Pandora's Bock - Breckenridge Brewery

good

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Bock |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-25-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pandora's Bock Alström Bros
TeamAlphaDoG

05-29-2012 22:30:39 | More by TeamAlphaDoG
jdskinns

1.43/5  rDev -58.2%

Cloudy orange/brown color with a very thin white head. Bready, biscuity smell that was pretty offputting given the dirty socks smell that went along with it. This beer had an incredibly sour, infected taste that lead to an immediate drain pout. Definitely will not be buying this one again.

11-09-2009 19:03:58 | More by jdskinns
BeerBelcher

1.58/5  rDev -53.8%

This is really a good-looking beer; it is too bad the beer doesn't deliver on that good start with a pleasant drinking experience. I got a lot of mercaptan out of this beer, which tastes like compost or rotting vegetables, and that's not what I'm looking for in a beer.

Appearance was a rich red brass color with nice head. The appearance had me primed for a good beer experience, which was sadly not to be. Aroma was a bit sour with lots of mercaptan, which I find a bit revolting. I also got some caramel malt and diacetyl in the aroma. Flavor was distinctly metallic, although I really found it difficult to get over that rotting vegetable smell. Mouthfeel was a bit thin.

I was not impressed by this beer, and I would recommend you choose something else.

I bought this bottle at 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

04-23-2008 20:26:09 | More by BeerBelcher
FernMaster

Missouri

1.8/5  rDev -47.4%

Had on tap at the Flying Saucer KC, poured into a pint glass.

When I ordered this beer I already had two thoughts going into it: 1) I love Puns and the name made me laugh. 2) Breckenridge is a company I don't believe is capable of making good beer.

I think I need to expand on point 2. I've had Breckenridge's bock before and it was a competent beer. I enjoyed it. But other than that, I don't think this brewery is very talented. They're like O'Fallon to me. I've never had anything from O'Fallon that I've liked, yet I'll go back to them because they try interesting things that I believe are worth the risk. I never let my thoughts on a brewery turn me off from trying a beer and I'll give props where props are due, I'm not going to just hate on a brewery because that does nothing for anyone and it truly isn't good for our craft beer world.

On to Breckenridge's Pandora's Bock. When this was brought to me, I thought I would enjoy it. For the bock style it looked good, not great but enjoyable. It had almost two fingers worth of head a nice amber, crimson brownish color to it. The head resided quickly though and there was almost no lacing.

Smelling this thing was offensive to my palate. The beer wasn't skunked or bad (by ruination) by any means, it's just not a good beer. It smelled, I kid you not, like the Oriental ramen seasoning packet. This was full on in your face ramen. That was fun and quirky at first, but as I continued to smell it became foreboding. It was like the ending to ssn4 of Mad Men, nothing good is going to happen with Draper looking off in the distance. That's a bad comparison, I love Mad Men, I do not love this beer.

True to the smell, the ramen taste came through in the beer. There was this malty, ramen, toffee concoction with a smidgen of hops buried underneath all the rests of the flavor. When I first drank it, I hated it. Then my mind started playing tricks with me and I started enjoying it. Then I started focusing on the flavor and I couldn't get past this mechanical, oily flavor. Have you ever been in an auto shop or worked on a car/tractor in an enclosed area for a while? You know how there is this oily taste in the area that you can't ignore after being in this setting for an extended period of time? This taste soon overpowers you and it kind of effects your palate? Pandora's Bock successfully captures that phenomenon. It's a terrible feeling.

The mouthfeel really plays up the oily astringency and the ramen is all but prevalent. It's a terribly awful beer that's impossible to finish. NEVER, never before have I not finished a beer that I've ordered at the Saucer, this was the first I never finished. I couldn't tolerate it. This beer is awful and not worth your money. Do not drink this beer.

01-25-2011 00:10:27 | More by FernMaster
KI9A

1.85/5  rDev -45.9%

A: light cola, hazy brown, nice head nice lace.

