Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

good

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanilla Porter Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is roasted malt and chocolate with just a touch of vanilla. The flavor is much different. The vanilla stands out with some chocolate to balance things out. I also get a little bit of roasted malt but it plays second fiddle to the vanilla and chocolate. I also get a little bit of nuttyness in the flavor. The aftertaste is strong vanilla. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Jul 22, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Being a native Coloradan, I have always loved the Breckenridge Brewery. Here I found their Porter and love that it contains vanilla adjuncts. Lets see what happens.

A: Typical looking porter, great deep and rich hue, telling you that it stands with the rest. Small head speaking of an easy drinker.

S: Dark malt is all I can see in my mind when smelling. Not overly strong, it does contain hints of vanilla and subtleties of hops. Good consistent smell.

T: Crispy, and malty. As the beer sits on your palette you find the vanilla.

M: Good refreshing feel in your mouth, it is not heavy, but light enough to be an easy drinker.

Overall I recommend this Porter. It is something though that my sweet lovin palette screams for. Loved this beer and will certainly order one next time in Denver!

Cheers!

chickenandrice, Jul 20, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a deep Black with almost no head whatsoever. Nose is dark chocolate malt and vanilla. Taste is more of the same, but the malt flavors don't seem to be doing anything really interesting. The vanilla flavor is nice, but it doesn't really work without any other interesting flavors or aromas. It is a sweet beer, almost cloyingly so. Very light body, way lighter than I like in a porter. Drinkable, but unimpressive overall.

Baraka, Jul 06, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -23.2%

A - Pours dark brown, with little head that dissipates quickly.

S - Where is the Vanilla? Roasted malts with perhaps a hint of vanilla.

T - Left me wondering where the flavor was... little to no vanilla and rather disappointing on the porter spectrum in and of itself.

M - Way lighter in body than one would expect

D - It's drinkable, not really a bad beer, but just left me wanting so much more... not one I plan to seek out in the future.

StoneBrewFanatic, Jul 04, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Pours dark brown with a slight red hue with a minimal off-white head. Maintains decent lacing throughout. The aroma is comprised of malt and vanilla. The flavor is of malt, cream, oatmeal, and vanilla. It was medium on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was a nice brew. The vanilla note was a very nice touch that toned down some of the sharper flavors present making it quite enjoyable. This one is worth a shot if you get the chance.

thagr81us, Jul 01, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

A= The pour is a nice dark amber color. Looks black at first but there are some very noticably highlights even in the thickest part of the tulip glass. The head is a slightly off white sort of brown cream color that falls fast to a skin on top of the glass. Average to spotty lacing.

S= The major odor that comes through is sweet vanilla. There is a lot of sweetness to it without much roast I would typically associate with a porter. Not much else going on. The vanilla odor is a little overpowering in the smell.

T= Much better than the smell. There is still a dominate vanilla flavor to it but not as much as the nose. The roast comes through more in the taste than the smell. It starts very sweet but by mid palate the sweetness subsides lending to a more typical porter taste. The finish however is a bit of a problem because it sort of has a waxy taste to it. The finish tastes like those wax lips you buy at the dollar store.

M= Good mouth on it nice and creamy.

D= I love porters with a passion and I love vanilla a lot.... this beer however is not how I would do it. Too much vanilla and the odd wax taste just doesn't do it for me. I'm happy I tried it so I can have a better grasp of how the flavors would work together but this beer isn't that great.

jjanega08, Jun 29, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

A - A black porteresque look with a head that was just a little bit ligher than I would have liked. Shines through ruby on the edges of the glass.

S - Roasted/burnt malts dominate. Little bit of chocolate in there. I'm looking for vanilla and I smell it, I think, barely, or maybe it's my imagination.

T - Dissapointing. I loved Victory at Sea, which made me want to try another vanilla porter, but this is nothing like that. I honestly don't taste vanilla, and I'm trying to. Other than that, it's mostly burnt malts that finishes a little bitter.

M - Little thin, medium carbonation, medium bodied.

D - Well, I guess you can drink it, but I'd rather have a nice "normal" porter than this. Not all that great, no desire to drink it again.

AgentZero, Jun 17, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

From 6/3/10 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark brown color with 1 inch of tan head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of vanilla and roasted malts, but lightly. Also some dark fruits. Would have liked the smell to be a little stronger.

t - Tastes of light vanilla, oak, and roasted malts.

m - Medium to full body and moderate carb. Very smooth and creamy.

d - An ok porter. Thought the smell was a little bit weak, but had a decent taste and a great feel to it. Might try again but wouldn't really seek out.

mdfb79, Jun 08, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug.

