Agave Wheat - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: tgbljb on 01-24-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Agave Wheat Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

2.48/5  rDev -26.8%

Not the best wheat beer I've had. A bit watery and thin. Lacks body and is slightly over-carbonated for my liking. Hints of banana and bubble gum on the finish. Decent head that dissipated rather quickly. Minimal lacing. Wouldn't go out of the way for this one.

1.92/5  rDev -43.4%

BOOM!

Uncap this and you get an explosion that makes you jam the bottle into your mouth while you run to the nearest sink.
My keyboard is all wet now since i opened this at my desk. Really quick and caught me off guard. infection? other issue?
Body color is hazy orange. some lacing.
The aroma gives off an agave, aloe vera like aroma, some banana, and wheat.
Once again the Agave is perceptible, rather strongly i would say too. Lemon is a standout, really sweet overall, carb is low making the mouthfeel undesirable.

Wont buy again.

2.43/5  rDev -28.3%

Not the biggest fan of wheats, but I like one every now and then, especially if something is different about it. I've never had an agave beer before so I thought I'd give it a try.

The poor is cloudy and golden. What I usually like to see in a wheat beer. Decent head.

Not getting a lot of smell, but I attribute that to the other overpowering food smells in the restaurant.

Mouthfeel is fine. About what I expected. Certainly not watery.

Very disappointed in the taste. I don't know what I was expecting, but it I at least thought I'd get the sweat citrusy taste of a wheat or cloves. Its mostly bready tasting like a lager and very little sweetness.

I can see this being popular with people being introduced to craft beers, but it lacks the complexity I was hoping for.

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Very cloudy golden with an off white head an inch thick.

Aroma: A nice dryness in the nose. Cinnamon, ginger, corriender, Floral hops and a good spice note.

Taste: Apple, cinnamon, spice notes, crisp mouthfeel. Floral hop, with a touch of lemon zest.

Notes: A good beer start to finish and very drinkable. Cheers.

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Originally reviewed 2/12/12.

Oh hey, it's a beer brewed with agave nectar (as the label says). I can't say that I've seen anything like that before.

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a beautiful head into my glass. The color is right. The head is a plus. I can't see anything to complain about here.

Citrus and wheat welcome the nose to the show. The agave sticks around, which is quite the surprise. Otherwise, it's your run of the mill american pale wheat.

Ditto on the flavor. The agave adds some sweetness but not much else. I have to admit that it's a good attempt to diversify this example from others.

Finishes with a slightly acidic note but not much else. Standard wheat flavor lingers.

Not bad but you can do better. Perfect for someone who's never had the style though so good marks for that.

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Pours a nice cloudy orange color with a small white head that disappears quickly

S- Has a decent aroma of Orange and barley and some hints of honey as well

T- Starts off with a sweet orange taste then followed by some wheat flavors and then ends with a citrus flavor

M- Medium Bodied with decent carbonation

D-Overall this was a very drinkable beer. Didn't have the complexity i was looking for but overall a very tasty brew. I prob. won't be seeking it out b/c i think there are other beers that are similar that i like way more. But overall i was pleased to try it.

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

4.17/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass. The beer is a hazy rusty honey color. The white sea-foam head eventually dissipates to a thin film of bubbles. Light lacing occurs. The beer smells quite sweet and tropical with faint malt and wheat in the background. The taste is spot-on for the name -- the sweet agave nectar hits first, followed by a classic unfiltered wheat backbone. The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied and very drinkable.

Overall, I like this take on the wheat beer. How many agave wheat beers are out there? The low ABV is great for sessioning this anytime of year, in my opinion. This is not my favourite Breckenridge beer by any means, but it most definitely is my favourite wheat beer.

Agave Wheat from Breckenridge Brewery