471 IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

Colorado, United States

Beer added by: mschofield on 08-09-2004

Reviews: 786 | Hads: 2,096
3.21/5  rDev -17.3%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass
copper in appearance with a minimal head and some lacing heading down the side

the sweet smell of hops hits you in the face as you stick your nose into it....cascade hops if im correct....what a great american ipa should smell like in my opinion

the taste to me was a bit malty and mis matched. after the hops in the smell i missed them in the taste...there was some bitterness but it was much more rounded out at first. it grew on me a bit as it went down but a bit roasty sometimes...a bit bitter others it worked around a bit to much

the feel of this like the taste seemed to be lost in a direction it didnt know where it was going...as with some small batch beers ive had this seems to be a bit to mixed up

i wouldnt say this is overly drinkable if you have some other decent options around...im glad i tried it and thats about it

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle did not have any bottling or best by date, served in a tulip glass.

Poured a thick hazy deep orange without any head. Smells of bitter piney hops much like a 90 Minute IPA. The body was incredibly thick and syrupy as expected. The flavor starts out sweet and quickly becomes bitter, but not quite as bitter as I'd expected it to be. Pine definitely dominates here, but a musty herbacious character is detectable after a while.

Drinkable and not really bad.

It seems like an OK clone of 90 Minute IPA. Since I live much closer to DFH than Breckenridge and actual 90 Minute IPA (or for that batter Two Hearted Ale) is much cheaper I see no reason to seek it out.

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours a cloudy orange/brown color with a 1.5 finger head, good carbonation and good lacing which stays on the glass until the end.

The smell is strong floral and citrus hops with pine, orange, mellon and grapefruit dominating.

The taste is too dominated by hops, none of the flavors in the smell come out; the taste is all hops. Oily hops are left on the tongue after swallowing.

The mouthfeel is thick and oily.

Overall this beer's taste does not live up to its appearance and smell; which is a shame because it looks and smells nice. If you are looking for a strait up hop bomb then give this a try.

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle Inspection: Little blurb about how happy they are to make this beer, but no useful information like a date, abv, ingredients, serving suggestion etc. etc.

Aroma: Hoppy as all get out. A bit grassy, but overall a nice citric pine hop aroma with notes of a big sugary base.

Appearance: Clear copper/amber glass with a big two finger head at the pour that dropped to a solid cover of multi-sized off white bubbles leaving behind impressive lace.

Flavor: Firm hop bitter taste but well supported by a malt base. Seems like a blend of hops, less citric in the taste, more noble and floral tastes. The alcohol gives a rough edge to the total taste and an almost perfume flavor that is a bit detracting. Overall the IBUs don’t strike me as extreme, but this is well within IPA territory. There is also a spice note in the end, almost a dried orange peel. Elusive

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel, very low carbonation, almost flat, somewhat creamy texture and a clean short finish.

Overall Impression: Not a bad beer, but the alcohol just isn’t well hidden and the hops seem a bit grassy. It’s scratching the IPA itch I had, but I’m only moderately enjoying finishing the bomber, it’s actually becoming a bit of a chore.

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a rusty amber color with hanging bubbles/sediment and a small cream colored head that dissipates quickly.

Alcohol comes through in the nose, big time. Big caramel malt aromas with surprisingly little hops coming through.

Big caramel malts come through, tons of malt. Citrus and grapefruits hops flavors come through lightly, but the shining star here is the malts. Which is a little unfortunate as this is an IIPA. Kind of a strange metallic finish.

Medium body with medium carbonation and what do you know? Medium mouthfeel.

Not a great IIPA, worth trying once but way too malty.

3.19/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Brilliantly clear golden-orange, with a bright white head that settles relatively quickly but leaves beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Earthy and resinous hop aroma with a faint generic malt background. Not quite what I was hoping for from a beer labeled as being "double hopped".

T: Fairly straightforward, the hops are definitely there throughout but without the depth of flavor I would expect from a double IPA. The malt flavors are well balanced, however, and there's just a bit of clean alcohol warmth.

M: Well carbonated without being over the top, there's a smooth vinous quality over the tongue - helped, no doubt, by the 9% alcohol content.

D: The hoppiness is a bit biting, but overall this is a very smooth beer, and at 9% ABV it could be trouble. Good thing it isn't sold in six-packs.

