Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanilla Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,015 | Hads: 3,797

There is nothing better than a fresh brew. Had this at the Hard Rock Cafe in Denver!

Presentation - Tapped into pint glass

Appearance - Looks kind of like a darker Coca-Cola

Smell - Vanilla, vanilla, and more vanilla

Taste - Vanilla, milk, with a thick maltiness

Mouthfeel - Medium to heavy body with a somewhat creamy finish

Drinkability - Could drink these all day

Overall - a new fave (394 characters)

a wonderful beer. Dark brown with white/brown head. Smells of coffee and vanilla and malts. Taste just like it smells. The vanilla is so creamy and smooth. This beer hits the spot on a good day and has smooth feeling to it. Its drinkabilty is downright good for a six pack (272 characters)

This beer was recently recommended by a good friend. I'd tried and liked other Breckenridge beers before but not this one. An excellent vanilla porter. (152 characters)

Serving:12oz bottle

Appearance:Very dark in color almost black,2 finger head,off white foam,no carbonation at least that i can see.

Smell:Mild coffee,mild hints of vanilla

Taste:You get a coffee hit at first then as it settles you get that vaniila aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:Very light and a little sweet.

Drinkability:Really smooth

Notes:I have had vanilla porters in the past and i must say this is a very enjoyable vanilla porter from breckenridge.also i would like to add how it laces the glass. (500 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +39.8%

Wow! Thats all I want to say about this beer! Usually the flavored beers are aweful and really do not taste like what you would think they would. This beer, on the other hand is ultimately smoothe and refreshing! This is an amazing brew! Even if you do not like the flavored brews, this is the best I've ever had (312 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dark, smooth, a little sweet but not to much so. Great vanilla flavor with no unpleasant aftertaste that vanilla beers can give you. Best vanilla porter
around! (161 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +36.9%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Dark, dark brown, but not black.

This is a great tasting beer. The smell is fantastic also.

Very smooth, very little bitterness, but still not overly sweet.

Slight vanilla taste replaces the chocolate usually associated with porters.. but it isn't that strong... just different.

Not an overpowering coffee flavor, but it's there and very good.

I love this beer. My new favorite porter I think. Can't wait to try it on tap somewhere. (472 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +36.1%

Awesome beer! I'm a huge vanilla fan so consider my review as biased because I'm also a huge dark beer fan. The color is almost black, a very deep brown with a descent white head, considerable retention and lacing.

I'm getting a kick out of the stuff written on the label. It is remarkable and definitely "partakable". Approachable would be another good describer. An original mountain recipe?

Full of chocolate flavor that follows a very dominate sweet rich vanilla dominator. Very good porter. Not watery, a good roasted profile that includes dark chocolates and a subtle coffee profile. Hops play background music in earthy tones. The scent is very roasted and very vanilla. The body is nice, thick, and creamy. Drink ability? I've found a new favorite. (760 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

If you ever get a chance to try the Nitro version of this beer, jump on it! I rate it a perfect 5.0.

Even the CO2 bottle version is a perfect example of Porter. Dark but not heavy, richly malty and perfectly balanced with the hops. The vanilla is perfectly subtle; just enough to taste without overwhelming the taste of the beer. Kudos, Breckenridge. (351 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

I've tried to make a vanilla porter before, and it did not come out this good. Not anywhere close. This is what I was aiming for and I missed by a mile and a half.

This beer is excellent. It pours a perfect dark color, smells like real vanilla beans, and tastes like a perfect vanilla porter should. It's creamy and malty without being overpowering, the vanilla being a dominant flavor but with nary a trace of adjunct sugars or artificial flavors. If there are artificial flavors, they've done a bang-up job covering them up.

If you've never tried this vanilla porter, go do it. I guess if it has a flaw it would be the price, but nevermind that. It's worth it. (664 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +34.4%

Had this on-tap at Fox and Hound. They have $2.50 pints on Tuesday's and I am a huge fan of trying their different beers because of that. I love this beer, it is flat out delicious and it is a beer that I find myself ordering again and again at this time of year. It is a great source to wash down wings with.

