Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanilla Porter Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

*On tap at The Mews, infamous for dirty tap lines.*

A: Light brown, a lot of red streaks shining through. Off-white head, leaving behind some lacing.

S: Chocolate-bready malts, and a decent amount of vanilla. Roasted barley in there.

T: Chocolate tootsie toll meets vanilla tootsie roll. Not overly sweet, and pretty balanced with all the flavors. The vanilla is not at all overwhelming, and has a rather clean taste.

M: Quite thin, not much going on in the carbonation department, disappointing.

O/D: It's really light, and packs a decent amount of flavor, but was hoping for something more. The amount of vanilla is just right for the mouthfeel and "heaviness" though.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

I was excited to try this beer. I don't know what it is about Vanilla, but when you throw it into anything, I get excited. Beer, even more excited. However, this beer leaves a lot to be desired.

Poured a dark brown with a slight head of brown which receded into a small amount of lacing around the glass.

Aroma is of roasted malts and vanilla. Not real vanilla, though. More like an extract. First sign of disappointment to come.

Taste is right away sweet. Imitation vanilla. Slowly following is the porter malt flavors. a bit of bitter coffee, as well.

Mouthfeel was very thin for a porter. Not what I was hoping for.

Overall, the beer was alright. Not horrible, but has a lot of work to do to be good.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%

A: pours a dark brown with ruby tints into an American shaker pint with a thin skim of light brown bubbles that leave a little lacing.

S: french vanilla coffee is probably the best way to describe the smell of this beer.

T: a bit more complexity in the taste. It starts with a smooth and sweet dark roasted malt, which is followed shortly by a mix of the vanilla bean and malt that leaves and brown sugar flavor lingering.

MF: a bit cloying, sweet and surprisingly over carbonated.

O: ok for a flavored porter, but nothing too amazing.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Tasted in March, reviewed from notes:

Pours dark brown (a bit murky, but darkness mostly covers it) with a thin tan head that disappears in awhile. Some thin lacing sticks.

The smell is of vanilla and chocolate.

Vanilla is prominent but with a firm chocolatey porterish backing - chocolate with very slight roast and some graininess. Not too sweet. Not exactly complex or robust.

Smooth, though a bit thin... thin side of medium with medium carbonation.

It is not too heavy on the vanilla - a good thing... a decent brew... Not one I would look for again, but had no problems going through a six-pack over a few days. I would not have mind it being more robust, however, especially for a winter seasonal.

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

12oz bottle into a Tulip

A: Black with ruby highlights. Finger tall foam head. Moderate lacing.

S: Vanilla and roasted malt all over. Not much else.

T: Dominated in vanilla. Some chocolate behind it. Typical burnt flavors of roasted malt are non-existent. Very sweet.

M: Thick, smooth. Doesn't stick in the mouth much.

D: A little sweet and heavy in the vanilla.

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz pint glass. No best by date on the bottle.
A) Pours a very dark brown. Non-transparent, but when held up to the light, a lot gets through turning the beer slightly redish. What little head there was faded quickly.
S) Smells like a typical porter, some roasted and caramel malts with a few drops of vanilla extract added to it. Not much of a hop character. Slightly bitter.
T) Very sweet upfront. Somewhat annoying, sharp sweetness lasts throughout the taste. Roasted malts come through in the middle with a pleasant, malty finish.
M) Medium body, low carbonation a bit watery.
O) Not great. Decent porter but I think the sweetness from the vanilla does more harm than good.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%

I paid a buck 59 for a 12oz bottle at Total Wine.

I must present a disclaimer. I had this after a 750ml of the very full bodied Rogue Double Porter.

This poured a dark brown with hint of ruby on the edges wth a 1 finger foamy tan head in the Sam Adams glass.

The smell was faint smoke.

Upon the first sip I was hit with vanilla that lasted throughout the middle and finish. Vanilla was the dominant flavor I was getting in this medium bodied example of a Porter.

Quite drinkable at 4.7%ABV and I'd very much enjoy 2 of these at a time.

I'll have to review again when I haven't had a huge Porter first.

At $1.59 for 12oz vs. $11.99 for a 750ml of the Rogue Double Porter, the Breckenridge is a good value in comparison but not nearly as big.

3.04/5  rDev -16.5%

On tap at U.S. Beer Company; poured into a plastic cup.

A: Pours at dark brown with no head.

S: Smells, nice and smooth. There is chocolate and coffee notes with a vanilla sweetness.

T: Unfortunately, this doesn't carry over into the flavour. The dark notes are far too weak and bland and the vanilla tastes very artificial.

D: Brought down by the disappointing flavours, but alcohol is hidden (only 4.7, however). Mouthfeel is watery.

Overall: Not the best porter I've ever had. The flavours are weak at best and fake tasting. Also, without any of that coffee bite that porters require, its a bit out of style.

Poured into a tulip (as I do for about 70% of my beers).

A: Dark, dark brown on the visual, but I got a tinge of ruby after closer inspection. The mild 1/2 finger beige head departed our dimension within seconds.

S: Coffee first, then malt, then finally vanilla. Was my nose off, or was this supposed to be a vanilla infused brew?

T: I definitely got the vanilla after a couple of sips or so... along with a very small amount of coffee, dark malt, and cocoa.

M: Kinda thin, but not offensively so. The lacing was substantial and carbonation was fine... to my palate anyway.... whatever that's worth.

O: I feel the negative reviews are unwarranted. At 4.7%, this was basically a dark session beer for the craft beer junky!

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Very dark brown in color with bubbles much like a soda, fair head that went away fairly quickly

S- Sweet vanilla with some hints of roastiness

T- Very sweet vanilla with some hints of roasty bitterness

M- Medium bodied and fairly carbonated

Overall- Very nice beer. I certainly welcome this beer to your rotation to mix up the standard porter- Very good vanilla taste.

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a good sized head. Color is just barely permeable.

Smell is a bit sweet, with a lager like quality to them.

First sip is a bit lighter than I expected it to be. There are characteristics of vanilla, a bit of sweetness, but there seems a bit of emptiness to it that I just don't like. From everything on the bottle and the reputation of the brewery, I was expecting a real heavy-hitter. Then again, this is a porter and not a stout. Maybe I'm confusing my categories when reviewing this. As a porter, I guess I can learn to accept this, but as a beer, I would expect better.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

No dating to be found on the bottle or label. Pours a dark brown body with some light red tint around the edges. Two-finger, creamy, tan head that retains well and leaves some solid lacing along the glass. Looks good.

Definite notice of toasted malt and vanilla in the aroma. Not overpowering in any way, but decent.

A little richer in the flavor department. Fairly well blended mix of the dark malt and vanilla compose the prominent base of the flavors. Just a hint of chocolate and some slight coffee notes blend in as well.

I find this to be tasty and drinkable. Good find.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle into a Fuller's branded imperial pint glass. It looked fantastic in this vessel. There was a beautiful tan colored head that quickly dissipated, leaving behind a nice light "cream" coating which clung to the top of my beverage. It's an inviting beer, for sure.

There isn't a whole lot going on in the olfactory department of this beer. Simply, it smells like a nice porter. Who doesn't love the smell of a good porter? Communists, that's who.

The best part of this beer (and the only thing any beer drinker actually cares about at the end of the day) is its taste. This is a damn good beer. It being a porter style, it is sweet with some light roasted flavors and a subtle, but nice vanilla note on the finish. The vanilla aspect of this beer is what makes me pour another glass, time after time. As I wrote previously, it's a subtle flavor but it comes alive once the beer has warmed a bit and is prominently featured on the finish. Once the sweeter malt flavors dissipate, you are left with a delicious vanilla aftertaste. Marvelous, really.

I recommend this beer. Try it for yourself, you won't regret it.

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours black with brown highlights, forms a two finger light creamy head with some nice rings of lacing forming on the glass.

