Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanilla Porter Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

4.82/5  rDev +32.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Dark, dark brown, but not black.

This is a great tasting beer. The smell is fantastic also.

Very smooth, very little bitterness, but still not overly sweet.

Slight vanilla taste replaces the chocolate usually associated with porters.. but it isn't that strong... just different.

Not an overpowering coffee flavor, but it's there and very good.

I love this beer. My new favorite porter I think. Can't wait to try it on tap somewhere.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

A - When poured out it left a small half finger off whit head that fizzled out quickly. It looks black until held up to the light then you can see through this maroon brown beer. Not as dark as other porters I have had.

S - This beer is pleasant to smell with a sweet nuttiness, also some dark malt and coffee in the background.

T - The beginning bitterness followed buy nut and coffee. Throughout this one I get a vanilla more of that bitterness that is almost salty. I get a dark malt flavor as well. This is a really tasty beer for only being 4.7% abv.

M - The feel of this one is nice and smooth with the right amount of carbonation. Pleasant to drink.

O - This is a really nice Porter with a vanilla twist. Coming in tat 4.7% this one would be a nice session brew with a lot of good qualities for the lower abv. One I will come back to from time to time. Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.12/5  rDev -14.3%

Purchased while traveling through Colorado. 12 oz Bottle poured into a pint glass.

appearance: Dark brown; appears non-cloudy when held to the light. Medium carbonation - seems appropirate for style. Creamy dark white 1/2" head that held for about 5 minutes into the drink. Normal amount of lacing on the glass.

smell: Normal or average Porter nose; nutty with some coffee notes. I did NOT notice or pick up and vanilla notes or smells. No hop notes detected.

taste: Nice medium coffee and nutty flavor noted; slightly sweet in the begining with a devloping balance towards dry and slightly bitter towards the end. Again, I did NOT pick up any vanilla flavor. Otherwise, a nice balanced porter flavor.

mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation that is style-appropriate. I would have expected a little more mouthfeel; this beer is on the medium light side for body, but I really like it in general.

overall: Solid middle of the road porter in general, but for me, i didn't pick up the vanilla. I was kind of disapointed in that - but it was me and not the beer. Results may vary for others that try this beer.

comments: I'm looking forward to trying this on tap if I get a chance. Hopefully I'll pick up that vanilla flavor that I'm missing. All in all, an o.k. porter that I would try again.

3.02/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Thin brown pour to black in glass. Very light carbonation though there is a little white lacing on the edges.

S - Faint nutty with some chocolate notes. There is sweetness there as well but I can not tell if it is vanilla or not. It's nice but very subdued.

T - Vanilla/toffee with chocolate. The vanilla hits at the very front and and very end of with the chocolate and malt between. It's pleasant while it lasts but not strong. The problem comes that after a few sips the tastes fades away. I have a feeling this would be best enjoyed with food that resets the palate.

M - Light. For my taste it is too light but drinkable. A bit of soft carbonation is present as well.

O - It's a good choice for a session porter but the taste is forgettable even while drinking. I really wanted to like it but in the end I felt it was just "OK".

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%

Into a snifter.

A - A deep black with a thin tan head. Little retention/lacing.

S - Rich vanilla and nuts. The aroma is robust although I would like to see more vanilla rather than the big nutty presence. I get a touch of caramel.

T - The big tastes here are the nuts and coffee. Sadly the vanilla takes a back seat. There is a vanilla presence, although it is a heavy sweetness to follow.

M - A medium-minus body with light carbonation. Not bad, although I wish it had a bit more mass.

O - A feel there is a lack of vanilla in this "vanilla porter." The vanilla is only here to satisfy those with a sweet tooth. While I was once intrigued by this, I will not pursue it any further.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

This is much more than a dessert beer or night cap. I could actually imagine drinking this on a hot day or pairing it nicely with food. That's actually quite a feat for a darker beer.

Flavor is balanced between vanilla aroma and sweetness with dry roasted malt that has some burnt and even sour character. None of these flavors are particular lingering which is what makes it so drinkable and versatile.

Overall- A lovely beer for anytime that walks you through some complexity but none of the flavors are overpowering. This can be a good or bad thing for some but for me the multitude of flavors and versatility makes this one stand out.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery