471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

471 IPA471 IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004)
3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

Not sure why it took me so long to review this, maybe because its very common here & easy to take for granted

Pours butterscotch/amber with a 2 fingers+ offwhite head Lacing & head retention are outstanding

S: Piney hops

T: Grapefruitty hops up front, then some piney hop attack & a little malt sweetness. Hints or caramel & brown sugat surfaces as it warms. Grapefruitty hops dominate as it warms some more. Finishes dry & uberhoppy (citric & earthy hop notes)

MF: Slightly oily with good carbonation, wish there was a little more malt depth to balance out the grapefruit hops

Drinks pretty good, but the 9% abv rules this out as a session ale, still a good one if you're jonesing for hops, just probably used the wrong hops varieties IMO

russpowell, Oct 15, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear orange color with a half-inch of antique white foam on top. There weren't that many bubbles rising, but still the head stuck around for at least a minute before finally falling into the beer. The beer is already leaving some lacing on the glass even before I drank it. After drinking the beer, there is a whole bunch of lacing left on the glass. It is a nice looking beer.

Aroma: Some citrus hops along with a good bit of sweet caramel malt make up the aroma. With the "Double hopped" written on the bottle, I expected hop juice which it is not. This was a somewhat pleasant surprise for me the non-hophead. Regardless, this isn't what one would expect for a IIPA, so that is how I am going to score it.

Taste: The flavor has a good citrus hop introduction with some defined malt to carry it across the palate. There is a bit of a floral hop character to this beer also, but the malt is really big. I get a good bit of sweetness in the later part of the profile, and this character is only challenged by the bittering hops that seem to set in almost stealthy like. You don't really notice that there is a bitter thing going on until late in the finish where it sneaks up and coats the throat at the last minute. The finish is only somewhat hop balanced because there is a whole bunch of malt in this one.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer. It isn't too hoppy which is a good thing for me, but the hophead would likely be disappointed. It is so strong with the malt and alcohol that this one walks the fine line between a Barley Wine and an IIPA. If I were trying this beer with a blindfold on, I would probably put it in the American Barley Wine category. Regardless this is a good beer that is pretty well balanced and I would drink it again.

SkeeterHawk, Oct 10, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Clear amber- yellow color with a nice looking off white head.
Good smell of perfumy and floral hops.
Medium bodied with a smooth mouthfeel.
Taste starts with a nice malty sweetness which quickly succumbs to a medium hop and alcohol bitterness to finish.
Probably the best beer I've tried from Breckenridge.

beerceller99, Oct 06, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours pretty, dark honey gold red with a head that's amazing for a beer with such a high alcohol content.

Smells like sticky icky grapefruit hops and a killer caramel malt. Wonderfully intense and perfectly balanced, even if it doesn't cause any poetic descriptions.

Tastes like a hop jackhammer. It's job is to jackhammer through hops and it is also made of hops and so they call it a hops jackhammer. It's got lots of hops, is what I'm trying to say. Mostly grapefruit, a little more citrus, and ending on dry hops.

Huge, huge hops. I like those. But there's no balance and they're not too horribly complex.

Still way more drinkable than it has any right to be.

mynie, Oct 06, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured this undated 12 oz. brown bottle into an IPA glass. Served around 50F. Small head faded to nothing. Body was copper colored with a chill haze.

Smell was interesting. Floral and alcohol. Sugary. Piney. Aroma became sweeter and the alcohol odor increased as it warmed further.

Taste was pretty intense with hops, not bitterness exactly but a kind of oily harshness. Mineral flavor (?). Sweetness was more than I expected or wanted. Caramel, syrupy. The high alcohol content was well hidden. The two major elements (malts & hops) just didn't work well together.

Medium to full bodied. moderate carbonation present. Smoothness increased as it warmed. Mouthfeel was probably the best thing about this beer. This is not a beverage I will look for in the future.

Cresant, Oct 04, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a clear amber color with a creamy off white head, which it retains quite well. Aroma is citrusy (grapefruit) hop aroma. Taste is citrusy hop flavor, malty sweetness, and lots of bitterness. Medium to full bodied, average carbonation. I'm surprised the alcohol doesn't stand out more with this high of an ABV. This is a solid IPA, its not the best but its pretty good.

Dizzy, Oct 03, 2006

Had on trip to Ft Worth. From notes.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass (two pours) from a 22 oz bomber. The beer is dark gold in color, slightly hazy, with a nice 1/2 inch head. Head lingerd, leaves some good lacing.

Smell: Mostly hops, no...it's all hops. Citrousy, piney aromas, kinda like a house cleaner.

Taste: Thankfully, not like house cleaner. It is one dimensional towards hops, which I expect for the style. I like my IPA (or double IPA, see below) to be nice and hoppy, which this is.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full in body. Good carbonation keeps this lively.

Drinkability: A good beer, inexpensive and easy drinking. The alcohol is well hid. The only comment/complaint I had is I thought I was buying a double IPA, as the bottle seems to indicate by the labeling, but here it is listed as an IPA. My scores therefore, are for an IPA. As a double IPA this would not rate quite as high for me.

BigRedN, Sep 29, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Hazy gold, decent head retention.

Smell: Somewhat weak citrus smell.

Taste: Starts with some sweet breadiness, then stays sweet while picking up some orange and grapefruit flavors from the hops.

Mouthfeel: If this was classified a DIPA it would be a little thin, but as an IPA it is very good.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this again, only $3.99 a 22oz for a good hop infusion.

This beer was better than I expected, especially since the reviews are so mixed. It might be that it is much better than the mediocre semi-homebrew beers I've been drinking lately. I think I'd still recommend it even without that caveat.

Mdog, Sep 24, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -24.6%

I had this brew recently in Houston, TX on draught. It was offered as a Double IPA and I was looking forward to a nice treat. I was somewhat disappointed. The color and carbonation when delivered was accepatable. There was barley any nose detectable. The glass felt a little too cold so I decided to allow it to warm for around 7 to 8 minutes as I recall. After giving it a gentle swirl, there was not too much going on with the nose. This was my first bad feeling. After taking a pull, and genlty rolling it back and forth in my mouth, my impression was a lot of citrusy hop and just slightly out of balance with respect to the malt.

A very detectable alcohol burn was noted upon the swallow. Apparently this is around a 9% ABV brew. I then compared it with a bottle of Hopevil pulled from the refrigerator case. Hopdevil is what I mostly measure other IPA's against. (It's because it's so available in southeastern, pa and that's where I live) I founf the bottled Hopdevil to be a superior IPA to this one.

maybrick, Sep 24, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

sampler, then pint at Breckenridge BBQ & Brew Pub, Denver

Boom! Hops all up in my face. This was no regularly IPA, this was definitely a double, despite how it was explained by our waitress. I liiiike. The hop character is very citrus - TONS of grapefruit and some pine. It's thick with a slight carameliness that makes it remarkably creamy. The bite is very bitter. This is not a beer to mix with food, but I didn't mind it's palate crushing.

Of note: I purchased a 6 pack of this to bring back West with me - the draft version was much better and far less grapefruity.

sloejams, Sep 13, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange color with a two and a half inch off-white head. Lovely. Lots of thick lacing coats my glass. A thin blanket of the head remains all the way through the glass.

Aroma is hoppy. Citrus and grass come out on top but the scent could be more dominant.

The taste starts with some sweetness...honey and caramel...followed by the citrus and grass flavors of the hops. A touch of floral towards the end. You can taste the ABV upon swallowing but it isn't overwhelming by any means.

Creamy mouthfeel. A bit on the thin side though. Some bitterness remains, but hardly any dryness. Smooth and creamy. I would pick this up more often if it was available in my area...nice brew.

Imstillthegman, Sep 08, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Following a hazy, deep orange pour, the notes of citrus & pine mingle with faint spice scents emanating from the generous & long lasting head.

Wow! A strange lack of taste on the initial sip is followed by an immense rush of the hoppy, citrus I expect from IPAs. Not nearly the hoppiest IPA I've had (not even in that category), although it is still agreeably drinkable. In fact, its mid-range hops content makes for an ideal session brew.

Overall, this isn't an unforgettable beer but if given the chance to purchase it again I'd certainly have to consider. A very enjoyable ale.

NOTE: I have now followed the initial tasting with some rather spicy Indian food & must say that the pairing is ideal.

malcontent, Sep 04, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

I picked up a bomber of this at Park Lane Liquor, Lancaster CA. A great store with *amazing* selection. So many brews to choose from, how was I to know what to get?

This ale poured a golden color with red-brown highlights. It produced a healthy head and a decent nose, citrusy with grapefruit and more.

The flavor was most rewarding, I could have stayed with this a long time. It was grapefruit with something extra, excellent hoppiness, and very nice zing to it. Wow! It's not just the alcohol that supercharges the flavor here, this is a finely tuned product.

Mouthfeel was light to medium, a little stickiness from the malts that supported the hop bouquet very nicely. It's a crisp but substantial brew that satisfies. I really love the high-octane, citrusy IPAs that come out of Colorado. I will buy again the next chance I get, and savor this stuff. Don't pass up a chance to sample this fine ale.

dickroop, Aug 27, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Hazy dark color, with a small, persistent white head, fine scattered patchy lacing. The head is very thin, but retains well.

Aroma: Hops are quite mild, but pronounced, with a pleasant botanical character, and abundant sweet malt notes.

Taste: Rich sweet malt notes, followed by a solid hop presence. Mild pine tar hops dominate throughout, but are fairly subdued in character. Sweet malt notes carry throughout the taste. The high alcohol content is extremely well concealed. The hop notes linger on well past the end of the taste, with a slight medicinal character.

Mouth feel: Smooth, very soft and full, quite excellent.

Drinkability/notes: A very well made American IPA, which does not succumb to the extreme, as do a fair number of examples of the style.

Pegasus, Aug 27, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

Golden orange pour, thin white head, minimal lace, large weak bubbles, clear as a bell (overly filtered IMO).

The smell is very nice. Wonderful herbal hoppiness pours from the glass. Citrus, apricots, lemon, Riesling grapes, fresh apples, honey, vanilla . . .

The flavor could be very nice, but the overly bitter aspects and the boozy solvent qualities get in the way. I taste citrus, peaches, honeyed malt. The bitter/booze just overpowers.

The mouthfeel is too thin and edgy. Too much spritz. It is filtered so there is no bread. Bitter booze.

Too big and bitter to be sustainably refreshing, even for the style:)

kohoutek, Aug 23, 2006

Nice orange colored brew with a creamy white colored head that lingers for ever. Smell is a bit floral and of citrus. Initial taste is a malty sweetness followed by bitterness from the hops and a hint of grapefruit. Nice mouthfeel and pretty refreshing on a warm summer day. Pretty solid brew and a good value.

hckyfn9999, Aug 20, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

I really appreciated the look of this beer. It was a great shade orange that gave way to gold at the edges. It reminded me of autumn in New England. A large fluffy head eventually gave way to a thin creamy layer that hung around till the glass was empty. Even its painted label (orange and white) was quite pleasing.

The aroma did not blow me away. It was a bit understated for me. But what I did find was a nice blend of citrus and grassy hops.

The first sip was, no surprise, quite creamy. Though there was not nearly as much carbonation as I expected, and it was a little on the thin side. There were some hops coating the tongue, and when held on the palate there was a slight tingle.

All that aside, this beer tastes really good. Each sip began with a hint of honey-like sweetness. This was quickly followed by floral then grapefruit hops.

As this was probably my one and only bomber of this ever, I wsould have to speculate on its drinkability...but I'd guess that to be rather high. I would surely have this again, if possible. Though I don’t think it will haunt me (you know who you are…).

ampzilla, Aug 10, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

a - great looking IPA, burnt orange color, big off-white head with some magnificient lacing, good head retention

s - piney hoppiness with a more pronounced sweet maltiness than I'm used to with IPAs

t - piney bitterness up front with a caramelly sweetness in the middle, the finish is mostly citric bitterness, lots of dimensions here

m - fairly light-bodied with ample carbonation, the finish is dry but not overly so

d - very drinkable, the taste and smell kept me interested throughout the whole bomber, the abv may make you keep the intake in moderation however

I was very pleasantly surprised with this brew. Great beer, especially for $4/bomber. Definitely distinct in it's aroma and taste from other IPAs I've had.

WeisGuy, Aug 08, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

Honey golden with a tight graying skin.
The nose is first of cauliflower paste and candied pineapple, secondly its dank bud and rusted iron.
Taste is a hodgepodge of whitebread and gummifruits, venturing into caramel and melon. Vegetal notes, as the pastiness ensues. Ends with a trim wildflower bitterness containing dashes of Jamaician Red Hair.
Medium+ bodied with some tackiness.
Not wholly impressive, even as a budget bomber.

cokes, Aug 03, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A bomber poured into a pint glass….twice.

A—pale orange, slightly hazed, with a 1 inch cream colored foamy head that lasts for 10 minutes or so, lacing appears in layers as I drink.

S—floral, pine and citrus hop aroma combines well and dominates this one…I can only smell hops at this point

T—hops are plentiful and provide a great taste, pine, citrus and floral again and again. As it warms, a bit of the alcohol comes out…some buttery notes come out too as it warms. Finishes dry

M—dry and a bit raw, light bodied, good carbonation

D—I like this one, although not as much as it warmed. Better cold in my opinion.

hanco005, Aug 01, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 471.

A - Deep hazy pumpkin orange. Frothy white head, and massive amounts of lacing.

S - Light citrus peel and hops.

T - Taste upfront has a nice sweet malt/floral taste. That taste soon fades to a citrus rind/hop bitterness. Citrus rind bitter seems to last and last. Coats the tounge and the rest of the mouth and leaves you wanting more. Vivacious and inviting, ABV is well disguised. Finishes oily and crisp.

What a treat to have enjoyed poolside. This is one damn good DIPA. Pick one up now!

HoustonTX, Jul 31, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Breckenridge Double Hopped IPA Batch 417

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Clear, bright amber coloration with a medium, clumpy head. Some sticky lacing. This brew just screams “IPA!!!”

Mmmm, Resinous hops, very balsam-like. Sweet citrus comes in later (dead-on grapefruit). Nice.

Pine-y taste. Very resinous. Akin to some of the hoppier, piney-er, and somewhat harsher DIPAs like Oskar Blue’s Gordon, or WV Brewing’s Ned’s Pale. As it warms up, the Maltiness asserts itself like a whisky, which I always appreciate in an IPA.

Good mouthfeel. Solid, but unremarkable.

High drinkability. Seduces you into popping open another shortly after finishing the first.

Bottom ine: no gold medals await this beer but, to paraphrase the farmer in "Babe, "it'll do, beer. It'll do."

rabsten, Jul 31, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

What a pleasant suprise!
I'd been glossing over this brew at the beer store because I wanted to try some other breweries first, and didn't think much of a $4 bomber. But, hey!, this is a nice IPA. Golden body, a little hazy, topped by a fantastic head. The smell is Centenial hops if I had to guess. Nice and fruity/spicy but with a nice malt base to offset. And the taste is nicely balanced, too. Not overpoweringly bittered, but a nice balance. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy with moderate carbonation. Give it a go!

DaveFL1976, Jul 25, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Came in a pint glass with a nice white head and a beautiful deep copper/gold color. Excellent lacing, too. The nose is citrusy hops, with a pronounced very sweet lemon/orange smell, and maybe a hint of sour grapefruit. Very nice. The taste is smooth hops up front, mild sugary lemon in the middle, and lingering hops with a bit malt. Amazingly, the alcohol is hidden very well; I couldn't even detect it. Mouthfeel is great, with just the right amount of carbonation and a fine balance between creaminess and dryness. Ends up being dangerously drinkable.

shivtim, Jul 17, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden apricot color with a huge frothy one and a half finger white head. The lace left on the glass is unbelievable.
S: Citrus fruit nose with a good earthy malt backbone. A little grassy after a huge sniff.
T/M: An unexpected big metallic tast eup front made me winch a bit. That aside, you can tell this beer has a good grapefruity hop profile mixed with bready malts. As the beer warms the metallic taste becomes subdued and good pine notes emerge. Above average in the bitterness category with citrus notes that linger for a good amount of time. Smooth mouthfeel--This beer coats the mouth as it goes down, almost creamy.
D: This is a good offering from Colorado, though I wish it had more legs to it. Starts out really good, but leaves you wondering what could have been. I'm glad I got to try it though.

bjohnson, Jul 17, 2006