Oatmeal Stout - Breckenridge Brewery

good

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  4.95% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2001)
david131

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%

A- Black with just the smallest amount of head making it in around the edges. A nice, creamy off white head forms and leaves some excellent lacing.

S- Smoky, chocolate, coffee... pretty clean and roasty. A little oat aspect.

T- Same as the aroma with an emphasis on the oatiness.

M- Very smooth and creamy. Not overly heavy. About right for the ABV and style.

D- I am pretty impressed with this. For $2 a bomber, you can't beat this.

05-23-2008 01:56:15 | More by david131
saintwarrick

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Most oatmeal stouts are hit or miss with me. This beer pours a dark brown with a thick foamy tan head. Aroma is very sweet and candy-like, malt chocolate balls, light caramel and cookie biscuits all swell together. Taste is roasted chocolate flavors, like a usual stout; the oatmeal shows through in the smoothness, a little sweet but the hops and roasted flavors keep it from being too sweet.

The brew is a little thin at the end but still very drinkable. Probably second best oatmeal stout I have had behind Samuel Smith's.

05-20-2008 06:36:02 | More by saintwarrick
rye726

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Near back color with a silky dark tan head. Good lacing.

Big malty presence with a good amount of sweet oats.

Again a nice dark malt profile with an nice oaty flavor.

Medium body with good amount of carbonation. A good example of the style and one of Breckenridge's better brews.

05-08-2008 05:34:52 | More by rye726
unionturf

4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

Had on nitro-tap at the brewery.

On a recent visit I made the time to visit the brewery and I'm glad I did. I sampled several beers but the stout stood out. I had a pint from the nitro tap and wow was it good!

Very good beer, smooth on taste, very easy to drink and went well with my ribs. The nitro tap also made for a great show inside my glass. The staff at the bar (Stewart) was amazing, very friendly and I had a ball.

05-07-2008 06:36:26 | More by unionturf
Beefeater57

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance is a mostly black, with some dark brown around the edges. Head didn't retain for as long as I thought it would.

The smell was dry. I got a little bit of roasted smell with it, but it just had a dry smell to it, no flavors that I could clearly detect.

The dryness came in the taste, hop character hits the sides of my tongue in the finish. A sense a slight sense of coffee, but not that noticeable.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy, but not as heavy as a stout usually is. Somewhat thin for a stout, and the bitterness of the hops lingers in the mouth for a while.

I love stouts - they are one of my favorite styles, so this one somewhat disappointed me. It is decent but doesn't hold to the true nature of what oatmeal stouts are. I would drink it again, but wouldn't rank it with the better oatmeal stouts out there.

04-26-2008 01:11:13 | More by Beefeater57
demcorhip

Ontario (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

A nice looking oatmeal stout. Opaque black really doesnt let much for light through itself, even around the edges. Almost a two finger tan coloured head, almost tight, gives way to leave a thin collar. Leaves thin, intricate, sticky webs of lace.

Smells decent. Treacle, oats, some fruity esters of dark berries, some milk chocolate and a hints of roast anda whiff of smoke and an earthy leafiness.

Roasted malts and the dark berries come to the front in the taste, and along with the earthy hops mingle with an anise finish. Treacle and oats make a brief and minor appearance in the middle

Im enjoying this brew. Somewhat light bodied, and not quite as smooth and velvety as other examples of the style. Nice use of charred malt, while quite smooth in character the roasted elements of this brew make for the dominant element in this brew, and play very nicely with the fruity esters.

Fairly drinkable, and enjoyable, a solid example of the style and well worth trying. Would be a good choice when introducing newbies to the style. Glad i got to try this, and its likely something ill come back to at some point.

04-20-2008 21:45:10 | More by demcorhip
StrangeBrew1

Kentucky

4.68/5  rDev +28.6%

Breckenridge brewery are masters at dark beers.This oatmeal stout needs to be served 55 degrees to enjoy the full potential,just like cheese.I first tried it cold from the fridge and the taste was minimal until it warmed up.Very drinkable and sophisticated.Try there other dark beers,you can't go wrong.

03-30-2008 05:36:40 | More by StrangeBrew1
sleazo

A_Pours a very dark black with not too much of a head which settles into a decent slick. Not much lace.

S_The nose is slightly sweet and mostly roasted malt, with a bit of heat.

T_Slightly acidic on first sip which is followed by a smooth roasted malt followthrough. Not much too it, but not too bad. Hints and I do mean hints of coffee but this is mostly a roasted affair.

M_Medium bodied without much of the oatmeal feel.

D_Decent but not great oatmeal.

03-22-2008 02:06:49 | More by sleazo
wagenvolks

3.93/5  rDev +8%

A twelve-oz bottle pours a thin, albeit pitch black body into my Duvel chalice. Tipping the glass under my desk lamp reveals some mahogany and cola hues. The head quickly recedes to a central patch and outer ring of burnt khaki foam. A quick swirl of the chalice, however, revives the head fourfold, leaving me quite satisfied with the appearance. Speaking of burnt, the aroma is rife with overly roasted malts, coffee, earthy hops, and a slight waft of smooth, creamy oats.

Flavor is decent, nothing too overpowering or offensive. There's a good bit of roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, and oat, but I was hoping that the smoothness of the oats would have pulled through a bit more. The mouthfeel helps out the flavor in a major way, with its medium-thick body, spot-on carbonation level, and excellent bitter chocolate/hop bite on the finish. I'd have this beer again; it delivered a nice complexity and flavor profile without being too overbearing.

03-18-2008 04:06:41 | More by wagenvolks
wardough

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +19%

What a great St. Patrick's Day!

A: This pours a dark, dark black into a snifter. No head whatsoever! What the hell happened to it.
S: Toasted malts, chocolate, burps (whoops, that was me), toffee. Yum.
T: Slight hop bitterness balances out a sweeter, malty goodness. Ah, nice. Sweet, but nicely balanced.
M: Smooth, as an oatmeal stout should be. Very low carbonation.
D: I could drink these all night!

All in all, a great beer to drink on a cool night. I'd definitely drink this again.

03-18-2008 03:12:48 | More by wardough
tiger88

Alabama

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Picked this up last weekend on the way back from Atlanta. It's a decent oatmeal stout. Not the best but pretty drinkable. I loved this on tap at the brewery several years and I'm glad to see them closed to Alabama. Not much of a head but it's tan-dark tan and doesn't hang around much. Typical drier taste as an oatmeal stout should. Opaque and dark brown, looks good in a glass. I enjoy this beer, especially if I'm looking for a stout that's not too heavy feeling.

03-13-2008 01:27:29 | More by tiger88
ccrida

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Silk-screened bomber depicting a moon wearing a nightcap, poured into a shaker, the oatmeal stout is pitch black with a decent, creamy tan head with lots of large bubbles interspersed that leaves a fair amount of lace.

Smell is a little strange, roasted nuts, metallic, graham cracker and chocolaty. I pulled this from the fridge about 20 mins before I opened it, but it still took a while to open up

Taste is pretty good, rich and fully roasted, semi-sweet caramel, a slight tang from the oats, some oakiness and a lingering dry, bitter, finish.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, thick and medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, the richness beckons slower sips (I'd have guessed the ABV was a good bit higher, even though there's really no alcohol taste, just thickness.

03-05-2008 00:12:34 | More by ccrida
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Pours cloudy black with deep dark brown head. Very appealing.

Nose is rich and full with roastyness and chocolate.

Palate is more of the same, thankfully. Big roasty flavors, sweet malt, and some hops in the balance but the focus is certainly on the smoooth roastyness. Very good.

Finish is medium and appetizing for the next sip.

03-03-2008 04:29:12 | More by yemenmocha
kbeals

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Beer pours out nearly black with a nice light brown head along with good lacing. Smells of coffee with a hint of chocolate. Taste is mostly dominated by a coffee taste with a burnt edge to it. Beer felt pretty good as it went down, a little thin but overall it wasn't bad. Definitely a drinkable beer.

03-03-2008 02:15:00 | More by kbeals
udubdawg

Kansas

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

arrives very dark brown, small tan head of sizeable bubbles that fizzed out quickly. Other than a couple spots, no lacing to speak of.
Aroma is heavily roasted, more than a hint of chocolate. Decent carmelized complexity behind the sweetness my nose is picking up.
Flavor exhibits a bit of coffee - strange that I didn't pick that right up in the aroma. Finishes light dry, pleasant bitterness above sweet chocolate malt.
I don't know how much of the malt bill is comprised of oats, but I'm not really impressed with the smoothness of this beer. It's relatively tasty, nothing offensive, but sort of grainy as the thin body moves across my tongue - not what I've come to expect from the style.
I could have a couple of these before I went looking for a better example of one of my favorite styles. Looks like plenty of people dig this one...that's cool, it's just not quite doing it for me.

03-02-2008 21:53:32 | More by udubdawg
Mdog

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Opaque black, brown head.

Smell: Coffee, mocha sweetness.

Taste: Roasted malt, coffee, moderate bitterness. A little sweetness in there too.

Mouthfeel: Not as creamy as some oatmeal stouts I've had.

Drinkability: If I was in the mood for a stout and this was the only one around, I'd have a few.

This was a decent oatmeal stout, I'd prefer a little more sweetness and creaminess with it, but it gets the job done.

02-28-2008 21:11:40 | More by Mdog
BeerImmediately

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Opaque black color, with virtually no head - decent lacing though.

Smell was pleasant. I noticed caramel maltiness, with light touch of dark chocolate, and molasses as it warmed.

Tasted like roasted espresso beans, with hint of chocolate sweetness that attempted to balance the bitterness.

Mouthfeel was a little thinner than I expected, but nice for the style.

Pretty tasty overall, and a nice drinkable brew. I could easily see myself going thru 3-4 in an evening.

