Oatmeal Stout - Breckenridge Brewery

Colorado, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  4.95% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2001

Ratings: 1,416 | Reviews: 533

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Pours a deep, rich black coffee color. A thick, dark, cream colored sea foam chunky head sits on top. Awesome, sticky lacing. Smells of slightly roasted malts, semi-sweet chocolate, and a hint of oatmeal. The taste is really well-balanced. It's not too bitter, not too smokey. Hints of chocolate and roasted malts abound here. The mouthfeel is nearly perfect as it's not too sticky or rich, and not watery at all.

Overall, this is my favourite oatmeal stout, hands down. This beer really has everything I ask for: a great appearance, great taste, easy to drink, and low ABV. This beer is a staple in my fridge.

4.83/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great taste not too strong just right.

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

A: completely opaque black with a darker tan head that actually got lighter in color as the beer sat. The head stuck around through the drink and there was some decent lacing

S: not at all what I was expecting. This has a great nose as coffee does not overpower which is sometimes common with stouts. Rather there is a malty sweetness and an earthy, floral hop aroma. This smells awesome.

T: wow, starts with a malty sweetness that is quickly cut by the hoppy bitterness. This fades to a nutty biscuit flavor in the middle and the coffee notes don't come in till late. It ends with a subtly sweetness that is fruity in character. No real oatmeal character, that just helps to polish it all together.

M: very smooth and full-bodied. The reason oatmeal stouts are my favorite stouts is because the mouthfeel that the oats impart. It is thick and chewy but slick at the same time. This is great

D: Ill have another please. As far as oatmeal stouts goes... this is up there, way up there!

4.76/5  rDev +30.8%

Oatmeal enameled moon winks at me

4.67/5  rDev +28.3%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours black with a finger of tan head. Some lace.

S: What strikes me immediately is the amount of smoke, it's like somebody gave me a glass of Alaskan Smoked Porter. With that there's also a real inviting true caramel aspect, making for a great scent. Little coffee in there too.

T: Heavy dark chocolate, bit of creamed coffee. The chocolate is where it's at. Slightly sweet, any fan of real dark chocolate will love this.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, creamy. Pretty easy drinking.

D: This is chocolate city here. Like a dark chocolate bar transformed into a delicious beer. First Breckenridge made me a fan with their Vanilla Porter, now they've outdone themselves with this fantastic Oatmeal Stout. Stick with the dark dark beers with these guys. Super beer, it'll be a shame when my lone bottle of this is gone.

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

Upon opening some smoke lingers at the top of the bottle. Upon pouring, there is a nice 1 and a half finger creamy tan head that is fluffy. It retains really well and laces nicely. The body is dark brown. Looks pretty nice.

It smells like a nice malty roasted intertwining of tones. It smells sweet. I can smell some coffee here too.

This is a very very very pleasing beer to drink. It has a bitter front to it that is very very enjoyable for me. What I want in a beer is a robust strong character and this one has it. It does have some sweet roasty malty tone flavors that come through with the coffee bitterness as it goes down the palate. As Im writing, I can see the lacing that is coming through really nicely. The coffee bitterness along with the other flavors that come through make this a great great beer to drink if you like stouts especially oatmeal stouts.

The mouthfeel is really good because its not too carbonated and it works well with the taste.

Overall, I have found another beer I really enjoy. I will definitely have this again. It reminds me of Samuel Smith oatmeal stout. If you like porters or stouts this will trip your trigger.

4.64/5  rDev +27.5%

Had on nitro-tap at the brewery.

On a recent visit I made the time to visit the brewery and I'm glad I did. I sampled several beers but the stout stood out. I had a pint from the nitro tap and wow was it good!

Very good beer, smooth on taste, very easy to drink and went well with my ribs. The nitro tap also made for a great show inside my glass. The staff at the bar (Stewart) was amazing, very friendly and I had a ball.

4.64/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Breckenridge brewery are masters at dark beers.This oatmeal stout needs to be served 55 degrees to enjoy the full potential,just like cheese.I first tried it cold from the fridge and the taste was minimal until it warmed up.Very drinkable and sophisticated.Try there other dark beers,you can't go wrong.

4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

I picked this beer up as part of a Mix A Six after trying their Vanilla Porter, which I enjoyed very much.

A: Appearance is dark in color, passes the flashlight test. A creamy, caramel looking 1 inch head which quickly dissipates, but leaves some fine bubbles on top. (I am drinking this from a wine type glass, which is my stout glass. That is the reason for the faint head).

S: Smell is of dark chocolate notes and coffee with a hint of oats, very nice aroma.

T: The taste is consistent with the smell. Some sweetness at the front that follows with the dark chocolate notes in the middle. The beer ends with a slight coffee flavor and a dry, bready type feel.

M: Mouth feel is nice and smooth, very drinkable as it is a dessert beer as far as I'm concerned.

O: Overall this is an excellent tasting, before bedtime beer that has a lot of flavor. If you are new to Oatmeal Stout or experienced in the brand, this is a definite go to!

4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout pours a deep chocolate brown from a dark brown 12oz glass bottle. Head goes to well over two fingers before going down to a thick carpet of fine foam and tons of lace of large size.

A yummy nose of coffee with whipped cream and chocolate is so inviting that I am having a hard time not diving immediately right into this thing. Palate is a supper rich coffee with lots of chocolate and sweet malts.

The hops bittering is in perfect balance with the sweet malts and the result is one of, if not the best domestic Oatmeal Stout I have ever had. Wow! is this stuff good.

4.54/5  rDev +24.7%

Wow! This beer has a great color, a beautiful white head, frothy and thick. The smell is beautifully sweet and perfect. The taste is amazing and smooth. The only problem with this beer that I have is that its so good, that I end up drinking a whole 6 pack everytime. Without a doubt one of the best American Oatmeal Stouts I've had in a while.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

I'm surprised that I've never tried this one. I usually gravitate towards oatmeal and milk stouts in the beer aisle. Huh.

A - Rich brown beer the color of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Syrup as it pours. Looks purely obsidian in the glass with no trace of light getting through. The head is thick, rich, pillowy, and dark brown like the color of chocolate milk made by a five year old (three parts chocolate, one part milk). Lacing is abundant and sticky, and head retention is outstanding. I've not seen a more beautiful stout in quite a while.

S - Toasted grains, dark roasted coffee beans, sausage smoke, and what smells like the black stuff that can be peeled off of your brat if you grill it too long. Blackened firewood. A hint of Count Chocula marshmallowy sweetness comes through on the nose, but this is predominately smoky and roasty.

T - Much more coffee-oriented than the nose (although coffee notes can be found there too). Rich black espresso made with Italian roast beans... the creaminess of the "crema" on a good pull of espresso is replicated here by the toasted oatmeal flavors. Deeply roasted grains and super-premium dark roast coffee are the two major players here, while a hint of bitter dark chocolate (almost like baker's chocolate) graces the finish.

M - Medium bodied and softly carbonated. The lack of overpowering weight or booze really lets the roasty flavors shine though without obstruction. Starts super-roasty and finishes with a hint of mesquite-like tang and vibrant coffee bitterness.

D - Could be a little too much on the bitter/dark chocolate/espresso side for me to really session, but this is a simply outstanding brew that deserves a purchase if only for the outstanding nose. Good damn beer!

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

I havent had a lot of oatmeal stouts to compare with but tasty nonetheless.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

A- Poured into a pint glass. This beer poured a dark brown almost black with a tan head and very good lacing.

S- Smelled of coffee and chocolate.

T- Tasted like dark chocolate and coffee. Also, had flavors of roasted malts with a mild smokey finish.

M- Not very thick, but very smooth.

O- I really enjoyed this stout. I liked that it was smooth and all the flavors blended together very well. One of my favorite stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

One of my very first oatmeal stout's. Very dark, coffee smell, but not over powering. For me, the finish was dry and that is how I like it. It has a low ABV 4.95% for a stout, but is perfect if you want a light oatmeal stout. The burnt dark chocolate is my favorite note in this beer.

4.49/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours almost black in color, tiny bit of a brown head that dissipated quickly, no head when I started drinking. Smells of chocolate, nuttiness. Taste is fantastic, very smooth, I did not smell much coffee but it has a bit of a coffee flavor, along with chocolate, there is a tiny bitterness on the back of my tongue near the end. Very impressive, well balanced stout. A must try

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

It has a completely opaque dark color. Small head, very little CO2.

