1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

Vanilla PorterVanilla Porter

good

good

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanilla Porter Alström Bros

2.04/5  rDev -44%

2.05/5  rDev -43.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Dark chocolate color with blackberry colored highlights. Tan head of about one finger in size. Great lacing. Head turns into a film on top of the beer. Bubbles on top of varying degrees in size.

Aroma is burnt malts. Also vegetal. Cabbage and dirty diapers. Not pleasing at all. Stale and metallic. NO VANILLA at all.

Fruit flavors hit the tongue right off the bat. The burnt and roasted malt is kept to a minimum. Chalky and grainy. Very toasty, like burnt toast.

This was just a disaster. Besides the appearance, this was just about gross. I dont know what went wrong but something did. Chalky mouthfeel, dry finish. No good. I have five more of these to drink. Great!

2.1/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a small snifter. No head and no lacing after being poured. Very little carbonation almost flat. Vanilla flavor is all but lost. Very noticeable tinny, metal flavoring. Flat mouthfeel because of lack of carbonation. Very disappointing compared to other times I have had this brew. Flavor doesn't live up to its porter profile.

2.1/5  rDev -42.3%

The brown clarity of imitation vanilla makes its way into the glass. A pour from a good height somehow only yields the slightest amount of soap-bubble head. looks a bit thin, though clarity is good.
Then the memories of a childhood drug come flooding back.. I can't remember what it was, but one of those medicines I had to swallow... and images of my sister baking cookies with imitation vanilla extract... must have been almond cookies, I can smell the almonds... and the smoky mountain sweetener that my mom used to put in her coffee... the vanilla candles that I loved so much until I sniffed them so long I got a migraine as an 8-year-old... funny how aromas can conjure such vivid memories, more than any other sense.
The flavor and mouthfeel follow the profile and get worse... the overwhelming sweetness of the vanilla, but thin... is this imitation vanilla extract, simply carbonated and chilled? It has the body for this possibility, and only the faintest grain notes show it to be anything else.
I don't suppose I'll have this again. The sickly sweetness, almond notes, and cloying finish are bringing back that childhood migraine... I've had good vanilla beers, I love the flavor vanilla... but this just tastes cheap, imitative. Disappointing.

2.13/5  rDev -41.5%

Appearance -- Pours a dark amber hue with nearly no head. It coats the glass, but no lace apparent.

Smell -- Dark toast, vanilla extract, pancake syrup, cocoa powder. There is a general air of artificiality to the aroma.

Taste -- Toasted malt, hard water, grassy and earthy hops, vanilla extract, chocolate, and maple-flavored syrup. Lingering flavors of vanilla and cocoa.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with harsh carbonation. Chalky finish.

Drinkability -- This was...weird. So much of the flavor profile tasted fake: artificial vanilla, artificial maple, cheap chocolate. These things aside, I don't think the rest of the beer would be any better without them. It just doesn't come together. Pass on this one.

2.13/5  rDev -41.5%

This beer pours a dark brown color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes quickly into no lacing whatsoever. The aroma is of roasted malt and vanilla extract. The taste is similar. The vanilla flavor is very artificial, but there is just enough malt to keep in from tasting like I'm drinking a bottle of vanilla extract. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with almost no carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer that I will be avoiding in the future.

2.15/5  rDev -40.9%

arrives dark brown, with a little reddish color at the edges. Head is fizzy like that of a cola and quickly redeces.
I appreciate good vanilla, but if this was good vanilla it was ruined in the process. Very extract-y. Artificial almost. A light toasted malt aroma underneath - where's the roasted malt? Smells waaay too sweet. Let's give it a try...
Nope, not for me. Sweet, definitely qualifies as cloying. Rampant vnailla, light roasty and toasty malt flavors. Just a little bit drying. I keep thinking of creme soda although it isn't quite THAT sticky.
Thin (although as much as I dislike the flavor, I suppose it could be worse if it wasn't so thin!) too spiritzy, again reminiscent of a soft drink. I'll have great deal of trouble finishing this one, and won't order another anytime soon. Sure, you could pay me to drink this, but there are so many better examples out there...

2.17/5  rDev -40.4%

Another selection while at Gingerman, Dallas. Inky black appearance in my pint glass. Very thin head. Here's where it all goes downhill. Aroma? What aroma? It was barely perceptable. Don't you think this thing would be brimming with vanilla and chocolate malt? Couldn't detect anything at all. The taste was equally distressing. Only the slightest hint of vanilla and maybe a whiff of coffeee bean (moreso than vanilla bean). It tastes bland. This thing has no balls whatsoever. I even let it warm up and still nothing. I suppose its drinkable if you're into very mild, somewhat flavorless beer. A total snoozefest.

2.17/5  rDev -40.4%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into my Carlsberg pint glass. No freshness date is on the bottle.

A: The body is a dark, see-through brown. It is possibly the lightest porter I have ever seen. The tan head is pretty substantial, with a thick and creamy texture.

S: The smell is pretty powerful. The most prominent smells are obviously vanilla and a light cocoa, with not a trace of hops. If the smell is any indication, I think that the vanilla may be overdone a bit.

T: This is not a complex beer. Up front this beer packs a malty punch with an abundant vanilla flavor. Actually, it is not so much "malty" as it is rich, or "boozy" even. However, the sensation of drinking something with a lot of flavor quickly departs. There is something seriously flawed about this beer, because even if you wanted the taste to last, it somehow leaves the palate mid-sip. Needless to say, I wasn't all that fond of the strong vanilla and light malts. I say amp up the malt characteristics and pull back just the slightest amount on the vanilla beans.

M: It was smooth and medium to full bodied.

D: I did not finish this beer. Why? Because I didn't want to. It is way off, and I want a beer to reaffirm my faith in craft beer. It seriously lacks the "easy to drink" factor and that's why I want to give it a low score for its drinkability.

2.23/5  rDev -38.7%

Bottle: Poured a light black color porter with a medium bubbly head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of light vanilla with some distinctive sour notes. Taste was also dominated by sour notes and light vanilla. Body is really thin with some average carbonation. I don't know if this was infected but it really wasn't appealing to me.

2.23/5  rDev -38.7%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, typical mediocre Breckenridge label. In big words - "REMARKABLE," and "PARTAKABLE." Spot for bottled on date to be notched, but it isn't marked.

Appearance: Very dark brown with just a hint of red around the edges when held to light. Tan colored head has good retention.

Smell: Aroma is very sweet, and smells strongly of sugar and vanilla. The aroma has me worried this is going to be too sweet.

Taste: Confirmed - way too sweet for my tastes. This one is all vanilla and sugar, and no beer.

Overall impression: This might be good for someone who isn't a fan of beer, but to me it was just overly sweet, with nothing to balance it out. I won't be getting this one again.

2.23/5  rDev -38.7%

AP:Dark ruby. Thin brown head. Minimal lace.

AR: Vanilla Extact. Fudge. Lactose. Slight roast.

TST: Artificial and cloying. Take an average porter and dump a bunch of vanilla concentrate into it and walah. Some decent roasted tones surface every now and then but then succumb to the blanket of vanilla extract and sweet cloying malts

MF: Slightly syrupy. Very little carbonation. Medium-full body. Slick.

DK: This is a tough one. 12 ozs will be a feat in and of itself.

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

A- Poured a beautiful dark brown with a head which quickly dissappeared.

S- This brew has a nice vanilla aroma.

T- The vanilla was very apparent, however the taste was rather flat to me.

M- The mouthfeel was not too impressive.

D- I was really unimpressed with this beer especially since I'm a big fan of porters. There's a great chance that I won't have this beer again. Was unable to finish it.

Reviewed 7/5/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a black brown color, small head, brownish. Very strong coffee aroma, some chocolate. Not very strong aroma. Strong coffee taste, watery. Not a strong coffee aftertaste. Just a good porter taste. Slight vanilla taste. But very watery overall.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery