Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanilla Porter Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured to a snifter and is a medium brown with ruby highlights. A medium pour produced a solid one finger off white head that had decent retention and very good lacing.

Smell: Vanilla slaps you in face but it was blended with sweet roasted malts and chocolate. Smelled great.

Taste: Vanilla slaps you again with roasted malts, cocoa, and finished with a little bitter coffee.

Mouthfeel: A little creamy, coats the mouth well, for a porter.

Overall: Me likey. But you had better like vanilla as it is its main flavor but not too overbearing for me. A nice change of pace beer.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: The beer is oh so wonderfully dark with a light caramel colored head that is about two inches thick. As the head thins out it does leave behind some decent lacing.

Aroma: Well nice roasted malts with of course notes of vanilla. From the hops side of things a solid roasting for them. Bits of dark bread in the nose as well.

Taste: The mouthfeel is fairly creamy with a little bite. Lots upon lots of vanilla at the start. Malts release a molasses sweetness but it's certainly not alot a good touch. Hops are once again roasted dark that add a slight floral note to it.

Notes: A very tasty and well brewed vanilla porter. A good find. Cheers.

3.69/5  rDev +1.4%

Dark brown with a thin tan head, light orange highlights with no retention or lacing. Vanilla and light chocolate aroma. Strong vanilla with roasted and dark chocolate notes and an overall strong sweetness. Sharp yet robust feel.

I will start by saying I am rather preferential to vanilla. That being said I did rather enjoy this beer although I will say I wasn’t sure whether this was brewed with vanilla or infused with vanilla. The vanilla is so strong it seems fairly artificial. However, I still liked it overall although the feel left something to be desired for a porter.

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

From the Breckenridge sampler pack. Pours a dark mahogany brown, nice little white frothy head to it. Aroma is of very faint vanilla. Taste is really thin, especially for the style which kind of ruins the mouthfeel for me. The vanilla isn't super present, but as the beer warms it shows more. Aftertaste is lackluster and doesn't just come together for me, too sloppy and watered down, and the vanilla feels out of place. The rest of the beers in the sampler pack were good, but I'd pass on this one.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Nice dark brown color, 1 finger head which disappears quickly but leaves some lacing

S- Getting loads of vanilla and some smoky/roasted notes...quite enjoyable

T- Getting some coffee flavors which is a nice surprise since i didn't get any of that in the nose. Vanilla is next and followed by the roasted flovors from the nose. The beer's flavors become more pronounced as it sits and is def a nice flavorful drink.

M- Def a little on the heavy side as you might expect from a porter, but it a smooth drink and rolls through the mouth.

O- Nice vanilla, coffee and roasted flavors...not the best i've every had but still very good. I will certainly have this again at some point.

it poured a watered down brown ale color with a very small off white head which quickly dissipated. I didn't really smell the vanilla bean till it warmed up. It was not really porter tasting and the vanilla was very weak I got just old cold coffee aromas. The body was more light to medium, but not very smooth. It was just an average beer all around. I will not drink this again.

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a mahogany brown with a one-finger coffee cream colored head. Aroma of vanilla beans, cream, hint of coffee and molasses. Really big vanilla bean flavor to start. Vanilla cake and melted ice cream like sweetness. Bit of caramel and a hint of roasted malts wrap this one up. This beer is vanilla or bust, but very enjoyable if that's in your wheelhouse.

3.42/5  rDev -6%

Beer poured from bottle into a Mug shaped glass

A - Beer poured with a latte colored head, which was about half a finger in height and dissipated rather quickly; body has a dark brown, with reddish hue colored body, opaque; well-carbonated; little lacing left behind

S - Light roasted malt nose; vanilla beans; perfume; licorice; floral, rose; light touch of sweet caramel

T - Vanilla bean, reminds me a bit of root beer float; sweet and bitter flavors; sweet at the beginning and just a mix of roasted malt flavors at the end; floral, rose; licorice

M - Has body, but light for a porter; I expected it to be a lot heavy; flat and not very bubbly; sweet vanilla aftertaste

D - Not a bad beer with some nice vanilla sweetness; low scores for flavor character but still has a nice balance of vanilla beans and roasted malt

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Pours a dark brown color with a decent size cream colored head. Does not leave much lacing.

There's a roasty aroma but not a lot and it leaves you wishing there was more. Not really smelling much vanilla on the aroma.

Get some vanilla at the front of the taste and it gives way to a darker roasted taste.

Good carbonation, and an average porter.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Purchased at Liquor Locker west side location in Evansville, IN. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my snifter.

A - Pours a reddish brown, and instantly reminded me of vanilla extract, don't know if that was intentional or not. Quickly receding head leaves small islands of lacing on the glass.

S - This is the weakest part of this beer for me. I was expecting a nice vanilla smell, but it was only faint. Everyone's smell is different I guess as some have remarked that it is quite evident. Also smell some roasted malt.

T - Definitely can taste the vanilla along with a roasted malt and minimal caramel flavor. I don't think I would want a stronger vanilla flavor.

M - Medium in body and carbonation. A little too thin.

A nice beer overall. Definitely unique which I crave. This is my first from breckenridge and I look forward to tasting more of their offerings.

2.38/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a dark mahogany with barely a finger of cream-colored head that recedes into a thin layer with no real lacing.

S: Some roasted malts at first followed by some creamy chocolate and a dash of vanilla. Not bad, but a bit muted overall.

T: Similar to the aroma, some roasted malts with a bit of a smoky flavor along with a little chocolate and some light vanilla flavors. Again, also a bit muted/bland.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation, it has a watery, spritzy feel to it.

O: Overall, not a very good beer. Tastes more like a watered down vanilla cola than a vanilla porter.I'd like to have much more presence from both the vanilla, roasted malts, and a creamier body.

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

A- Pours a dark, dark brown body with a solid white head that stays around for a while. Not quite black, but close enough. Good lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Notes of sweet roasted malts, caramel, and hints of vanilla bean.

T- Sweet malts up front, with a pleasant lingering vanilla finish. Not too overpowering, just enough to notice. Not very bitter.

M- Very creamy and full. Goes down very smooth.

D- Not too heavy, not too light. 3 or 4 maximum.

3.89/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz bottle pours a dark brown color with a creamy tan head. Retention is average and lacing minimal.

Nose is cereal grains, light chocolate and hints of vanilla. I seem to remember more vanilla aroma in this beer, but it has been quite some time since I last had it. Light on the roast and fruit...pretty clean overall.

Vanilla shows up much more in the flavor and really gives it a fresh bean flavor. I could see it being a bit much for some, there is more vanilla here than any other beer I have ever had. Malts are grainy with unsweetened chocolate. Lack of roast keeps this simplistic and one could argue one-dimensional. Little bit of dark bread here and hops are almost non-existent. I have always enjoyed this beer, but one is enough in a sitting. Unique and tasty, a good combination in my book.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a dark, yet see through, brown. Reminds me of a coke. Smells of sweet vanilla, a tad bit of coffee, and a bit of malt. Tasting however, i swear I catch a hint of cherry to go along with the vanilla dominated porter. The coffee is present, but very light. There is a slight malt flavor as well. I can catch some hops right on the tail end of the swallow. Starts out creamy, but that is soon dominated by carbonation. Very light mouthfeel. Lighter than I like, but drinkable. This is my first "vanilla" brew, and I enjoyed it. If anything, this makes me want to get some of the "better" vanilla brews. Over all I would drink this again, probably as a session beer.

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Had on tap at the Blind Tiger in New York City. Served in a pint glass. Review from notes.

Look: dark brown with red highlights, a thin beige head, not much retention or lacing. Looks good.

Smell: vanilla bean stands out with a bit of malt behind it but otherwise not much. As a fan of vanilla porters, the smell is inviting.

Taste: a bit of a let down from the smell. Tastes strongly of vanilla extract. The malt doesn't come through, unfortunately. The vanilla doesn't complement the base beer well and it seems to overpower it rather than add complexity.

Feel: a little too light for me, light carbonation. It would be very sessionable except by the time I'm halfway through this beer, I'm nursing it.

Overall: an okay vanilla porter, but its really lacking. More body, more roastiness, a creamier mouthfeel, and a few other things could help this beer improve. Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Decent head throughout, nothing special.

Smell is of a typical stout; roasted and slightly smokey. Mouthfeel is very good, I'd say. Nice carbonation and smooth going down. The vanilla aspect is lacking definitely. I can only detect a sweet stout taste, and just the slightest vanilla on the back end. Slightly disappointed in that since this is the first porter I've had with "vanilla" tasting notes. The vanilla reveals itself a little more once the beer warms up, but it's still underwhelming. This is a decent beer but once my six-pack is gone, I doubt I will get another.

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a warm glass

A: Very dark coffee like color

S: Mostly roast and a little vanilla aroma

T: There is big roast coffee like flavor and a ton of vanilla finish. A little too much for my liking.

M: Medium to light for a porter but still not bad

O: It like this style of beer and the vanilla is a little over powering but still a nice addition. I would drink this again.

3.35/5  rDev -8%

- from a 12 ounce bottle and from my notes
A - clear brown pour topped with a very short head.
S - I don't pick up much vanilla, just a whole load of sweet malts.
T - again I'm not finding much vanilla, but maybe I'm expecting too much. Certainly the malts make a good showing.
M - feels fairly smooth with a nice carbonated finish.
D - drinkable if you can get over the lack of the true vanilla experience.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass.

A - cola colored brown, ruby highlights. two inches of fluffy tan head. leaves a good amount of lacing all the way down the glass.

S - vanilla, duh. also roasted malts and a little bit of cocoa powder to give it some inviting sweetness.

T/M - rich, but subtle vanilla tones from start to finish. roasted, coffee-like malts and some cocoa to had some more sweetness . missing some hop flavor. rather simple flavors but Breckenridge did a nice job putting this one together. creamy, light bodied almost too light for my liking.

Overall I feel like this beer could be great with a little more body. I love vanilla and the flavors are right up my alley, but it's a bit light. I still enjoyed this nonetheless and it's very drinkable at 4.70% ABV.

4.29/5  rDev +17.9%

Bottle drank at Freshcraft in Denver, CO.

Pours a semi-clear dark brown color with a 1/2 inch tan head that fades to an oily film. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malts and vanilla beans. Taste is of dark roasted malts, vanilla cola, and vanilla extract. This beer has good carbonation with a soda-like crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good porter with some unique vanilla flavors. I would definitely get this one again. My first beer from Breckenridge.

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

I love good vanilla porters, so I was pretty excited to try this one.

A: It pours a dark cola-brown with about a half finger beige head. The head doesn't linger and there's little to no lacing.

S: Vanilla's the main in the nose, with a little coffee, and some roasted malts.

T: I know a lot of people knock this, but I actually think it's pretty good. The vanilla is good--very clearly an extract, but really adds to the other flavors of coffee and a smidge of cocoa. I definitely prefer real vanilla beans, but for a good, affordable beer, I like it. I probably wouldn't drink more than two in a night, though.

M: Good carbonation, there's a good oily layer on the tongue. Feels like a porter should.

O: I like it. I'm not sure there's much more I can say about it. If they used real vanilla beans I'd be all over it, but as it stands, I think it's pretty decent for a vanilla porter.

4.09/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer is delicious. It tastes like a dessert beer, maybe like an eclair with hops! The vanilla is light bot noticeable all the way through. The only criticism is a high level of carbonation which changes the mouthfeel, maybe it's different off tap.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

I was really excited to try this brew until I actually did and wasn't very fond of it. The pour was nice its had a deep dark brown color with a tan colored head. The smell of the beer was lacking something to me... The vanilla. Maybe it's in the taste... Nope, not there either. Where is the vanilla in this? I was so bummed that I wasn't able to get any of that flavor that I probably can't give that much of a legit review. The smell did have a roasted aroma to it though, and the taste had a burnt bitterness to it. The mouthfeel wasn't too thick or anything. Overall just really bummed, I hate when something like this fails to please.

2.81/5  rDev -22.8%

Man o man about this beer and not in a good way. In a I can't decide how to review this beer. So here is all my thoughts running through my head.

Nice brown color with a good white head. Doesn't have much longevity or trail markings, but still looks very nice. When the liquid enters your mouth you instantly know it's beer as the carbonation tingles and you have a familiar oily feel as it slides off your tongue and down the back of your throat. Good medium body as well.

Now here is where i'm conflicted. A porter is supposed to be a malty, hoppy or even a combination of both. This one seems to be vanilla extract. While porters can range from many flavors and still be brewed with that style, I feel it should at least maintain some of the styles flavor characteristics as well. I Think dial back on the vanilla and this would be a fantastic porter.

However if you like vanilla then you would love this beer.

3.41/5  rDev -6.3%

Came to my table a thick looking, nearly black and opaque color with a nice foamy off-white head.

I was slightly disappointed - a slightly muddled sweet aroma. As this was on tap and presumably fresh, I was expecting a little more aroma.

The begins with a solidly sweet flavor with a noticeable licorice flavor coming through. Surprisingly, there was not much roastiness evident and little bittersweet chocolate I have become to expect. The faint vanilla taste does complement the overall flavor.

The body is solidly medium with a slightly chewy mouthfeel. The licorice lingers on the palate a little too long for my taste. The carbonation was very restrained.

This was a rather unique porter, but not the style of porter I prefer. It is still well worth trying.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery