Vanilla Porter - Breckenridge Brewery

good

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanilla Porter Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

3.89/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: this one looks a bit too light....It looks more like a brown ale than a porter, or like a amber ale even! I don't get too hung up on appearance or styles, but it bothers me a bit. just a bit. 3.5

Smell: The smell is very faint, but pleasant. A almost sweet cream like smell is present, tho to pick it up I had to inhale a LOT. I suppose its a bit too weak for my tastes. 3.25

Taste: This is where the beer really arrives. This brew has the flavor of sweet vanilla cream, with a dry grainy malty sweetness. Almost like a mix of vanilla soda and very lightly roasted coffee. I think its fantastic. 4.25

Mouthfeel: This beer has a bit of sweetness to it, but also had enough carbonation to balance it out. It also has a grainy like feel that oddly enough I think works. 4

Overall: I've tried a lot of vanilla beers before. Some are good, but most are bad. This beer falls closer to the second category. It has al its eggs in the vanilla basket and that should not be a problem. If you picked up this beer, you do want vanilla, and it delivers it in spades. I would had preferred a deeper roast, a darker color, and a more porter-stout flavor, but for what I got I found it to be very nice. 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 1 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I would say that i normally rate things on the generous side. Whether it is food or beer, I am more inclined to say, "eh it wasn't that bad i guess" even if it should be more critically rated. I preface with that, because that is really saying something when I rate this beer so poorly. I poured rather aggressively and I was absolutely shocked that it produced NO head. Not very little, not less than I'd prefer...NO HEAD. After a few seconds all that was left was a rootbeer-ish foam rim around the glass and that haze that sits in the middle of the glass. To put it in perspective, I literally had to look at the bottle and box to make sure I had not accidentally bought a fancy soda. The mouthfeel is very thin and extremely undercarbonated. The flavor hammers with vanilla and reminds me of a very tasty soda, but not a tasty beer.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%