Lucky U IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

Lucky U IPALucky U IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 06-28-2009

Amarillo, Magnum, Perle, Cascade, Apollo, Fuggle, Golding hops.

Two Row Pale, Munich, Carmel, Torrified Wheat malts.

68 IBU.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,158 | Reviews: 323
3.19/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pretty underwhelmed by this one, nothing jumps out to me. Stick with their Vanilla Porter

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours pale amber color, quite cloudy guessing from hop debris, white head, creamy and long lasting.

Some nice pine notes in the aroma, but fairly restrained.

Malt sweetness never sings on its own. Hop earthiness and pine flavors take over and lead to a sharply bitter finish tinged with those same flavors. A fairly old school IPA in terms of hops and bitterness.

Medium body and carbonation. Feels lively on the tongue between the carbonation and the intense bitterness, but not unpleasant or astringent. No warming.

Liked more than I expected based on the "okay" BA score. Clean and bitter, with tried and true hops rather than the latest fad.

Had it on Nitro for this rating... Bottle was better...

4.44/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Crisp, smooth, great tasting IPA

2.06/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Easy drinking, light ipa beer.

4.33/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A bit malt heavy for your typical IPA. Packs a small punch with the ABV %. Good solid beer.

2.94/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Not a fan. Little taste compared to others of the same price range. Smooth mouthfeel, but that's it's only redeeming quality.

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy pale/medium amber producing 2 fingers of frothy, beige, somewhat lasting head that leaves clumpy rings & sheets of lace. Aroma has malt tones of caramel & a burnt toastiness, wrapped in heady pine & light citrus hops & not much else. Taste is bitter caramel, pine, floral & orange & by mid-sip the same burnt toast notes of the nose. Peppery throughout. Finishes bittersweet developing into a pine resin, bitter hop bite & slightly burnt aftertaste. Not much malt sweetness at all. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, creamy but very prickly with an astringent aftertaste.

3.74/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: light amber, golden color. Little to no head
Smell: Sweet, light fruity with a slight peppery hit to the back of my throat
Taste: A lighter IPA. Not as fruity as I would have expected and I enjoy that.
Feel: Light almost flat little to no carbonation..
Overall: Pretty good beer taste much lighter then the 6.2% label I would never expected it to be that strong

2.29/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Creamy mouthfeel but very very little flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +24%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Better than I was expecting after seeing previous reviews. Pleasantly surprised. I can't go in depth, but this is an upper tier IPA. Great flavor.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Lucky U IPA pours lightly copper tinted gold with a light chill haze under a 2’ bone white fluffy foam cap. It has a bready malt nose with just a hint of citrusy hops. Bready malt leads the palate through citrus flavors to a big bitter grapefruit rind dry finish. The texture is creamy created by fine soft carbonation and a medium body for drinkability.

3.36/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: [3.00] Brownish/tan color. Very lackluster head formation. There are also "floaties" in the beer. Little flecks of white floating about. The ABV is listed at 6.2%. There is a best by date of 1/1/15 (so this is 2 weeks over due)

S: [3.25] I am getting malts and some nuttiness.

T: [3.50] Has nice bitter bite up front. I was surprised at the aggressiveness given the nose. I expected a malty IPA. The bitter start ends with a sweet malt finish.

M: [3.50] Maybe a little higher carbonation than normal. There is a bit of a dry finish with some hop bitterness lingering.

O: [3.25] I had low expectations based on the nose and the appearance - but this one did okay. It is not the greatest IPA but I'd drink another - especially if I could get one fresh.

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had it on Nitro, really enjoyed it

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured 12oz can into glass. 6.2% abv

Appearance- Hazy apricot orange with a lofty two-finger head.

Smell- Oranges, bready malt, and grains.

Taste- Citric hots first, and resembles tastes of orange and tangerines. Floral as well. Sweet malt flavors come through as well. The finish is dry and bitterness lingers in the palate.

Mouthfeel- Medium-heavy in body with ample carbonation. Smooth.

Overall- A sweet and refreshing IPA. Not on the strong side, but a decent entry level IPA. Good appropriate tastes make this a good offering. Quite smooth as well. Not bad at all.

3.47/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2014-12-20 in Lancaster, PA at The Fridge

3.25/5  rDev -5%

I am a huge fan of Breckenridge Brewery, but this brew is a bit disappointing. I don't have a glass available, so I can't do a full review, but ..

The bitterness and hoppiness overwhelms the beer a bit. I LOVE good hops and bitter beer, I should add, but there this beer lacks balance. It's not terrible. It does have a citrus flavor to it that is nice, but more would be better.

Also, I've read other reviews. I wonder if this beer lacks consistency? Some mention how little hops they taste while others mentions how over the top the hops is with this beer. I realize people enjoy a plethora of tasting preferences, but this one seems to enjoy a vastly disparate set of reviews.

Anyway, it's a 3.25. I enjoyed the beer -- and it has a dryness that makes me want another beer. I actually like that part of this beer quite a bit. I like the beer, but I don't love it.

A little more balance and this beer immediately moves from 3.25 to 4.5, imho.

3.36/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz.

Pours a hazy amber orange, fine off-white head retains indefinitely as a film.

Smells of citrusy hops and orange blossom honey. Some bready malts.

Tastes of vegetal hops and mild biscuit malt. Kind of bland. Dry hop finish.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A very pretty beer with a decent aroma and body is marred by subpar flavor. It's not terrible, but certainly inferior to any number of other IPAs. Ultimately would have to pass on this one in the future.

2.49/5  rDev -27.2%

If Miller Lite is triple-hopped, then Lucky U IPA is sevendruple-hopped. I think it's great lampooning, and honestly part of the reason I grabbed a bottle. From a 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

The pour is dark for an IPA, going into an amber orange color. On top rests a creamy head with fair retention and there are some strings of lacing which stick to the glass. A smell a few pellets of raw hops (bits of grapefruit and lemon) and a caramelized malt base.

Lucky U offers a rather bitter flavor. In fact, it's overwhelming in the scheme of things. Grapefruit rind, bitter grass, bitter tea. I can't seem to find the base malt, though I do find a note of the 6.2% alcohol. I feel like I've switched gears from the Miller Lite triple-hopped propaganda to Keystone Light's bitter beer face. And the beer feels a little lighter as well for its size.

Lucky U, unlucky me. This was disappointing.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer was naughty for me by someone who is not a beer drinker. I just requested "anything that says ipa".

It has a Yeast'y odor out of the bottle which was a little sweet smelling.

I found it to have a slight sour taste up front but a fair bodied hoppiness that lingered for an extended length of time along the sides of the tongue.

It wasn't overly bitter. Since I am on a work trip and while im staying in a hotel room, I dont have a proper glass to drink it out of.

Overall I enjoyed it. I would definitely buy it for another round.

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

Had this poured into a pint glass. Color was an orangish copper, completely clear. The taste had slight hops and slight citrus, but very mild. Not a ton of head, little lacing. Fairly mediocre.

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz glass at Aviator's lounge in DIA, Broncos are ahead by a TD or so.

This beer appears a clear, medium bronzed amber colour, with a thin cap of wispy, and ethereal off-white head, which leaves some random specks of islet lace around the glass as things slowly drop away.

It smells of orange and red grapefruit flesh, a stoney flintiness, bready, crackery caramel malt, a bit of lemon polish, and leafy, weedy hops. The taste is acrid pine needle, orange and lemon rind, crackery, grainy caramel malt, and leafy, somewhat grassy hops - simple!

The bubbles are quite tight, and perhaps a tad frothy, the body a solid medium weight, with the hops and carbonation interfering with any latent smoothness. It finishes just off-dry, the caramel malt showing off its legs, alongside some consistently bitter and lingering hops.

A decent IPA, one which falls on the bitter side of hoppy, and the hoppy side of balanced. Its drying tendencies could make for multiple rounds, were I so inclined.

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

A friend visiting me gave this to me.
I poured it into a pint glass.
The appearance was a ruddy burnt orange to amber color with foamy white head that died within about a minute leaving barely any lacing.
The smell had a burnt bready/almost caramel maltiness but even that part was mostly just a toasty sort of edge to it.
The taste seemed a bit off as I didn't really get the bitterness I normally get from AIPA's. It was a toasty/burnt bready caramel off - ness.
The mouthfeel had the same weird bready burnt caramel flavoring coating my tongue and mouth.
Overall, not really an AIPA I cared for. Though it was nice to try something out of my current distro.

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Overall a pretty good beer. Not my favorite ipa, but an nice variation from the west coast styles I've been drinking. Only drank from a can, so can't comment on appearance or smell much, but it tastes filling. Pretty bready, average flavors all around. What little crispness was there to begin with went away quickly as it warmed up and flattened. Would try again if it was offered, but probably wouldn't buy it.

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz into my snifter glass. No date on bottle (BOO! I don't know why I broke my IPA rule), however, the store I bought from has good rotation so... whatever. Rolled the dice, and it was definitely fresh upon opening. Medium amber/coppery hue in the glass with a very light pure white head. Left some lacing in the glass. Aroma of grass (piney) and light citrus. The astringent, piney note from the aroma was very present in the mid-range of the taste (Centennial I would bet), with a decently balanced bitterness. Not much fruity aspect to the taste, slightly overpowered by the pine. Decent mouthfeel, a bit dry. Overall, this was more than I expected from Breckenridge (though I admittedly may have not enjoyed many of their fresh offerings)... might benefit from a bit of a heavier malt profile, but a nice choice for someone who especially enjoys the piney hops.

to view more.