1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

Vanilla PorterVanilla Porter

good

good

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Ratings: 2,660 | Reviews: 935 | Show All Ratings:
Roderick

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

It poured dark with a thin tan head, a healthy look in fact
The smell was very mellow with just a hint of vanilla.
Taste was as the smell predicted with a wee bit of vanilla flavor but not enough distract from the taste of the beer, rather smooth.
I liked this Porter and would purchase it again on occasion.
Paid $6.99 for a growler refill at Liquor Barn Hurstbourne

Serving type: growler

01-14-2007 21:36:00 | More by Roderick
bgillespie

3.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A very dark brown/black. Cannot see through it at all. A thick tan head that dissipates to a lacing.

Smell: A hint of vanilla, coffee, not very strong.

Taste: What it lacks in smell, it makes up for in taste. A strong porter taste with a touch of vanilla. Similar to coffee.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and drinkable.

Overall: After a weak aroma, the taste saved the beer. A smooth, easily drinkable porter. Glad I had it.

04-16-2014 03:23:26 | More by bgillespie
arichter96

3.01/5  rDev -16.4%

I decided to try this beer as it sounded interesting from all the reviews. At first I wasn't a fan, but then it grew on me. It's quite smooth and has a hint of vanilla, nothing overpowering. I'm used to heartier beers, but this was pleasant to drink. It has a nice flavor. I would buy again if I needed something light and smooth to drink with a bit if flavor. I finished it quickly without noticing and wishing I had another as it went by so fast. It's not at the top of my list, but I did enjoy it enough to buy again.

03-18-2014 00:37:39 | More by arichter96
rangerred

Tennessee

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear deep, dark brow with a thick one finger light tan head. Extremely good head retention and it also has a nearly solid layer of lacing all the way around the glass.

Aroma has loads of vanilla along with caramel, some light roasted coffee and just a hint of smoke. Not bad but it is a little bit on the weak side.

Lots more vanilla in the flavor bordering on too much. There is almost a bit of a medicinal note to it that is off-putting. More lightly roasted coffee, caramel, and a bit of smoke. Mouthfeel is pretty light but silky with a pretty good dose of stickiness on the finish.

Overall, this beer is definitely drinkable and not bad but is just lacking that something to make it great. Glad I got to try it but not really something I will be seeking out.

02-17-2014 02:50:13 | More by rangerred
Sumo_Steve

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Color was a reddish brown with a small caramel head. Body was a bit thin food a porter. Initial flavor was thin with a slight vanilla tinge, with a strong coffee-like bitterness to follow. Thoroughly unremarkable. Too dry for the style and not nearly enough vanilla. Dry Dock makes a much better iteration of this beer.

02-15-2014 05:21:44 | More by Sumo_Steve
Richardbeerlover

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a nice dark brown with a half inch light brown head. Not much vanilla smell at first. After the beer warms up a little I could smell the vanilla. Not much vanilla taste at all. A very dry tasting beer with a dry finish. There is a slight sweet smell and taste. Was a bit disappointed in this one.

02-12-2014 00:39:24 | More by Richardbeerlover
jucifer1818

3.89/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: this one looks a bit too light....It looks more like a brown ale than a porter, or like a amber ale even! I don't get too hung up on appearance or styles, but it bothers me a bit. just a bit. 3.5

Smell: The smell is very faint, but pleasant. A almost sweet cream like smell is present, tho to pick it up I had to inhale a LOT. I suppose its a bit too weak for my tastes. 3.25

Taste: This is where the beer really arrives. This brew has the flavor of sweet vanilla cream, with a dry grainy malty sweetness. Almost like a mix of vanilla soda and very lightly roasted coffee. I think its fantastic. 4.25

Mouthfeel: This beer has a bit of sweetness to it, but also had enough carbonation to balance it out. It also has a grainy like feel that oddly enough I think works. 4

Overall: I've tried a lot of vanilla beers before. Some are good, but most are bad. This beer falls closer to the second category. It has al its eggs in the vanilla basket and that should not be a problem. If you picked up this beer, you do want vanilla, and it delivers it in spades. I would had preferred a deeper roast, a darker color, and a more porter-stout flavor, but for what I got I found it to be very nice. 3.75

