BrewFarm Funk II - Dave's BrewFarm

pDev: n/a
Dave's BrewFarm visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: zeledonia on 11-25-2013)
Reviews by RoamingGnome:
3.91/5  rDev n/a

Dave's Brew Farm Brew Farm Funk#2

Enjoyed on tap at the Sugar Maple. Arrived in a Sprecher snifter. Served chilled...

A) Tough to gage in the lighting at the bar. Based on the flash photo I took, I'd call it a reddish brew. It had a nice finger of white head, which quickly faded. No lacing noted.

S) Tart... Fruity... Some of the fruit was more tart or sour, like green apples of cherries. A bit was sweeter like a little ripe pear. It had a little bready/yeasty aroma. A bit funky... Overall, the scent was pleasantly tart.

T) Follows the nose.... Funky enough for me. You pick up the yeast. It is sour, but not in the category of lip pursing and mouth watering. I was fine with this fact.

M) Medium bodied, with pretty mellow carbonation. This was smooth funk... Is there such a thing? This finishes so clean. That really impressed me.

O) First time I've tried anything from Dave's Brew Farm. I would like to drink more of this...

3.5/5  rDev n/a

3.5/5  rDev n/a

3.91/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Dave's BrewFarm Funk II (BFF-II), 5.5% ABV. Last time I was the ye olde BrewFarm, BFF II was on tap, and BFF I was in growlers. Look what happened this time, I got to enjoy some BFF III on tap, and took this guy home with me. This creates a pattern. Where will we go from here? Where will we go.

I don't know, I just want to drink it.

Lightly hazed, ruby-tinged slim head.

Aroma: Tart 'n' funky. Fruity, but dry, not sweet. Vegetal notes. Remarkably singular.

Taste: Clean hop presence, a tight and tidy buzz, with fruity malt that end dry, and stays crazy. A little bit of creaminess interjects among the fruit.
Who brought the funk? Where did it come from? I'm going to jump ahead, and find out what Farmer Dave says…."Another tart -n- tasty BFF! Pils, abbey, Ashburne Mild and Aromatic malts, hopped with Warrior, Nugget and Simcoe hops and fermented with a Belgian strain. Pairs well with cured meats and creamy cheese!"

I'll have to take their word for that. I've already eaten, and now I'm just drinkin'.
So, no certain word about what caused the funkification, but I'd place a wager on that "Belgian yeast strain." Lacto-? ( I say, because I can't spell baccylyccus.)
Body on this one is lean, funk fades just a bit off the palate, fruit and hoppiness stay around for a welcome while.

If I were a true beer geek, I'd be complaining right now. "Where is the SOUR?!?! How dare you call this a SOUR?" "This is not "IN MY FACE"! It's not even in YOUR face!" "This is not funky enough! This isn't Bootsy Collins, it's PHIL COLLINS!"

That is the sort of things they'd say, if they were clever. In case you didn't know, this type of character that I've drawn is my mortal enemy. One of this type visited my bar one day, several years ago, when I had Two Brothers/Urthel's Moaten Flanders Red Ale on tap. It was described by the brewers as a lighter take on the style. That wasn't good enough for him. "They never should have released it, it's TERRIBLE!" (He didn't even drink any at this visit, had made up his mind earlier from a small sample at a liquor store tasting.)I later saw him at the "Where The Wild Beers Are" event that fall and he said to me: "I didn't know You like sours, Al. After all, You had Moaten on tap."

Those are the times when I wish life was a cartoon, and you could slide a chair under someone's ass, then, with a press of your own private EJECT button, send them flying into the stratosphere.

But, back to the beer:
In short, I like it. It is super groovy. Totally cool, especially supple, fine and lovely.
Yum, yum, yum. I do wish I had those meats and cheese, though. Maybe next time.

BrewFarm Funk II from Dave's BrewFarm
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.