Autumn Ale - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Old Ale |  6.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 10-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +5%

Darker than I thought. But enjoyable to drink near the start of fall. Needed a balance for our other tap and this works. A darker ale

Jypirate, Today at 12:11 AM
2.88/5  rDev -19.3%

boogieman6, Yesterday at 04:05 AM
3.75/5  rDev +5%

I picked up a bottle of Breckenridge Brewery's Autumn Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for some new Fall seasonals to try and this one caught my eye and now that I've seen that BA classifies this is an Old Ale I'm pretty interested to see how this turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a clean and fairly simple looking label that's just slightly eye catching. It poured a brown/mahogany color that took on more of crimson hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice caramel, light toasted, light coffee and caramel like aromas with the caramel sticking out the most. Up next comes a nice nutty aroma that is slightly hazelnut like. This beer had a good aroma, it was very malty and I liked the nutty aspect.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with just a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel still being the aspect that sticks out the most. Up next comes that same nutty aspect that I got in the aroma and it seems to show up just as much. On the finish there's no bitterness with a malty, caramel and nutty aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, it was just about the same as the aroma and the nutty flavors worked nicely with the other flavors.

M- Smooth, creamy, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and while I didn't think this was really that true to style for an Old Ale it seemed more in line with a Brown Ale or Altbier, but either way it lived up to being a fitting a beer for the season. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, creamy, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention. I could see myself drinking a couple of these and I think it would make for a nice beer to bring to a bonfire. What I like the most about this beer was the nutty aspect, it really worked well with the malty flavors and it showed up at just the right amount. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I disliked or would change. I would buy this beer again and I would recommend it to anyone who likes an easy drinking beer that's malty and nutty. All in all I was happy with this beer , it being classified as an Old Ale on here is a little confusing, but once I looked past that I was left with a nice fall time beer. This is one of the better beers that I've had from this Brewery and It's one of the better Fall seasonal s that I've had this year. Good job guys, I enjoyed this beer, keep up the solid work.

StoutHunter, Yesterday at 03:06 AM
3.25/5  rDev -9%

deep golden color with great head a ok lacing. Smells malty. Taste is sweet malt with a hint of caramel. Carbonation and mouthfell is decent and this beer overall is rather light. A good drinker for the summer especially !!!

hophugger, Monday at 02:36 AM
4.24/5  rDev +18.8%

WoostaBia, Sunday at 10:20 PM
3.56/5  rDev -0.3%

JasonL02, Sunday at 09:24 PM

Graczyk, Sunday at 05:36 PM

AdmiralOzone, Sunday at 03:47 PM
3.5/5  rDev -2%

Soft, subtle nose of roasted malt, bordering on hints of light coffee. Molasses and dark caramels in the taste, followed by hops reminiscent of dried leaves. Hints of milk chocolate nibs in the finish. Nothing complex or distinctive, it's a pleasant brew for the falling temps of the season.

BuckeyeSlim, Saturday at 10:24 PM

mattreitz49, Sep 10, 2014
3.56/5  rDev -0.3%

Jrosol1, Sep 10, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -2%

A: deep brown - virtually no ruby even at the edges; 1 finger light tan head that receded quickly to a thin ring; moderate lacing;

S: roasted malt;

T: follows the nose all the way through the finish; very little bitterness;

M: a little thinner that I expected; moderate carbonation;

O: OK; a little one note, but what's there is good:

HamdenHector, Sep 08, 2014
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

I was impressed with the deep rich hue of brown and burgundy. It looks like an Old Ale. The nose holds some dry chocolate, barley malt, raisin and toasted nut. The flavor is barley, toasted nut, dry chocolate, some dried fruit but without sweetness. This is very dry but easily approachable. Breckenridge products seem to have great attributes but are never particularly assertive and this is no exception.

KYGunner, Sep 07, 2014