02-07-2014 17:10:26 | More by jucifer1818
Jakeszetela

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 1 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I would say that i normally rate things on the generous side. Whether it is food or beer, I am more inclined to say, "eh it wasn't that bad i guess" even if it should be more critically rated. I preface with that, because that is really saying something when I rate this beer so poorly. I poured rather aggressively and I was absolutely shocked that it produced NO head. Not very little, not less than I'd prefer...NO HEAD. After a few seconds all that was left was a rootbeer-ish foam rim around the glass and that haze that sits in the middle of the glass. To put it in perspective, I literally had to look at the bottle and box to make sure I had not accidentally bought a fancy soda. The mouthfeel is very thin and extremely undercarbonated. The flavor hammers with vanilla and reminds me of a very tasty soda, but not a tasty beer.

02-01-2014 01:18:24 | More by Jakeszetela
Givemebeer

Vermont

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

A: ruby brown. A little lighter in color than a typical porter

S: vanilla.

T: at first, lightly roasty taste. Some coffee and chocolate. At the end the vanilla comes on strong and man is it nice.

M: medium bodied.

O: a great change of pace porter that has some of that roastiness but the body of a brown ale. The vanilla is great... A mainstay in my rotation when looking for a sessionable beer that's not a lighter beer.

01-24-2014 02:18:29 | More by Givemebeer
scotorum

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from the 12 oz, bottle into a Samuel Adams nonick.

a: Clear dark ruby with a finger thick offwhite head which receded quickly to thin surface foam and some spotty lacing.

s: Slight vanilla.

t: Vanilla over a medium dark malt base followed by hop bite on the sides of the tongue. Vanilla and smoke in the aftertaste.

m: Medium, very smooth.

o: Easy drinking and highly sessionable. First beer I have had which had vanilla in its title and actually delivered significant vanilla flavor. Since vanilla is a personal favorite flavor, I'm liking this porter a lot, although the more common porter smokliness or cold coffee or dark chocolate tones which are mostly absent or masked here are fine too.

01-17-2014 03:36:03 | More by scotorum
beergoot

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes dated July 8th, 2013. This was a guest beer at Phantom Canyon Brewing (Colorado Springs) while they were renovating the brewing facility and expanding their restaurant area.

Appearance: dark brown, mahogany; wispy head.

Smell: sweet, grainy scent; light vanilla note.

Taste: vanilla beans; mocha and cocoa; light caramel; slight hop bite at the finish.

Mouthfeel: medium body; glass-smooth; semi-dry.

Tastes better than it looks (not that i looks weird, just lacking a decent head). Flavorful, balanced; decent.

01-08-2014 21:14:13 | More by beergoot
Rhf9120

Rhode Island

4.04/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a deep amber color with a three finger head the slowly recedes leaving little lacing. The beer smells heavily of malts with very little vanilla. The taste is very malty as well with almost not vanilla flavor, however as the beer warms it becomes sweeter and the vanilla more apparent. Good porter over all in my opinion.

01-07-2014 02:11:06 | More by Rhf9120
brureview

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in a stein at 45F. The beer poured a very dark chocolate color with a 1F head.

The aroma was malt and light vanilla- I was expecting more vanilla.

The carbonation is mild.

The taste is quite good, but unfortunatley, the aroma and MF do not complement it.
Some roasted malt, lemon, light vanilla( I was looking for more). A very good porter taste.

As the beer warms, there is a sweet vanilla and some cocoa.

The body is just right- medium light.

Overall, a very good porter. The taste is better at 50F+.

01-04-2014 03:20:51 | More by brureview
LambicPentameter

Kansas

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with no dating that I remember seeing on the bottle or label to indicate bottling date or freshness date. Poured into a 16 oz nonic style pint glass. I bought this six pack after a sales rep was handing out Breckenridge samples at the liquor store I stopped by on my way home from work.

Appearance - An aggressive pour yields barely a finger of cocoa powder colored head, and it is very sparse/thin looking. The head has dissipates almost immediately, reducing to a rim of foam around the edge of the glass and a sparse mottling of film before I can even pick up the glass after rinsing the bottle out to recycle. Body is also a bit thin looking, overall a dark walnut brown, but with some translucence and lighter brown, reminding me of cola with less carbonation. Lacing is almost nonexistent.

Smell - Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt and lots of sweet vanilla characteristic are the three aromatic pillars of this brew with the vanilla being the dominant profile. When I sampled it at the liquor store, I remembered it being more rich, with more chocolate and coffee notes, but that is sadly missing. I can't help but wonder if my sample was influenced by the regular oatmeal stout that I had tried moments before.

Taste - Again, vanilla is the star, giving the beer somewhat the impression of mild coffee with too much cream and sugar. Bittersweet and roasted notes in the form of chocolate and oats are also present, but take a back seat to the sweetness. I honestly like it, but wish there was a bit more bitterness to counter the sweetness. Roasted malt is present, but subdued.

Mouthfeel - This is where this beer falls down the most, imho. Much too thin and lacking in body for a porter. Carbonation is also low, and the aftertaste is slightly sweet.

Overall, it's a beer that drinks pretty well as a whole, but doesn't really do anything amazing on any of the individual components. Definitely a case of the sum being better than the parts. I can't help wonder if Breckenridge would be well served to blend their oatmeal stout and vanilla porter to improve the body and balance between the sweet and bitter components.

12-31-2013 17:53:08 | More by LambicPentameter
OldManRJM

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer has a very dark color

Poured with very little head.

It has a somewhat strong aroma of coffee, which I like.

The initial taste is black coffee, the vanilla comes at the end.

It is not a bad beer, just would not be the first one that I will buy.

12-28-2013 20:26:05 | More by OldManRJM
Act25

3.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

One of a kind - yes. At first I found this un-remarkable, but in 2 more tries, I like it better.
It makes a great blend with a hoppy session beer like Boat Beer, improves both.
MY recommendation with this beer is to blend it.

EXCEPT for a dessert beer, or as part of a sweet series, I'd skip this one.

A - Pours a deep dark brown, with plenty of amber highlights. Decent head, tight, returns with a swirl and laces moderatly. Seems slightly thin.

S - When I got a fresh bottle I found the aroma satisfying and complex:
Nuts, sour malt, chocolate and of course vanilla, and a bit of bakery. (but do I want this much vanilla in my beer)?

T - The flavor answers the question: No, I dont want this much vanilla in my beer. Definitely let this warm and drink it like an after-dinner drink.
Follows the smell... flavors of coffee and roasted nuts upfront giving way to cola/caramel/vanilla sweetness with caramel and toffee. Surprisingly not cloying, but still too sweet and too vanilla for me.

M - Starts creamy but end too thin and sweet. Neat tingle and long finish. Grows on you.

D - "for someone with a sweet tooth." I'd not have more than one. I'd save for dessert only.

This brew does get better as it warms, serve at cellar (porter) temperature.

12-24-2013 23:57:54 | More by Act25
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown color gives up a fine foam of neatly organized bubbles.

The scent is dry and malty with an overtone of vanilla bean, which seems appropriate.

T huh e flavor is more vanilla forward with more dry qualities and less sweetness. There's a bit of barley with some chocolate malt.

The feel is easy enough but it is a bit sprite and watery. I would like it to be more thick for vanilla beer.

I really like this beer and think it's amongst the best beer to mix with chocolate and stouter ales.

12-23-2013 01:42:15 | More by KYGunner
Botulizard

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Black with a very thin, mocha-colored head that dissipates quickly, leaving lots of lacing.

S: Very malty with notes of spice and alcohol, which is odd considering the relatively low alcohol content of 4.7% abv. The titular vanilla doesn't quite come through from the smell alone.

T: Ah, there's the vanilla! It's nice and strong- compliments the dark maltiness quite well.

M: Smooth and thick with light carbonation.

O: Very good! I'll absolutely be drinking more of this.

12-12-2013 05:33:06 | More by Botulizard
scottadietrich

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Colorado definitely has given the world its fair share of small breweries so this was my first sample from Breckenridge Brewery. Overall, I was pleased. The vanilla smooths out the flavor a bit compared to standard porters out there. However, it wasn't very pronounced in the overall flavor as much as I might have hoped. Definitely not a bad choice for a porter, but I wasn't blown away. All said and done, I would buy/order this again but maybe not my top recommendation.