02-16-2008 20:17:26 | More by BeerImmediately
pijiu

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep brown color with a thin layer of caramel head that clings to the glass.

S: Very weak scent. Faintly roasted coffee.

T: Acidic beginning with dark roasted flavor. Rounds into a bit of molasses with a raisin aftertaste. Taste is thin, and overpowered by the dryness.

M: Medium bodied with a sharpness on the tongue. Very mild carbonation.

D: Drinkable, but uninspiring.

Not bad, but definitely not one of my favorite stouts.

02-16-2008 00:27:07 | More by pijiu
prototypic

3.2/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance: Very dark, chocolaty brown color. Head is creamy, tan and about a finger and a half. Retention was on the short side, but a nice coat of lace lined the glass.

Smell: Coffee/espresso aromas come through a little heavier than other scents. Chocolate malts provide some depth. Slight toasted nut and vanilla aromas are present.

Taste: Espresso flavors dominate. Actually even has a slight burnt taste to it. Chocolate malts are notable and add a sweet factor. Toasted nut flavor is very faint.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied. I'd prefer more thickness for this kind of beer. Carbonation is okay. Drinkability is average given its average flavor. Overall, it's okay. Worth a try.

02-10-2008 02:47:58 | More by prototypic
BeerTruth

Connecticut

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Got this one from number1bum, thanks Josh!

12 oz. bottle poured into my trust Davidson Brothers nonic.

Pours a super dark molasses with a small half finger tan colored head that quickly dies down to a thin layer of almost nothing. The stickiness is pretty good though for yielding such a small head. Smell is a soapy chocolate malt with a faint toasted oat. Very slight caramel sweetness with a somewhat smoke barley as well. Just not the nose I enjoy in my Oatmeal Stouts. Taste starts off with some brown sugar and wheat bread. Some chocolate and caramel find their way on the tongue. Aftertaste weak smoked oatmeal with a tiny bit of cane sugar. Overall the flavors are pretty weak. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a much too watered down texture. A soft carbonation is present throughout. This beer lacks in just about all aspects. I wish I could say I liked it, but I didn't.

01-29-2008 00:54:02 | More by BeerTruth
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Big thanks to Kyoko for hauling this back from Nevada for me!

Pours an opaque black/brown, thick brown head forms, settles to a thick ring, very solid lacing and nice retention, looks like a stout! Smell is chocolate cereal and oats, roast, toffee, some smoke, bit of charred wood, roasty bitterness, nice. Taste is nice and roasty, chocolate, smoke, burnt raisins, some cereal and oatmeal smoothness, milk chocolate finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, low carbonation, pretty silky, creamy, pretty solid. Thanks Kyoko!

01-24-2008 02:46:59 | More by Viggo
KarlHungus

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

This beer pours a black color, with brown around the edges. The head is onw inch in height, and dark tan in color. It recedes slowly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma is of cream, vanilla, toffee, and roasted malt. The taste is like the aroma, but with the addition of a roasted malt bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a fine Oatmeal Stout. Nothing really "wows" me about it, but I would drink it again.

01-19-2008 19:52:02 | More by KarlHungus
DrJay

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

This pint was black with mahogany edges, covered by fine, dark tan foam. Good head retention and there was plenty of thick, solid foam covering the glass. The aroma was fairly mild, a bit of roast, chocolate and caramel. The flavour was dominated by sweet caramel maltiness, some toffee and milk chocolate. Bitterness was solid, but not quite up to the task of balancing the malt. There was also a pleasant, lingering roastiness and a kiss of hop flavour. Medium bodied with a bit of a creamy texture. Carbonation was a little aggressive in my serving, but the mouthfeel was decent overall. I'd definitely have another one of these if it was available, and it's certainly tasty, but I wouldn't go searching it out again.

01-17-2008 22:48:47 | More by DrJay
hopsleeroy

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured a black body with minimal white head that stuck around while drinking. Looks good and had a coffeeish aroma while smelling. The taste fit the smell-coffee and a little unsweetened chocolate. I enjoyed the taste but there was a mild burnt/roast flavor that gave a little unpleasant harshness on the finish. There were minimal hop aromas to speak of but the hop bitterness added to the burnt floavor of the coffee which increased the harsher flavor. Mouthfeel was fairly smooth and enjoyable. Overall, I thought this was a pretty decent beer but not extraordinary although I would drink it again.

01-17-2008 16:46:20 | More by hopsleeroy
JDV

2.93/5  rDev -19.5%

Nice rich coffee roastiness, with a hearty malty body, but I’m not able to taste any strong oatmeal presence. Fair amount of bitterness, and some burnt tastes. I liked the amount of carbonation, which was noticeably more than that of a Guinness or Boddington’s, and the thickness was good. Could use a touch of sweetness, I think, to balance out the taste. Overall, it wasn’t bad, but not quite what I was hoping for.

01-15-2008 22:17:45 | More by JDV