Pandora's Bock - Breckenridge Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 374 | Reviews: 151
Reviews by Spider889:
3.87/5  rDev +12.8%

Nice clarity, short creamy head.

Smells very bready/malty with a strong yeasty aroma of Germanic quality. Also a bit of a fruity citrus bent to it.

Nice warm bread dough flavor with some caramel maltiness. Mildly sweet.

Both creamy yet somehow also a bit prickly after half a glass, the mouthfeel is the most distracting element in the beer.

Overall a very solid offering, and worth a revisit next season.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Sufficient amount of lacing, clarity and dark amber color look great though. Thick bready malt nose with only a slight hint of caramel and herbal hop. Creamy malt body with some smoothness, carbonation is at a moderate level here. Lots of bread, toasted and a bit sweet. Light raking of herbal hop levels the malt out a bit. Warming alcohol within lets only a small fume go in the breath. Malty finish that stay semi-dry.

A good rendition of the style, great to see another brewer take on this underrated style.

3.93/5  rDev +14.6%

Pandoras Bock pours hazy reddish chestnut under a thin off white foam cap. The nose and palate are nutty toasted malt, bread and a hint of caramel or kettle sugars. There are no big hop aromas or flavors but it finishes with an assertive hop bitterness.

3.09/5  rDev -9.9%

Appearance: She poured a murky, light brown. Maybe an inch or so of smooth white head disappeared quickly.

Aroma: Very balanced aroma, predominately caramel-y malt followed up by a subtle floral note from the hops.

Taste: Nothing special but surprisingly balanced. Great malt flavor offset by the perfect amount of bitterness.

Palate: Decently smooth and lively carbonated but seemed to linger and dry my mouth out.

Overall: A good session beer, perfect for the end of winter. Don't go looking for anything beyond what you find in the nose, but it's all in check so no complaints.

Appears a pale copper hue with fine white head decent retention going on lacing is fine and scattered with each sip. Aromatics bread yeast and caramel notes with mild herbal hops. Flavor sweet bread and caramel grains barely noticeable hop flow but so in the middle. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with an even smooth texture. Drinkability is okay but again nothing special.

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass. The bottle does not list ABV or DBD.

A: Dark, but clear, amber with a thin white head. The head is gone in thirty seconds.

S: Malty, syrup, dark fruit, slight hops.

T: Malt, bread, carbonation zing, assertive hop bitterness in the finish along with thick burnt syrup fruit.

M: Medium and smooth.

O: I am a sap for the name (marketing does work). I haven't been blown away by any Brecken Ridge I have consumed (though I am nowhere close to having all of them as of yet). This beer is the same: pleasant, drinkable, but not astounding. It is a smooth bock with decent malt and some hops. There is a burnt edge to the fruit. I don't feel any desire to buy it again, to wait until the spring season with anticipation for it, or to horde it like other beers I enjoy.

3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

Attractive label (different from the one pictured) reads 'traditional, delicious.' Nothing wrong with that.

This beer pours a golden redish brown color with great clarity and about 3/4" of white head. Head wanes to a skim layer.

Aroma is unremarkable but not unpleasant. Sweet with a slight fruit and nut character to it.

Flavor is mostly sweet with carmel, toffee, and fruit. Sweetness is appropriate for the style and the slight bit of bitterness on the finish gives it balance.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin and carbonation is low. Neither is offputing but it's worth noting.

Drinkability is good because it's not too heavy or high in alcohol. Smooth and easy to drink.

A good beer but despite being decent all around, it's not something I would seek out again.

3.52/5  rDev +2.6%

A - This one looks reddish-rhubarb as it pours out of the bottle. In the glass, it's darker and more russet, but still has a dirty red color when held to the light. This one is cloudy and murky, and topped with a two finger head that quickly dissipates.

S - Hearty brown bread, walnuts, pecans, molasses, and brown sugar. This definitely smells "brown."

T - Sweet brown sugar and pecans at first, then moving towards cinnamon and tootsie rolls. There are some almost tropical-fruit notes in the finish that add a nice little flourish at the end.

M - Big dextrin-y body with cavity inducing sugar levels. The alcohol is well hidden though, and the finish dries up considerably from the initial sugar rush.

D - Good stuff. Not really a session brew, but great for desert!

1.84/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had on tap at the Flying Saucer KC, poured into a pint glass.

When I ordered this beer I already had two thoughts going into it: 1) I love Puns and the name made me laugh. 2) Breckenridge is a company I don't believe is capable of making good beer.

I think I need to expand on point 2. I've had Breckenridge's bock before and it was a competent beer. I enjoyed it. But other than that, I don't think this brewery is very talented. They're like O'Fallon to me. I've never had anything from O'Fallon that I've liked, yet I'll go back to them because they try interesting things that I believe are worth the risk. I never let my thoughts on a brewery turn me off from trying a beer and I'll give props where props are due, I'm not going to just hate on a brewery because that does nothing for anyone and it truly isn't good for our craft beer world.

On to Breckenridge's Pandora's Bock. When this was brought to me, I thought I would enjoy it. For the bock style it looked good, not great but enjoyable. It had almost two fingers worth of head a nice amber, crimson brownish color to it. The head resided quickly though and there was almost no lacing.

Smelling this thing was offensive to my palate. The beer wasn't skunked or bad (by ruination) by any means, it's just not a good beer. It smelled, I kid you not, like the Oriental ramen seasoning packet. This was full on in your face ramen. That was fun and quirky at first, but as I continued to smell it became foreboding. It was like the ending to ssn4 of Mad Men, nothing good is going to happen with Draper looking off in the distance. That's a bad comparison, I love Mad Men, I do not love this beer.

True to the smell, the ramen taste came through in the beer. There was this malty, ramen, toffee concoction with a smidgen of hops buried underneath all the rests of the flavor. When I first drank it, I hated it. Then my mind started playing tricks with me and I started enjoying it. Then I started focusing on the flavor and I couldn't get past this mechanical, oily flavor. Have you ever been in an auto shop or worked on a car/tractor in an enclosed area for a while? You know how there is this oily taste in the area that you can't ignore after being in this setting for an extended period of time? This taste soon overpowers you and it kind of effects your palate? Pandora's Bock successfully captures that phenomenon. It's a terrible feeling.

The mouthfeel really plays up the oily astringency and the ramen is all but prevalent. It's a terribly awful beer that's impossible to finish. NEVER, never before have I not finished a beer that I've ordered at the Saucer, this was the first I never finished. I couldn't tolerate it. This beer is awful and not worth your money. Do not drink this beer.

2.97/5  rDev -13.4%

Caramel/toffee brown. Almost no bubbles, and no lace. Hmm.

Aroma is malty, syrupy, maybe some maple. Not really very promising here.

Taste is sweet, and not too complex. Sugary malt-dominated. I rate this one pretty average.

Drinkable enough, but not outstanding.

2.78/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark brownish amber color with an off- white head.

S- The malty aroma is sweet malt and caramel.

T- The taste like the aroma is sweet malt and caramel up front with a touch of hops and alcohol in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation.

O- Overall, not a huge fan of this one. It is not horrible, but is just a little on the bland side.

3.61/5  rDev +5.2%

Paper thin head, but look quick because it won't be there long. Caramel in color, looks good despite the lack of head.

Malt and hops in the nose, but no dominant smell. Feels like a bitter in the mouth, lots of body in this bock.

Good flavor. Hops are obvious in the taste, but play only a supportive role with the other spices and flavors. All the flavors marry together well giving this a smooth, easy finish.

It's a heavy beer, so I don't know how many you could drink in an evening, but it would be nice to have a case handy.

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a mug.

A: Nice clear, garnet-amber color with a bubbly off-white head.

S: Intense sweetness on the nose, with hints of toasted barley, caramel, toffee and even some nutty aromas. Not overwhelming by any means, but very pleasant.

T: Again, sweet, but not quite as rich as the nose suggested. All the aforementioned aromas appear in the flavor, yet they seem to blend into one singular flavor which was a tad strange at first, but ultimately grew on me.

M: Heavier side of light bodied, yet teetering on being too thin. Carbonation is average, never getting in the way of the flavor, but the finish is pretty muddy.

D: Light enough to be drinkable, but the finish made this one sort of a chore to finish, especially as it warmed.

Slightly disappointed with Pandora here. This is a beer that for some reason (name, label art, the fact that it was a bock, who knows?) I really, almost desperately wanted to love. The look and aromas were nice, but everything else was strictly average. Perhaps I need to taste this side-by-side with others of its kind, as I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the bock is an under-appreciated and largely misunderstood style. I like it more than most bocks, but I'd still have a hard time recommending it for any reason other than sheer curiosity.

3.28/5  rDev -4.4%

It's rare to see an American-made traditional bock, especially bottled, so I was excited to give this a try. Unfortunately the character was disappointing and flat. It tasted more like an imperial version of Yuengling. There was a clean, smooth caramel malt, with a hint of licorice and a relatively thin body. Not a bad beer, but too simple.

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Fresh bottle pour into GLBC pint...

Decent head and some lacing...this one is new to me this year, trying to sample a number of "spring bocks" this season...

A: Not bad, nice dark amber color, good head retention and clear body

S: Also good, big sweet malty smell, very minor floral hops faint in the back

T: As a bock should taste, very caramel malt sweetness, clean and balanced, pretty nice

MF: Almost a little too sweet after a few sips, would have prefered a dryer finish, but ok

D: An easy drinking bock, goes down easy, could pop a few of these pretty easily with no problem, but other bocks I have had would likely be my preference over this one, but still glad to try this one....

Cheers!

1.95/5  rDev -43.1%

Was looking forward to a nice beer. Appearance is dark copper and opaque. Residual hops noted in bottom of glass. Sourness and somewhat vinous aroma as it warmed. Malty nose is there as it warms and toasty/breadiness apparent. Very tart and astringent taste that leads one to believe it is a soured bock. Perhaps I received a very old bottle. Light in body for the style and overall was not drinking experience I was hoping for.

3.52/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Slightly hazy reddish-brown with a thin head that disappears quickly and doesn't linger.

S: Musky malt, alcohol and a little hops.

T: Roasted malt start off that gets overpowered by a crisp lemon-hoppy finish.

M: Medium body and light carbonation, nothing special.

Overall, I thought this beer was ok. They did manage to get a pretty high alcohol content without making it very bitter. Pretty enjoyable, but after one of these I would move without looking back.

3.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a somewhat effervescent amber/copper with 3 fingers of fluffy cream colored head. Above average head retention& average lacing

S: Grainyness & some breadyness, pepper & caramel as this warms

T: Breadyness/biscuitty malt, caramel& slight peppery rye flavor up front. Dryness surfaces as this warms, plus slight grainyness & some herbal hops. Finishes with caramel, a bit of toffee, too much dryness & herbal hops. Almost pulled a 4.0

MF: Chewy with low, but near perfect carbonation & pretty good balance

Drinks alright, dryness kind of walks on some of the positives of this beer. This kicks the crap out of many pretend bocks (shiners, schell, abita & a few others), but there a better out there. Not sure what previous reviewers were drinking, but it has been a few years since this was reviewed so maybe changes were made???

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer is hazy a tea colored brown, with a slightly red ruby kind of hue. Light on the carbonation and the head was non existant. The smell is a shockingly sweet kind of malt with a bit of citrus involved.

glug glug glug

Hit with a medium to light bitterness that fades quickly into citrus flavors, like oranges and lemons. The aftertaste to me also has a tea taste to it. I had a few of these last night before reviewing and as it warmed then, all it reminded me of was tea beer...or sometime like that. Not bad, a better bock showing than Shiner, but a little too sweet for me.

3.34/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A- pours a clear amber color with a small fizzy white head that quickly dissapates leaving no lace.

S- clean and malty with a bit of toast, some yeast, and slightly sweet

T- sweet and malty, slightly toasted, just a faint trace of subtle hop, seems a little too sweet.

M- medium body, moderate carbonation, slightly foamy mouthfeel with a smooth finish.

O- this one wasn't horrible, but not something I would buy again. I was however surprised that it was 7.5% as it was very easy to drink.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer was my introduction into craft beers shortly after moving to Colorado. At the time I didn't realize it was seasonal and was disappointed when I could no longer find it.

That being said, i was interested to try it again after having had many different craft flavors and types. After all, I still find drinking this beer highly enjoyable.

A - Pours a nice amber color, with a finger or two of head in my tulip glass. Leaves a good trace of lacing behind.

S - Sweet and malty

T - Again, sweet and malty with a little bit of caramel and an edge of bitter.

M - There is an edge to this beer that I usually associate with a higher abv beer. It's a mostly smooth going down, but does have a tinge of burn to it.

Overall, this beer will always have a place on my shelf. I find it enjoyable to drink, and the nostalgia in me will always have an appreciation for it.

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has an amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, caramel. Taste is the same, malts, bready, caramel, a touch of hops. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a highly drinkable and good quality beer.

2.85/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Ice-tea pour shows a bubby, washy skim beige head that dissipated rather quickly after the pour. Skimpy thin ring lacing.

S: Nose was unimpressive, some faint apple skins, otherwise indistinguishable, with not much appeal.

T: Apple malt flavor, a bit of spicy character and some crystal malt sweetens things up a bit. Warm apple-skins, some cherry skins as well. Flavor does grow on you a bit, not impressive at first, but sweetens up and becomes managable.

M: Mouthful is creamy, with a spicy dry sweetness. Quiet carbonation with a medium body.

O: Overall an average experience, nothing is gonna jump out at you visually, aromatically, or taste wise. The beer sweetens up as it goes with some toasty caramel. Drinkable, but with middle of the road excitment factor. Single serving recommedation at first.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Big frothy pillow-like light tan head... Full, yet splotchy, lacing lasts throughout the session... Caramel coloring... Slightly murky... Lot of cabonation, only noticeable at the top of the glass...

S - Solid and assertive maltiness right off of the bat... Raisins... Fig... Toffee... Surprisingly fruity... Minor hop notes... A vague alcohol scent...

T - A yummy malty assault... A toasted nuttiness... Toffee... Butter... Dark fruit... Fig...

M - Unique mouthfeel... Trace amounts of carbonation... Medium to full bodied... Chewy... Syrupy, yet smooth... Lush... Rich... Buttery... Extremely enjoyable...

D - First off, I love the name... Solid bock offering... It really is a solid brew... Sessionable and repeatable...

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark amber just almost verging to ruby brown with a small bone-white head. It is clear, with a few bubbles. The head drops fast & leaves some adequate lacing.

S: Malty and sweet. Predominately crusty melanoidans. No hops. Fairly clean, but a nice strong aroma level.

T: Bready in a thick, rustic, crusty & melanoidan rich way. Good bit of sweetness with a caramel / toffee edge. Super faint dark dried fruit. Minty and herbal hops in the background that grow stronger at the end, but bitterness stays restrained. Bread crust and melanoidans linger on in the finish.

M: A little bit over medium body with carbonation just on the softer side. Nice amount of dextrins and a bit of residual sugars. Smooth with a hint of heft and a lingering sweetness in the finish.

D: Rich and robust without being complex. A very well done and pleasant drinking bock. Not over the top, and hides its relatively big abv well.

to view more.