471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

471 IPA471 IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004)

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Had a keg (full size.... No pony) for my wedding

4.95/5  rDev +26.6%

This is as close to perfect as you can get. Light spicy aroma with some good floral and citrus notes in there…who cares. This beer taste amazing. Smooth with a wonderful IPA bite at the end that doesn't overwhelm or is overdone. Very smooth and uber drinkable even with the higher ABV. Thank God, Superman, Captian Cave Man or whomever that Breckenridge made this.

Just to note... I can't get tired of this. On tap, 22oz bomber or 12oz bottle it is outstanding. The intoxicating aroma that is only matched by it's taste make this one #1.

4.88/5  rDev +24.8%

4.85/5  rDev +24%

Okay, this beer is now one of my reference IPA's. I would put this up there with any of them... Dogfish 90 minute, Stone IPA, Southern Tier 2X IPA.. etc. but this beer rises above these beers and is getting into Avery's Maharaja territory.. which is lofty company, in my opinion. This is a quality made product. I don't go in for the color and lacing details. It's all about Taste, Taste, Taste. This beer has that in spades.

It has an exceptional flavor range for an IPA. Citrus notes exceptionally well counterbalanced with toffee and caramel. Upfront taste is a bit bitter, after all it is an IPA, then a subtle reveal of all the taste layers of grapefruit and caramel, with a finish of some of the toffee and alcohol beautifully blended. Carbonation and mouth-feel are perfect.

This beer is a winner! Enthusiastically recommended. But hey, I'm just some guy in Ohio.

4.85/5  rDev +24%

This is a very well rounded beer. It reminded me of a home brew recipe I once tried called (John 1981). One of my top recommendations since it has the perfect balance of hops (flavor and smell) with the other smooth flavors. Perfect beer for BBQ and pizza.

4.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Drank from a bottle poured into a goblet on 9/14/2012

A = Nice orangish color, slightly cloudy. Nice head with medium retention. Good lacing.

S = HOPS...love the smell. Reminds me of freshly crushed hops from the garden. Definitely a good balance with the malts too. Did I say I love the smell?

T = Nice IPA taste. Not as bitter as the Sierra Nevada 2x IPA I reviewed recently. Not sure I'd have any indication that it was 9.2% ABV if I didn't read it on the bottle (might be a good one to give to a friend while I drink something lighter - just to mess with him).

M = Nice creamy mouthfeel. Didn't even have to take another taste just to check. No lingering bitterness either.

O = Me likey. Hate paying $10 for a 4-pack, but you (usually) get what you pay for. Will come back to this one again!

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

A: Medium hazy dark amber with a good bit of head that lingered for a while.

S: So many hops, it's fantastic.

T: Again the hops here are fantastic, with a bit of spices on the sides and surprisingly the finish wasn't very dry at all, it was just very smooth.

M: Medium body, lots of carbonation and a smooth feel.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I would love to find some more of this and keep it stocked all the time.

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a light coppery color with a small head and great lacing. It smells of citrus and somewhat grapefruit like. Obviously full of hops.

The flavor is quite interesting--I expected something very bitter like a Dogfish Head 90 min, but instead, it is very pleasing to the tongue. I don't think I've ever had an IPA that was balanced this well. In fact, this can hurt you--it tastes of less alcohol than a 5% beer, yet it is 9.2! Wow. It just shows that a good balance makes the best beer. I get a bit of residual bitterness, but nothing like a typical IPA. This is an impressive IPA for sure!
The mouthfeel is pleasant, and the carbonation is slightly low. The drinkability is by far greater than any other IPA I've had to include the last one I brewed.
Seek out to buy this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Fullers pint glass.

A: Pours a dark orange color with a finger white frothy head. Awesome lacing and lasting retention.

S: Floral hops just jump right out at you. Traces of tropical notes as well with grapefruit at the forefront.

T: Tastes just like it smell and the hops just attack the palate in a great way. Has a nice lasting bitter aftertaste that I just love.

M: Medium bodied with a very nice dry finish.

O: One of my favorite Double IPA's and a constant in my fridge when available in FL.

4.78/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer poured a somewhat cloudy amber orange. The aroma was indicative of a twice hopped (or dry hopped) beer. The taste is slightly bitter but overall sweet and finishes well. This is a very drinkable beer. This beer reminded me very much of Charlie Papazian's John 1981 from his book Microbrewed Adventures.

4.76/5  rDev +21.7%

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured a beautiful amber-orange color, almost the shade of iced tea that has watered down slightly. Very thin head dissipates leaving very small spots of lace behind.
Aroma-Citrus hops to the max like a Simcoe bomb, piney, fruity. A constant presence that does not let up. Mouthfeel is tart at first with the hops dominating but the sweet pale malt flavor washes in and out, Maris Otter maybe? Then the citrus hops come barreling 'round the corner and hit you again like a grapefruit to the forehead-beautiful. This IPA flat out rules and is a serious delight to my senses. The hops are intense, yet meld with the malt to give just enough body to please. Aroma is still pungent to the last drop. This is hands down one of the best IPA's I've had all year. This and Bear Republic's Racer 5 are at the top of the list. I could quaff this as the alcohol was cleverly hidden and not really detectable on my palate. Excellent brew!

471 IPA from Breckenridge Brewery