Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mschofield on 08-09-2004

Reviews: 792 | Ratings: 2,141
4.46/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A little darker than amber color with a nice bubbley head. I could smell the hops as it was served. It's a piney type of aroma, not really a citrus or floral variety of hops.
Taste was simple, yet strong. Pine/rosemarry and malt dominate the flavor. Godd balance of biscuit, malt and caramel, but the pine/rosemarry is most noticeable. A nice bite to it.
Finishes clean, very easy drinking for me.

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer pours a bright copper/orange color with a thin, white head that quickly recedes. Lots of lace on the glass. The aroma is earthy and somewhat citrusy, dominated by the smell of the sweet, caramel and munich malt. The flavor is earthy, sweet, caramel-y... The hop bitterness is ever-present though not as prevalent as I would have liked in a double IPA, especially with the use of Chinook, Centennial and Simcoe hops. Speaking of which, with all of those great hops, where are the flavor hops? Those poor Simcoes are being wasted! :) The mouthfeel is slick and heavy, no surprise here. Drinkability? If you can finish one without a bit of a buzz, you're either an alcoholic or a bit tubby. One is enough for me. Overall, I'm a but underimpressed with this offering. I like Breckenridge, but this "small batch" might be worth passing up.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours out a light yellow amber with a nice fluffy head. great lacing.

Smell. Citris, lemons and grapefruit are dominant; so dominant i dont really smell anything else. but it's nice.

Taste. big grapefruit bitterness here. small caramel sweetness. creamy taste, mostly fro the alcohol, yet the alcoholic taste is very small. aftertaste is tart with grapefruit tastes.

Mouthfeel. creamy, yet chewy body. low carbonation gives this an extra creaminess and also a slickness i cant really explain.

Overall a very good ipa, or double ipa. the taste is quite nice, but just a touch one dimentional (but certainly not bad). Mouthfeel, i think, gives it a great uniqueness. very tasty.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a crystal clear light amber, dark straw color. Plumes of head form and stick around forever. Aromas are basically hop juice, Cascade and other citrusy,resinous hops. Beer is undercarbonated killing the mouthfeel. It is slightly heavy and syrupy with the hops not making too much of a bite, more for the flavor and aroma. The beer has nothing much else that makes it a stand out and the carbonation issue really is a problem.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz bottle - The label mentions these small batches come in bombers but I happened to find a 12 oz bottle.

A - Pours a golden amber with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. A little lighter than most typical IPA's.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, earthy hops and some caramel.

T - Citrus and grapefruit hops. I am no longer getting the earthiness I found in the aroma. Caramel malt. Bitter finish lingers on the tongue along with a slight hint of alcohol.

M - Medium body with a slick resiny aftertaste.

D - The alcohol is hidden very well and I was surprised to see it was 9+%. It goes down very easily and I am guessing this one would sneak up on you.

from the bottle. poured a a dark honey wiyh a bigfluffy off white head that left a lot of lacing. aroma, I think I smell some hops and some more hops, and the glass is about 2 feet away from me, caramel white pine, flavor, got a big hit of hops and sweet orange juice, some alcohol, a nice bitterness. what a good beer going to get more of this. I do like a good IPA

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Just found a bomber of this and thought I'd give it a try.

Appearance- Clear light pumpkin orange with lots of sediment floating around. Froathy white head that clings nicely.

Smell- Fruity, hop esters, and malt sweetness. Definitely some floral hop notes, citrus lingering behind.

Taste- Sweet up front, nice bitterness followed by a malt sweetness to back it up. Nicely crafted and well balanced. Has quite a long astringent aftertaste,

Mouthfeel- Full bodied and, again, astringent.

Drinkability- Not sure if I'd want more than one of these in a night. A good quality beer, well built, but not outstanding.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

Picked this up at Kenny Rd. Market in Columbus last weekend.

This beer looks incredible in a pint glass. Huge white head that resembles merangue. Creamy as can be, honestly this head could be mistaken for vanilla pudding. Right below the head is a clear pumpkin orange, typical of the IPA style, damn this is looking incredible.

Honeysuckle and sweet juicy citrus in the aromas. Incredibly sweet. A little grapefruit juice rounds it out. Top notch smells coming from this one.

Very bitter up front, and sweet malt finish that lets you know that this one isn't ALL hops. White grapes, grapefruit, and other citrus notes that blend together nicely. Pretty good stuff. I'm not a huge fan of malty IPA's and this one is really balanced nicely. The bottle says its a double IPA, but the hops don't dominate it in any way. A little way through the glass the hops kind of stand out more in the aftertaste but still its very balanced.

The carbonation balances this one out nicely, and its not too oily either.

The 9.2% in this one isn't noticable in the least bit. If it weren't so bitter I could drink a couple bombers of it. Probably not easy drinking for someone new to the world of good beer but I dont find it too hard to drink.

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up a bomber for $2.89 at Woodman's West here in Madison.

Pours a reddish-amber with a few fingers of sticky-icky-icky head that lasts miracuously long given the 9.2%. Nose is most unique for a DIPA (which this obvious is, duh), very earthy, smoky, meaty hops (which might make sense given the BBQ in the monicker) with some high octane vapor singeing the nosehairs. Taste follows the unique nose with a very un-piney, un-citrusy, herbal, earthy hop profile, grassy, and smoky with a hearty alcoholic bite letting you know who's boss. This is all hops and booze, yet somehow it works quite nicely. A breath of fresh air in the malt/hop bomb dominated style. And an absolute steal at $2.89/bomber.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

22 oz bomber for $3.99

A: Pours clear orangish, 1" head, leaves a nice lacing on the glass as I drink.

S: Smells strongly like citrusy hops, very strong at first, balances out a bit as it settles in the glass

T: Not as blantantly hoppy as the smell suggests. Hops at first followed by grapefruit and sweet malt. Almost too sweet. Finishes a little bitter and warm from the alcohol.

M: Thick, but not as syrupy like the heavy IPAs get.

D: Wouldn't have guessed 9.2% without seeing it. Not bad, but still a tad sweet to drink too much of it

Overall, a good beer, but I've had more impressive IPA/DIPAs. At 9.2%, surprised its not categorized as a DIPA.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Pristine tangerine with only a few slowly rising bubbles to disturb the flawless clarity of the beer. The surface of the pale ecru crown contains thousands of delicate bubbles that topped the glass edge on the pour like ice cream heaped above the cone. As it melts, the upper third of the glass is almost completely covered with lace that resembles spray-on snow.

Given the hops in use (Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Fuggles), the nose is pretty much as expected: caramel-coated grapefruit and orange zest, along with an understated spruciness. I don't appreciate any of the tropical aromas that Simcoe can impart and the Fuggles are completely buried under the boldness of the American hops.

Like the nose, the flavor is enjoyable without being outstanding. 471 IPA is well-malted with more than a trace (but less than a raging river) of melted caramel. As a consequence, the hops have been given the opening and the opportunity to shine. I just wish that they had Carped the Diem with a little more gusto.

Again, grapefruit, orange and evergreen are the principal flavors. Malty sweetness is easily able to match hoppy bitterness, keeping the beer from being a full-blown tongue torturer. Unfortunately, the alcohol is a little too raw and fusel-like for me; resulting in a beer that reminds me in some ways of a young barleywine.

The taste score is only as high as it is because of my love for Big Beer in general and DIPAs in particular. If you aren't thrilled with either, knock off a half-point. The body is medium-full and is firmer than it is lush or creamy. Or, it could be that the ill-mannered alcohol is giving me the impression of a harder-edged mouthfeel. The carbonation is barely noticed, but effective.

Breckenridge 471 is a 'merely good' DIPA that looks better on paper than it ends up being in execution. My advice to the brewers would be to knock a few percentage points off the ABV and to add an additional few handfuls of hops. Bottom line: I won't be sorry to see an empty bottle like I am with the majority of DIPAs that I drink.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a hazy coppery orange, with a thin quarter inch head that fades pretty quickly to a thin spotty cap. Lacing is pretty decent considering the lack of foam.

Smell; mostly grapefruit and piney hops, with a litlle bit of caramel malts thrown in. A bit on the tame side for an IPA/DIPA, but still pretty nice.

Taste; plenty of citric and piney hops, and there's an almost grainy earthiness to the bitterness. The malty sweetness is there just enough to keep the bitterness in check. The flavor is stronger, and better, than the aroma led me to believe, but there is a bit of an alcohol burn in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, and pretty darn easy to drink.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

This is a clear dark gold beer with a bubbly off-white head. The head did not stick around long, but did lace the glass nicely. There is a nice hoppy aroma, but it's not real strong. The taste is where the hops really appear. It starts out slightly sweet, and ends dry and bitter. There is a strange combination of hops here that gives this a unique flavor. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth, and thick. The drinkability is as good as a 9.2% beer can be.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Slightly hazed dark golden. Medium sized ivory white head. Lace left is adequate. Pungent hops on the nose. Real earthy and dirty and muddy. In a a good way. This IPA is down and dirty in a good way. Real earthy and herbal and grundy with the hops. None of that bright Citric or Piney Bullshit (nothing against that), but this has some balls to it. Nice, solid malt backing as well. Toffee and caramel come into play. Body is damn near full. Carbonation appropriate. This is a nice change of pace for an IPA and quite enjoyable.

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

Just how I like my DIPA not overly bitter just packed full of hop flavor and with a swift kick in the butt from the high abv. Nice dark copper color with a tight lace head and lots of lacing in the glass. The smell was the weakest thing in this beer, but I have feeling that it is killer fresh the hops just aren't coming on as heavy as I would think. The taste is great full of pine citrus and decently balanced with big malty tones and slight sweetness. Very full and creamy body makes this a good drinker at 9% it might be lights out after a bomber and a long day of work.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%

Excited to try this one, thanks to Zorro for the bottle.

Appearance: A moderate copper color, nice sticky, slow fading head.

Smell: For a beer that says it is double hopped, it is really missing a lot in the nose, I was expecting a big hop presence, this is a little dissapointing.

Taste: Sweet but mellow carmel malts immediately, followed by a bigger than average hop finish, that is mostly citric with some pine. Doesn't blow me away, but it certainly tastes good.

Drinkability: I was initially surprised when this beer was listed as an American IPA, I was sure that it would've been Breckenridge's foray into big ballsy beers, starting with a Double IPA, but sadly it isn't. Not a bad bomber at all, I was just hoping for a little more.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

I poured this from a 1 pint 6 oz bomber.

Initially there was much activity in the pour, so I thought this was going to be overly loaded with carbonation. The head retention was typical of an IPA, but it left a quite lovely lace after several minutes. Looking through my glass into natural light, I notice this IPA is a bit hazier than others that I've tried.

Before I poured, I took a whiff into the bottle to get a preview of what it was going to smell like in my glass. I noticed this IPA smelled overwhelmingly piney due to the heavy hop presence. Nothing else really stood out.

In tasting this brew, the piney taste was most prevalent. It left a somewhat spicy aftertaste, though. This IPA is not very fruity to me at all.

This feels like a pretty dry IPA to me. Initially after I take a sip, I get cotton mouth. Shortly thereafter, my mouth waters from my taste buds being kicked from the piney sensation. As far as drinkability goes, I'm never too picky. Heck I've drank my own sock water before (I was a student at the USAF's SERE School).

This beer is okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it again, unless it's the only IPA I can find. If it's on tap in a local club or restaurant, I'd probably drink it again.

TheSarge

3.39/5  rDev -12.6%

A richly carbonated head with tremendous lace retention. Color is a very clean copper. I am actually very turned off by the smell of this beer. Smells of rotting food? upfront with a hoppy malt aroma.

So this beer seems somewhat watery and unrefined. It does have a abundant hop structure, with the expected grapefruit and citrus flavors prevelant. But everything just seem slightly discombobulated.

Well after about 20 mins this beer seems to open up somewhat. Pulling itself together. And become much more drinkable and appreciative.

The mouthfeel is pretty much described in the previous paragraph. Meaning it's not an overly drinkable beer but after some breathing time makes great progress. One or two and move on.

I had this on draught against 90 Minute IPA with Randall the Enamel Animal at BW3 Indy a few days ago and this beer held it's own. Totally different draught and spectacular. Unfortunately I didn't take notes on that one. Would have scored mid fours draught.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a slightly hazed amber tone, with large puffy foam.
Aroma is mellow pine trees and citrus with candy caramel underpinning.
Flavor has a sharp resiny bitter to start then a wash of sweet caramel and some fruitiness, well balanced flavors.
Mouthfeel is full and chewy and very palate coating. solidly balanced between sweet and bitter and somewhat complimentary play between the sweet and hop notes.
Drinkability was very high, solid level of alcohol but not ever present on the palate, a few pints of this would leave you feeling pretty good.

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

Dusty copper. Fantastic clinging lace tapestries on the chalice. The nicely designed, minimalistic graphic artwork is also quite nice.

Nose is harsh. Prickly, near-metallic hop intensity. Does seem to be double-hopped, but where's the malt? Somewhat interesting coniferous thing happening here that reminds me of DFH at its harshest.

Taste reminds me of chewing on pressed flowers. Somewhat marine-like qualities. I wish there was some malt I could point out here, but no. Hoppy Orange-Juice that gets acrid.

Malt sweetness might only be detected on the tongue in this beer in its slight slickness. Finishes dry, watery, and bitter. Not addictive in the slighest like a good IIPA should be.

One bomber of this elixir is more than enough. I had hope for Breckenridge's Small Batch series, but this didn't even seem that much better in quality than any of the 12oz offerings i've tried.

And at $6 a bomber I don't think i'll be giving their 'double-brown' a shot, either.

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%

A bit cloudier than regular IPAs. big head, reddish color. orangy hop smell. Whoa, i dont like the taste too much. way too sour. a lot of alcohol evident too which should not be the case with a regular IPA in my opinion. some nice hops on the finish but overall not too great.

Clear appearance, cast in a honey-glazed amber-y hue, with prodigioius puffy, lacey foam above. Nice lookin'.

Aroma is soft, piney, citric, pleasant, but muted. Candyish tones overtake bitterness. Appealing.

Brisk blash of bitter on the palate, then caramel flavor rolls in, toffee, like a brief battle between hops and malt, this candyish sweetness muffling the bitterness. Interesting. Fruit bobs up again, but instantly enfolded by sweet caramel. An interesting combo, one I don't encounter in an IPA very often...but one that doesn't quite hold my in sway with it's charms for very long.

Full mouthfeel, lot going on in the texture, medium to full bodied, tasty, complex finish, hangs long on the palate...but, alas, the flavor doesn't quite cut it all the way, for me. Still good, just not what I look for in an IPA. An accomplished ale, nonetheless.

( P.S: I had no idea the alcohol was so high when I first sampled it...kudos for keeping it hidden, but I have a feeling it'll kick in as I finish the bomber!)

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Crystal clear body of pale honey amber. Small capping of whitish smooth foam. Keeps a good skim the whole glass through and the lacing is placed well across the glass in broken inky strings.

Aroma is fairly grassy edged with an herbal hay notion. Nice little twist of orange/lemon citrus on top and a notch of pine. Trace faint malt detected as it warms.

Taste is decent with an overall clean profile. Semi hoppy texture abounds upfront with herbal grassyness, a sweet underbelly, and pale pine. Middles out rounded with the malt creeping in more then earlier points. Ends cleaner with slightly bitter grassy hops twisted together with a citric lemony orange pulp tint. Leaves a partial dryness as it cinders into tthe finish with a lemony warmth of hop oil.

Feel is medium bodied and textured with a hoppy leafyness in front, rounds off in the middle, gets clean, then drys out with a slight bitterness. Smooth and balanced. Seemingly more akin to a good Pale Ale then an IPA, but holds its own well enough for a hoppy enjoyment. Perhaps not as complex as others I've had, but is decent enough.

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%

The beer pours the deep amber of good apple juice, with a head that is a wonder to behold. Thick and rich, it slowly collapses leaving more lacing behind than most beer have head!
However, the apple-juice look tends to translate into other areas. It smells sweet mixed with citrusy PNW hops with a strong floral note. Almost like a fruit juice . . .
And the taste really brings that idea home. The sweet caramel malts mix with the hops and the unmistakable presence of acetaldehyde to create a beer that tastes a lot like apple juice. Sweet, with just a slight tang to it. It is good and the character that the hops impart is unmistakable, but the finished product is apple juice.

Tastey. Strange, but tastey. Not sure I'd buy it again, though. Especially at nearly 10% ABV! Whew! If I knew I was lookin' at an alco-bomb, I wouldn't have picked it up.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: Pours a pale golden honey with a huge foamy white head that sticks around and leaves some great lacing on the pint glass.

Smell: I could smell this brew as soon as I cracked open the bottle. Big flowery, herbal hop aroma. Some malty/nutty notes in the background.

Taste: Huge hop attack right away, very herbal/grassy. Backing that is enough nutty maltiness to keep it relatively balanced. The alcohol comes in big-time at the end, but it works, I like it that way. Caramelly/sugary aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Super-smooth and perfectly carbonated. Not too heavy.

Drinkability: For a near-10% brew, this one sure goes down easy. Great mouthfeel and pleasant aftertaste.

This one comes from Cellar's in Roseville. Thanks for the tip, Christian! I will definitely be buying this one again!

471 IPA from Breckenridge Brewery