Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Agave Wheat - Breckenridge Brewery

Agave WheatAgave Wheat

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: tgbljb on 01-24-2008

Agave complements the refreshingly light quality of our wheat and adds a subtle note of flavor that expands this beer’s uplifting taste profile. It is familiar, yet creative.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Agave Wheat Alström Bros
1.77/5  rDev -47.8%

Poured into a 12oz glass forming a nice yet shortlived head over a light honey colored body with lots of carbonation evident. Little to no lacing around the glass. This is an odd little beer, notes of lemon/lime in the nose with a touch of banana and the addition of the aqave which puts me in mind of tequila, very subdued, but there. The taste is the same, also very subdued, not quite bland. Maybe there are some subtleties I'm missing but there doesn't seem to be much outstanding here. It feels somewhat thin in the mouth and finishes medium dry with a light citrusy/salty/tequila taste...margarita? Yeah, but a watered down version of that drink. It's light and as drinkable as a soft drink yet not as flavorful. Interesting concept that seems to fall short. Or maybe I got an old case, don't know as the brewery didn't feel it important enough to date their product. Either way, not a brew I'll try again.

Edit...18March2009 Gave this another try last night and decided it was a drain pour. Too bad.

1.81/5  rDev -46.6%

From a bottle in a Breckenridge Brewing Ale Sampler Pack. Poured into a tall Pint Glass.

I poured this like I pour all wheat ales that aren't clarified - I pour 2/3-3/4 of the beer into the glass, stir the sediment, then finish off the pour. Poured with a nice head, 1 inch, and was hazy and dark straw.

It goes downhill from here. I didn't like the smell at all. I know there was Agave syrup added to the mix, but was disappointed to the flavor profile. The agave was fighting with the natural flavors of a wheat beer. The smell wasn't repulsing, but I was surprised by the lack of cohesion between the beer and the agave.

The taste wasn't good. There's no way around it. The agave was too sweet - it completely overpowered the hops AND the malt. The aftertaste was an odd mix of pine and sugar that (like the Avalanche Ale) turned me off. I finished the beer in 3 large sips, and proceeded to eat anything in sight.

The mouthfeel was ok - there wasn't enough carbonation for the flavors. Had the beer been more fizzy, the sweetness may have been masked.

Unless you're into agave, my recommendation is to stay away. I'm not sure what to do with the two other bottles in my fridge. I may just pour them out.

1.92/5  rDev -43.4%

Uncap this and you get an explosion that makes you jam the bottle into your mouth while you run to the nearest sink.
My keyboard is all wet now since i opened this at my desk. Really quick and caught me off guard. infection? other issue?
Body color is hazy orange. some lacing.
The aroma gives off an agave, aloe vera like aroma, some banana, and wheat.
Once again the Agave is perceptible, rather strongly i would say too. Lemon is a standout, really sweet overall, carb is low making the mouthfeel undesirable.

Wont buy again.

2.24/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours a light straw color that is surprisingly clear (w/a slight touch of haze) considering the "wheat" in the beer's name. A white frothy one inch head tops the beer and refuses to recede. Smells like hay and adjuncts with a slight hop presence in the nose. First sip is almost flavorless with a watered down malt and hop profile that you almost have to be looking for in order to find. This beer is not worthy of additional keystrokes.

2.32/5  rDev -31.6%

I would not normally drink this kind of beer but a friend gave me one to try. The first thing I noticed was the smell, and I have to admit that this skewed my entire experience. The reason is that I had smelled that exact same smell earlier that day...when I was changing my 6-month old daughter's poopy diaper. I don't know if it's the agave or what, but something in there smells funky. I even let my wife smell to get a second opinion, and she said the same thing. Now, baby poop is more of an earthy smell than adult poop and may not necessarily be offputting to everyone, but since I knew that smell from earlier it immediately put me off this beer.

Otherwise, the taste was average, nothing special other than the odd smell/taste.

2.36/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured 56 degrees into a tulip glass. No born date.

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a deep thin head that's dissipates quickly, leaving no lace.

Smells of a slight coriander and dry wheat. Not well project and not especially pleasant.

Taste is a very generic blend of wet wheat. No finish and no complexity of flavor. Really not worth revisiting. Mouthfeel is more of the same.

Overall, very thin, pretty flavorless, and incredibly generic tasting. I don't really know what agave tastes like, but gave a feeling that there isn't much of whatever that is in this beer. A disappointment from a producer that I previously had blind faith in.

2.36/5  rDev -30.4%

A: Cloudy with particulate and good foam with a lace that stayed but little head and a weak yellow to orange color.

S: Weak juicy fruit with a weak malt hash. Not appetizing.

M: Sour, Wheaties, sweet tarts, all in the aftertaste. Sweet tarts was the most powerful.

T: Wheat and maybe passion fruit which is likely the agave. It's not tequila. Still, the sweet tart flavor makes this like candy which means a miss for me.

D: Nope. It's too sour and candy like, not my taste at all.

2.41/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance: I'll give this some credit. This pale yellow beer has some ok lacing as well. Not much foam though.

Smell: Some nice fruity notes at first. Unfortunately, this does not balance that well. Some definite sour notes as well. I have to same I'm not that impressed overall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Some decent fruitiness at first. But the aftertaste is pretty bad. Overall this tastes like tequila. Mouthfeel has a bit of yeastiness but is kind of like flat soda water.

Drinkability: A lack of balance dooms this beer.

Overall: A great idea with so-so execution.

2.43/5  rDev -28.3%

Not the biggest fan of wheats, but I like one every now and then, especially if something is different about it. I've never had an agave beer before so I thought I'd give it a try.

The poor is cloudy and golden. What I usually like to see in a wheat beer. Decent head.

Not getting a lot of smell, but I attribute that to the other overpowering food smells in the restaurant.

Mouthfeel is fine. About what I expected. Certainly not watery.

Very disappointed in the taste. I don't know what I was expecting, but it I at least thought I'd get the sweat citrusy taste of a wheat or cloves. Its mostly bready tasting like a lager and very little sweetness.

I can see this being popular with people being introduced to craft beers, but it lacks the complexity I was hoping for.

2.46/5  rDev -27.4%

Having on draft in AZ. A -Color - light golden yellow. S - Nose - almost none. Really sticking nose in glass to try to get anything but to no avail. T - Taste - toasted wheat bread sans butter. A little salt...light. Creamy lingering finish. O - basic, unimpressive, pass. Next.

2.48/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy yellow orange with a medium white head that retains pretty well and laces the glass.

The aroma is lemoney fruit (agave?) and wheat.

The flavor is pretty bland - a little acidic fruit and some metallic malts. It improves some as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery.

Overall, this is not so good. FCB's Major Tom's is a much better beer in this style.

2.48/5  rDev -26.8%

Not the best wheat beer I've had. A bit watery and thin. Lacks body and is slightly over-carbonated for my liking. Hints of banana and bubble gum on the finish. Decent head that dissipated rather quickly. Minimal lacing. Wouldn't go out of the way for this one.

2.53/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap in a pitcher, then poured into a generic pint glass. Reviewed from notes:

A - Presents a cloudy, non-transparent golden orange color with no head, though I blame this on being served in a pitcher. Appealing nonetheless.

S - Pepper, clove, sweet sugars, plain bread yeast, and light crisp wheat. Not terrible, though it's definitely not remarkable.

T - A watery bland open bleeds through the simple wheat body. The spice notes are nice, though there very underwhelming. The agave doesn't really contribute any flavor; rather I find it to compromise the balance of the beer.

M - Thick, medium bodied and undercarbonated.

D - It worked pretty well as a refreshing beer on a hot day, but it's not special. There are much better wheat beer to be had.

2.57/5  rDev -24.2%

Fan of wheat beers but not of this one. Taste reminded me somewhat of a BL Limearita. Also has an odd smell that accompanies the beer. Swing and a miss on this one.

2.58/5  rDev -23.9%

Got this one in a mixed case and since it was new to me I was game for trying it out.

I served this one cold and with a hard pour out of the bottle an average, white head formed and quickly faded to a thin layer. To the nose this one almost seems a bit off. Some sour apple hits the nose with the noticeable wheat aroma. A nice banana note comes through and some subtle yeastiness. Mouthfeel is crisp and medium body not very smooth.
Balanced wheat flavor is a good start however the sweet soon turns to sour. It leaves a sour aftertaste that I don't believe would be the agave since I have enjoyed agave syrup in the past and it is quite sweet. It is a drinkable beer especially with something salty like roasted almonds or peanuts. This one needs to be reworked and if it is I would give it another chance.

2.6/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Poured a light, cloudy yellow with minor head retention.

S - Nose is lemon and orange.

T - Rather bland with the some general sweetness (agave) and a slight floral taste. The citrus that I got on the nose was not present in the palate at all.

M - Light body with decent carbonation level.

D - Not a very good wheat beer IMO. The agave gives it sweetness that I feel is wasted by the lack of a discernible flavour profile.

Wouldn't buy this one again.

2.6/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Beer poured from bottle into glass. Good amount of foam that stayed. Color was copper, slightly red. Decent carbonation. Weak aroma, wheat, light lemon flavor. No agave taste, but agave syrup doesn't have a strong flavor either so maybe expecting too much. Good mouth feel, medium bodied. Taste not very strong, bready wheat flavor, didn't pick up multiple flavors. A beer without an assertive personality.

2.62/5  rDev -22.7%

Breckenridge Agave Wheat is a cloudy straw colored beer with a small white head that quickly vanishes. It has a light wheat aroma with a phenolic note. It's pretty light bodied, bubbly and pretty smooth. The finish is a little slick and a little watery. It tastes pretty solid and well balanced. It has a lemony wheat flavor that gets twangy at the end of the taste. It's pretty spicy with a note of black pepper. There is a decent amount of bitterness that seems kind of herbal, for lack of a better term. The aftertaste is lightly phenolic. I really don't know what agave tastes like, so I couldn't pick it out. This beer is more flavorful than I anticipated. It would go nicely with grilled chicken.

2.7/5  rDev -20.4%

A- murky golden amber with a thin white head and some little swirls and spots of lace.

S- standard APWA aroma, notes of bread and citrus with a bit of earthy yeast.

T- I remember back in the late 90's snapple had a line of clear beverages in a tall bottle called "rain" or something like that. One of the flavors was agave and I really liked it. I feel like I can taste a bit of that tangy fruitiness in here, but I may be fooling myself. Bready with banana yeast and a lasting sweetness which could be agave nectar.

MF- expansive in the mouth with wheat proteins. Fully carbonated. Not really all that refreshing.

D- mostly dull and boring. I'm sure more could be done to enhance the agave-ness or why bother having it in there at all?

2.72/5  rDev -19.8%

A - Pours a murky honey/straw color with a nice white head that had good retention disipating into a light lace.
S - Smells of wheat, citrus, and lemon peel.
T - Good wheat presence with hints of lemon and honey. I don't know if I detect any Agave.
M - Smooth and crisp with a good carbonation.
D - Not a bad wheat, but I have had better. Really wondering how the agave was used in this brew because I couldnt pick much of it up. Although I wouldnt turn it down if it was all I had avaliable on a hot day.

2.73/5  rDev -19.5%

Had on tap at the Black St. Breckenridge location in Denver. Not a memorable brew. Poured a hazy (unfiltered-like) light yellow color with a foamy head that quickly dissipated, quite loudly. Almost no lacing. Smelled of wet wheat with a touch of citrus. Very bland. Tastes even more bland...pretty much just wet wheat taste...a little citrus to it and I do taste a touch of the agave, but not much. The wheat is too overpowering. Did not stay on my palate for long.

Drinkable because it is light and clean. Good carbonation. I would not get this one again, but it was worth a try.

2.76/5  rDev -18.6%

This is a second beer I tried from them which sounded so very good but nowhere near lived up to expectations. Poured a 1" offwhite head of average life. The body is a hazy raw sienna yellow color. Not much smell, even warmed. Not much taste beyond an average BMC. The agave at most adds a mild hint of sweetness but otherwise all I get is very lightly toasted malt. No finish to speak of. And the website says this is an herbed/spiced beer? Really? I didn't know agave was an herb or a spice, it's just another sweetener really.

2.77/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured into a weizen glass.

4.0 A: Hazed dark orange color. Two fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is average and a good bit of lacing is left.

2.0 S: Dry and dusty. Doesn't really smell like anything aside from some neutral wheat.

2.5 T: Taste is pretty much the same, although you can taste the agave. Sweeter with a stronger malt presence than the nose.

4.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Excellently creamy. Well done here.

3.0 D: Mediocre brew that has a great mouthfeel.

2.79/5  rDev -17.7%

A: golden / hazy, adequate white head, strong lace.

S: really hard to smell anything at all here. Lemony citrus makes a weak appearance, but folds under pressure to produce anything interesting.

T: my brother swears this has agave all over the place, but I can't pick it out. Tastes like a normal, average wheat with a lack of flavor. Watery and disappointing.

M: strong carbonation, medium-bodied.

O: "Meh"

2.79/5  rDev -17.7%

This beer poured a slightly cloudy gold and orange body with a small white head. I thought it was bit too dark for a wheat, but it is different so I let the color slide. The head was non existent after a few minutes, maybe it was the glass but it wasn't big and fluffy to begin with. The taste was agave, spicy and sweet but nothing else. The beer didn't keep up with the agave juice thrown in here. The mouthfeel was syrupy not light and wheaty as I was expecting. I was really bummed by this beer, it had way too much agave syrup and not enough wheat beer to balance out the syrup.

Agave Wheat from Breckenridge Brewery