You don't smell the vanilla as strongly as you taste it. It is quite surprising how strong the vanilla is, but in a good way. I really enjoy this beer. (462 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +34.4%

I'm getting ready to try and recreate a version of this beer in two weeks and I cannot wait! This beer is roasted malty vanilla goodness. this is one of those beers that I sip, then wait 15 minutes, then sip, then wait another 15 minutes... I usually drink this beer while drinking another beer. I recommend that when you get to the end of this beer, the last two ounces, warm it in your hands to almost room temp. It really comes full flavor then! (448 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's like drinking your dessert. Had the nitro pour at the Yard House. The head was deliciously thick and creamy, I think partly due to the nitro tap. Toasty malts and biscuits with a nice vanilla aroma, not too heavy on the vanilla. Excellent balance and a clean finish. (271 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +32.7%

I bought a sample pack from Breckenridge brewery simply for this beer alone. My brother always talked about this beer so I had to give it a try.

A- The appearance is similar to the color of an Irish Red. It is a darker red with a nice bubbly look to it.

S- The smell is a nice vanilla smell mixed with the smell of hops....couldnt wait to drink it.

T- Wow is all i can say about this beer. It immediately became one of my favorites. It almost tastes like melted vanilla ice cream mixed with beer.

M- Good crisp taste with one of the best after tastes I have ever had from beer.

Fantastic beer, A must buy. (610 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +32.7%

Have we learned anything at all with regards to vanilla -- It ain't plain!!

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is only the second porter beer I have tried in my entire lifetime. But the burning question is: Do I really need to look any further into the porter style? Yes, probably for the sake of Science, fairness and accurate testing. However, I don't think I need to go any further with regards to looking for porter Nirvana.

Nose: A pleasant, slightly coffee-like aroma.

Appearance: Black like the night and opaque, not allowing any light to pass through the glass. (It does have average or above head and lace retention.) But relax: This is not the Black Hole of beers. It just is not the golden lager you are used to.

And by the way, since we broached the subject, Do Not compare your favorite lager to porters. Don't do it. They are from differing styles. It would be like comparing Diana Ross to Diana Krall. Both women are tremendous singers, but from different genres. However, I like them both because they are excellent singers regardless of or even in spite of genre. Listening to both Diana Ross and Diana Krall doubles my bliss. And so does drinking lagers and porters. I like lagers, and, as it turns out, I like porters, too. It doubles my bliss. It happens that bliss has no limitations as to volume, and so you and I can experience exponential quauntities of bliss if only we permit ourselves the opportunity to branch out and sample from beer styles (and music genres) that are a diversion from our normal rut that we are in.

I stand on this soapbox today because, if I had not branched out, if I had gone my whole life thinking that these black porters were not for me, I would have missed out on a truly wonderful beer.

Taste: Delicious vanilla with the mild lingering of coffee, but in just the right proportions so that it does not over-stay its welcome.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy like vanilla milk shake. It really is beer, isn't it?

Drink: Terrific drinkability if not for the slightly bit of coffee aftertaste.

A marvelous beer!!! (2,065 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +32.1%

Dark brown transparent beer with a tan 1/2" head that doesn't last long.

Aroma doesn't jump out at you but does hint at what is to come --- a mouthfull of flavor. A well-balanced mix of sweetness matched with roasted malt and lots of real vanilla flavor. This beer reminds me of the Mexican Vanilla Ice cream that Amy's Ice Cream sales in Austin. I also think this beer is a good fit for the Porter style. Not too strong but definitely enough umph to make an impression.

Super-smooth mouthfeel and deceptively drinkable. I highly recommend this beer. Very unique and enjoyable if you are a vanilla fiend. (610 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +32.1%

Appearance

This beer is almost black but has really nice brown highlights within it. There isn't much head and if there is, it doesn't stick around very long. However you can see it stick to the sides on its way down.

Smell

Smells very roasty with a bit of chocolate in it. There is a very minute smell of hop floral coming off of it. Could have been the one I had.

Taste

Awesome! I've gotten people who don't drink dark beer to drink it and like it. I usually preface it with saying, imagine coffee, with chocolate and vanilla in it.

Mouthfeel

This beer pours a little bit thicker and it drinks the same way. It has a thicker texture, but I still have a hard time saying its "thick" or "full bodied" I guess it is full bodied, but I would say closer to a heavy medium.

Drinkability

I can drink a few of these but probably not a full night. The first one goes down smooth and easy. When its in your mouth it hits all the parts of the tongue and really surprises you. So its good, but not completely easy to do. It seems the more of it you drink the bitterness comes out.

