Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,590 | Reviews: 1,033
4.24/5  rDev +16.5%

optimator13 sensed a need for me to get off of the CANned AAL train and drink outside of my box, so he sent me a box of stouts and porters. Cool! I am not averse to any beer and I have to cop to not having reviewed a porter or a stout for some time. Good lookin' out, bro!

Oh, it smells yummy! Man, my aggro pours are netting me some big heads, like this two-finger gem - light-tan, good retention, sticky lacing as it settles. Nose smelled like a swirled soft-serve ice cream cone: chocolate and vanilla at the same time. I miss ice cream not out of intolerance but simply that I never seem to be able to catch Mister Softee as he tools through my neighborhood in the summer. I am going to practice running before the season begins so that I might actually catch him this year. Color was a deep brown with cola highlights. Mouthfeel was medium and it was in the mouth that I really caught the vanilla. Holy Milli Vanilli, Batman! I remember in HomeEc when we were told to use the extract flavorings VERY judiciously and this was what a batch of my kitchen's vanilla cookies tasted like. Back then, vanilla extract was purported to be alcoholic and so we were swigging it as well as shaking it into the dough. BIG vanilla flavors, both in the cookies and this beer. One of the things that I really dig about the porter style is its ability to take on adjunct flavors. This was like a vanilla milkshake more than a Porter. Dang, but it was really pleasant. Finish was mild, smooth, fairly sweet, but it was vanilla, not sugary sweet, which is what does me in every time. I would not want more than one or two, except as a dessert beer or as an ingredient in a dessert recipe.

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Nice Dark Color. medium but short lasting head. Looks like cola in the lighter areas. No carbonation reallly.

Smell: Faint malty smell + vanilla. Pleasant and light

Taste: Can definitely taste the vanilla and the malt. I found it quite nice. Maybe could use a little more hop.

Mouthfeel: Feels a little thick but smooth. Not much carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, but kind of reminds me of dessert overall. I'd definitely have another.

3.34/5  rDev -8.2%

A- pours very dark brown almost blackish with very little head. sits in my snifter very dark brown

S- nothing over powering. vanilla and lots of malt fill my nose

T- lots of vanila but not over top. sweet upfront with a finish that doesnt have any lingering tastes. light malty taste in the middle. im glad that the vanilla isnt like sipping vanilla exrract like some other vanilla beers ive had.

M- somewhat of a medium body. not too think that sits nicely on the tongue. medium carbonation.

D- definately a drinkable beer. as far as porters id reach for a bigger flavor like a baltic or imperial but nice for what it is.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

12oz bottle from Abe's of Beth., PA

A- Very thin- like cheap cola color. Quickly faded head. Minimal lacing.

S- Malty, not very sweet. Not a whole lot here.

T- Moderate flavor... I can't really pick up on the vanilla too much more than if I was drinking a SN stout. Reminds me of a quality macro. Kind of watery.

M- Thin and vanishing. Correct amount of carb

D- Just fine. This would be > than a BMC however < everything else.

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Moderate head that leaves decent lace on the glass although that diminishes as the tasting continues. Light brown color where light shines through easily.

Mildly earthy. No vanilla to the nose. Too mild for the style.

Strong cocoa flavor. Milk chocolate finish-- lightly sweet. A smooth beer with a rich body and a low carbonation. Very low hop presence. With vanilla being such a subtle flavor, I'm not embarrassed to say that I cannot find it in my tasting. Easy to quaff.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

A hazy brown not appealling really

S smelt like vanilla at least. very malty as well

T I could not get into this taste. half way between vanilla stout and normal ale.

M- nothing amazing just thin thin thin

D- never again it literally made me sick. not saying its bad but it made me sick and im done with it. anyone want 3 more of these?

Serving:12oz bottle

Appearance:Very dark in color almost black,2 finger head,off white foam,no carbonation at least that i can see.

Smell:Mild coffee,mild hints of vanilla

Taste:You get a coffee hit at first then as it settles you get that vaniila aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:Very light and a little sweet.