Nice roasted notes intertwined with vanilla and a slight nuttiness, rather strong vanilla smell but also rather artificial, still pleasant though. I'd liken the smell to cream soda.

There's nothing going on here very little taste, slight roasted malt followed by a lot of drying acidity, no coffee, no chocolate or anything. The aroma is trying to trick me into thinking I also taste vanilla but I don't. Weak flavor but not unpleasant.

Smooth over the plate but awfully thin on the body, carbonation is adequate but I could use a bit more.

Average, maybe even a disappointing beer. If you like vanilla or cream soda it might be good but over all it is lacking as a porter, it seems to me that breckenridge beers are often a little thin in both body and flavor, this one is no exception. Nice bottle but probably wont come back to it.

4.79/5  rDev +31.6%

Awesome beer! I'm a huge vanilla fan so consider my review as biased because I'm also a huge dark beer fan. The color is almost black, a very deep brown with a descent white head, considerable retention and lacing.

I'm getting a kick out of the stuff written on the label. It is remarkable and definitely "partakable". Approachable would be another good describer. An original mountain recipe?

Full of chocolate flavor that follows a very dominate sweet rich vanilla dominator. Very good porter. Not watery, a good roasted profile that includes dark chocolates and a subtle coffee profile. Hops play background music in earthy tones. The scent is very roasted and very vanilla. The body is nice, thick, and creamy. Drink ability? I've found a new favorite.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Deep, dark brown and opaque. Almost black in appearance. Good suds, a little lace.

Aroma is definitely, unmistakably vanilla. And good!

Flavor goes straight to the vanilla. Creamy body, feels almost like a vanilla coke. The roastiness takes a back seat here, and likewise, I get no coffee tones. Still, this is a good-tasting porter, and a superb change of taste from the usual. Nice work!

3.75/5  rDev +3%

A new one to my area, 12 ounce bottle, w/o freshness/botleing date info

Pours darker brown with a dark ruby glow, when held to the light. Dark mocha head, cramy/frothy, staying , thicker collar and then well developed and thoroughly respectable fine lacing.

Vanilla (suprise) says the nostrils, with a hint of chocolate and caramel malting.

Smooth, velvety on the tongue and fairly sweet. Vanilla, clealry present but just short of overpowering. Milk chocolate, caramel, malt balls all picked up. Too sweet for sessionability, but not too sweet to enjoy this one again, perhaps with a piece of pie or chocolate dessert.

2.51/5  rDev -31%

Lighter hue than what I'm used to with porters. A lot of redness creeps in through the glass. Khaki brown head erodes quickly.

I don't get a strong vanilla scent but its presence is there just enough to be noticed. Probably not even beans either, just extract possibly. Sweet malty chocolate mainly but has some bitter burnt caramel in there as well.

The taste is where this one fails. The most noticeable character of this brew is that it's not bold enough and I keep getting a flat watery chocolate vanilla punch with no bitter finish or bite.

Mouthfeel is just average at best. I won't elaborate.

This beer just lacks any standout qualities. Doesn't feel authentic and true to the Porter category. Avoid.

2.53/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz botlle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.Poured at fridge temp.

A. Really dark amber colored clear body when held up to the light. Leaves a one finger dirty white head,That leaves behind a decent amount of lacing.Very carbonated.

S. Smells of bready malts and grains.Smells like sweetend Iced tea.Some vanilla smell,very faint.

T. Not much here to talk about,not very complex.Just some bready malts and some sweet vanilla.Some bittering hops at the end.

M. Kind of thin and very carbonated.

Overall This is not a well made beer in my opinion.I would not reccomend.

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tasted the vanilla which seemed to hold slightly in the back of your mouth after you took a sip - that was the best thing about this beer. The aftertaste was pretty strong and not very impressive. Maybe it's the Ale flavor that turns me away?

I was looking forward to trying the vanilla flavor but something tells me there is a better one out there.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked this up at Buy-Rite in Jersey City since I had never seen this anywhere else in my neck of the woods. Just like the Oatmeal Stout, this one is light in alcohol and went down just as easily. It also makes a great dessert beer, if you're looking for something that doesn't have a lot of "oomph" but still has enough taste like a good craft beer should.

Dark pour to this with just a hint of ruby at the edges. The head was fluffy, but short-lasting, and there was just a hint of lacing down my glass as I enjoyed this. The appearance, nose, and taste was similar to that of vanilla extract - light, uncarbonated, slightly sweet, and with the consistency of flat soda. There was a strong malty presence to this with just a hint of toffee and roasted notes. It didn't have any caramel-like stickiness to this in the aftertaste and just a hint of the sugar remained after I finished the bottle off.

I could have easily enjoyed another during my sitting, since I almost forgot that this was a beer. This won't knock anyone's socks off but after the long week I had, this hit the spot quite nicely. Those looking for a beer with lots of mouthfeel, depth, and various notes won't find much here but every now and then, it's great to pop something open and just marvel and how simply smooth and nicely crafted a beer can be. This certainly fits that bill!

3.53/5  rDev -3%

A dark brown but lighter than usual for the style. decent head but nothing too fantastic

S decent malty back bone with some caramel and a bit of metal. Pretty unimpressive

T roasted grain, caramel and lots of Vanilla I liked the taste a lot

M A bit thin to me but my wife loved it as she found it really refreshing, and it truly was. Maybe not what I expected but very good in it's own right

Overall a very good porter that lives up to it's name with lots of Vanilla. quite refreshing and good with food.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Had on tap at the BW3 in Broadview Heights OH. Poured into a pint glass a dark brown with little to no head . Unfortunately, like many bars, this was poured too cold, and I had to warm it before tasting.

Smell was muted, but combined toffee and coffee, with a faint amoutn of alcohol and a decent maltiness with faint yeast. NOt really gettnig the vanilla, however, in the smell.

Vanilla was present in the taste, however. This was a malty, if not bready brew, with notes of coffee and caramel. Improved in taste as it warmed.

Medium bodied, with very low bitterness.

I've had this before from the bottle and thought it to be an OK beer. It was definitely better on tap, but not tremendous.

4.04/5  rDev +11%

Received as another gift from Summit Distributor's, Anthony @ the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO. Second time reviewing this beer, but this time being sober enough to write about it. No B.O.D. on the 12 oz Bottle as I pour into a Snifter.

Appearance- Poured a Cherry, Dark Brown color with almost no head! Strange. The lace made a film around the glass and was an off white color.

Smell- Aroma was very nice with cappuccino, vanilla, and all sorts of coffees coming to the nose. This seemed a bit average for a porter, but will say it is Good.

Taste- This flavor in the Vanilla Porter is very standard, but had a few observations that made it unique from others. Has a Cappuccino, Espresso start and then a roasted nut flavor in the middle. The finish is extremely sweet with the vanilla coming into play. Just great!

Mouthfeel- Full Bodied, Full on Viscosity, and a great aftertaste! Also has a ton of carbonation with this creamy and smooth porter.

Overall- My first time having this was with my cousin Mark and it was a great session ale! I will have again but know it is only a 1 a night beer... Unless you are only drinking this one, you could probably enjoyed 2-3 but definitely need to share this 6-pk. Nice!

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a clear deep brown color with a smallish khaki colored head that settled into a light ring.

The aroma is of vanilla and some milk chocolate notes. There is a deep caramel aroma as well. Rather sweet nothing complex.

There is a light pumpernickle bready flavor but the vanilla and caramel are dominate. These flavors aren't super strong or cloying. Everything is quite light for a porter. The vanilla is appropriate but it could use more of a malt presence.

The feel is light to moderate with fizzy carbonation. Sweet on the palate with little bitter offset. Again not cloying, everything is quite light.

The vanilla and caramel are fine but the base porter needs some work, quite thin and needs some more malty presence. The beer is servicable.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery