SummerBright Ale - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-30-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of SummerBright Ale Alström Bros

2.94/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Big white to slightly off white head just sort of sits there above a cloudy well carbonated washed out straw golden colored beer.

Light lemon citrus aroma without much else going on.

Light lemon and orange citrus taste, seems slightly washed out.

Light almost lemon sourish and slightly dry aftertaste on this light bodied beer.

Pretty light tasting beer, might be a nice beer to have in the evening on a super hot summer night.

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Enjoyed directly out of the can this time. No discernible date on the can to indicate bottling or best by date.

Appearance - I can't really comment here, having drunk it out of the can, but it did seem to have a light yellow hue to it. I scored appearance in line with my overall score.

Smell - Some grain and mild wheatiness, but mostly faint lemon. That's right, the "dominant" flavor is even pretty damn faint.

Taste - If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a shandy, based on how the predominant characteristic remains the lemon, and it has a sort of sweet lemon drink flavor to it, rather than the genuine, natural lemon notes you'll get from a good hefeweizen or wheat beer. It's not even good for the style really, because you just don't get much of the wheat out of the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and low carbonation. Easy to drink, but methinks they should have just gone for a full-on shandy and then at least people wouldn't be confused by the very present lemonade characteristics.

Overall, a beer I'm not likely to have again. Too much lemonade and not enough hops or wheat. Sure it's refreshing as a drink, but ultimately fails to live up to the title of "beer".

When I was in CO, I was given a 6-pack of cans. Thank you very much. Now it's time to review. I had this on tap at the Breckenridge Brewery but didn't review it at the time.

Poured from a can with no date code into a pint glass and got 1 1/2 fingers of head.

A: Pours a yellow straw color with 1 1/2 fingers of head that dissipates rather quickly to just cover the top of the glass but that stays until the end.

S: There is really nothing too much. Maybe a smell of yeast and some wheat.

T: Again, there is really nothing there. Some wheat is about all. I was expecting at least a little orange and lemon. It's kind of bland. That's what I thought of it on tap, too.

M: It is medium boded and finishes a little dry. The carbonation leaves quickly so I becomes bland fast and it is especially bland at the end. It is drinkable, though.

O: This is not my favorite beer but it is not a drain pour either. I guess that I'm more disappointed than anything in that I didn't notice any orange or lemon or anything citrusy. I am glad that I tried it, though. I don't think I will go to it again.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

3.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed this 12 oz beer out of a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden hue with a small white wispy lace that for a for awhile.

S: Fruity orange and wheat aroma.

T: Crisp and slightly tart flavor up front followed by a fruity middle and finished on the dry side of fruity.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Decent beer – nothing would I grab again.

SummerBright Ale from Breckenridge Brewery