12-08-2013 22:45:24 | More by scottadietrich
mfnmbvp

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. It's been quite some time since I last had this year-round offering from Breckenridge, but I do remember liking it a bit, so my expectations are good.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours a light chocolate brown, with some red hues when held to the light. Just a few shades away from being black, but still opaque. One finger of creamy tan head with good staying power. Looks pretty good.

S - What jumped out at me initially was some earthy nuttiness, then cold dark coffee bean roast, mineral water, and a hint of chocolate. I'm really only getting the faintest impression of the vanilla on the nose, sadly.

T - The vanilla kicks in on the taste, right upfront, but it subsides quickly. Lightly bitter chocolate, mineral well water, & some sticky caramel malt.

M - Feel thin and watery with high carbonation. Sticky caramel coats the palate on the finish. Not bad, but it could stand to be a bit more full and less bloating.

Overall, not a horrible beer, but more a of a beginner's guide to the realm of more full-bodied and flavorful porters. Light, and approachable though, one could say. It was about what I expected it to be, if slightly underwhelming. Still, I would have it again if it was presented to me.

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter ---3.5/5

12-05-2013 19:48:59 | More by mfnmbvp
MadCat

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Nice dark brown color, not too much head, leaves some lacing

Smell: Some roasted malts, vanilla

Taste: Roasted malts, vanilla, chocolate, hints of light roast coffee, a little bit like cream soda in a porter. The porter flavors are a bit rough around the edges, and the vanilla isn't strong enough to round this out

Mouthfeel: Medium body, light to medium carbonation

Overall: Not bad, but not as good as I was hoping. If vanilla was stronger, and the flavor was more rounded, it would be better. Picked it up as part of a mixed six, so I won't have to worry about drinking more of these.

11-28-2013 01:41:25 | More by MadCat
Cheshire_Crew_Al

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: deep dark brown with a 1 cm head, not much lacing

S: pleasant sweet vanilla smell , kind of a sweet-sour smell to it that is also pleasant reminds me for some reason of an Old Bruin beer

T/M: very light on carbonation, beer is highly sessionable, there's a hint of that vanilla sweetness that lends the name, the maltiness follows, as it warms, however, it does not gain any further depth to the flavor, just a good dark porter with a touch of vanilla, I was expecting a bit more, the low alcohol content makes this a good choice if you want to enjoy several

O: Good, it does everything well but nothing exceptional, I am biased because I've been drinking 6-10% 'ers lately so this feels almost too light, but, in addition, it has a sort of one-note quality

11-19-2013 04:21:00 | More by Cheshire_Crew_Al
Jamey61

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a decent beer. Heard good things about this brewery which is what made me try it. Very smooth for a porter so it is a good introduction beer for someone who typically does not drink darker beers. Light vanilla smell. Was hoping for a more robust vanilla flavor but it is not there. Very drinkable and enjoyable but was hoping for a little more.

11-18-2013 23:28:13 | More by Jamey61
pkalix

4.44/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this because I heard many great things about this brewery. like Deschutes, and Russian River, and many others, there are some inherently GREAT breweries out there and I wanted to try this.
poured a very dark, but not totally black, ultra dark brown, with minimal head.
has a very 'rookie' smell to it although I must admit I know nothing of this brewery except I have searched for their other chocolate brew and could not find it... very nice, sweet, chocolate taste and smell, albeit subtle and subdued, but definitely makes an impact on the senses....
seriously disappointed that I found out (now) that it's ONLY 4.7% but oh well; I've been looking for relatives of this brew for awhile.... not bad...

11-17-2013 03:16:17 | More by pkalix
smptenor

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

It is not a bad beer at all but it is not great either. It's got a great finish of vanilla which makes me really like drinking this beer. It is an easy drinking beer and goes down really well. Definitely a session beer, I could easily drink a few of these in one session. I could not get a lot of flavors out of the smell but could definitely smell a hint of vanilla. It's an average beer but I would drink it again for sure. I liked it more because It is a colder November night and it definitely feels like a fall/winter kind of beer.

11-08-2013 00:03:08 | More by smptenor