Vanilla Stout - Big Muddy Brewing

Big Muddy Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: cdrogers on 12-05-2011

A traditional Milk Stout infused with pure Madagascar vanilla. Subtle vanilla flavor throughout with roasted notes and a slightly sweet, smooth finish.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 130 | Reviews: 34

Great Stout! The Vanilla really shines through, this beer is pretty thin for a stout but I think it suits this beer well and makes it very drinkable. My favorite beer from this brewery.

So this is the first time I have had a vanilla stout. Wow. I am guessing they are not all this good. The vanilla smell is so pleasant and strong - I love vanilla, so I was super happy about this. The taste matches the smell. Excellent mouth feel and tastes great. Like I said, take this with a grain of salt as I have never had a vanilla stout before, but holy sh*t this is an awesome beer. I loved it.

4.78/5  rDev +29.9%

A: Its a dark black in color. It has a nice creamy tan head great retention.
S: Strong vanilla aroma, not much other notes noticeable but that's okay. Love the smell and aroma of this beer.
T: Vanilla flavor is very noticeable and sweet, but not overpowering. Really nice and smooth on the palate. Cant get enough of the taste. Plenty of sweet vanilla is up front as it should be. Nice balance to the sweetness, with nice hint of chocolate.
M/D: A medium to full body beer. Smooth easy to drink beer that I just cant get enough of.

Big Muddy did an amazing job with this beer, absolutely cant wait to get these in bottles!!

4.52/5  rDev +22.8%

This a nice dark colored beer that smells as good as any beer i've ever had. It taste and smells like a malty vanilla chocolate stout beer. The blend of flavors and smoothness of this beer is outstanding, No bitterness, a pleasant, slightly sweet and vanilla after taste. From a small brewery in Southern Illinois. Don't pass this beer up if you every get a chance to try one

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I found this beer to be very drinkable. The vanilla IS strong up front, but, with balance..not too sweet. Sweet enough though. I would like it to be a little thicker, but, it's not imperial, so, mouth feel is a little on the thin side for my tastes. What it is though, is a very drinkable stout, heavy on the vanilla. Don't expect anything more. It's not complex. Just a straightforward vanilla stout. Sound good to you? Tastes great to me! Very enjoyable. I'd buy it again.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark with a one finger head. Faint smell. The taste is one of the smoothest I've ever had. This beer tastes like cream soda-- I don't know if I like that or not yet. On one hand, there's no bitterness and I love the flavor. On the other hand, it doesn't really taste like beer, per say. It tastes like they just took vanilla abstract and poured it into a stout. The taste lacks depth and I don't feel good about liking this beer.. but I do.

I would certainly recommend this to a friend.

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%

4.12/5  rDev +12%

First time seeing the bottles locally, revisiting this as i've only tried it on tap before. Bomber was $8 which seemed a little high, but on par with similarly packaged beers.

Black with brownish edges, lots of drippy lace in the glass, a bit of a contrast from the draft version. One finger of tan foam rises and sticks to the sides of the glass, thin skim of tan foam across the surface.

Sweet vanilla bean aroma, definitely authentic and very aromatic. Probably the best aspect of this beer, it has a nice trace of underlying cocoa. Similar flavors of cocoa and vanilla, blending more seamlessly and smoothly than the draft version. Light roast, dry finish, not overly sweet at all. Fairly straightforward. Body is a touch light, but it's very drinkable.

4.09/5  rDev +11.1%

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

a: dark brown, almost black. inch of creamy brown head has decent staying power leaving moderate lacing behind.

s: vanilla, chocolate, cocoa, caramel, dark chocolate.

t: vanilla and chocolate, no detectable hops or anything that would make me think this is a milk stout instead of just another vanilla infused stout.

m: a lot thinner than i would of hoped for, pours about the same consistency of soda. carbonation was good, not quite as sticky as i was expecting either. rich and creamy.

o: reminds me of a vanilla cream soda more than a stout. otherwise very drinkable

4.06/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a black color. 1/2 inch head of a tan color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of vanilla, cream, sweet malt, hint of roasted malt, and a hint of hops. Fits the style of a Milk / Sweet Stout. Mouth feel is smooth and creamy, with a cleanness and low carbonation level. Tastes of vanilla, cream, sweet malt, slight roasted malt, and a hint of hops. Overall, good appearance, great feel, but the blend too strongly favorites vanilla.

4.06/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This pours a dark brown color with a foamy, light brown head. The scent is mildly malty with hints of vanilla. The texture is thin yet a little creamy. You can definitely taste the vanilla in the flavor. It’s kind of like a vanilla cream soda with deeper robust flavors. Fairly decent as it’s better than some vanilla beers on the market but I’ve had at least one other beer that was better with its use of vanilla. An easy find for me, but I guess they are a smaller operation.

4.06/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On the nose I get roast, baking cocoa, and slight vanilla. I expected there to be a lot more vanilla, but maybe it'll show itself in a different way.

Its dark dark brown with ruby highlights where the light peeks through. The head is a light mocha that provides interesting lacing that reminded me of hieroglyphics at first.

On my first sip, I found the vanilla. It's like biting into a vanilla bean and scooping out the seed with your teeth. The vanilla is so strong, thats almost all I taste. I get some residual cocoa notes, but this is mostly straight vanilla. It's so good!

Light carbonation and a medium body allow this beer to be enjoyed as a sipping beer, when the alcohol is a bit lower than normal for that designation. It's easy to drink though, and is pretty much desert in a glass.

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Had this on-tap at Kindling in Carterville, IL.

It was as dark as a cola with a nice off-white and dark-tan head with a nice head retention while drinking.

Nice balanced vanilla aroma with a little sweetness and malted notes.

I really enjoyed this one. It got the vanilla for sure, but it was very balanced with the hops and the sweetness in the aroma came through with the taste.

Nice carbonation and well-balanced. Was not heavy at all, quite smooth.

Overall, this is a great stout and I really enjoyed the nice vanilla flavor and aroma. Highly recommend as a regular cold-weather beer.

4.01/5  rDev +9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Vanilla Stout from Big Muddy Brewing