It has a very roasty smell, almost like dark chocolate and espresso coffee, very strong. Delicious.

A little bitter, but delicious. You can definitely taste the oats. I am a fan of somewhat bitter beers, but this has a sweet hint to it. a definite must.

A burst of flavor when it sits in the mouth. Let every sip sit and taste the coffee and roasted oats. Not too hoppy.

I don't like the drinkability rating, what is good and what is bad? I think this is a beer to be enjoyed, you can maybe have 2 in one night. The complete opposite of a light beer.

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Like all Oatmeal Stouts I've had, this one looks beautiful in the glass. Completely black with absolutely no light coming through. It has a nice brown head that clings to the glass on the way down. I could smell chocolate, roasted malt, and a even some alcohol coming through. It was a nice chocolate and oat flavor at first followed by a nice hoppy finish. A very drinkable beer that I will look for again.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

Deep amber/near black in color with a short-lived caramel head. The aroma was roasted malt with coffee and chocolate undertones and a mild hop appearance. The flavor was big on roasted/coffee and dry in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth and the flavor lasted forever. It is an extremely drinkable stout and I can't wait for the next one.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

This beer pours an opaque black with a nice, thick tan head that settles slowly. Lacing is light tan, and clings to the glass everywhere the beer has been.

The stout has an extremely pleasant aroma of roasted malt, and an oaty sweetness reminiscent of breakfast.

The flavor reveals a pleasantly balanced roasted malt character, with sweetness and a faint dryness like burnt toast, as well as that additional oaty flavor in back.

Flavors are delivered by way of a wonderfully thick and syrupy mouthfeel, as well as an appropriately moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall, this beer is one to come back to frequently for those who seek a well-rounded oatmeal stout. ABV is fairly low, which aids drinkability.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: A Dark black with a thin tan-brown ½-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace.

S: Wonderful roasted malt aroma fills the nose. Hints of coffee and chocolate are also present. Every sniff of this brew is a potent as the last.

T: Roasted malt flavor with heavy chocolate and coffee overtones. Toffee and cocoa powder background. Alcohol is present but masked by the roasted malt goodness.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: Great Oatmeal Stout. A very well balanced and easily drinkable brew. I could drink this all day. One of the best oatmeal stouts I have ever had.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

Beautiful deep mahogany brown with ruby hues, nicely lacing head, much roastier and robust than expected. Lots of cream, coffee, almost burnt toast, and sweetness of caramel with a bit of breadiness. So smooth. I highly recommend this underrated oatmeal stout.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

I had this beer in the comfort of my home after a long day at work.

A-I poured it into a tall glass, it was dark black, thick.

S-The smells come at you right away, there is a distinct heavy chocolate smell. Once I smelled that it was hard to want to smell anything else.

T-The taste is great, it was hard for me to detect all the tastes going on, that was why I gave it a 4.5. I think once I smelt the chocolate my taste buds went crazy.

M- It is a thicker, heavy beer, with sweet taste.

O-Great beer to have every now an again, to change things up.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A great oatmeal stout. Very smoke like character reminded me of a rauchbier in some ways. Poured out to a black coffee color with a small brown colored head. Medium low carbonation. Lace was thick and vertical, unlike anything I've seen in a beer before. Aromas of coffee, caramel, toffee, smoked malts, roasted earth and grains dominated the nose and implied a treat was waiting in the glass. Taste was great; flavors of grain, malt and earth were in a cyclone of harmony, blending very well. My only qualm with this brew is in the mouthfeel. This was far too weak, lacking the thickness and depth of a good oatmeal stout. Still, it's not enough to take away from the overall enjoyment of this beer. High level of drinkability leads me to believe that this beer will find itself in my fridge again before too long. Recommended.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

A - Pitch black, about 90% opaque. The only reason I wouldn't rate appearance a 5.0 is because it didn't have much head.

S - Very grainy and malty smell.

T - Very toastie upfront, with a sharp malty aftertaste. Very slight hint of oatmeal, but I figure thats what accounts for the toastieness.

M - Very thick, full feel.

O - Overall, another great beer from Breckenridge. I have never been disappointed with this brewery.

Oatmeal Stout from Breckenridge Brewery