SummerBright Ale - Breckenridge Brewery

good

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-30-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of SummerBright Ale Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Enjoyed directly out of the can this time. No discernible date on the can to indicate bottling or best by date.

Appearance - I can't really comment here, having drunk it out of the can, but it did seem to have a light yellow hue to it. I scored appearance in line with my overall score.

Smell - Some grain and mild wheatiness, but mostly faint lemon. That's right, the "dominant" flavor is even pretty damn faint.

Taste - If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a shandy, based on how the predominant characteristic remains the lemon, and it has a sort of sweet lemon drink flavor to it, rather than the genuine, natural lemon notes you'll get from a good hefeweizen or wheat beer. It's not even good for the style really, because you just don't get much of the wheat out of the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and low carbonation. Easy to drink, but methinks they should have just gone for a full-on shandy and then at least people wouldn't be confused by the very present lemonade characteristics.

Overall, a beer I'm not likely to have again. Too much lemonade and not enough hops or wheat. Sure it's refreshing as a drink, but ultimately fails to live up to the title of "beer".

When I was in CO, I was given a 6-pack of cans. Thank you very much. Now it's time to review. I had this on tap at the Breckenridge Brewery but didn't review it at the time.

Poured from a can with no date code into a pint glass and got 1 1/2 fingers of head.

A: Pours a yellow straw color with 1 1/2 fingers of head that dissipates rather quickly to just cover the top of the glass but that stays until the end.

S: There is really nothing too much. Maybe a smell of yeast and some wheat.

T: Again, there is really nothing there. Some wheat is about all. I was expecting at least a little orange and lemon. It's kind of bland. That's what I thought of it on tap, too.

M: It is medium boded and finishes a little dry. The carbonation leaves quickly so I becomes bland fast and it is especially bland at the end. It is drinkable, though.

O: This is not my favorite beer but it is not a drain pour either. I guess that I'm more disappointed than anything in that I didn't notice any orange or lemon or anything citrusy. I am glad that I tried it, though. I don't think I will go to it again.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

3.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed this 12 oz beer out of a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden hue with a small white wispy lace that for a for awhile.

S: Fruity orange and wheat aroma.

T: Crisp and slightly tart flavor up front followed by a fruity middle and finished on the dry side of fruity.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Decent beer – nothing would I grab again.

SummerBright Ale from Breckenridge Brewery