1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

FS 15 V2.0 - Breckenridge Brewery

FS 15 V2.0
No picture uploaded.

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Black Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 10-27-2010)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 8 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
JonathanCrites

4.58/5  rDev +12%

I had this on tap tat the Flying Saucer in Houston. I love the Black IPA style (at least the few I've had).

A - Poured dark with a thick tan head that left lacing on all sides of the pint glass as I drank it. My buddy I was there with said it looked like you could paint with it.

S - I loved the hop aromas that came through mixed with a little dark toast smell. Even though this was ~ 10% ABV I didn't get much alcohol in the nose.

T - Wow. This was a wow beer for me. The blend of the hops of the IPA with the roasted flavor of the malts was delicious. I couldn't taste the alcohol which means to me that it complements the other flavors and is not just there for its own sake.

M - I would rate this a medium mouthfeel. It wasn't thick, went down easy.

D - I rate the drinkability a little lower for the simple fact that while I couldn't taste a lot of alcohol in the beer I could definitely feel it when I finished. Couldn't have much more and be responsible.

Great beer, poured beautifully and met all my expectations as an anniversary brew.

11-15-2010 03:37:52 | More by JonathanCrites
champ103

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

On tap at the Houston Flying Saucer.

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. Some ruby highlights can be seen around the edges. A two finger tan head forms with good retention. Some nice rings of sticky lace are left all the way down the glass.
S: Soapy, piny, and resinous hops up front. Fairly bitter. Light roasted malt and some chocolate.
T: Follows the nose. Up front is a big hop bomb. Soap, pine, resin, and more citrus than the nose. Again, bitter. That quickly fades to a roasted malt flavor and some bitter chocolate. Two different bittering flavors going on that competes with the senses, and does not mesh right for me.
M/D: A medium to full body. Silky smooth and creamy. Not hard to drink. I finished my pint in no time, and could of had another.

This might be the best example I have tried for this stupid style. That is not saying much. The odd mesh of soapy and piny hops with roasted malt and bitter chocolate does not work for me. It is decent however, and if you like the style you will love this. Though for my tastes, not really something I am coming back to.

11-07-2010 15:15:51 | More by champ103
Redrover

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

This was a new addition to he Houston Flying Saucer tap list. I like these Black IPAs. Served in a standard pint glass, the beer is black with ruby highlights. It has a dense brown head & rings of lace. It is a looker!

Nose of pine, some malts and fruit.

Its not overly hopped. There are pine notes but there is lots of caramel and lightly roasted malts. The beer really grew on me, as I got further into it. Some sweetness emerges and then the hops hit you with a backhand to let you know who's in charge.

The mouth is a bit slick with some decent heft.

I think this is a good beer and I'm glad I got to have a few.

10-28-2010 16:04:05 | More by Redrover
Mora2000

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

On tap at the Addison Flying Saucer. This is the second beer brewed by Breckenridge in honor of the Flying Saucer's 15th Anniversary.

The beer pours a very dark brown to black color with a tan head. The aroma is strong on the roasted malt with some piney hops mixed in. The flavor is similar, but I get a lot of chocolate to go with the roasted malt. The pine is present, but is not as strong as in some other Black IPAs. The darker malts are definitely standing out more than the hops, but both aspects are present and enjoyable. The bitterness is present, but it is not that strong. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

10-27-2010 02:10:37 | More by Mora2000
FS 15 V2.0 from Breckenridge Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.