Drinkability:Really smooth

Notes:I have had vanilla porters in the past and i must say this is a very enjoyable vanilla porter from breckenridge.also i would like to add how it laces the glass.

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Reviewed on 2-3-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured a dark brew, one finger of foam, can't see much carbonation but it had a decent layer of froth

S - Dark roasted malts, fair amount of vanilla but not overpowering, hints of coffee, not much hop aroma present

T/M - Medium bodied, taste a good amount of vanilla and roasted malts, smoothed fairly easy

D - Very tasty porter, vanilla was the amount for me. Not too sweet just balanced right. I would get this brew again, very easy to have more than one of. I highly recommend this brew

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up a lone bottle on a whim from Julio's. I do enjoy vanilla porters and had high hopes for this. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - A nice deep dark brown with a small half a finger light tan head that faded at the usual rate not really leaving any side lacing but a nice solid cloud.

S - Nice roasty carmel burnt malts that dominate the aromas with just the slightest of vanilla and oak aroma.

T - Same burnt carmel flavors along with sweet malts. There is a slight bit of vanilla here and there but not too dominant unfortunately. Really wanted more vanilla with this.

M - Its good, nice carbonation here but it does taste just the slightest thin though.

D - This is quite nice on the mouth. Some really nice flavors working here. It comes off a bit burnt but this is a nice start. Needs a bit more vanilla though.

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%

A- Black but not oily black with a small tan, creamy head. Decent retention and some random webbing of lace.

S- Surprisingly faint. Overall I get a nice balance of vanilla bean, caramel malt and roast malt.

T- A nice vanilla bean presence but not a ton behind it. There is a decent caramel, cocoa and roast malt presence but the overall flavor feels just a bit thin. A bit of dark fruit.

MF- Creamy overall feel for a lighter body. Fairly high carbonation.

DB- Not the most flavorful or rich of porters, feels even thin compared to most porters. The vanilla bean is pretty much the only thing that carries this along.

2.62/5  rDev -28%

A: Pours with surprisingly little head - in fact, almost none. Dark brown, almost black, with a little lacing.

S: Fairly pedestrian - a good does of roasted malt with a hint of vanilla.

T: A little roasted malt, barely any vanilla, and some bitterness in the finish.

M: This is the brew's main problem - it's incredibly thin and watery. Medium amount of carbonation, but that doesn't help at all.

D: Very disappointing - almost no vanilla flavor and incredibly thin bodied.

3.22/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: Pours just slightly darker than cola with little in the way of head and carbonation.
Smell: Aroma is of dark and milk chocolate malts, roasted malts.
Taste: An even rush of lightly roasted malts balanced just enough by the hops, which present as mildly bitter (almost as in dark chocolate). The vanilla is detectable and is a bit reminiscent of that found in vanilla coke. However, here it feels as if it just comes along for the ride, rather than mesh in well with the remainder of the flavors.
Mouthfeel: I expected just a bit more fullness in texture and feel. Goes down smooth with a fairly clean aftertaste.
Drinkability: Pretty drinkable. Recommended for those not looking for a big roasted, bitter taste profile.

Overall- an 'ok' porter that offers a different twist with the vanilla aspect, though I think it could have been better utilized here. Nothing bad here.

3.42/5  rDev -6%

Man, this could've been great. A rich, full-bodied porter with decadent hints of vanilla and, ooh, maybe dark chocolate and caramel... Nah, it's more like flat Vanilla Coke.

The first time I had it I thought, "Hmm, not bad. Nice bold vanilla flavor. Clean and actually refreshing." I don't want to be drinking a (vanilla) porter for refreshment though (unless you're putting a scoop of ice cream on top). Had one or two more randomly over the next few weeks and was less impressed each time. The vanilla ends up just about tasting like an extract and the "porter" end of it has over-polished edges, perhaps drinking a hair too thin and clean for my taste (in porters).

