SummerBright Ale - Breckenridge Brewery

good

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of SummerBright Ale Alström Bros
3.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed this 12 oz beer out of a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden hue with a small white wispy lace that for a for awhile.

S: Fruity orange and wheat aroma.

T: Crisp and slightly tart flavor up front followed by a fruity middle and finished on the dry side of fruity.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Decent beer – nothing would I grab again.

ckollias, Aug 11, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Thedrizzle, Jun 16, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

I found this beer to be rather boring and rather unredeeming. I was expecting something like Leinie's Sunset Wheat, and I got a beer that was quite dull and indistinct.

Appearance was a pale yellow with a minimal amount of Sprite-like head. Aroma was corny and very faintly sweet. Flavor was very lightly fruity, but there wasn't much to it. Mouthfeel was slightly sticky. Not much to recommend it, and coming from Breckenridge I expected something better.

A 12oz bottle I picked up at Three Cellars in S. Milwaukee.

BeerBelcher, Apr 08, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

JamieDuncan, Oct 18, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Rather ugly color, piss yellow, slightly golden over a quickly fading one finger white head. Leaves plenty of spotty sticky lace over the glass.

Smells rather full for a summer ale, bready malts some sweetness, quite robust with some grassy notes coupled with wheat. I can't pick up the orange and lemon peel yet.

Once again rather full flavor, bready malts carried the whole way through assisted by a wheat twang, much more grassiness. Ends slightly dry with a little lemon zip on the finish.

Rather full body on this one for a wheat beer, modest carbonation and very smooth. That drying finish and tart kiss at the end could be more pronounced to balance out the body.

Not sure what I was expecting but this has got to be the heaviest wheat beer I've ever had, drinks more like an amber including the biscuit malty taste and has a surprising amount of body unlike some other Breckenridge offerings. Not exactly a light summer fare but I enjoyed it

rawfish, Apr 26, 2011
3.38/5  rDev +5%

Tried on June 24, 2008. 12 oz.

This very "bright" golden yellow beer pours with a small stark white head. The aroma is strangely like flour with a hint of tartness, but all faint. Fizzy, medium bodied brew that starts sweet-tart, but finishes dry. Aftertaste a bit like french bread with a touch of lemon peel bitterness.

so so.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

SFC21, May 10, 2012

Eric908, Jul 31, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +23.6%

A-bubbly gold with a nice white head

S-creamy and grassy grains. There's a decent crispness to it. Good strength

T-comes in with a very grainy taste, once again slightly grassy and creamy, but mostly all grains. It's a very smooth and clean taste. Crisp with a good matching after-taste and just a hint of bitterness.

M-medium creamy carbonation, somewhat watery, with a dry finish

O-this is a good summer beer. Very crisp and clean. It has a good lightness to it but lacks any hint to adjunct ingredients that I often find with summer beers. It's simple. I like it.

AdamBear, Jun 26, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Part of the Breckenridge sampler 12pk.

A: Slightly cloudy yellow, weak white head.
S: Faint wheat, grass.
T: Mild spices, not a lot else.
F: Light, watery, slightly slick.

D: Just kinda "meh." Not bad at all, but there's just way too much available to think about purchasing on it's own. Thankfully everything else in their sampler 12pk has been very good like I've come to expect from Breckenridge.

deadliest, Jan 23, 2011

BDeibs, Apr 10, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -13%

Very pale yellow pour with 1/2 finger light cream head. No retention and thin, sparse lace.

Nose is pretty unremarkable. Weak, weak malt and the faintest hint of lemon.

Malt and lemon are all I get in the flavor, too. Not bad, and refreshing. Just not terribly inspiring.

Feel is too thin and watery.

Just missed the Target for me.

beer2day, Sep 18, 2010

TheBigBoy, Sep 06, 2014

kew, Jun 30, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

Hazy dark straw with fine particles in suspension. A scant white head momentarily flashes above just long enough to leave a ring of lace on a tulip glass.

Some clove and coriander are equal to wet cardboard. The date code on the bottle is indecipherable and, from memory, my first bottle was similarly disappointing.

Tastes like a wheat ale, just uninspired. There is sweet grain here with yeast adding a slight musty fruit. All rather muddled and followed by a lingering acrid flavor.

Medium body with fizzy carbonation, no alcohol and a dry finish.

While suitable for consumption, more likely to be intended to be consumed en masse by the masses. This one lacks the qualities I seek in a beer.

SLeffler27, Apr 21, 2012

tykechandler, Jun 19, 2014

Karibourgeois, Mar 08, 2014

bzach, Oct 21, 2012

lucasj82, May 16, 2013

hiphopj5, Jun 19, 2012

kbrown, Sep 16, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

Picked this up last week in Jers - oh hell, it's summer and I wanted a beer that I could drink and not have to overanalyze to death. This fit the bill even though there's still something missing from this...

Blonde pour with no head or lacing to be seen. Heck, my glass looked like it has been washed after I got about 3/4 of the way down it. As for the taste, there's not much here. Sourness that wishes it was as subtle as a Belgian beer, straw that probably came from a vacant lot in in the inner city and wheat that couldn't be used as an ethanol substitute. They're all here and if you toss in some grass and ferment it, you'd probably get something close to this. No hops, no clove or banana, and no kidding. I only wish I did the landscaping at my house so I could mow the lawn with one of these in my hands.

I drank this quick - does that make this a good beer? I tend to drink water or Gatorade when I'm thirsty but that doesn't make them a gin and tonic in my eyes. Want a six-pack to chug that will make you look smarter than the average BMC drinker? Look no further. This goes for all of you who want to move on from Blue Moon and want to impress your friends. If I had more here, I'd probably crack 'em open and think about what could have been. Instead, I'm going to head outside and at least be grateful that I have beers like this to sample in the summer. I couldn't imagine when else I'd have one of these.

JerzDevl2000, Jul 12, 2011