S: some malts, Slight citrus? A bock?

T: Wierd. Not much malt. A ton of funk. Yuck, like spoiled apple juice funk.

M: Oily bitterness that seems to hang around a bit. Low carbonation. Nasty as hell

D: I love bocks. Won't buy again. Fail as a bock. It's not a bock. Not sure what it is, but, its horrible as hell.

02-11-2009 02:56:54 | More by KI9A
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

1.85/5  rDev -45.9%

Is a clear copper in the glass, with a thin ivory head. Smells of caramel malt and a faint grassiness from the hops.

Tastes of caramel malt followed by a cidery fruitiness and then an odd vegetal flavor in the finish. The vegetal flavor lingers in the aftertaste. Medium bodied and just plain weird tasting. These flavors don't mesh well. Tough to get through this one. Pass.

10-18-2008 00:17:47 | More by ViveLaChouffe
beefnbarley

Kentucky

1.95/5  rDev -43%

Was looking forward to a nice beer. Appearance is dark copper and opaque. Residual hops noted in bottom of glass. Sourness and somewhat vinous aroma as it warmed. Malty nose is there as it warms and toasty/breadiness apparent. Very tart and astringent taste that leads one to believe it is a soured bock. Perhaps I received a very old bottle. Light in body for the style and overall was not drinking experience I was hoping for.

01-21-2010 01:35:46 | More by beefnbarley
WritersBlock

02-10-2013 04:14:52 | More by WritersBlock
JustinMatthew

04-08-2012 14:47:02 | More by JustinMatthew
Vancer

2.03/5  rDev -40.6%

Ol' Pandora's Bock (luv the name) pours a clear see-through mahogany brown with a decent tan in the Sammy Adams freebie glass.

The aroma is not good - a sour funk prevails and dominates. And it's present in the quaff also, not a pleasant drinking bock at all. Bits of caramel are there, but that damn musty funk is killing this beer. Finishes with a wet cardboard oil. I've got a sixer of this stuff, if the others are better I'll re-review.

Really surprised at Breckenridge to put something like this out.

03-13-2009 21:03:15 | More by Vancer
sethcroisant

Nebraska

2.2/5  rDev -35.7%

A- slightly darker than amber in color. barely any head, but has decent retention.

S- not much going on. slight herbal quality from the hops. tiny hints of toasted malt.

T- medicinal hops overpower the malt a bit. some caramel and toasted malts in the backround, but the odd hop flavors are prominent throughout.

O- generally, i enjoy breckenridge. but, this is a complete miss.

02-05-2013 04:24:56 | More by sethcroisant
JoeST

Indiana

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

Wow was I disappointed with this brew. This is the first from Breckenridge that I have not liked. I tried to pull something from it but couldn't come up with a thing. No real distinct aroma or flavor just bland & boring. Reminded me of a BMC in disguise. I tried it along with two friends & none of us could get anything from it. Will not buy this one again.

02-28-2009 14:21:15 | More by JoeST
brewdlyhooked13

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance - a slight haze to the orange caramel beer. A thin but persistent layer of cream bubbles. A few little hillocks of lace up high.

Aroma - a malty, buttery nose, powdery graininess, something weird and kinda funky.

Taste - a sweet caramelly start. Turns to a buttery, slightly tangy flavor, not too good. Frankly, the beer tastes a little dated. A sourish, old sock kind of swallow.

Mouthfeel - good smoothness for a bock, but it's not near enough to overcome the odd taste.

Drinkability - drank a little over half, then let my drain have the rest.

04-19-2009 19:18:41 | More by brewdlyhooked13
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

2.35/5  rDev -31.3%

A - Poured a nice, deep amber colour with a small amount of white head.

S - A significant malt nose with caramel.

T - The maltiest ale I have had. The malt profile is complimented somewhat by a sweetness (slightly caramel-like). No discernable hop presence whatsoever.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Not my style of beer. The malt presence is too much and I wasn't able to finish it.

Overall I am unimpressed with this beer. I have found a general lack of liking to Breckenridge's products (3 of the 4 I have tried I would never buy again).

03-13-2010 20:49:56 | More by TheSevenDuffs
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.45/5  rDev -28.4%

This just showed up in Casper.

This pours a clear bright copper with a 2 finger head of foam.

The smell is strange. I get a good whiff of some malt but I also get something very tart and maybe medicinal? Not the best nose out there for the style.

The taste is of sweet malty notes up front followed by big earthy tones and *some* tartness, not as big as in the nose, thankfully, but it's there and it's distracting. Overall flavour is, imho, a real mess...too earthy, too sweet, not too drinkable:^( I'm doubting whether I can finish the bottle. Too bad because it's really a great looking beer in the glass ie good head retention and lacing. No more for me, please.

02-21-2009 01:05:50 | More by Bitterbill
IPAnderson

2.48/5  rDev -27.5%

I've never had a beer so similar to Coca-Cola. It looks like many bocks, but has very little flavor and aroma. Coke is just as thin and only a bit sweeter. The hops are almost indetectable and I'm really curious how this dark color exists without much maltiness in the beer. I'm struggling to adequately review this beer because my taste buds are struggling find some flavor. It's very smooth for 7.5% abv, perhaps that's caused by all the sugars instead of the herbal, hoppy aroma and breadiness from the malt I desired. However, this is the only bock I might consider a panty dropper.

03-20-2010 03:27:11 | More by IPAnderson

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

08-27-2013 21:46:24 | More by Kahlerbock
plrooney

2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

This was an interesting beer. It poured a very nice clear copper color, and while it did not have much head it looked good and it also had a nice aroma, however, it had one of the strangest tastes I have had in a beer. First, the mouthfeel was almost oily and it seemed to leave a film in my mouth. My friends thought I was crazy, but it tasted like liquid fried chicken. It was not a very pleasant taste, thank goodness this taste was the first taste when the beer hit my mouth and dissipated quickly. The beer did not have a strong after taste. Don't think I would drink this again.

02-09-2009 21:56:49 | More by plrooney
PatrickJR

2.65/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Nearly opaque brown with a light tan 2 finger head. Decent retention and decent lacing.

S - Caramel and butter, but there's a bizzare grassy smell, maybe vegetables.

T - Rarely have I been as shocked as I was when I took my first sip. A quick burst of caramel leads into an extremely earthy, vegetal, and almost rotten apple flavor. A strange metallic flavor rides over the even stranger flavor. Thankfully the brew finishes clean and this taste isn't left to linger. A really gross and unnatural taste to say the least.

M - Smooth and moderately carbonated. Not bad, but the taste messes everything up...

D - No thanks. It's not the hardest thing to choke down, but it is rather offensive. Very disappointing (and gross) after the rather exquisite Vanilla Porter.

07-04-2008 09:26:27 | More by PatrickJR
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

Ok, so this isn't my favorite style.

A dark caramel, slightly reddish pour. Very small head that didn't take long to go away. Swirls produced very little return head.

No aroma I could detect, save some minimal sweet malt.

Taste is candied Jolly Ranger apple/cherry. Sweet. Syrupy a bit. Semi-clean towards the end. The old sock characteristic i usually get from this style is very weak here, which is good. For the style I guess it's ok. I'm not a fan.

04-04-2009 08:05:18 | More by Mebuzzard
awalsh

04-01-2013 01:09:43 | More by awalsh
cjgator3

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark brownish amber color with an off- white head.

S- The malty aroma is sweet malt and caramel.

T- The taste like the aroma is sweet malt and caramel up front with a touch of hops and alcohol in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation.

O- Overall, not a huge fan of this one. It is not horrible, but is just a little on the bland side.

04-16-2012 02:19:23 | More by cjgator3