IMHO, the only thing that makes it a "double IPA" is the alcohol content. As an IPA it would probably receive slightly better marks.

3.18/5  rDev -18%

Poured a clear orange/amber with a 1" off-white head. The head fell to a cap and left some great lacing.

The nose was juicy citrus and pine. A little orange peel.

There was some tanginess like a pineapple flavor. Plenty of bitterness. Alcohol was very prominent.

The Small Batch 471 was a little thin and bland. Low carbonation. I was unfortunately not very impressed with this IPA. I really am surprised, I thought I was going to like it much more.

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Pours a hazy copper/orange color. A small bubbly white head forms and recedes in an instant. No lace is left behind.
S: Citrus and piny hops. An oily resin aroma. A light malty sweetness lingers on. Some alcohol.
T: Oily and soapy hops. A large bitterness of citrus and grapefruit hops. There is a malty sweetness that is nondescript and cloying.
M/D: A medium body that is low on carbonation. Very sticky and syrupy. The bitterness and alcohol keeps this from being a good sipping beer. It took me a while to finish this.

One of those bland overly bitter DIPA's. Nothing offensive if you like the style, but nothing I would recommend. There are much better examples of the style. That is coming from someone that is not a big fan of DIPA's.

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%

A bit cloudier than regular IPAs. big head, reddish color. orangy hop smell. Whoa, i dont like the taste too much. way too sour. a lot of alcohol evident too which should not be the case with a regular IPA in my opinion. some nice hops on the finish but overall not too great.

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a shaker. This double IPA poured a light amber/orange color with a very faint haze and a big, beige head that quickly faded. Some good, chunky lacing was left behind. The aroma was made up of notes of grapefruit, pine, and a mild caramel malt backbone. The flavor was very grassy and wheaty, with an upfront maltiness, followed by a quick bitter finish. Not exactly the hop bomb I was expecting. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with minimal carbonation. My overvall imperssion was that this was very drinkable, but with the abundance of good IPA’s and double IPA’s available, I would pass on this one.

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Cloudy golden amber with yeast in suspension and a slight white head with some sticky lacing on a tulip glass.

Sweet malt and caramel with floral hops in the background.

Bitter grapefruit dominates from entry long into the finish and sticks with the palate.

Full body with a slick texture and yeasty granules. Carbonation is modest in the dry beer with alcohol slightly less than anticipated.

I had this once previously and thought better of it at that time. However, today, it is just another beer and perhaps past its prime.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

Light copper orange with a sticky cream colored lasting head. Good clarity. Big resiny "C" hop aroma with some malt character to back it up. Ouch. Not the flavor I was expecting. Not nearly big enough for style. Everything is blanced well, but I say it needs to be picked up a notch. It does roll over the tounge with a good sensation. Sticky, pleasantly astringent. If this came from a brewpub, it would be very nice. From a production brewery trying a special line, I expect more.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

I poured this from a 1 pint 6 oz bomber.

Initially there was much activity in the pour, so I thought this was going to be overly loaded with carbonation. The head retention was typical of an IPA, but it left a quite lovely lace after several minutes. Looking through my glass into natural light, I notice this IPA is a bit hazier than others that I've tried.

Before I poured, I took a whiff into the bottle to get a preview of what it was going to smell like in my glass. I noticed this IPA smelled overwhelmingly piney due to the heavy hop presence. Nothing else really stood out.

In tasting this brew, the piney taste was most prevalent. It left a somewhat spicy aftertaste, though. This IPA is not very fruity to me at all.

This feels like a pretty dry IPA to me. Initially after I take a sip, I get cotton mouth. Shortly thereafter, my mouth waters from my taste buds being kicked from the piney sensation. As far as drinkability goes, I'm never too picky. Heck I've drank my own sock water before (I was a student at the USAF's SERE School).

This beer is okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it again, unless it's the only IPA I can find. If it's on tap in a local club or restaurant, I'd probably drink it again.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

12-ounce bottle with very tasteful silkscreened design. Crystalline golden-amber peach juice with slightly yellowed white creamy head. Heavily understated nose, with just a hint of caramelly grapefruit pith and a chemical smell bordering on sulfuric. A bit more pronounced flavor, with sugared grapefruit sections leading the way. In the middle there is a brief flash of a crystal malt sweetness, but this disappears quickly under a slightly ferrous mineral quality that weaves in between phases of finishing hop bitterness. Overall, however, this is a very muted taste for an IPA. The consistency of this beer is indeed syrupy, as the 9.2% abv would indicate. Its dextrinous quality is not unpleasant, but for a beer with such girth, I usually expect a severe blast of flavor. This one doesn't deliver, unfortunately. Glad to have tried this, but I'll shed no tears when it's gone.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

I was excited to find this beer in Tucson so I brought it home to Wisconsin. I tried it last night with my brother-in-law who was also excited.
A: Looked like a P.A. It seemed to fairly light with a big head.

S: Not alot there, you can pickup the hops but not much else

T: The front hops was nice, but seemed to finish almost metallic? Didn't care for that at all. I saw others got hop acid, but not me. Could've been my bottle

M: Just ok, maybe it was the turnoff of the metallic taste but the lingering flavor was metal.

D: At 9.2% I would try it again but not with as much excitement.
I think it has potential but maybe my bottle was bad?

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

This poured a nearly clear gold with light tan head. It smelled like copper hops with some apricot and light wheat malt. It tasted like rusty copper and dry bitter resin, with strong bready yeast and alcohol, and a bit of citrus. It was slightly thick with some carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a weird smell and flavor that didn't seem right for the style. It had good body, but it had strong alcohol flavor that made it tough to drink. The flavor was fairly dirty also (hops and malt weren't fresh or clean tasting). I'm not a fan.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

pours a pilsner pale straw color with hints of copper. a decent sized head leaves little lacing as it slowly recedes on this crystal clear brew which doesn't look like the tastiest of IPAs.

caramel malts overpower the zesty citrus hops and very little of a fresh-cut grass aroma is detected.

very east-coast IPA in flavor with caramel and toasty malts balancing the zesty citrus, herbal, and grassy hops. a juicy citrus aftertaste gives off a little alcohol heat, but not much harshness.

rather light bodied for a strong/double IPA with very little hop resin left on the palate. carbonation is suitable and aftertaste is a bit herbal.

well, I'm glad i tried it once, and I'm glad i found it in a 12oz serving rather than a 22oz. not off-putting, but not quite what I look for in my strong/double IPAs. balanced? kinda. tasty? kinda. something worth seeking out? unfortunately not.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

This is a review of an aged bottle from 07, the bottle was wrapped in foil (to keep the light out) and kept in a wine cooler set around 50 degrees F.

A: Nice burnt orange color with a small bit of particulate matter floating around (yeast probably).

S: Aging did not do good things to the smell of this beer. The alcohol comes through and overwhelms everything else. It smells like brandy or a beer that's been aged in a brandy barrel.

T: Again the alcohol has come through a ton and pretty much overwhelms everything else. If I were to blind taste test this I would probably guess it was a barleywine, and not a great one at that. There's maybe a tiny bit of hop bitterness once the alcohol taste fades, but not much else.

M: Still well carbonated and not too harsh, despite the alcohol flavors that come though. Along with color this in one of the strong points.

D: Alcohol really hurts the drinkability, but it's not undrinkable, I'd call it average. I'd rather drink this than a bud light but it's pretty strong so it's not the easiest to get down:

All in all this didn't fair all that well with aging. It's definitely interesting, but from what I remember of this beer fresh, and from reading my previous review, this hasn't gotten better and has probably gotten worse. None of the citrus or floral hops are there at all, most of what's left is a very strong alcohol flavor. A great beer when it's fresh but not one I'd age again.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured this undated 12 oz. brown bottle into an IPA glass. Served around 50F. Small head faded to nothing. Body was copper colored with a chill haze.

Smell was interesting. Floral and alcohol. Sugary. Piney. Aroma became sweeter and the alcohol odor increased as it warmed further.

Taste was pretty intense with hops, not bitterness exactly but a kind of oily harshness. Mineral flavor (?). Sweetness was more than I expected or wanted. Caramel, syrupy. The high alcohol content was well hidden. The two major elements (malts & hops) just didn't work well together.

Medium to full bodied. moderate carbonation present. Smoothness increased as it warmed. Mouthfeel was probably the best thing about this beer. This is not a beverage I will look for in the future.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

P-Nice looking 12 oz bottle

A-I did a rough pour and got 0 head

S-Avg at best, I was hoping for more

T-Nice hop up front, but fades way too fast. Not enough malt to balance this one out.

M-Way too watery for a DIPA.

D-Not bad

Notes: This might have knocked my socks off a few years ago, but this is my favorite style now, and with DIPAs like DFH 90, Dreadnaught, Ruination and Stoudts available, it just doesnt cut it as DIPA. Really lacking in the malt/body dept.

3.09/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a cloudy, orangish/brown in color. No head forms on the pour. Smell is hops, but there is a good amount of spice there as well. Can't quite put a finger on what spice it is, but it's definitely there. Taste is bittering hops. There is quite a lot of malts to support these hops. Some very floral tastes come through as well. A little thin on the mouthfeel.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz bottle, best by October 2, 2012, so it should be fresh. Served at around 40F.

Pours very lightly hazy golden amber with a one finger off-white head that recedes to a small bubbly cap and leaves some spotty lacing behind.

Aroma is apricot, very floral, somewhat grassy hops, a touch of citrus, alcohol, some sweet caramel malt as well. Good to very good strength.

Flavor pretty much mirrors the aroma, a lot of apricot, floral and grassy hops, hints of citrus, decent caramel malt backbone offers some sweetness, finishes with fair bitterness. Some solvent alcohol noted on the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, oily, sticky, mild carbonation.

OK DIPA. Too much apricot for me...just not my favorite flavor characteristic in IPAs and this has a lot of it. Fairly boozy, too.

3.07/5  rDev -20.9%

12oz bottle bought from Vintage Estates for $2.79. This used to be one of my favorite DIPAs so I thought I would give it an objective review.

Appearance (4): Clear, dark orange color with yellowish gold around the edges. A finger and a half of light cream colored head settles to a mostly covering layer of small and medium bubbles. There is some lacing but in random, sparing swaths around the glass.

Aroma (2): Surprisingly not that hoppy. Mostly just solvent and sweet, sweet caramel malt. There is a subtle, fresh pine scent but it is in the background.

Taste (3): More hoppy than the scent suggests. Apricots and plums on up front. A more bright, fruity taste in the middle but not quite citrusy. An unpleasant, sweet booziness in the finish. The caramel malt lingers where I'd like to taste the pine flavor from the nose. The bitterness is apparent in the finish and tempers the sweetness a bit (not enough though), but is not apparent throughout. After a few quick sips, the pine flavor starts to come out, sticking to my mouth with a resinous after taste just before the sweetness takes over (and then again when it subsides). The hop flavors are nice but underwhelming throughout, but it is overwhelmed by the malt backbone.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Medium to full bodied from the high residual sweetness and medium carbonation. It drinks pretty smoothly despite the somewhat cloying sweetness.

Drinkability (4): I've drank several of these at a time, but only because I don't see it around or it was the best beer available. I don't think I'd drink more than one or two of these, but only because it's a little too sweet for my tastes currently and there are better DIPAs out there. It goes down easy for 9.2% even though it's somewhat apparent to a discerning palate (or nose more accurately).

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%

22 ounce bomber, no bottle dating but the case just arrived at my beverage store and was plucked out of the case before stocking, poured into a Brooklyn tulip snifter.

Appearance is nice, golden bright yellow, excellent clarity, snow white head with some good signs of lacing.

Aromas for style are muted. Faint citrusy hops, touches of herb and Thai basil. Sugar cookies, honey malt, some perfume like rose alcohol. No off esters or fusel character which is a plus for big beers, but the subdued hop character was disappointing.

Taste was pretty much all malt. Biscuit and honey malt, raw sugar, lemon meringue, touch of maple sap. Bitterness is not substantial enough for style, finishes semi-sweet in that regard. Alcohol is actually more muted in the flavor than that nose which is again a plus. Still the utter lack of hop punch is just disappointing.

Full bodied and semi sweet finish, not dry enough for what the style brings best.

Drinkable, but off the style so not a keeper.

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%

Lots of head and lacing. Nice frothiness. Clear and golden to the pour. The bouquet isn't overwhelmed by floral hoppiness or much of anything.

This was very malty for an imperial IPA: a good hop burst at the beginning with some lingering flavor, but it was restrained for the most part by carmel overtones and creaminess. There was a good citrus flavor and a hint of cinnamon. A good body and full flavor throughout the swig.

Very drinkable. Overall: Worth a try but don't search far and wide.

471 IPA from Breckenridge Brewery