I did a video review on my site if anyone is interested.

Mike

mikesbrewreview.com (1,166 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

What a nice beer. I had one of these for the first time at a bar in Philadelphia. I loved it right away. It is everything you love about a porter with the sweetness and creamy flavor of pure vanilla. I wasn't sure whether I was drinking a beer or having a vanilla float... Which I may try with this beer! I bet if you added some vanilla ice cream to this beer it would be damn good! Anyway unless your tongue is dead, you get really strong vanilla flavor and a smooth creamy mouthfeel. I thought it to be too sweet at first taste, more like a supper or after dinner beer, but three down, and they were still tasting great. I suggest trying this brew. (658 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +29.3%

Great smooth and sweet beverage.

I like it from start to finish.

The vanilla hits you twice.

This is definitely one for the likes of me who like their drink a bit sweet with no bitter tones.

I am very suprised by the relatively low rating this porter has recieved on this sight. I guess it just means more for me. (317 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Cola black appearance when poured into a pint glass with a small amount of head. Smells of roasted malts and vanilla. Vanilla hits you immediately but mellows out after a second or two, also note malty and brown sugar flavors too. To me its the perfect amount of vanilla, more present than most other vanilla porters but not overpowering. Very drinkable and I'd definetly get it again. (385 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +29%

Bought this at a local harris teeter

this is my second review

bought a sixer and figured i should drink the whole thing before e the review 12 oz bottles poured into a simple glass mug.

A. The look of the beer has never struck me as exceptional and i didn't expect an exceptional brew but i was surprised

S. The smell is rich and earthy i never really detected the vanilla but id imagine that if i could smell it then it would have to be an extract.

T. This is truly one of the best tasting beers i have ever had the pleasure of drinking and it far exceeded my expectations. the vanilla beans are very recognizable and i enjoy every kick to the taste buds this brew has provided me.

M. about what i would expect from this style maybe not as rich or creamy as the flavor would suggest but still pleasing and quite palatable if a bit thin.

D. this is a session beer if ever i have come across one. i could drink this the whole night through.

Note: as a strange thing i have noticed this beer tastes remarkably good chilled. i tend to lump stouts into the group of beers that taste better at around 60 degrees but this tastes amazing ice cold with the vanilla bean taste being distinguishable and delectable to the extreme. (1,228 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +28.4%

I was very impressed with this offering from Breckenridge Brewery. This being my first foray into any of there beers I was, per usual, a little skeptical. The beer poured a dark brown with a reasonable head. Initial aroma was of slight vanilla. After the first taste I was reeled in by the accessibility of this beer. I had expected a wallop of over the top vanilla taste, but what I got was so much more. The roasted flavor of the darkened malt came first followed by an ever so subtle wave of vanilla. I find that brewers sometimes miss the mark with flavored beers because they either don't include enough of the signature flavor, or they overpower you with it. This beer found a nice balance for both. My only regret is that they weren't able to capture a slightly higher abv. I think that would have added an additional characteristic to a very good beer. (860 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

This is a very pretty beer with a nice thick, creamy head. It's very dark in color and the maltiness is just right. There is only a minor bitterness in the aftertaste which makes it easy and smooth going down. It definitely smells of toasted malts, chocolate and vanilla. A very pleasant smell indeed! This porter makes a real nice adult float with vanilla bean ice cream. One of the best porters and adult floats that I have ever experienced. Will make this my signature go-to adult float beer. (495 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

One of my favorite out of the bottle brews. I have not seen it on tap in the Cincinnati area. Has a good mouthfeel with a rich head to tends to stay when poured. A pleasant malty rich taste with obviously strong Vanilla notes. Aroma matches the Vanilla taste....rich and malty. (282 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

Had this on tap at Cambridge House in Grand Rapids, MI.

A: Dark brown/black in color, very small head which quickly faded, lacing was thin but sticky, remained through the entire glass.

S: Vanilla, toasty caramel and roasted malt.

T: Sweet...sweet vanilla, caramel, coffee, molasses, roasted malts, toasty vanilla aftertaste.

M: Smooth....not much in the way of carbonation, this is a thick beer with alot of heavy body.

D: Pretty good...I drank 2 very fast but that was enough. It sure tastes good and is smooth on the mouth but it's filling! It's like dessert in a glass! (579 characters)

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery