Lucky U IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

Lucky U IPALucky U IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Amarillo, Magnum, Perle, Cascade, Apollo, Fuggle, Golding hops.

Two Row Pale, Munich, Carmel, Torrified Wheat malts.

68 IBU.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 06-28-2009)
3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Pours into my pint glass with a clear light red body. Small creamy white head only forms to a small size, falls quickly. A few spots of lace here and there.

S- A pretty nice balance of malt and hops. Hops lend a decent amount of citrus, fruit and pine notes. Malt balances with caramel. Some bread from the yeast. Starts fairly strong but fades fast.

T- Yeast lends dark fruit and bread notes. Malt gives some light caramel and sweetness. Hops lend floral, pine, grapefruit and zesty hints.

MF- Silky, creamy light body with moderate carbonation. Nice smooth feel with a decent amount of bitterness.

DB- A decent beer but I just don't feel like there is much going on here, nothing to anchor it. The flavors and aroma sort of fade eventually to a bready hop mix. Just doesn't balance out all that well.

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

12oz bottle picked up as a single. i couldnt find any freshness information on the bottle. drank from my samuel adams perfect pint glass.

A- this one pours a translucent golden colored body with a small eggshell colored head on top. the head is quick to fall and leaves behind small, thin rings of lacing.

S- sweet caramel malts and toasted bread are the first things to greet my nose. after that, i get plenty of hops to back it up. lots of grapefruit and pine. a little bit of orange peel. this one smells pretty fresh.

T- the taste starts out with the toasted bread and sweet caramel malts that i noticed in the nose. after that it quickly moves onto the main attraction, the hops. lots of resiny pine and grapefruit. a little bit of orange zest.

M- medium bodied with a nice level of carbonation. nice and bitter. finishes dry.

D- this bottle was easy to finish. while not a terrible example, its pretty mediocre in a very much over saturated style. i dont see myself working this into my regular rotation, but i also dont see myself turning one down.

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bright medium amber color with light head and little lacing left on the glass.

Slight citrus in the nose backed with sweet malts. The flavor is a bit subdued for an American IPA and slightly sour. Good medium body.

Served before my meal, I was thinking I would not finish it. However, the burger and barbeque sauce that I ate as I drank the rest seemed to balance and enhance some of the flavors and made for not a bad lunch.

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%

A - A hazy orange topped by a frothy and light eggshell white head standing over two inches tall. The lacing left along the pint glass is very nice. This lucky brew is a looker.

S - Bitter hoppy aroma consisting of pine, grass and a hint of grapefruit.

T - Bitter hops and not much more that that. Not an impressive tasting IPA but it does meet the need.

M - Soft and rather smooth condiering the style. It has a nice thickness to it that really makes it go down easy.

~ The look and the feel are worth the time. Unfortunately the taste and smells leave much to be desired. There are better IPAs out there, which is why I cannot recommend this brew.

3.38/5  rDev -1.2%

We just started getting Breckenridge Brewery Beers in New Hampshire in the last week or so. I split a two six packs with a pal of Lucky U IPA and the Oatmeal Stout.

I poured the beer into a pint glass. It has a nice amber color. The smell is more malty sweet than hoppy. The first taste was nice and smooth. The hop character was mild but pleasant. Not as hoppy as I like my IPA's, but nice nonetheless. The aftertaste was also malty with just a hint of hoppiness.

I actually like that this IPA is not quite as hoppy as other IPAs. It's a nice variation of the style.

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

Clear yellow with a copper tint, topped with a one-finger white head with decent retention, thin but substantial at the bottom of the glass. Nice rings of lacing.

Sweet malt in the nose with a bit of floral hop, earthiness, and grapefruit. The mix of hops is evident here.

Gentle carbonation as malt sweetness hits the front of the tongue, and a bit of bread grain. All hop characteristics are present, but the balance is on the sweet side. Medium body with a slight oil and chewiness. Pine resin fully emerges in the finish as it turns to earth.

Pleasant drinking with a nice hop blast at the end of the sip, lingering long enough for the next one. Not something I'd pick against other existing IPAs but since I've got the six-pack, not a problem to finish.

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured this brew into a pint glass. The bottle had no bottled on date or bb date available.

A- Pours a nice a light brown. Not straw like but more towards the amber side. I small amount oh head emerged. Barely any large bubbles just a block of foam that stuck to the glass for about a minute. Slightly hazy and hard to see through but still not fully opaque.

S- Malty and grain right up front. I think it might be more of a roasted malt character that hits me in the beginning. I definitely et a nice hoppy note too. Just maybe not as much of most of the great IPA's i've had do.

T- Taste is much different than the original smell. I got almost nothing but roasted malt and grain from the smell but i get a nice layered hop character in the taste. A great fullness to it. Carbonated.

M&D- Goes down pretty well. A nice carbonation keeps the brew light as it goes down. I think its in medium body; not fully thick but not water like either. I do like the consistency and think it would be a great brew to session. Its not overwhelmingly aggressive

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. brown bottle. Lucky U claims to be a Hoppy Homage to a Denver landmark. Pours a somewhat hazy orange golden in color with half an inch of soapy white foam. Moderate retention and some decent lacing follow.

Nose seems as though it may be a bit dated as it resembles many an ok IPA but no great ones. Primarily citric hops sit alongside some more earthy notes, and a caramel stitch is everpresent. Warms to offer decent variety and depth.

Flavor is more malt forward with orange and caramel, and offers a decent spice and texture on the finish. Nothing deters nor attracts to any notable degree, a solid single down the left field line. Offers a full feel and a pleasant tingly carbonation and texture, finishing with a slightly rancid citric hop nature, though not nearly as distinct as many a 'Northwest' IPA. Somewhat mundane on the finish keeps the drink in check.

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a slightly hazy amber/orange colour with a large size frothy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for only a few minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - malts, caramel, cookies, tangerine, hops

Taste & Mouth - There is a low amount of carbonation and the beer feels slightly creamy on the tongue. Most of the taste is made up of caramel mixed with hops and malts. I can also taste notes of pine, tangerine, and a cookie like sweetness. The beer finishes with a mild lingering hop/pine aftertaste.

Drink - I found this beer to be a little unbalanced. With a little tinkering it could be pretty good. It's a good beer.. just not great. It was still worth a try though.

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Decent Color with nice white head

S: Nice floral smell with some citrus notes

T: Not to hoppy but loses flavor at the end

M: I like how the hops don't over whelm my pallet

D: I could drink a six pack of this no problem if there where no other Ipa's to chose from at the store

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug. Aroma was all hops; pine and just a hint of citrus. Pour was a nice dark gold with a one finger off white head. Taste was all hops as well. Strong bitter citrus with some earth and a slight peachiness to it. A very one sided hoppy beer which is a plus in my book. Nice carbonation and a drying bitter aftertaste. Not bad.

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

I won't lie, I was slightly disappointed in this beer. I have tried lots of Breckenridge brews and was, for the most part, impressed with all of them. This one however, just didn't quite cut the mustard.

There isn't quite as bold of a taste as I was expecting and that was my first notch against it. The smell is good, but nothing really stands out. Its got good mouthfeel and goody body. I would rank this as a very solid IPA. That being said, I would not place this in the up eschelon of American IPA's.

Add some more hops Breckenridge and you'll win me over.

This beer pours the expected ruby orange color with two fingers of head that quickly fades to one finger then slowly recedes, retaining a nice layer on top. The smell is fruit juicy hops, with orange, citrus, and melon dominating the front of the nose. A sweet smelling malt rounds out the bottom of the nose. This brew reminds me of 60 minutes, which is good.

Glug glug glug

The flavor tastes bitterer than the nose would have one believe, even then though it's pretty well balanced and tasty. Herbal bitterness that fades into a bittersweet fruit citrus rind flavor that in the end is sweetened mostly by the malt base rather than any hop combination. Overall a pretty nice IPA, a little watery in the mouth feel but this certainly holds its own against most IPAs I've had over the years.

4.4/5  rDev +28.7%

Very good IPA for the money. Picked this up in a "pick you own 6 pack" for $6 for the whole thing. Poured into a sniffer to enjoy.

A - Looked great to start with. THEN I held it up to the light. It looked like a snow globe because there was so much stuff floating around inside the glass. The beer had a great caramel color.

S - Hops, fruit, caramel and woody. Very good

T - Was great. When the beer was at 40 degrees it was a little light in the flavor, but once it reached around 50 the flavors developed quite a bit more.

M - Clean feel and very smooth.

D - All of these make for a good drinking beer.

I'm going to be fairly short and sweet. To me this was a very run-of-the-mill craftbrew American IPA. No distinct originality here at all in flavor and a dry bitter hop aftertaste that lingers too long for what I like. For IPA lovers, I'm sure this one will be acceptable but I just find this a very generic beer for the style.

3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

Very interesting and somewhat different offering in comparison to most IPA's that tend toward the bitter/sour/citrus. This has an abundance of dryness, not sure if just hops or dry malts as well. Hops emphasis seems to be more on flavor and florals.

A= golden amber, modest quickly-fading head.

S= somewhat light but with nice hops florals and sweet malts.

T= plenty of nice hops florals (Amarillo, Magnum, Perle, Cascade, Apollo, Fuggle, Goldings) and although it doesn't seem all that bitter it's rated at 68 IBU. A bit dry on the tongue, light sweetness and sweet malts. Huge grassy hops in the belch!

M= somewhat dry, with plentiful grassy hops varieties to savor for a while, very light sweetness.

D= very. Definitely worth the try even if it's not a session beer for you.

4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

No kidding - one of my CANtacts laid this on me in a CAN during a recent visit! I CAN't believe that I am the first reviewer for this serving type, but it really does exist. I am not simply padding The CANQuest (TM) numbers - if I were to do that and got caught at it, I would be beyond ashamed.

From the CAN: "A hoppy homage to a Denver landmark - the Tivoli brewery"; "Drink Up Fortuitous One"; "Breckenridge Brewery - Fine Colorado Ales".

The Crack revealed a beer that was anxious to come out and play! It was filled nearly to the brim and an instant burble of light-tan head came right up and out. I like when my beer is exciting. Equally exciting was the aftermath of the Glug as I looked at two thick fingers of eggshell-white head with great retention. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was grapefruit-citrusy up front with a slight mintiness (spearmint) behind it. Oh sweet mercy, I have been jonesing for not just an IPA, but some CANned IPA and my prayers have been answered! Lucky ME! Mouthfeel was medium with an initial blast of citrusy hops accompanied by a caramel maltiness in the mouth. I began to think (again) of the Brach's Orange Caramels that my grandmother put out on the coffee table in my youth. In the meantime, the lacing began to appear and it was thick and sticky, perhaps requiring a jackhammer to get it off later. Finish was initially breathtaking in its hoppiness and cooled by the caramel flavor on the extreme finish. This was freakin' GREAT! Man, I would absolutely put some of these CANs in my cooler (if I could just find some).

For those that may scoff at The CANQuest (TM) efforts, you might take a look at my scores for this in a bottle. The CAN really allowed the hops to hold up nicely and it has caused me to reCANsider a beer that I had previously dismissed.

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours a light copperish color. Thin head but sticks around for a bit.

S: To me this is a typical IPA smell, but kicked up a bit. It has an extremely hoppy smell to it with very little malts.

T: Grapefruits and bitter. Extremely smooth though for all the hops. Bitter after taste but doesn't seem too strong.

At 68 IBU's, this beer is actually pretty good. I have tried several IPA's and as they go this is probably my second favorite and actually has the most hops in it. There is a nice malt flavor but not a lot. Since I don't drink IPA's much this probably won't make the rotation in my fridge, but as part of the variety pack offered by Breckenridge it's a refreshing brew. GREAT BEER BRECKENRIDGE BREWERY!!!!

3.9/5  rDev +14%

Poured a light copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a soft cereal malt and grassy hop.

The taste consisted of smooth cereal grains and a balancing hop. Some residual herbalness as well.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a mellow and enjoyable IPA.

2.95/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a cloudy orange, pretty thick head that recedes quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smells like cascade hops and some sweetness. Smelled better out of the bottle than it did in the glass.

Tastes like mild citrus--quite bit of orange flavor--and a less desirable soapy flavor. Some sweetness underneath, but little defined malt flavor. Tastes linger bitter in not a good way. A metallic, soapy taste sticks around a long time.

Mouthfeel is ordinary. Not too thick, not too thin.

This beer is drinkable in terms of lightness, body and mouthfeel, but the flavor to me is very lacking.

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a light copper amber color with pretty good head retention and lacing. Don't get a whole lot on the nose, but what I get is pretty attractive. It consists of some light orange citrus and a hint of pine. Mouthfeel replicates the nose pretty closely in this fairly light, dry and light weight IPA. Mouthfeel is light, with a fairly dry and bitter finish. Drinkabiity is pretty good I guess. You can tell the abv. is fairly low, and the beer isn't completely devoid of flavor. That being said, this has to be one of the more "mehhh" IPA's I've had in some time. Really not very impressive.

3.9/5  rDev +14%

Light orange, somewhat cloudy, hopefully from unfiltered hop oils, with a small head after an aggressive pour, though the lacing is sticky and appetizing.

Big, skunky aroma of fresh cut plants with a deep earthiness from some super dank hops. A sweet, sugar water aroma comes from the delicate malt aroma. Also smells pretty clean.

Mmmm, that big, earthy hop taste. What hop is that? One of the newer varieties? Regardless and nice distinctive hop profile. Bitterness is all up front and finishes extremely clean with only faint hints of residual oils.

Quite watery for the big flavor

This one tastes and smells different from the main stream craft IPAs, which is a pretty new category I'll give it that. I could see how some would be put off by the flavor and aroma, but if they only knew how difficult it is to make a beer this complex. Great hop profile, whatever it is.

$2.49 single from Oak Tree.

Slightly darkish orange hazy body, topped by two and a half fingers of dense level white foam. Thin lace rally coats the glass.

Piney aroma, pleasant but not assertive.

Sweet malt makes a quick opening appearance, then a blast of piney hops, and then, surprisingly, the sweetness returns. Mixed with some bitter.

Light mouthfeel, bubbly. Easy drinking, could have a couple, would lose interest with more.

An okay IPA, fine in hand, but not worth a search.

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

I liked this beer. Not as much as Stone, Southern Tier, Mad River, or Dogfish head 60 min IPA but it lands its place in my heart. Pours a dark amber which is kind of cool for a regular IPA. Mild debris in the bottom bottle may mean I had an old one. Smells of mild hops and malts nothing fancy. Taste is slightly bitter but pretty balanced IPA, wasn't offended but kind of forgettable. Mouthfeel was light to medium body, easy drinker.

Overall I would not seek this one out but would show it to someone who just got into hops as a nice starter beer. Then would show them to the fine products of stone. A pretty nice B rated beer.

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a golden amber/orange with a fluffy white head.Lotts of bubbles. Good retention and lots of laceing. Aroma is of citrus hops. Body is light and carbonated. Taste is of grassy piney hops. Bitter finish. Lucky U is worth a try, but nothing spectacular.

Lucky U IPA from Breckenridge Brewery