backbone. It is surprisingly balanced for being double hopped. The body is nice and full and this beer has great drinkability. I was surprised when I went to rate this beer at the level of alcohol. When I was drinking it I would have guessed around 6%...quite a bit less than the 9.2% that it clocks in at.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

The only offensive thing about this brew is the smell. Smells of engine oil. If you get past that, this is one terrific brew. Extemely well rounded. Hops are nice but do not dominate the flavor. Alcohol almost undetectable, making it a deceptive beer which should be sessionable until you drink one or two and your head hits the floor. The hops, although present, quickly dissapate and yearn for another sip. A really great brew which although seems to be harmless, but straight whiskey may wreck you less.

4.85/5  rDev +24%

This is a very well rounded beer. It reminded me of a home brew recipe I once tried called (John 1981). One of my top recommendations since it has the perfect balance of hops (flavor and smell) with the other smooth flavors. Perfect beer for BBQ and pizza.

4.78/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer poured a somewhat cloudy amber orange. The aroma was indicative of a twice hopped (or dry hopped) beer. The taste is slightly bitter but overall sweet and finishes well. This is a very drinkable beer. This beer reminded me very much of Charlie Papazian's John 1981 from his book Microbrewed Adventures.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of the best IPAs that I've had. Great appearance. Nice head and lacing that stay a long time. Nice smell. Hoppy and malty (caramel).

Taste is a balance of hoppiness and caramel malt sweetness. Not overly bitter, and not overly sweet.

Moutfeel is decent. Fairly crisp and clings decently.

This beer is one easy drinking beer. I could make an easy session out of this one. I highly recommend it.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Hazy copper color with creamy head that retains well.

Very aromatic with creamsickle orange in the nose. A slight herbal/vegetal hop green-ness in the nose too.

Palate is heavily skewed towards the hops & accompanying citrus. Not a lot of malt to round it out. Medium or perhaps fuller bodied than many IPA's - and nicely "chewy" in a way.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a light amber gold color, with a thin 1/2 finger head. Poor retention leaves nothing behind.

Aroma is relatively mild Some papery hops mixed with a bit of caramel malt.

Flavor is well balanced, with a nudge towards hoppiness. Nice malty body, with a slightly hoppy finish. Mildly bitter, this one definitely improves as it warms. Slightly metallic finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Drinkability is decent.

Overall, a decent beer from a brewery that is so-so in my opinion. Not a bad beer by any means, just not as good as it could be. It's worth trying, but not really worth seeking out. Good deal though....

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a crisp light amber with a decent off white head that diminished to a small layer. Aroma was dominated by citrus hops with some sweet malts. the taste is a great abundance of citrus hops against a sturdy sweet malt backbone. The beer is medium bodied and the alcohol is well hidden. This is an enjoyable IPA, although I would certainly consider it a Double IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Deep amber with a big white head. Lots of lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

S- Grapefruity hops hit the nose first, followed by quite a bit of caramel malt.

T- Nice bite from the citrus hops up front. There's a nice underlying sweetness throughout, caramel and honey-like. Good flavor and balance. Bitterness is fairly strong but far from overwhelming.

M- Kind of thin overall. Carbonation is fairly low, but at a good level.

D- No hint of the high ABV, so good marks here. I'd have another.

Not bad. Nothing out of this world here, but I enjoyed this beer. It's tasty and balanced, so there's really nothing to complain about. I'm not sure I'd get it again, though, because it was pretty expensive. Recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle.

Light golden-copper color with a nice fluffy head of foam pillows.

Smells like piney resin and grapefruity citrus.

Full malt flavor with pink grapefruit. Sweet and bitter teeter-totter wonderfully in this drink, just like pink grapefruit juice does. 9.2% abv... wow, I thought I was drinking an IPA (most double/imperial IPAs have this sorta abv, but this is soo well hidden). This might be my new favorite..

Please Sir, may I have some more?

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours out a marmalade with nice cascading carbonation and a fluffy and rocky head that leaves sheets of lacing with big holes in it. Lots of earthy, herbal, and grassy hops in the nose with a pleasant absence of pine needles and grapefruit. Malts stand on their own well while still allowing the hops to have a sturdy presence in the nose. I get a good deal of toast, caramel, and bread. I thought I might've been crazy at first picking up some buttery notes, but, sure enough, this is made with an English yeast strain. Fruity esters, caramel, toasted malts, stone fruits, grass, and earthy, herbal hops all play very well together. Not too sweet and, with only 70 IBUS, this doesn't try to strip your tongue off. I can't even taste the alcohol. Mouthfeel is surprisingly not too thick with the high abv, and manages a smoothness all the way through. Very drinkable, but I have to put on the brakes because of the alcohol.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber bottle.

A: Copper/rust colored and poured a 3/4" dense head that slowly dissipated.

S: The nose was filled with hoppy aromas of grapefuit and pine followed by a touch of spice.

T&M: In the mouth the hops continue to shine in this medium-bodied beer with good palate presence. The midpalate has some wonderful balancing sweetness to cut through the bitterness of the hops, though this does show on the finish.

D: Overall, this is a classic Imperial IPA with good balance, weight and length.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Sampled on 4-21-07

Pours a nice amber/orange with a good-size white head and ridiculous glass-coating lacing.

Smell is all sweet and hoppy, grassy citrus dominates.

Taste is much like the smell, very sweet with good hop flavors. Bitterness is not extreme, well-balanced with the sweetness. Finishes with a big alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel is good, very DIPA, resiny and thick.

Drinkability is good, although the alcohol makes its presence known.

Overall a good beer, at a very reasonable price. Definitely a double IPA.

Score edited 9-6-08.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

I poured this 12oz bottle straight into a snifter instead of a pint glass. The color was a very light orange and transparent. There was a healthy stark white head that was about 3 cm and then subsided. The smell was a littel "catty" like some ammonia with hints of apples. The taste was certainly hoppy but no citrus and more cattiness. I also tasted sour apple a little. The aftertaste was pretty bitter. Very solid DIPA.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber bottle.

The appearance is a very hazy apricot color with a 1/2 beige head. Belgian lace was left all along the glass. The aroma was predominantly a biscuity, malty sweetness, with some grapefruit and pine.

The taste is biscuits and a citrusy grapefruit. The aftertaste is bitter, but not too strong. The flavors are all fairly subtle. It does not seem like a 9% beer.

The mouthfeel is medium. The carbonation level is also pretty low.

The drinkability is good. I usually like more taste in my double IPAs. I'd like to see things pumped up in this beer and made more extreme.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

22 oz bomber share between two hopheads

Pours a peachy sort of light orange, with a large off-white head that is both very creamy and retains well - a thin cap never disappears from this beer. Spotty lacing all over most of the glass.

Nose is an impressive display of pine and grapefruit. Not a lot else to say here - there is probably a lot of malt here, as it is noticeable despite all the hops, but it is still way subdued by comparison.

Pretty sweet up front, but the finish is a big kick of bitterness that overwhelms anything else. It's pretty balanced for the style, and quite citrusy up front, but after the first couple sips my palate was preparing itself for the finish and neglected to taste much complexity up front. I hold some in my mouth to try to taste more and instead I end up with a hot mouth - lots of alcohol burn I hadn't noticed earlier. I'd call this a bit numbing to the palate, ala with Ruination, but without the excellent flavor profile.

Carbonation is on the low side of medium. Body would be pleasing, if I wasn't distracted from the bitter numbing effect. I find it impossible to not compare this to a local anaesthetic. (I'll have to keep this in mind for a painkiller later!)

Nothing is BAD about this beer...I've just had better. If I didn't have help I'd have no trouble finishing the bomber, but I doubt I'd want to continue. I've got another bottle - maybe I'll see if it shields me from the super spicy chili I made.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Serving was from a 12 oz. bottle poured into a glass mug.

A: amber color; nice head and retention thereof

S: strong pumpkin notes with tangerine and other citrus flourishes; smells like my childhood -jumping into piles of leaves in the autumn

T: moderately bitter but not overly so; pumpkin notes and pretty hoppy, but again, not extremely so; pretty smooth despite the bitterness and hops

M: sounds weird, but somehow seemed a bit watery yet think and full at the same time

D: the hoppiness of the beer does not make it any less drinkable, as it has a very smooth finish. overall, i'd say it is quite drinkable.

based on the high rating of this beer, i was a bit underwhelmed, but there's no debating that it is a quality beverage that all should enjoy.

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

The bomber poured a hazy copper orange. Thin head left a thick and chunky lace down my glass. Smell has hops and piney citrus, could be more intense. Taste starts a bit malty and finishes with a dry hoppy tang. Very clean dry finish, and the alcohol is hidden extremely well. I found this to be an extremely drinkable DIPA. I will be making the trek for more bombers soon.

recently became available again in Az, was glad to have it

A-poured a clear pale golden color with a white head that both retains well and laced nicely

S- smelled awesome, very piney citrusy hop aroma just jumped out of the glass at me

T- just a little bit sweet at first, then piney and very citrusy hop bitterness

M- medium body with good carbonation

D- a really good IPA, should be classified as a double at 9.2% ABV, enjoyed this one alot, thinkin about gettin my growler filled of this stuff

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

I thought I was grabbing a regular IPA, it was dark, I find out later it was a double. Hazy orangey with an initial foamy head. Orange citrus aroma and taste. Quite smooth, and decent mouthfeel. Well malted for its true style. Satisfying, with 9.2% well hidden. Good mouthfeel and carbonation.

6-pack purchased for $13. 12oz bottle decanted into a wide rim style glass.

Poured a clean golden color with some hint of amber. Half inch head laced the glass from top to bottom.

Smells good--like an IPA should!

Taste is very good! Nice and hoppy with a dry citrusy finish. It's what I would expect out of a double IPA. Alcohol (taste-wise) goes virtually unnoticed. Ranks as a must try!
~UBS