Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanilla Porter Alström Bros

1.21/5  rDev -66.8%

I picked this up because I like vanilla, and I like porter. oops!

Pours rather typical for a porter, not quite as dark, with a little bitty head, and bubbles on the inside of the glass, like a coke.

Smell...Yuck! Smells like soured milk. This thing stunk so bad my wife smelled it six feet away!

Taste very sweet, very vanilla with a harsh, metallic aftertaste at first but starts to take on the spoiled milk taste as the drink progesses.

Mouthfeel is probobly the best thing this beer has going for it. It's soft and smooth enough, but I really wish this one was thin so it would go away.

Normally, I can choke anything down, but this one I had to pitch into the yard...I hope it doesn't kill the grass.

I really wanted to like this brew, maybe it was a bad bottle, but this one was just plain nasty. I've got 5 more, but I'm afraid to even open another. I"ll re-review, if I get the guts to try it again...with different results.

1.25/5  rDev -65.7%

1.35/5  rDev -62.9%

Awful all around for real. The First sip was just ok at best. No vanilla taste at all. Smell is like your breath after a night of heavy drinking. Poor idea with poor execution.

If you find this. Leave it sit where you found it. Pick up something else.

1.47/5  rDev -59.6%

12 brown bottle served in a nonic glass. Date on side of bottle wasn't notched out.

Mirky,mahogany with deep reddish hues. Tan head that loudly fizzled out like soda,no retention,not leaving any lacing.

Faint aromas,sweet candied carmell with a oakey/vanilla scent.

Earthy/woody with a mustyiness. Very sweet and syrupy/scorched malt. Very cola like with some dark fruitness,lots of vanilla (artifical extract-like) finishes on the dry side.

Meduim to thick bodied,syrupy with a bit a cloyingness. Was too sweet and syrupy to have any drinkability. could not finish this one. Was more like a cough syrup than a beer.

1.66/5  rDev -54.4%

12oz bottle pour into a pint glass

[Appearance]: Dark ruby/brown color with one finger head, lacing is decent.
[Smell]: Very strong vanilla extract, I could detect some hint of roastiness.
[Taste]: Strong vanilla flavor, yet very sweet. Argh! way too sweet for my taste.
[Mouthfeel]: Light to medium bodied.
[Drinkability]: Very harsh aftertaste, couldn't finish the rest of the porter.

1.67/5  rDev -54.1%

*review from notes on 3/3/10*

Pours a dark brown, coffee color leaving very little head with next to no retention. A bit of vanilla on the nose, but not a whole lot of aroma's to speak of. Taste is not at all what i expect from a porter - a hint of vanilla and some caramel / roasted malts, but the overwhelming flavor i get is a metallic sourness that is not appealing at all. Also very thin and lacking carbonation. I couldn't even make it through this whole bottle, the first true "drain pour" I've had.

I didn't find any kind of bottled on / best by date anywhere - perhaps it was a bad bottle? It was bought from a very reputable shop, properly stored. Im willing to give this another shot (if i come across this beer again) and adjust my review if warranted.

1.7/5  rDev -53.3%

pour: dark, mild head

smell: wheres the vanills, slight sower funk

taste: again, wheres the vanilla, now I get to taste the funk

mouthfeel: now i feel the funk, and not in a good way
Drinkability: not really

overall, do not waste your time much better beers for the money

1.75/5  rDev -51.9%

1.75/5  rDev -51.9%

1.8/5  rDev -50.5%

Damnit, I really want to like this beer. But I can't, it's just too sweet. Candy like sweet. Maybe if the brewery had stamped a date on the bottle or the case it came in then I could say "Self, this beer is past it's prime and therefore must not be reviewed" Shit fire boys!! If the brewery didn't think that freshness of their product was an issue then I must assume that they expect a few bad reviews of their product to come their way, so here goes:

Poured into a glass and formed a nice light tan head over a deep brown body, no staying power to the head yet light lacing remained to the end. The smell is sweet, sickeningly so with only a syrupy not quite vanilla odor. No evidence of hops or grain or malt or anything appetizing. The taste is slightly better and yet I feel as though I'm drinking Vanilla Coke's evil twin. Or Vanilla Pepsi's Mini-Me. And they wish to do me harm, They have assaulted my palate with flavors that no human should be subjected to. Yet, I shall persevere to the end, finishing this glass not knowing whether my mouth will taste again. Somewhere in there is a slight flowery taste, lost amidst proto-vanilla, hops maybe. Mouthfeel, well it feels like a porter, thinner than a stout and thicker than a good lager. Drinkability? No friggin' way. If the choice was between this and soda pop then the soda pop would be better choice. Hell, water'd be a better choice. Possibly the first drain pour I've ever encountered, or perhaps this would make an excellent birthday gift for my brother in law. Hmmmm...decisions, decisions.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery