Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pandora's Bock - Breckenridge Brewery

Bock |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-25-2002

Reviews by SilentSabre:
3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

On draught at Taco Mac in Peachtree City, Ga, USA.

Poured up a dark brown colour that somewhat resembled very concentrated tea; not a reddish brown, but rather a rich, dark brown like furniture varnish. Nice colour. One finger off-white head seemed to fade away in about 30 seconds or so.

Smell was mildly bready or perhaps biscuity would be a better word. In any case, it was difficult to get much of anything out of the smell as everything seemed rather muted.

Taste surprised me a little as sweet malts dominated with pleasantly earthy, slightly herbal hops attempting to tame them. A delightfully mild biscuity malt shows up right at the finish. Very nice.

This drank smoothly with a modest level of carbonation that seemed just right. Even at 7,5%, I could see drinking several pints of this in a sitting. A very well crafted seasonal offering from Breckenridge. (871 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Sufficient amount of lacing, clarity and dark amber color look great though. Thick bready malt nose with only a slight hint of caramel and herbal hop. Creamy malt body with some smoothness, carbonation is at a moderate level here. Lots of bread, toasted and a bit sweet. Light raking of herbal hop levels the malt out a bit. Warming alcohol within lets only a small fume go in the breath. Malty finish that stay semi-dry.

A good rendition of the style, great to see another brewer take on this underrated style. (555 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Pandoras Bock pours hazy reddish chestnut under a thin off white foam cap. The nose and palate are nutty toasted malt, bread and a hint of caramel or kettle sugars. There are no big hop aromas or flavors but it finishes with an assertive hop bitterness. (254 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

3.09/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance: She poured a murky, light brown. Maybe an inch or so of smooth white head disappeared quickly.

Aroma: Very balanced aroma, predominately caramel-y malt followed up by a subtle floral note from the hops.

Taste: Nothing special but surprisingly balanced. Great malt flavor offset by the perfect amount of bitterness.

Palate: Decently smooth and lively carbonated but seemed to linger and dry my mouth out.

Overall: A good session beer, perfect for the end of winter. Don't go looking for anything beyond what you find in the nose, but it's all in check so no complaints. (584 characters)

Appears a pale copper hue with fine white head decent retention going on lacing is fine and scattered with each sip. Aromatics bread yeast and caramel notes with mild herbal hops. Flavor sweet bread and caramel grains barely noticeable hop flow but so in the middle. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with an even smooth texture. Drinkability is okay but again nothing special. (379 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

3.2/5  rDev -5%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass. The bottle does not list ABV or DBD.

A: Dark, but clear, amber with a thin white head. The head is gone in thirty seconds.

S: Malty, syrup, dark fruit, slight hops.

T: Malt, bread, carbonation zing, assertive hop bitterness in the finish along with thick burnt syrup fruit.

M: Medium and smooth.

O: I am a sap for the name (marketing does work). I haven't been blown away by any Brecken Ridge I have consumed (though I am nowhere close to having all of them as of yet). This beer is the same: pleasant, drinkable, but not astounding. It is a smooth bock with decent malt and some hops. There is a burnt edge to the fruit. I don't feel any desire to buy it again, to wait until the spring season with anticipation for it, or to horde it like other beers I enjoy. (803 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Attractive label (different from the one pictured) reads 'traditional, delicious.' Nothing wrong with that.

This beer pours a golden redish brown color with great clarity and about 3/4" of white head. Head wanes to a skim layer.

Aroma is unremarkable but not unpleasant. Sweet with a slight fruit and nut character to it.

Flavor is mostly sweet with carmel, toffee, and fruit. Sweetness is appropriate for the style and the slight bit of bitterness on the finish gives it balance.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin and carbonation is low. Neither is offputing but it's worth noting.

Drinkability is good because it's not too heavy or high in alcohol. Smooth and easy to drink.

A good beer but despite being decent all around, it's not something I would seek out again. (767 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +4.5%

A - This one looks reddish-rhubarb as it pours out of the bottle. In the glass, it's darker and more russet, but still has a dirty red color when held to the light. This one is cloudy and murky, and topped with a two finger head that quickly dissipates.

S - Hearty brown bread, walnuts, pecans, molasses, and brown sugar. This definitely smells "brown."

T - Sweet brown sugar and pecans at first, then moving towards cinnamon and tootsie rolls. There are some almost tropical-fruit notes in the finish that add a nice little flourish at the end.

M - Big dextrin-y body with cavity inducing sugar levels. The alcohol is well hidden though, and the finish dries up considerably from the initial sugar rush.

D - Good stuff. Not really a session brew, but great for desert! (774 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had on tap at the Flying Saucer KC, poured into a pint glass.

When I ordered this beer I already had two thoughts going into it: 1) I love Puns and the name made me laugh. 2) Breckenridge is a company I don't believe is capable of making good beer.

I think I need to expand on point 2. I've had Breckenridge's bock before and it was a competent beer. I enjoyed it. But other than that, I don't think this brewery is very talented. They're like O'Fallon to me. I've never had anything from O'Fallon that I've liked, yet I'll go back to them because they try interesting things that I believe are worth the risk. I never let my thoughts on a brewery turn me off from trying a beer and I'll give props where props are due, I'm not going to just hate on a brewery because that does nothing for anyone and it truly isn't good for our craft beer world.

On to Breckenridge's Pandora's Bock. When this was brought to me, I thought I would enjoy it. For the bock style it looked good, not great but enjoyable. It had almost two fingers worth of head a nice amber, crimson brownish color to it. The head resided quickly though and there was almost no lacing.

Smelling this thing was offensive to my palate. The beer wasn't skunked or bad (by ruination) by any means, it's just not a good beer. It smelled, I kid you not, like the Oriental ramen seasoning packet. This was full on in your face ramen. That was fun and quirky at first, but as I continued to smell it became foreboding. It was like the ending to ssn4 of Mad Men, nothing good is going to happen with Draper looking off in the distance. That's a bad comparison, I love Mad Men, I do not love this beer.

True to the smell, the ramen taste came through in the beer. There was this malty, ramen, toffee concoction with a smidgen of hops buried underneath all the rests of the flavor. When I first drank it, I hated it. Then my mind started playing tricks with me and I started enjoying it. Then I started focusing on the flavor and I couldn't get past this mechanical, oily flavor. Have you ever been in an auto shop or worked on a car/tractor in an enclosed area for a while? You know how there is this oily taste in the area that you can't ignore after being in this setting for an extended period of time? This taste soon overpowers you and it kind of effects your palate? Pandora's Bock successfully captures that phenomenon. It's a terrible feeling.

The mouthfeel really plays up the oily astringency and the ramen is all but prevalent. It's a terribly awful beer that's impossible to finish. NEVER, never before have I not finished a beer that I've ordered at the Saucer, this was the first I never finished. I couldn't tolerate it. This beer is awful and not worth your money. Do not drink this beer. (2,768 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -11.9%

Caramel/toffee brown. Almost no bubbles, and no lace. Hmm.

Aroma is malty, syrupy, maybe some maple. Not really very promising here.

Taste is sweet, and not too complex. Sugary malt-dominated. I rate this one pretty average.

Drinkable enough, but not outstanding. (267 characters)

Pandora's Bock from Breckenridge Brewery