72 Imperial Chocolate Cream Stout - Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: emmasdad on 01-11-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 72 Imperial Chocolate Cream Stout Alström Bros
3.01/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours black with a 3/4 thumbs width mocha head that completely disappeared before I had a chance to put my glass down. Little if any lacing. Rich and semi-sweet aroma of chocolate, cream, and some coffee, though the chocolate does not shine like I would have hoped. Kind of a weird flavor profile to this, throughout the sip there is this thin but sharp sweetness that hits you alongside the regular flavors of some roasted malt, liquorice, and coffee. A mild chocolate shows itself in the after taste. Thinnish mouthfeel like I have come to expect from Breckenridge's dark beers. Overall, an alright beer that probably isn't worth buying again. Better Breck beers to choose from and far better milk stouts to choose from.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

New to drinking stouts so this was a different kind of taste for me.

A- Dark almost black color with a thin brown head
S- Reminded me of a campfire..very smokey with hints of chocolate
T- Also reminded me of a campfire....at first very smokey and then towards the back you get a
little kick of chocolate
M- Creamy and heavy
O- Like I said new to stouts so this was a new taste for me. Not my favorite but not the worst I've ever had. The smokiness up front was different but had a nice subtle chocolate taste to finish off.

3.04/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle pours black with a nice cap of tan head. Modest retention and decent lace.

Nose smells like a box of chocolate-covered Cracker Jacks. Lots of peanut brittle, smells like a bit of an oddball.

Taste is nutty chocolate with a dusty finish....wierd. Roasty for a milk stout and does not have enough sweetness to call itself a "Chocolate Cream Stout". The flavors are all over the place and never really come together coherently. Mouthfeel is not an issue here as it displays a full body and low carbonation. Not sure what it is, but I do not like this beer very much. I am going to have trouble finishing my 4-pack. Wont buy again.

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

A: Deep black with a medium-brown head that leaves little lace or retention.

S: Bittersweet chocolate & roasted malt. Otherwise it's some harsh, bitter aromas. Why does this happen to some Stouts & Porters?!

T: I get some off-flavors as I do from some Porters such as lake water and cloying lactose sugars. Heavy roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate are enjoyable flavors, though.

M: Body is too thin for my liking. Not enough flavors sticks to the palate. A bit of roasted malt and then it fades.

O: Severely disappointed with this one. Although, I've experienced the lack of aroma and flavor with other Stouts/Porters and I haven't rated them as poorly because I wasn't as realistic with my rating system as I am now. 3 is average and this is an average Milk/Sweet Stout.

3.12/5  rDev -19.8%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown color. The head a nicely uniform one finger khaki shade. It's bubbly yet soft, retaining itself acceptably. Small streaks of lacing are left on the glass.

S: Lots of lactose cream. And I mean a lot. Chocolate also comes through quite well, and combined with the sweet nuttiness also provided, almost gives it a roasted hazelnut vibe. Roasted barley comes out when it warms up. A very likable aroma, actually.

T: Chocolate is prevalent on the opening, fading out past the midtaste. At first, the finishing combination of roasted barley and leafy hops actually do a good job of cutting the sweetness...but only at first. Vanilla and cream soda notes start to accumulate on the palate, drowning out the roasted/hoppy bitterness and replacing it with a cloying sensation. Aside from being too sweet, it's also kind of messy...with just a bit more balance, this one could have been really good.

M: It doesn't have the creamy-yet-dry finish I like in a milk stout. Given how sweet it is, the mildly rough palate isn't a good fit with all of the sweetness running rampant. Drinkable enough, I suppose, if the sweetness doesn't deter you.

O: I really liked the aroma here - wish I could say the same about the flavor profile and palate feel. While it's not bad, it doesn't come together nearly as well as it should.

3.15/5  rDev -19%

Six pack purchased for $10.99 at local Fine wine/Beer store. Poured dark (as expected). Very little head but maybe poured a little too cold.I am a hop-head at heart so rating an Imperial Stout is not my forte.

Mouth feel is thick, taste is coffee then chocolate follows with that hint of cream/smoothness at the end. Aroma is just slightly alcohol that cannot be tasted.

Overall this is a good beer but as a Hop-head I don't have much to compare it to but I would call it a good beer. Nothing is bad at all. A style that I am just not used to but I appreciate the complex tastes that comes along with it. This beer showcases all the good things a stout brings to the table.

3.16/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Very dark with a strong 2 fingers of surprisingly light head. Smells a bit sweet, almost malty. Taste is way sweeter than I was expecting...and almost nothing else. Almost too sweet by the end of the glass. Feels thicker than it should be. Finish is actually a very nice coffee taste. Looks good, smells good, finishes good, but the taste is a bit lacking.

3.16/5  rDev -18.8%

12oz bottle i picked up for $2.99. Dark balck color, thin brown head, looks like a stout to me. Smells very, very faintly of chocolate. Tastes more like a cream stout and I'm not sure the chocolate is even noticeable. I am glad I only bought a single because this was mediocre. I just can't get into Breckenridge brews at all.

3.17/5  rDev -18.5%

Very nice medium milk stout body. Great solid foam nut brown head. Brew stand black with lots of browns, decent clarity too. Mild lacing.

Tons of nuts and milk. Very sweet scent. Tons of milk chocolate. No off scents.

Very bitter, not at all like the scent. Milk chcolate falls apart and miss-delivers. Very chalky and dry on the finish.

All over the board with this brew... Great nose and appearance. But the flavors are a hot mess of chalky flavors. Recommended at the right price of around $3.5/draft; $1.5/12oz...But, I paid $2/bottle and I over paid

3.23/5  rDev -17%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle

A- Pours a dark black color with a dark tan head with decent lacing and retention.

S- The aroma is dark slightly roasted malts and chocolate. Not all that impressed with the aroma, pretty faint and bland.

T- The taste is much better. Dark and roasty up front with some bittersweet chocolate coming through and some warmth from the alcohol in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amout of carbonation.

O- Overall, not bad but I thought this was a pretty average beer within the style. Nothing I would purchase again.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours pitch black, one finger off-white head which fades, decent lacing and nice retention. The aromas are dominated by malt, there's also a touch of milk chocolate blended with some vanilla. The aromas are fine, but the chocolate doesn't dominate and I was expecting a chocolate assault. The flavors are bold, but more on the bitter side. This isn't as sweet as I anticipated. This isn't even close to being cloyingly sweet. The roastiness from the chocolate starts to come through in the flavors. I can taste a hint of coffee and expresso as well. I'd like to say this is bittersweet, but more bitter than sweet. If anything, it's well-balanced. There's a touch of alcohol noticeable, but not much. The mouthfeel is really nice. Smooth and creamy. It's not heavy and thick, but light and fluffy. Medium-bodied. This is beer is really easy to drink.

Nice beer for Breckenridge, but it doesn't really stand out for the most part. There are still qualities I liked and is worth a shot if you see it.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

72 Imperial Chocolate Cream Stout
Breckenridge Brewery
Style: Milk / Sweet Stout
ABV: 7.20 %

LOOK: Pours a dark oily blackish brown with a tan foam. Leaves plenty of lace down the glass. Looks like oily sludge.

SMELL: Milk and dark chocolates, coffee, dark fruits, wood, and alcohol make for a pretty enticing aroma.

TASTE: Roasted malts are used for a espresso taste, along with sweet cream, lactose, date and a twang of astringent flavor. The alcohol presence is strong for a beer that is 7.2%, it drinks like a much stronger beer. Dark chocolate is there more as it warms, leaving a nice aftertaste.

FEEL: Full bodied, smooth and creamy.

OVERALL: A solid brew from Breckenridge. Boozy, but not without some nice chocolate and cream notes. Maybe it was an aged keg? Still was quite drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

My 4 pack was 1.5ish years old, which might have had some effect on the taste.

Almost no carbonation, almost no head. Predominate flavor is dark chocolate. Reminds me of a more dark chocolate Boulder Shake, but with less carbonation, and a little bit of an off flavor also (maybe due to the age of the beer).

I wouldn't run right out and buy again, but glad I bought. Would like to try this fresh on draft.

3.44/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Black with just a small layer of tan head, no lacing.
S - Roasted chocolates, toffee, vanilla, and...licorice, tons of it...
T - Sickly sweet malt, anise, black licorice, vanilla, burnt toffee, a little roasty, chocolate milk.
M - Cloyingly sweet, some alcohol burn.
O - My opinion is semi-biased, I loath licorice with a burning passion, any trace of it, which it is potent in this one, ruins my palate. Aside from that its too sweet, a little boozey, and lacking on balance.

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

pours the customary stout dark brown, sits an opaque black; aggressive pour yields a finger or so of tan head with modest retention and some patchy lacing evident. nose offers milk chocolate with secondary notes of vanilla, roasted malt, and leather.

taste is middling, not really living up to expectations. the chocolate, vanilla, and roasted malt are all there, but just doesn't strike the chords i was hoping for. for one thing the chocolate presence is vaguely artificial. medium bodied mouthfeel with carbonation on the lower side of medium.

overall, it's OK. i didn't have to choke it down but nothing i'd trip over myself to obtain again. too many other better takes on the style out there IMO.

3.46/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into snifter.

A: Pours a pitch black, 1 finger off white head.

S: Not much smell here, slight chocolate tones, a little roasted malt.

T: Roasted coffee, Chocolate, caramel

M: Medium thick bodied, good carbonation

O: Nice drinking beer in one of my favorite styles. Wouldn't go out of my way for it as I don't see much chocolate resemblance as stated in the label however a decent stout regardless.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

This is an opaque inky black beer with 1/4 inch creamy tan head that was short-lived. The predominate smell is roasted chocolate malt, coffee, and dark fruit. The taste is moderately sweet, creamy, mocha. The mouth feel is surprisingly thin for a stout and probably the weakest aspect of this beer. The 7.2% ABV is well hidden. There is no bitterness. I much prefer Southern Tier Chokolat or Mocha to this effort by Breckenridge.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

tried this last night in my Rogue Spiegelau Stout glass

Pour: dark pour that has a frothy cream head .. looks excellent in the stout glass .
Mouthfeel : creamy light kinda velvety
Aroma: to me, very well roasted coffee notes and light chocolate
finish: creamy tart light bitterness

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz Bottle from the Potsdam NY IGA for 3.50$

Appearance - Black/Brown colour with with an average size fizzy/frothy light brown head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some really good lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, light smoke

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and some roasted/toasted nuts. There is also a bit of a smokiness and a bitter coffee flavour and some vanilla. It ends with a grainy chocolatey slightly aftertaste.

Overall - An okay beer.. there's something about it that just doesn't seem right. I feel like I can taste a bit of cheap booze flavour, but maybe I just have a bad bottle.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-pours black with a tan fluffy head with good retention
S-chocolate, lactose, vanilla
T-rich chocolate and vanilla that leaves a sweet chocolate flavor on the finish.
M-medium-full bodied with low carbonation
O-not a bad sweet stout. I think I prefer southern tier's version but I will still get this again

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark brown with a minimal head, minimal lacing. From the bottle into a pint glass.

Smells of chocolate, some sweetness, dark roasted barley. Some alcohol.

Taste is smooth, thick, and almost chewy. Lots of sweetness, some dark fruit, creamy, roasted bread, mollasses, and vanilla.

Overall an ok beer, nothing amazing. There are better beers in this category.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

I had this mouth full of a name beer in a shaker pint.

Appearance- A strong pour results in a sandy color foam that is maybe pencil-width. A dark brown and opaque body sits below the lid looking pretty impressive.

Smell- Very sweet nose has hints coffee creamer and chocolate milk, malty sugars all over the place. It is not large and imposing, but still good.

Taste- The palate scales back the sweet for more roastiness and a little bit of black coffee flavor. The sweet that is evident on the nose shows up again near the finish with some stewed plum. I would appreciate a little more complexity to go with the sweet and roastiness.

Mouth feel- A dry offering with some bitterness of coffee roast is the only thing holding this feel back. Otherwise, the beer is creamy and easy to drink.

Overall- This sweet beer is lacking in complexity and does not quite hit the sweet spot with the coffee creamer flavor. The coffee roast on the palate should be more balanced and noticeable on the nose.

A beer that is not as interesting as the name makes it out to be. Give it a try if you enjoy cream stouts, but do not expect to be blown away.

3.64/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle pour into a Leffe Chalice. *bought as craft pack at WF so may be a bit stale.
**Came back to upgrade this a bit, with a fresher bottle. More lacing and stickiness, not flat at all. (but still too sweet and pruney, fruit cake for me, at least for summer time - still needs a stinky cheese to go with).

LOOK: Black as tar, thick creamy tan head, but first bottle fades too fast and leaves too little lacing. Flat. Prune juice like.

SMELL: Burnt sugar, boardwalk, cocoa powder, confection kitchen, sweet, prunes, hay, alcohol.

TASTE: Creamy, full bodied, licorice first, a melange of chocolate, sweet brown bread, molasses, roast coffee, prunes, flour less chocolate cake, fruitcake, with a sweet finish. (not much hop bitterness). Given the complexity, the mishmash, this is a last beer of the evening brew.

MF. Flattish, but smooth and fat and juicy.

Overall - Complex and a bit messy. Don't need my beers this sweet. Want some heavy cream cheeses, and smelly rind to go with this. Dessert beer - yes! Winter - beer - Yes! Tastes like an aged stout…. Not as good as Youngs Double or Imperial Stouts I have tried.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a near-black with minimal chocolate covered head that disappears quickly, leaving no lacing. A surprisingly muted aroma of roasted chocolate malts with coffee tones. The flavour is more robust, with a nice blend of chocolate milky creaminess and coffee grounds' bitterness in the finish. Roasted dark and chocolate malt tones in the body transition nicely from caramel sweetness to hop bitterness. There's enough dark and milk chocolate flavours to suit the name without being cloying. Mouthfeel is oily, as befitting the 7.2% ABV, but increased carbonation would help my personal enjoyment of this bottle.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

At first I thought the bartender might be to blame, but after reading a few reviews it might be the beer. The beer showed up with no head whatsoever, so I got no aroma at all. The first taste was exceptional, however. I got fresh ground coffee, vanilla, and toffee from the flavor profile. The chocolate profile was so small or nonexistant as I could not pick it up. Perhaps the chocolate is intended as part of the aroma, but as there was no head I could not detect anything.

Barring all the negatives, it still was an excellent beer. I would still recommend it to a friend, and perhaps with a knowledgeable bartender, its full range could be enjoyed.

72 Imperial Chocolate Cream Stout from Breckenridge Brewery