Appearance is deep brown with red highlights and a frothy one finger tan head that dissipated within a few minutes leaving tiny bits of lacing.

Smell is fairly light, but I do pick up an aroma of the vanilla, as well as roasted malt and a tiny bit of hops in the back.

Taste certainly has more vanilla in it than the smell giving a pleasant sweetness along with the malt and a fairly mild hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel seems pretty light for the style to me, not bad but I would have preferred a little more thickness.

Drinkability is good overall. Its easy drinking and pretty tasty. Certainly one of the better vanilla flavored beers I've had so far. In terms of Porters, I've had better but its still worth a try and I would have it again.

MrStark, May 31, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Vanilla Porter pours almost black with a bit of red around the edges with a quarter inch of off-white head.

The smell has a distinct note of vanilla with roasted malt and touch of hops.

The taste is dominated by the roasted malt, again with a distinct vanilla note.

Mouthfeel is excellent - Smooth, medium to full-bodied, you want to let it wander about your tongue for a while.

Drinkability is excellent. This is a very nice beer. Try it if you find it.

slyke, May 23, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured on-tap from one of our local pubs in Punta Gorda, Florida.

A - A dark, ruby-red tinted beer with a very thin cream-colored head that vanished relatively quickly, like the head on a fountain soda.

S - A definite whiff of vanilla on first sniff, with an almost chocolaty note that swiftly follows. Very promising.

T - I definitely notice more a smoky chocolate note than any taste of vanilla. The vanilla was definitely more pronounced in the nose than on the palate. A bit disappointing after the encouraging smell test.

M - An irritating amount of carbonation. I expected something smoother. Too much tingle and not enough body. Thin and a bit watery.

D - Despite its faults, it is paradoxically a very drinkable beer. If you don't mind a vanilla porter that is neither very vanilla-ish or very porter-ish, combined with a low alcohol percentage, then I believe a couple of pints of this could go down well some evening.

dragon0524, May 12, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -26%

Drank this from a imperial pint glass.

A- Pours dark brown in color. No head or lacing. Looks very thin.

S- Some slight hints of dark chocolate and some distant malts. There really isn't anything else going on here.

T- Weak roasted malts. Some fake vanilla and a slight suggestion of hops. I am really Really not feeling this one.

M- Very thin almost water like. Light carbonation with a weak finish.

D- I could drink this like water but there is a reason for that.

urwithdave, May 11, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

I'm not exactly partial to porters but when you throw in the vanilla this beer becomes so smooth you never want to stop drinking it.

I liked it so much that I immediately scoured the internet for vanilla porter recipes. A few months later my homebrewed concoction had finished maturing and was very good as well. I'm looking forward to buying / brewing more of this kind of beer.

pavyaz19, May 06, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a very dark tea brown, which is surprisingly clear. Off white whipped head patches and sticks to the glass sides. Smell is sweet, milk chocolatey malts. Very pleasant. Taste is a nice wash of mild malts with a definite vanilla backbone, that finishes with a mild bitterness. Nothing over-the-top about this beer, but i think it's tasty and I really like the infusion of vanilla. It's like a candy bar beershake.

sixerofelixir, Apr 28, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a dark brown, clear when held up to the light, and a nice cap of tan head remains throughout the drink; leaving behind a nice coating of foam on the glass.

Smell is sweet vanilla and some mild underlying chocolate and roasted malt character.

The vanilla, rather than enhancing the taste, seems simply to tone the beer down. I think that this brew could do without the sweet candy-like tones that the vanilla offers.

This was very thin and watery in the mouth.

Not a bad beer, but far from a favorite. I don't think I'll seek this one out in the future.

donteatpoop, Apr 21, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours very dark brown with almost no head.

Has a sweet caramel smell, with only slight notes of vanilla...nothing overpowering.

Sweet taste, again, not overpowering, a bit malty...barely a hint of vanilla.

Very smooth on the palate with contrasting flavors duking it out. Mostly sweet, with only slight bitter deep in the finish, but very subdued.

Easy drinking, goes down smooth and makes you beg for another.

RickS95, Apr 20, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Appears a dark brown to black with a thin tan head that dissipates at an average rate and leaves next to no lacing.

Smells of coffee, vanilla and dark roasted malts. There is a slight hint of coffee as well, but nothing real strong in the aroma at all. The taste starts with sweetness from the vanilla and malts. A slight hint of chocolate and coffee hit in the middle, and the finish is slightly bitter.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and fairly smooth, but with an average amount of carbonation. This goes down fairly easily, doesn't kill you after one, and goes well with a nice dinner.

zimm421, Apr 17, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Bought this beer in a mix and match six pack and was excited to try it as I haven't had many vanilla porters before.

A - A nice looking beer with a dark brown color reminiscent of a good black coffee or coke. Head was a good two fingered tan froth, that retained quite well.

S - Good smell with chocolate and caramel malts, almost like a mocha caramel, with a overtone of sweet vanilla. Possibly a metallic undertone from hops.

T - More mild then expected. Initial taste speaks of good malt balance with vanilla flavor, but is followed by a cloyingly sweet "vanilla syrup" like experience, with the after taste being oddly bitter.

M- Good carbonation, and leaves mouth feeling a bit refreshed, but nothing extrodinary.

D - aftertaste and sweetness leaves me not wanting more.

nelso334, Apr 15, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Dark, not bad at all. Thin head is light brown. Not much lacing.

S- Smells of a sweet smokey scent.

T- Standard porter and then boom, artificial vanilla (or whatever tastes that is). Real sweet. Too much.

M- Thin but creamy.

D/O- Unfortunately, I don't think I'd want more than one of these. It's sad but I've had this a few times and I always want it to be good... it just never is. Would like to try other Vanilla Porters out there to compare. Any suggestions?

Duff27, Apr 15, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Breckenridge Brewery's Vanilla Porter is one of a kind. I purchased a 6 pack. I just drank it from the bottle. Mouthfull was full and heavy. Very drinkable. Has that Porter after taste. Good with a Burger and Fries. Dont taste the Vinilla. I will drink this beer again.

WilsonBenA, Apr 10, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A touch to clear for my taste. Dark brown with a deep Ruby tinge. Little tan head and no real lacing.

Very light hop presence with a very nice Smokey scent and some sort of a tangy smell as well (maybe the Bourbon vanilla beans).

Ooh much more chocolatey. Still Smokey with a vanilla finish. Hops are hiding in the corner.

Mouhfeel is a little thin and watery with lots of carbonation. Sweet finish.

Drinkable this is, though drink to many I probably would not.

Nice flavor, but falls kind of short everywhere else.

ryanonline, Apr 08, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Sadly, this beer is one of the better micro brewed porters I've had recently. The roasted malt character is full and rich with just a hint of vanilla and compared to the many watery-thin and diacetyl porters I've encountered so frequently it is good and drinkable.

However, I miss the thick black (not dark brown) porters that leave a lacing of head down the glass counting sips like the rings of a tree. I'm a cold weather dweller and these thin porters just don't do it. It's above average by comparison, but sub par on the grand scale.

Breckenridge to me is another brewery focusing predominately on the big IPA and Amber market and producing a generic porter.

danieldavies, Apr 03, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

A - Dark, though translucent leaving a minimal head. Moderate carbonation and good lacing.

S - Wonderful. Strong scent of vanilla bean and barley.

T - Remarkable. Honestly, I don't care for many porters, but this one is the ticket. The vanilla taste is totally organic; not synthetic whatsoever. The brew itself is simplistic and not overly sweet.

M - Full bodied, yet clean and dry leaving no oil slick to pool in the back of one's throat.

D - Outstanding. In fact, I could see myself drinking one too many of these.

In summary, although other reviewers may not have rated this brew all too high, I think that anyone that likes porters, even remotely, should try this immediately. This brew really is that good.

SimplySinister, Mar 29, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz pour into my Samuel Smith's imperial pint glass produces a light tan colored one finger head that leaves no lacing, only clusters of small bubbles. Body is dark brown, and has a dark ruby tint in the light. Surprisingly, I can see through it.

Aroma is of vanilla overtones, followed by a little roasted barley. Somewhat disappointing, this beer lacks the roasted barley, chocolate and coffee notes I expect from porters. Not a lot going on in the nose.

Taste is the same as the nose. While not bad at all, it's just not up to the task. This beer tastes one dimensional, relying on the vanilla to sustain it. It can't. There is not enough of a malt backbone to complement it. Consequently, it tastes thin, as is the mouthfeel. I'd call this on the very lighter side of medium body, it quickly fades off the tongue after swallowing.

Drinkability is quite high, but only because this is a lighter bodied, lower ABV porter. I can't say that I would reach for another of these, nor would I seek it out at my local store. Overall, a disappointment, since I'd heard good things about this brewery.

Bulkman, Mar 29, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

I thought this was good overall porter, delicate Vanilla Sweetness, not overpowering, roasted malt, not a lot of backbone or hop balance, but good enough to get again, rather flat looking light tan head. I like my Porters Thick and Chewy, but I guess this was expected adding something sweet to a Porter. A touch of smoke would have made this a higher rating. Still another solid beer from Breckenridge.

beergod1, Mar 27, 2010