The carbonation seems off right from the pour - short head and real fizzy with some big ugly bubbles floating around in there - nearly absent of lace as well. Dark burgundy color seems on. My carb theory gains weight through the over-abundance of the fizz in the feel, which seems to enhance the perception of a bitter roast and/or light sourness, but it also seems to decrease the density of the malt body.

Traces of chocolate and black malt dot what's largely a vanilla extravaganza - aroma and taste. Even cold from the fridge, the vanilla comes through strong. The balance isn't bad - after all, it's a Vanilla porter - some hints of caramel and roasty residue line the edges of said vanilla. Has more of a cupcake nuance to the malt than biscuit.

COULD be better. I think "brewpub" when drinking this (not a compliment).

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from 12 oz. brown bottle into mug. No bottle dating as far as I can tell.

A - Head is very fizzy and dissipates quickly. It looks more like a coke than a beer in the glass due to lack of lacing and no lasting head.

S - Can't really pull much from the aroma. Has a sweet roasty smell. Can't really pick up the vanilla..

T - It tastes okay.. I'm not really picking up any vanilla flavors(that I'm used to anyway..) and it has an unusual tangyness in the middle. Hops aren't very noticeable. You get a little vanilla in the aftertaste but it doesn't really mesh well with the other flavors.

M - Pretty thin with moderate carbonation. Works for the flavors present.

D - I was hoping this would be a really robust flavorful porter, but in the end I was disappointed. I'm not sure if its an old bottle or not but it doesn't really impress me.

3.29/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some notes of vanilla. Taste is strong of vanilla, up front and throughout, some mild hops are detected. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a pretty good beer.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

This was not quite what I expected when I tasted it. I was thinking it would be a porter with a vanilla aftertaste, but this has a hardcore vanilla flavor right from the first sip. It took a few sips to get used to, but I do really like it. It poured a dark reddish brown with very little head. It smelled very strongly of vanilla. The vanilla hits you right away. While the vanilla is strong, it is not overwhelming. The aftertaste has the malty flavor of the porter with the vanilla hanging on. This beer is an easy drinker and could be trouble! I think this is a "once in awhile" beer, but definitely worth trying.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

I've had good results home-brewing both porters and vanilla-infused beers, so I'm excited to try a production version. IMO, a bit of vanilla often adds a nice fullness to a beer's flavor (Surly's Moe's Bender is a great example). On to the beer.

A: Pours a clear, deep reddish brown, with a half-finger light tan head that quickly dissipates to a thin layer of foam on the surface. Seems quite light for a porter, in color, texture, and the color of the head.

S: I don't get whole lot in the nose at all. Smells a bit yeasty/mushroomy, with some caramel-y and chocolate malts in there, but very subtle. I'm getting a bit concerned. I do pick up a bit of the vanilla.

T: Wow, the vanilla is right there. But where's the porter? I get some dark roasted malts, but the flavor is gone quite quickly. A little bit of bitterness in the finish; the hops are there to round out the flavor, but pretty subdued.

M: Rather light for a porter, as expected from the appearance. It does have a nice richness to it; I feel it in my mouth well after the flavor is mostly gone.

D: Flavors are surprisingly simple and light for this style of beer, esp. one infused with vanilla. I found myself taking more sips, chasing the flavor. That's not the kind of drinkability I want. Interesting, but mostly falls short on the porter front. It's just too light on the dark roasted malts.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle stamped 05821B. It pours brownish-ruby red from the retro-labeled 12 ounce bottle. The vanilla aromas come on strong but there is a faint hint of chocolate deep within. I might have preferred a heavier body and less sour in taste. The vanilla becomes the beer rather than the traditonal Porter ingredients though.

4.22/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Dark pour from a 12 oz. bottle into a wide-mouth bubble glass. Coffee aroma with thick light copper head. As most Porter's go, this is best served at room temperature.

S: Very delightful and refreshing. Strong coffee aroma with a nice soft vanilla flavor.

T: Again, very smooth with a coffee taste. Strong heat on the finish with a hint of vanilla.

M: Full mouthfeel and a nice aroma.

D: Strong, but very tasty. One or two per sitting is easily doable.

3.14/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Pours a very dark ruby with a great one finger frothy mocha head that unfortunately dissapates, leaving some decent lacing.

Smells of dark fruits and very burnt toasted malts. Some caramel with just a slight hint of vanilla.

Taste is dominately by the roasted malts. Burnt tasting with a bit of caramel, but not as much as in the scent. Most of the vanilla is masked by the overall toastiness and is too similar in character to the caramal flavors. A bit disappointing it that aspect, but overall, not bad.

Mouthfeel is a little light for the style with little carbonation. Dry in the finish.

Drinkability is ok. At only 4.7% ABV, it wouldn't be hard to drink a few of these. However, the dryness gets in the way and the flavor is a little too "burnt." Needs more vanilla.

3.16/5  rDev -13.2%

The appearance of this beer is pretty standard, nothing really fancy going on here. A black beer with a crisp white head.

The smell is that of burnt raisins. There is a strong "burned" smell and nothing more.

The taste is very similar to the smell. There is burned caramels and no vanilla taste at all. Its super disappointing. I was hoping for a strong vanilla flavor, but it wasn't there.

The mouthfeel was ok, nothing amazing.

The drinkability isn't bad, but I wouldn't want more than a few. Its really heavy and sits on your gut.

I have had this on tap at the Brewery in Breckenridge and its slightly better there, but not by much. If it had a nice vanilla taste and maybe were an Imperial, then this would be an amazing beer.

2.86/5  rDev -21.4%

Dark brown in color, beige colored finger and a half of head, lacing is splotchy and spotty.

Aroma is slightly sweet, slightly vanilla, but it's an odd vanilla. More like a coke vanilla smell; bubbly and sugary.

Some toasted malts, but there's that coke vanilla taste. It's not awful, just odd. Not the kind of vanilla taste I like.

Feel is smooth, slick, a bit buddly, and more lighter in body.

An average porter with vanilla that just seems out of whack. I wonder how old these bottles are?

2.74/5  rDev -24.7%

Bottle pours a dark brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Nice fluffy off white head that laces well. Aroma is pretty much roasted malts, smoke, soy sauce and a hint of vanilla. Flavor leans pretty heavy on the vanilla. Slight nutty chocolate flavor on the end but it leaves a weird lingering taste in your mouth. Rather thin but slick mouthfeel. I was excited to try this beer after I kept hearing about and seeing this beer around now. I bought a 12 pack Sampler and this is not a very good start :(

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours brown with some ruby hues when held to the light. Not as dark as expected for a porter. But, it has a white soapy head that dissipates to a bubbly skim, and it leaves decent traces of lace down the glass. Nice.

The nose is a little odd. i get the vanilla and some sweetness here, and some light coffee and roasted malt. Wanted a bit more, but ok.

So, the vanilla is all in the nose. Decent balance of sweet cream and some coffee. Dark roasted malt has enough toasty edge to transition well from the sweetness in the beginning. there is a nuttiness as the palate clears, and as I sipped, something in there, just barely, that was herbal or medicinal. Lightly bitter and nutty in finish. Strength of flavor was a bit lacking, but still decent.

Mouthfeel was appropriate and facilitated drinkability. I liked this one, and probably could have a couple, but would not be able to session. Worth a try.

3.26/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter

A: dark brown with deep amber hues. initial tan head rose in tiny bubble from the pour then settled to a nearly white rim

S: subdued. vanilla is definitely there, other than that it is very subdued aroma: light caramel, roast malt.

T: sweet, vanilla extract dominates. Roasted malt, subtle chocolate in the middle. The end blends nicely with a very slight hop presence

M: light bodied and quite bubbly. the body overall for a porter was not bad but the carbonation was excessive for me

D: nothing I would turn down but not one I would be sad to never try again. Overall the vanilla is a nice touch but makes this beer very sweet. That combined with the carbonation almost makes this tast like a vanilla coke - I couldn't get that out of my head while drinking this one. lots of belching with this beer - could have done without that

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery