Lucky U IPA - Breckenridge Brewery

Lucky U IPALucky U IPA

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 06-28-2009

Amarillo, Magnum, Perle, Cascade, Apollo, Fuggle, Golding hops.

Two Row Pale, Munich, Carmel, Torrified Wheat malts.

68 IBU.
Reviews: 319 | Hads: 1,201
3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Pours a orange and golden colored clear liquid into the glass. The head is uneven and about three fingers high before it slowly goes down to about one finger high leaving lots of lacings on the glass.

S: Floral hops, a hint of grapefruit, barley and some earthy tones. There is also a smell that resembles detergents.

T: Lots of grapefruit peel up front. But there is an earthy tone that quickly takes over before the grapefruit tones comes back again. The aftertaste is pleasantly bitter. However, the tastes don't play well together in this one. Something feels a bit off.

M: Medium to Low carbonation, leaving almost no tickeling on the tongue. Medium body.

O: An IPA in the average range. Nothing spectacular, but it does it job.

2.21/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a lovely clear, amber with a significant head composed of large bubbles. A thin layer of head remains throughout the session and laces nicely.

S: One whiff discovers a sharp and ferrous aroma with a tinge of rock-candy sweetness.

T: A faint and subtle, malty sweetness is soon overcome by a sharp iron-oxide tartness that lingers, and curls the tongue, long after each sip.

M: Initially full to the point of thickness, each sip dissolves into a carbonated fizz.

O: Perhaps my sample is too old. I can't imagine that anyone would taste this and say, "Yeah, iron!" But that's what this thing tastes like: a semi-sweet, thick-n-fizzy, rusted, cast-iron, beer. This is why freshness labels are so important. I'm willing to give Breckenridge the benefit of the doubt and call this one over-ripe. I hope that is the case.... otherwise this beer is supremely sub-par.

3.57/5  rDev +2%

From a diconic,

Very nice foamy, pillowy head; loads o' lacing. Typical deep amber
color for an AIPA.

Very potent nose with plenty of hops but much more malt
smell than almost any AIPA that I have had. It's a complex of
aromas hence I gave it a higher than average score there.

The foretaste is kind of citrusy(?) but rapidly followed with those buckets of malt then a bitterness at the back of the tongue.

The feel is just average, not notable.

Very worthy beer and more complex than most AIPAs. If you
are looking for fresh hops to dominate, this is not the AIPA for
you. But, if you like maltiness with a good portion of bitter, then
definitely check this out.

3.43/5  rDev -2%

A: Pours a light copperish color. Thin head but sticks around for a bit.

S: To me this is a typical IPA smell, but kicked up a bit. It has an extremely hoppy smell to it with very little malts.

T: Grapefruits and bitter. Extremely smooth though for all the hops. Bitter after taste but doesn't seem too strong.

At 68 IBU's, this beer is actually pretty good. I have tried several IPA's and as they go this is probably my second favorite and actually has the most hops in it. There is a nice malt flavor but not a lot. Since I don't drink IPA's much this probably won't make the rotation in my fridge, but as part of the variety pack offered by Breckenridge it's a refreshing brew. GREAT BEER BRECKENRIDGE BREWERY!!!!

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

This poured opaque orange with a 2 finger head that quickly disappeared to a few lumps. Smells of yeast and some citrus. Taste is very yeasty right away. Orange notes are nice, but the hops and yeast are prominent. Pretty nicely balanced. Oily mouth and creamy finish is pleasing too. Drinkable and tasty, I like this offering by one of my favorite brew-makers. Hope the horseshoe gives my COLTS some luck today.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a 1/2 inch head and leaves a slight lacing on the glass. It has a light copper color.

The smell is as malty as it is hoppy. A touch of spice but nothing that really jumps out. Pretty good balance.

The taste is caramel malt, spices and a hint of hoppiness at the end. Good balance but a little straight forward. No flavor is really in control and no flavor is really that amazing, but it is good because of the balance.

Mouthfeel is decent, above average in fact. Not too carbonated and leaves a nice dryness on the tongue.

Overall the beer is above average and worth a try but I would not buy a 6-pack. A single bottle was good enough for me. Pretty good in general.

2.45/5  rDev -30%

I've had a Breckenridge beer before - I don't recall exactly what it was - but I know it wasn't this one. I think Brekenridge's Lucky-U-IPA is a nice ale-ish beer and I'd be content to have it over many other ales EXCEPT that it says that it is an IPA - and I am forced to review it in the IPA style. And in my book, IPA's have a couple of high notes that need to be approached or hit but NEVER MISSED.

1. AROMA is for me the #1 keynote - it ANNOUNCES the IPA - you should be able to say while blindfolded - "prob'lee an IPA". This beer had a hint of something light & grassy but was essentially vaporless.

2. FLAVOR must ring of herbal, floral or spicy hop accents and aftertastes. Lucky-U-IPA approaches here. It has a hop sting with grassy aftertaste - nice summery edge to it. I'd place it much higher in the Pale Ale category than I can in the IPA category - only because there are so many excellent IPA's readily available.

In other notes:

APPEARANCE = Hazy amber
HEAD = One finger fading fast, some open lace
MOUTHFEEL = right up the middle where it ought to be with a hop sting

If you are looking for an unoffensive Pale Ale - here you go. If you really need an IPA, keep shopping.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap at Melt Bar & Grilled in Cleveland Heights. Poured into a stemless wine glass or tumbler.

A - The beer is light amber in color with a medium sized white head that leaves a good amount of lacing. Looks highly carbonated and refreshing.

S - Smells very citrusy, hoppy and sharp. Maybe a bit of caramel on the end of the nose. Hops definitely are number one on this IPA.

T - Hops hops and more hops. Lots of orange and lemon as well. Sweetness comes through at the end. Suprisingly smooth.

M - Mouthfeel is very light and carbonated. Makes the sweetness and smoothness work even better.

D - Drinkability is pretty good. Lots of hops and good sweetness and a smooth overall drink make this pretty good. I'd have it again but wouldn't run out right away to grab a six pack.

4.2/5  rDev +20%

Very enjoyable standard IPA copper-colored with swirling whitish-cream head. Initial grapefruit-pine aroma and taste with bitter aftertaste. Somewhat lacking in the middle, slightly metallic. On the bitter end of the continuum of regular IPA's. Average mouthfeel, nothing too fizzy. Very drinkable, as the alcohol is not that high. Of course I did not like it as much as the 471, but I think that is a more premium version of this.

4.05/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look is a nice Amber color. Smell is not very strong but a decent maltiness. Taste is mildly hoppy but good. Feel is slightly sharp but not syrupy. Overall a good beer.

4.15/5  rDev +18.6%

I bought a 6-pack of Lucky U IPA at Halls in Grapevine for $10.

Lovely copper pour with 1 inch of head. Moderate lacing during the tasting.

A great aroma of hops, sweet malts, orange and a little green grass.

A nice bitter start without overdoing it, the 68 IBU is very clean and not at all overpowering. There is also a pleasant floral character in the hopiness. The middle is spicy with lemongrass & a hint of mint. The finish is smooth, with lingering hops, citrus and caramel.

Nicely carbonated and very smooth, this IPA is a delight to drink. No hint of the 6.2 ABV.

If I were to point a finger anywhere it would be at the sweetness. I would like just a little more up front, like caramel or molasses. Otherwise I loved it and will drink it again.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Clear copper with off white, lasting head.

S - Earthy, piney hops dominate. Bready malt backnotes.

T - Earthy hops and a nice bread, caramel malt balance. Dry and bitter.

M/ F - Stong earthy notes gave an English IPA slant. Bready malts cut into hops. Light mf. Okay IPA

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- A hazy amber color with a light foamy head that is about an inch or so high. It sticks around for a little bit and then turns into a nice lacing around the edge and spots in the middle.

S- Pretty good, nice hopiness. The more I dive into the scent there is a maltiness that develops over time.

T- Smooth hopiness that turns into a big bitterness as it sits on the tongue.

M- Pretty solid body for an IPA with a light carbonation that blends well with the hops.

O- It's a standard IPA that isn't shockingly good, but I would drink it again.

2.99/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance is cloudy hazy golden yellow.

Smells slightly of dull hops

It's an IPA, all right, but the hops and evergreen are vague.

Medium to light mouthfeel.

This is a disappointing effort from Breckenridge. The taste and appearance are cloudy and "off". It almost seems like a wheat beer is trying to sneak in, here. U are not lucky, I am not lucky, and it's barely an IPA.

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Nice off-white fluffy head with decent lacing on the way down the glass.

S: Piney hops, very clean. Picked up just a hint of some citrus and fruity esters

T: Big pine hops really dominate with a touch of citrus.

M: Quite a bit of fizz, but full and clean in the mouth with a nice dry finish.

D: Alcohol is a touch high for a session beer, but it goes down very, very easy. For an IPA this one is very, very drinkable and that is its biggest strength, easily one of the easiest drinking IPAs I've had.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

I am a huge fan of Breckenridge Brewery, but this brew is a bit disappointing. I don't have a glass available, so I can't do a full review, but ..

The bitterness and hoppiness overwhelms the beer a bit. I LOVE good hops and bitter beer, I should add, but there this beer lacks balance. It's not terrible. It does have a citrus flavor to it that is nice, but more would be better.

Also, I've read other reviews. I wonder if this beer lacks consistency? Some mention how little hops they taste while others mentions how over the top the hops is with this beer. I realize people enjoy a plethora of tasting preferences, but this one seems to enjoy a vastly disparate set of reviews.

Anyway, it's a 3.25. I enjoyed the beer -- and it has a dryness that makes me want another beer. I actually like that part of this beer quite a bit. I like the beer, but I don't love it.

A little more balance and this beer immediately moves from 3.25 to 4.5, imho.

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Nice three finger head, decent clear orangish color and a ridiculous amount of lacing. Smell...what smell? I really had to fight to find some slight candied caramel in the nose, maybe a tinge of citrus, but no where near the floral hop aroma that i expect out of an IPA. Taste wise, this beer just didn't do anything for me...bitterness and hops almost nonexistent by IPA standards and too much sweet malt to balance. Mouthfeel was super light and watery. I suppose this could easily be drank as a session beer, but wouldn't be worth it to me.

I don't know if this bottle was far beyond its prime or what, but I would not suggest this as an IPA example. Disappointing, especially considering Breckenridge makes a phenomenal DIPA, the Small Batch 471.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Has an orange-ish color with a thin, creamy head. Large amount of lacing stays on the edge of the glass.

Felt as if it had a more powerful smell of malt sweetness then it should have had of hops. Little bit of pine and citrus notes. Taste is more of the sweet malts with a good amount of citrus hop flavors. Has a medium body to it with decent carbonation.

A little bit of an underwhelming IPA, but still good nonetheless. Worth a shot if you're in the mood.

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

Very good IPA for the money. Picked this up in a "pick you own 6 pack" for $6 for the whole thing. Poured into a sniffer to enjoy.

A - Looked great to start with. THEN I held it up to the light. It looked like a snow globe because there was so much stuff floating around inside the glass. The beer had a great caramel color.

S - Hops, fruit, caramel and woody. Very good

T - Was great. When the beer was at 40 degrees it was a little light in the flavor, but once it reached around 50 the flavors developed quite a bit more.

M - Clean feel and very smooth.

D - All of these make for a good drinking beer.

4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

This Beer is lives up to what Breckenridge was going, a session IPA. It starts with a slight bitterness ending with a smooth hops that isn't over the top in your face. The hops are defiantly not over whelming but very nice to make this the perfect session IPA.

3.21/5  rDev -8.3%

I picked up a six-pack of 12 oz bottles of this, and was, quite frankly, far from overwhelmed. Served it in a standard pint - no head, even less lacing. Not much aroma, less flavor - it did not seem worth the money. Flavor seemed kind of bland for an IPA. Too bad - I liked the packaging and had high hopes.

3.74/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: light amber, golden color. Little to no head
Smell: Sweet, light fruity with a slight peppery hit to the back of my throat
Taste: A lighter IPA. Not as fruity as I would have expected and I enjoy that.
Feel: Light almost flat little to no carbonation..
Overall: Pretty good beer taste much lighter then the 6.2% label I would never expected it to be that strong

2.95/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pretty amber-gold color with some unfiltered cloudiness into a pint glass with a small amount of whitish head.

Smell is sweet tangerine and orange with a hint of bread malt. I'm intrigued, but wary.

Taste, for all the sweet, fruity nose it gave, is harshly bitter. Let me point out that I drink 90% IPAs. Bitter orange peel and a bit of malt are the closers for this IPA.

Mouthfeel is full, yet astringent, with more than average carbonation.

Overall, not a terrible IPA. Really different, but not necessarily in a good way. I'd drink it over a Shiner or Blue Moon or whatever faux-craft beer some crappy chain restaurant had, but I'd be unlikely to get one if any passable IPA were offered as an alternative.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

I'm not sure how, but they have managed to make and IPA-flavored juice. Not sharp at all, however it creates pretty weak taste for an IPA. Easy to drink... a little too easy for my liking.

2.98/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance : Gorgeous, rich amber color, slightly cloudy. Beautiful 1/2" fine frothy head, normal dissipation, dense, gorgeous lacing all around.

Smell : Subdued hop aroma with a strong malt backbone, nothing impressive.

Taste : Quite bitter, though not offensive

Mouthfeel : Medium-bodied, leaning a little too dense for my taste given the bitterness

Overall : A pretty standard, run-of-the-mill IPA, not very impressive, probably would never have it again - though, as I said, not an offensive brew by any means.

Lucky U IPA from Breckenridge Brewery